Galaga 2005 remake - info (updated with videos!)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Galaga 2005 remake - info (updated with videos!)

Post by Thunder Force »

ImageImageImage

Looking really nice so far. I've pre-ordered my copy already...

key features from Namco's website, roughly translated:
- stages progress towards a galactic destination
- boss battles added at critical points in journey
- improved enemy and bullet design for optimal player visibility
- added depth to scoring system including scoring bonuses
- bonus wireless multiplayer modes for competitive shmupping with your friends
Last edited by Thunder Force on Wed Mar 02, 2005 11:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Wow, that's really looking great.

I LOVE Galaga '88, and this looks like a great new adaption of that game.
This is the stuff that would make me consider buying a PSP for (regardless of my slight Sony antipathy ;)). Is it exclusive?

***heads of to play some galaga '88***
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
Brian

Post by Brian »

Where did you pre-order it from?
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Brian wrote:Where did you pre-order it from?
HERE
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

is there a tate mode?
MadSteelDarkness

Post by MadSteelDarkness »

Tasty....

Thanks for the heads up, Thunderforce!
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

chtimi wrote:is there a tate mode?
By initial information it appears Tate is available only in classic Galaga mode, which lets you play the arcade original by holding your PSP vertically. So the new Galaga 2005 remake seems to be a yoko-only vert, ala Mars Matrix... but this is not 100% confirmed yet...
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

"This is the stuff that would make me consider buying a PSP for (regardless of my slight Sony antipathy Wink)."

My sentiments exactly! That looks like one AWESOME Galaga update!! :shock:

I too would also like to know if this is exclusive.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

The Square button on the PSP got issues!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

True, and even though this game looks awesome it's gonna take more then just one great shmup to make me want to get a PSP.
Farewell to hollow words
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Namco have updated their website with 3 new pics, showcasing the 4 player competitive feature in this installment of the popular franchise. Links below

* Multiplayer setup screen

* Competitive time-attack results

* Demonstration of the side-bar which tracks progress of other players - also showcasing the new double-shot ship and new bugs!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I'm wondering where the Galaga 2005 is coming from. The title on the website says Galaga Arrangement, though it's very clear that it isn't the same Galaga Arrangement in the Namco Classics machine and Namco Museum PS2/GBC/Xbox.
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

BrianC wrote:The title on the website says Galaga Arrangement, though it's very clear that it isn't the same Galaga Arrangement in the Namco Classics machine and Namco Museum PS2/GBC/Xbox.
I guess that means they want us to call the old one "Galaga Arrangement (1995)" and this latest one "Galaga Arrangement (2005)"?

On an interesting note I just found a cool site about all sorts of Galaga stuff :)
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

I have been having a blast playing original Galaga on a friend's borrowed Namco comp joystick at work. If the PSP keeps seeing neat old school remakes like this I will have extra incentive to purchase one eventually.
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Galaga 2005 arrangement videos ahoy!

LINK

That huge bug boss looks like it wants to eat quarters! This sucker needs an arcade release Namco!

Non-boss stages look even better in motion than expected. Very faithful. I love the way the bugs move, and relaxed remixed audio behind the original sound FX. The shmup "killer app" on PSP for old school fans is here. :D
Brian

Post by Brian »

Again, why is this game so easy??
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Brian wrote:Again, why is this game so easy??
Is there no difficulty adjustment? Maybe unlockable... ? I don't get my PSP for another few weeks to start playing my copy on. :oops:
Brian

Post by Brian »

Yes, you can adjust the level. But, I started playing on hard and the game is still very simple. There are minimal bullets and even though the enemies are fast, they rarely come all the way down to your ship. They get close, but never actually touch the same level as the ship.

I have gotten to stage 6 and stopped playing. I love the look and feel of the new Galaga, but the challenge is not there. I would love to see something liek 88, where the progression is clear.
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

Keeping in mind though, that neither Galaga or the '95 arrangement of Galaga were dangerous either for their first 6 stages...
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Just what I was afraid of: that there would be a reason to buy a PSP. I can only hope it's not an exclusive.
chtimi wrote:is there a tate mode?
Please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying to get caught up on the terminology of you who know shooters the way I want to know them. Can someone explain what is meant by 'a tate mode'? Perhaps an example from, say, a classic Saturn game would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
Tony Gradius

Post by Tony Gradius »

Ahem, one of those vids show Galaxian (non-tated). comes the game with the original Galaga too?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Stupid IGN, you have be an insider and pay to watch those vids.
Farewell to hollow words
Thunder Force

Post by Thunder Force »

dave4shmups wrote:Stupid IGN, you have be an insider and pay to watch those vids.
Err... no you don't. Only for the Apple Quicktime versions... use the Windows media versions (unless you're on a Mac :P ) Just click on the big button that says "See it in action"
Tony Gradius wrote:Ahem, one of those vids show Galaxian (non-tated). comes the game with the original Galaga too?
Yep original's included. Now presumably with high-score saving unlike the useless GBA port. And now classic Galaga is fully Tate! (Galaga '05 is yoko, btw)

One of those videos on THIS page shows off the PSP's Tate features. (the one that says "Sampling Multiple Aspects")
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Thanks TF, didn't know about that!

Well Galaga 2005 looks pretty sweet, to say the least, but I ain't shellin' out $250 to play it! Perhaps, in a couple of years when the PSP has a price drop, then I may consider.

I've been thinking that Namco could release Galaga 2005 as a budget (read: $19.99) title for the Cube, XBOX, and PS2. Seriously, when I talk about traditional shooters to people who aren't into such games, the FIRST game they mention is Galaga. It is the most universally loved shmup, hence, IMO, Galaga 2005 would do pretty well as a stand-alone release.
Farewell to hollow words
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

The boss fight vid on IGN looks great. Love that big yellow fly. Too bad Galaga Arranged sounds too easy. That is pretty lame the enemies don't even come down to the same level as your fighter. Still looks fun though.
chtimi-CLA

Post by chtimi-CLA »

professor ganson wrote:Please excuse my ignorance. I'm trying to get caught up on the terminology of you who know shooters the way I want to know them. Can someone explain what is meant by 'a tate mode'? Perhaps an example from, say, a classic Saturn game would be helpful. Thanks in advance.
tate mode = the mode in which the TV (or screen here) is rotated 90° vertically.
classic saturn example: battle garegga has a tate mode. (this mode is often called arcade mode in console ports). the opposite is yoko mode in which your tv isn't rotated but you have black bars on the sides.
upon watching those videos, what the hell have they done to the sounds in the original? that sounds atrociously grating. the boss fights in the new one look boring as hell too, good job
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Thanks, Chtimi. And thanks BrianC, who also helped me out on this.