You really need to play Mecha Ritz

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Shepardus

Re: You really need to play Mecha Ritz

Post by Shepardus »

CStarFlare wrote:Also annoying - my high score seems to have disappeared over night. Last night I put an 8 million score on the scoreboard, which was gone when I booted the game this morning. I'm not sure if it's a matter of me closing the game before it saved, but if it was displayed on the high score table I imagine it should have been saved at that point.
I just played my first credit, and while it saved at first, it disappeared later. My initial suspicion is that it has something to do with UAC and read/write privileges to the install directory, since my score disappeared right after I tried launching the config utility without choosing to run as an administrator (this, by the way, causes the settings to not be saved). I'm playing the Playism version (might be relevant since the Steam version would have a different default install directory) on Windows 7.

Edit: I found my lost score file and replay in C:\Users\<username>\AppData\Local\VirtualStore\Program Files (x86)\Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo, so it's almost certainly due to UAC shenanigans.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

CStarFlare wrote:I wonder if it's due to time - there are two high-level ship 05 replays on youtube, and one actually triples at the end. It happens after Clear Time and Total Rank pop up on the ending screen. The triple has a slightly higher total rank, but the time is almost four minutes faster.

Triple: https://youtu.be/rSG2oLvKaLM?t=20m45s
Double: https://youtu.be/E9Y8VHJFXiM?t=24m39s

The player is Japanese but the videos are really recent so he's probably still active on youtube. No idea if he speaks English, but it might be worth trying to ask him in the comments.
Maybe this is already known, but it doesn't seem to be time (at least not on its own). I got a run with a lower time than the Doubled score video above and didn't get any sort of bonus. Of course, my rank was something like 40% of his - maybe a combination of factors?
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

In the original game the amplification factor is (Max Rank * 10) / (Total time in seconds / 10). It's probably something similar but with Total Rank (which I think is the sum of the rank values at the end of each stage) rather than Max Rank since Steel Rondo reports Total Rank rather than Max Rank.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Amplification might just be the thousands digit of Time at the end screen. But the time bonus formula is hidden so how it's determined is still not shown. I haven't been able to raise time to 2000 from starting rank 0 but if you don't get hit too much it should be doable.
Sean_A

Post by Sean_A »

Thousands on timer makes sense. Also makes sense why the videos select the A routes, since they're shorter.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Zaarock wrote:But the time bonus formula is hidden so how it's determined is still not shown.
In the original game it's 250 + 10 * (# of time bonuses) added each stage, and so far I've seen the same in Steel Rondo.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
JohnsonHanaji

Post by JohnsonHanaji »

We're looking into the matter, and do let us know if it does happen again.
CStarFlare wrote:Also annoying - my high score seems to have disappeared over night. Last night I put an 8 million score on the scoreboard, which was gone when I booted the game this morning. I'm not sure if it's a matter of me closing the game before it saved, but if it was displayed on the high score table I imagine it should have been saved at that point.
We've received reports similarly and working on a fix.
MathU wrote:Just reporting in that I'm having the same issue with the KeyConfig utility not saving remapped movement key inputs.
JohnsonHanaji

Post by JohnsonHanaji »

Also, though the Playism release has already been mentioned. I wanted to quickly mention that the 10% discount will only last till next Tuesday, June 21st.

Playism store page - http://bit.ly/MechaRitzPlayism
Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo $6.99 ($6.29 with 10% off)
Original soundtrack $4.99 ($4.49 with 10% off)

As for the Steam soundtrack bundle, the 25% discount will expire on Friday, June 17th at 15:00 PST. Afterwards it'll revert to a 15% discount.
MathU

Post by MathU »

It seems that your CBP Training score gets recorded alongside Standard mode scores on the rankings table if you exit by killing yourself via holding Shot + Bomb + Skip.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Zaarock wrote:Amplification might just be the thousands digit of Time at the end screen. But the time bonus formula is hidden so how it's determined is still not shown. I haven't been able to raise time to 2000 from starting rank 0 but if you don't get hit too much it should be doable.
yakamino says it's total rank / total time * 1.66, with the decimal truncated.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

So on course 4A, is there a reason the bomb invincibility stops being a thing? I thought I was taking a lot of hits I shouldn't, and suddenly I died with a bomb on screen. Seems like a bug, and may or my not be starting midway through the stage - will have to test later, but wanted to ask if anyone else experiences this.

EDIT: Played again and this didn't happen. I do think I was happening back when I first started playing, before 4B was unlocked - it's been a week since I went to 4A though.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Shepardus wrote:
Zaarock wrote:Amplification might just be the thousands digit of Time at the end screen. But the time bonus formula is hidden so how it's determined is still not shown. I haven't been able to raise time to 2000 from starting rank 0 but if you don't get hit too much it should be doable.
He also said this is an unintended bug only in version 1.51 (unpatched physical release). Without it milking the last boss is worth more points than increasing rank or clearing quickly, which I hope isnt as broken as it sounds. I saw ozouni stream the steam version and he seems pretty good at it, got 15mil with type-01.

