Raiden III PC (Cyberfront Release) Graphical Glitch

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Raiden III PC (Cyberfront Release) Graphical Glitch

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Does anyone know how I can fix this weird glitch where only a section of your plane is showing? Whenever I start the game, it's always like that. Otherwise, everything works just fine. It's annoying though since I can't accurately dodge tight patterns. I do recall that it didn't do that on some older PCs I tried though. I'm running Windows 7 with 4 GB of RAM and an Intel Core i3-2120 CPU at 3.30 GHz on a 64-bit operating system if that matters.
Blinge

Re: Raiden III PC (Cyberfront Release) Graphical Glitch

Post by Blinge »

It's the Raiden series gradually eroding away :|
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

i'm getting really sick of people mindlessly making fun of these games when they are completely and utterly wrong

I also use 64-bit Windows 7 and the game works fine here. Maybe try running it through AppLocale? You should always run foreign programs through AppLocale or through a hard locale change, always.

edit: no, i am not missing your overused and completely wrong point of "raiden iii and maybe iv are strictly worse than the older games"
Last edited by Despatche on Tue Oct 27, 2015 2:55 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

If you think i'm mindlessly making fun of Raiden you've missed the point.
ZellSF

Post by ZellSF »

Try WineD3D:

http://adolfintel.com/index.php?p=wined3d/index.frag

I would not be optimistic though.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Despatche wrote:i'm getting really sick of people mindlessly making fun of these games when they are completely and utterly wrong

I also use 64-bit Windows 7 and the game works fine here. Maybe try running it through AppLocale? You should always run foreign programs through AppLocale or through a hard locale change, always.
I'll give that a try, and all seriousness aside, maybe it's some sort of stealth malfunction on the aircraft :mrgreen:
ZellSF wrote:Try WineD3D:

http://adolfintel.com/index.php?p=wined3d/index.frag

I would not be optimistic though.
I will try this as well, thanks
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

And stating the obvious: throw money at the problem† GOG: Raiden III Digital Edition $9.99.

†(and H2 Interactive who these days seem to shoring up (and/or exploiting) the Raiden franchise more than MOSS).
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Unfortunately neither of those two methods fixed the problem.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Update your graphics drivers. I had this on my old i3 with Intel Integrated until I did a few years back if memory serves. The old Cyberfront release was kinda glitchy like this anyway though, I'd heavily advise getting the GOG.com build.
zaphod

Post by zaphod »

Get a real video card. :)

If you can't do that, cuz it's a laptop, then update the drivers.
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

The game doesn't even launch for me. Haven't been bothered to email to steam support yet though.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Off-topic, but I'm under impression only those who don't play III ridicule it, whereas the response from those who do play (some no good credit-feeders in that number) has been typically favourable.

Closer to the topic - back when I downgraded from GF6800 to Radeon 8500, said Cyberfront release would run and play the same on the latter, with only some pretty minor graphical glitches in the background. All three Shikigami no Shiro games run about perfectly on 8500 too (using WinXP Pro, though).
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

PooshhMao

Post by PooshhMao »

I play Raiden 3 in Wine under Linux using Intel onboard graphics and I don't have any problems whatsoever.
Raiden 4 Overkill should work too, but that one doesn't show graphics beyond the intro movie;
ATTRACTS

Post by ATTRACTS »

Despatche wrote:i'm getting really sick of people mindlessly making fun of these games when they are completely and utterly wrong

edit: no, i am not missing your overused and completely wrong point of "raiden iii and maybe iv are strictly worse than the older games"
Or maybe he was referring to the series disappearing over time, especially with V announced and then abandoned when it comes to news/updates about it. It's ok to lighten up, especially when you've missed the point completely.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Despatche wrote:
Oh, didn't see this edit until now.

Nah that's not the point I was making at all, The only Raiden i've put time into is IV and I'm not a great fan of the series.
My post was just a friendly jab at furry, there was really no point.

Feel free to continue arguing with shadows.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Obiwanshinobi wrote:Off-topic, but I'm under impression only those who don't play III ridicule it, whereas the response from those who do play (some no good credit-feeders in that number) has been typically favourable.
Regardless on my own feelings on Raiden, I just want to say that this isn't very good logic. People who like a game will continue to play it, and people who are turned off by it's gameplay will stop playing it. Sure, there's something to be said for sticking with a game to see if it gets better, but not everyone has the time for that.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Then let me put it this way: the less they play Raiden III, the more offended by it they feel.
The way out is cut off

Squire Grooktook

I can't speak for anybody else, but I don't have anything against Raiden 3. It seems like a perfectly well designed game. I simply do not enjoy playing slow ships (ie grimlin in Dimahoo), so the "permanent focus mode" move speed in Raiden 3 left me uninterested in continuing it after several play sessions.

