Wolf Fang versions

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ganelon

Wolf Fang versions

Post by Ganelon »

I'd just like to know if there's any difference between the PS and Saturn versions of Wolf Fang (is the "SS" purely cosmetic?). And, for that matter, whether the console versions are different from the arcade version, if anyone has it. Thanks!
PepsimanVsJoe

I can't comment too much.

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

I own the Saturn version (Wolf Fang SS). Memory is a bit faded but the big extra is the addition of an Excellent Arranged Soundtrack. Not much else is different I think and I have no idea what the PS version is like.

Not much help I know, sorry about that.
Ganelon

Post by Ganelon »

Thanks for an answer. I learned that the PS version has the arranged soundtrack as well but that there was some load times starting them (against some bosses?). Do you recall if the SS version had load times when reading music? Also, did the SS version have a Saturn mode to play through everything?
PepsimanVsJoe

Yeah

Post by PepsimanVsJoe »

I was just playing the game a second ago.

There are loadtimes when the music changes..very brief though. I think eventually the difference comes down to price. Whichever you can find to be the most affordable.

Great game anyway.
M0nk3y

Post by M0nk3y »

Excellent, I was gonna ask is Wolf Fang was any good for the Saturn. Is Skull Fang a pre/sequel to WF? And is that any good either?

Cheers
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Skull Fang is a prequel to Wolf Fang, but its not mech-based, and its a vertical shmup.

I personally think that it's an excellent Saturn shmup. If you've ever played Vapor Trail on the Genesis/MegaDrive, it's a lot like that. (Vapor Trail was the prequel to Skull Fang.) Not the best graphics on the Saturn, but still good, and certainly not total rubbish like some people make it out to be.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"