With some of the ships your invulnerability after bombing is on a timer rather than depending on the bomb being on screen, not sure about type 1
MarioNintendo

Post by MarioNintendo »

Just wanted to chime in and say thanks for making me aware of this game's existence! To me, it plays like a fusion of Recca and Battle Garegga, and I absolutely love it. Definitely recommended!!
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Tryed this one just now, got a lot of those disappearing bullets. Not a good sign, right? But I can get better. 772.330 in my first try, so I'll wait until a got a decent score for the highscore thread
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Disappearing bullets is dependent on rank. In the original Mecha Ritz it happened when rank was below 50; I'm not sure what the values are for Steel Rondo.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
neontropics

Post by neontropics »

Loving this game (Steel Rondo version) so far, it completely nails the aesthetic and sound. Haven't cleared it yet though, got what I *think* was the final form of the last boss to a sliver of health before I died on my best run so far.

Very inspiring game as well since it does a lot with pretty simple graphics almost no ship animation.
wgogh

Post by wgogh »

Is it possible to get the TATE aspect?
neontropics

Post by neontropics »

wgogh wrote:Is it possible to get the TATE aspect?
I didn't find a tate option in game, but I just oriented my windows resolution in tate mode and then the game scaled correctly giving you a tate screen.
MarioNintendo

Post by MarioNintendo »

It's not much, but here's my current high score (after 3 tries)

My highest rank is 34
Mischief Maker

Post by Mischief Maker »

Just bought and 1cc'ed it with the Red ship.

Is there no autofire key for this game?
Spoiler
Also, is the exploding teddy bear always the final boss, or do you get a TLB if you kill it at high enough rank?
Two working class dudes, one black one white, just baked a tray of ten cookies together.

An oligarch walks in and grabs nine cookies for himself.

Then he says to the white dude "Watch out for that black dude, he wants a piece of your cookie!"
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

No autofire key unfortunately. The TLB requires that you don't run out of time on the timer in the status bar. To some extent this entails raising rank since getting time bonuses from killing midbosses and bosses quickly, in addition to giving points, also increases the amount of extra time you get at the end of the stage and raises rank. Your shot power is also tied to rank, in the original Mecha Ritz it was a direct correlation but it seems to work a little differently in Steel Rondo and has other factors involved as well. Same with the scrolling speed of the game.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

I really hate playing with any other ships but the first two. I just can't figure out how to deal the most damage possible to bosses within the bonus time limit without Ship 1 and 2.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Zaarock wrote:
Shepardus wrote:
He also said this is an unintended bug only in version 1.51 (unpatched physical release). Without it milking the last boss is worth more points than increasing rank or clearing quickly, which I hope isnt as broken as it sounds. I saw ozouni stream the steam version and he seems pretty good at it, got 15mil with type-01.
So, the multiplier not in the Steam release at all (or the patched physical release)? It seems Ikazu didn't get anything despite being well over what he'd need in rank and well under in time.
Ikazu-san wrote:Steel Rondo cleared in 16:24
It's pretty imperfect. I'm sure sub 16 minutes is possible but is too much for silver shitter like me.
Power of 480p60!
Edit: Apparently fraps messed up everything in stage 3 and onwards. Time to record it again.
Edit 2: Replaced video with proper one.
It's a very odd thing to be a bug - how would that happen at all if not programmed in?
Ikazu-san

Post by Ikazu-san »

http://i.4cdn.org/vg/1467916813584.webm
Them I-frames are getting out of hand. Funny thing is, right after that incident, everything started to behave perfectly and without a hitch.
1. Unusual Weaponry
2. Short Words
3. Blind(ing) Fire
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

Got this on steam over the weekend, been playing it a bunch. The fact that one person did all the programming/art/music for this amazes me. i think its a masterpiece in both programming and music, and the art has enough detail in it that the "lo-fi"-ness feels like a valid aesthetic choice, not a darling-indie-precious gimmick. The bullet patterns never get too pretty for their own good either; they're always really fun to dodge through.

I didn't see a strategy thread (?)... curious what ships everyone likes. I think my first clear was on 02, but i've really enjoyed playing 01 and 04 too. My favorite though, by far, is 05... first time I've ever really enjoyed a grazing mechanic, and it seems like the most powerful ship to me so far? 06 had a really unique style too--the way you have to alternate tapping/holding, using the tapshot for most kills, but then clearing a lateral "escape path" with the held shot.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
JohnsonHanaji

Post by JohnsonHanaji »

Quick note. Mecha Ritz: Steel Rondo and its soundtrack are currently on sale with 10% off on Playism. If you buy it there, it includes a DRM-free copy and a Steam key as well.

Store link: http://bit.ly/MechaRitzPlayism
NuclearPotato

Post by NuclearPotato »

Question about the freeware version: can anyone actually access the download link? It seems to be redirecting endlessly on itself for me.
tate

Post by tate »

NuclearPotato wrote:Question about the freeware version: can anyone actually access the download link? It seems to be redirecting endlessly on itself for me.
It's not just Mecha Ritz. http://www.freem.ne.jp appears to be down.
MX7

Post by MX7 »

Downloaded Steel Rondo last night. Initial thoughts: it's like an amalgam of the criminally underrated Yalkina Shoot and recent Jeff Minter STGs. Maybe with a bit of DDPDFBL's 'push rank for firepower' gimmick too. It's great, though a bit mechanically overwhelming initially. Can you set starting rank on this version?
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

MX7 wrote:Can you set starting rank on this version?
Yeah, you can set it on both versions. You just need to unlock the ranks to start there first.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.