Outside of one or two people calling it "shit", I don't think many people are particularly offended by it. Although that may be because both 3 and 4 seem somewhat eclipsed by DX, I suppose.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
davyK

Post by davyK »

I picked up Raiden III on an impulse. I wasn't expecting much and I thought it would be some butchered 3D reimagining of a shooting game. It was the PAL PS2 version and it was going very cheap. I have since learned I struck it lucky as it is quite rare and valuable in collecting circles.

At the time I hadn't played an STG that wasn't 32bit or earlier and so I found it highly enjoyable. It's old-school gameplay with modern polish made it a great surprise - it was in fact something I had been looking for for a long time.

The game itself is quite simplistic compared to modern STGs I suppose but the features of the port enhance it. I like the boss rush, the stage specific score attack, the replay support, TATE (and the fact it runs at 60HZ) , and even the odd double mode. I also like the fact you can tame the difficulty level down so that I can 1CC it (though I don't count it as a proper 1CC).

It is, to me, a solid if simple game (which makes it refreshing), very well presented on the PS2, and despite its value, I wouldn't sell it.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

davyK wrote:It's old-school gameplay with modern polish made it a great surprise - it was in fact something I had been looking for for a long time.
That I think sums up what III is all about (Gradius V and Trizeal also fit in). Some of us wanted just what it was when we found it. I hoped Under Defeat would scratch that itch too, but when I got it for my freshly bought PS3, that immediate spark was missing (also, rampant screen wobble rubs me particulary wrong way with vector graphics, where it always is as if the game tried to be old too hard). At the end of the day when a shmup doesn't click with me immediately, I find it hard to develop much fondness towards it (Eliminate Down could be about the only one "second time the charm" shmup for me).

The irony of it all is, Under Defeat came as pretty much the only Japanese post-PSX/Saturn shmup trying to re-create the detail of arcade classics' presentation (maybe R-Type Final tried the same) in the day and age of new shmups looking almost universally cheaper than shmups used to look. Raiden III and Gradius V, on the other hand, knew they stood no chance, economically, to carry that torch into the XXIst Century...
The way out is cut off

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

ATTRACTS wrote:Or maybe he was referring to the series disappearing over time, especially with V announced and then abandoned when it comes to news/updates about it. It's ok to lighten up, especially when you've missed the point completely.
Yeah, no. He was just partaking in the usual circlejerk about Raiden III supposedly being a bad game, which makes up about half the posts of any Raiden III thread.

Raiden III, arguing a "point" oddly similar to STG4WD's regarding Mushi, and having a great example of one of the bigger double standards in this community (one which I thought was starting to die)... if I were creepy and pored over post histories for hours, I'd probably find all sorts of gems. Blinge has revealed himself to be a problem, so i have zero reason to believe him when he says he was "just poking fun :^)"... or when he says anything at all, really.
Squire Grooktook wrote:Outside of one or two people calling it "shit", I don't think many people are particularly offended by it. Although that may be because both 3 and 4 seem somewhat eclipsed by DX, I suppose.
It comes up far more likely than you make it seem. Pretty much every time someone wants to talk about the game, either here or in the channel, you just get memes thrown in your face.

Everyone putting DX on a pedestal is another problem... DX doesn't even eclipse II, nor is it worse than II or III. It's a significantly different game, as is III and IV.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Despatche wrote:
ATTRACTS wrote:Or maybe he was referring to the series disappearing over time, especially with V announced and then abandoned when it comes to news/updates about it. It's ok to lighten up, especially when you've missed the point completely.
Yeah, no. He was just partaking in the usual circlejerk about Raiden III supposedly being a bad game, which makes up about half the posts of any Raiden III thread.
Okay, wow. Once again, The only Raiden I've really played is IV. I haven't played Raiden III and as such have no opinion of it.
So for me to make a serious case that III is a sign of the series eroding when I like its sequel, would make no sense. I've little investment in the series, so go bother someone else with your crusade.

Despatche wrote: if I were creepy and pored over post histories for hours, I'd probably find all sorts of gems. Blinge has revealed himself to be a problem, so i have zero reason to believe him when he says he was "just poking fun :^)"... or when he says anything at all, really.
We've already arrived in creepytown mate. I'm a problem now? Sounds like you're about to hire a shmups-mafia hit on me. Should I be looking over my shoulder? Your 'case' against me makes fuck all sense.
You could've, y'know.. explained the merits of tapping skill for a new-schooler like me instead of this bizarre pettiness.
Obscura

Post by Obscura »

Despatche wrote:Everyone putting DX on a pedestal is another problem... DX doesn't even eclipse II, nor is it worse than II or III. It's a significantly different game, as is III and IV.
I agree with the overall point here, but out of curiosity, what do you see in IV that makes it not straight-up obsoleted by III? It seems like all it really brings to the table is bullet wobble and a poorly-conceived charge-shot mechanic that interferes with both the flash shot score system and the new pause-the-power-up-rotation system in dumb ways.
Squire Grooktook

Despatche wrote:Blinge has revealed himself to be a problem
It was definitely a joke, I know because me and him talked about it beforehand on Steam.

Kinda scary how easily someone gets labeled a "problem". I hope I'm not next!

Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Obscura wrote:It seems like all it really brings to the table is bullet wobble and a poorly-conceived charge-shot mechanic that interferes with both the flash shot score system and the new pause-the-power-up-rotation system in dumb ways.
Playable fairy DLC has to count for something (kept me a little envious of the 360 port owners even when the hacked ROM was already bootable on PC).
The way out is cut off

MathU

Post by MathU »

Despatche wrote:DX doesn't even eclipse II...
When you play both games quite a fair bit I think the refinements of DX over II become more obvious. DX has a much smoother difficulty curve thanks to some stage and boss tweaks, it comes equipped with an autofire button (keeping the lock-on form of the purple laser going through mashing is quite a chore in II), the hidden extras are a nice addition, it has more stages, and the unique Training Mode is a nice addition too. Whether or not the fading medal system in DX is better or worse than II's simpler medal system comes mostly down to taste, but I think the other stuff is pretty objective. The only thing I really miss about II is that great first stage theme. I don't know why they felt like they had to replace that in DX.

Even the developers sort of agree that DX was basically the definitive version of Raiden II, though you might not expect them to say differently even if it weren't the case:
Toshinobu Komazawa wrote:... from our perspective as developers Raiden DX is of course a more polished, finished product than Raiden II. To put it in stronger terms, Raiden DX was the “true” version of Raiden II, incorporating the feedback of the market.

Also Raiden III is a great game. :D One thing I love about it is how the original soundtrack gradually becomes faster and more "techno" as you progress through harder and harder stages. Nice way to amp up the tension. I like it a lot more than Raiden IV's remixes personally.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Hi, i have a question about aspect ratio. It looks like when you choose fullscreen mode, aspect ratio of actual game in yoko is different than when you run it in window.. is it because i'm on 16:9 monitor, so fullscreen is extra stretched automatically?

p.s. i'm kinda surprised that Raiden III looks more cool than i expected (i played Raiden IV and 2d ones before it), love details on stages and bosses.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

Yeah if memory serves I think it's locked to some 4:3 based resolution when running in fullscreen mode. You should be able to make your graphics card compensate appropriately for it in your graphics driver options somewhere so that it displays it at the correct aspect.
Ixmucane2

Post by Ixmucane2 »

Back on topic:
  • I don't remember glitches, or needing locale hacks, running Raiden III on a mediocre Windows 7 laptop.
  • What's the result of running the game natively with updated graphics adapter drivers and updated DirectX libraries?
  • What's the result of running the game with WineD3D using OpenGL with your graphics adapter?
  • What's the result of running the game with WineD3D using Mesa?
  • What's the result of running the game with DxWnd or other DirectX on DirectX wrappers?
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Hey a heads up. I've deleted the off topic posts on this thread.

I keep seeing the same instigators who immediately escalate debate into personal attacks across different threads.

If you continue to negatively disrupt the forum we're going to be handing out bans.

As per the forum rules:
"No personal attacks, threats or harassment of any kind.
Repeated trolling, topic derailing, drive-by one liners, image spam and general offensiveness are not welcome here."

Let's all be a bit more posi, yeah?