You really need to play Mecha Ritz

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Lethe

Re: You really need to play Mecha Ritz

Post by Lethe »

Cool. I was thinking the game was abandoned since the translation bug was left standing for so long. Here's hoping for better ship viability and less dumb scoring.

Speaking of dumb I've uploaded my 14:41 speedrun attempt from last year, wherein I spend several minutes slow scrolling and generally play fucking atrociously, but I can't find any other sub-15 runs on Youtube, so it might be the fastest known time? I expect a sufficiently motivated player could outdo it in a day.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Ayo, happy to play the necromancer today. We've got a Switch release of Steel Rondo incoming: https://www.nintendo.com/store/products ... do-switch/

Very excited to give this a spin - never picked it up on Steam. I bought Dezatopia some time ago, but I couldn't get into the manic mechanics. Liked the style, though, so glad to get something a little more classically designed.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I know it has nothing to do with the game, but the title makes me think of this.
beer gas canister

Post by beer gas canister »

Very excited for the Switch release!
jehu

Post by jehu »

2.0 is out on Switch.

If anyone with more experience in the game could detail what the changes from previous versions are, I'd be in your debt.

A Wiki would not hurt to have for the game - is there one? I got the blind 1CC, but with an all-too humble rank. I think I've been able to see most of the alt-stages. Admittedly, no clue what I'm doing most of the time. OST is filled with absolute bops, though, so I'm enjoying the ride.
ummo

Post by ummo »

So I took the advice of this forum and I'm glad I did. Purchased it today on the Switch. This game is addictive!
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

jehu wrote:2.0 is out on Switch.

If anyone with more experience in the game could detail what the changes from previous versions are, I'd be in your debt.

A Wiki would not hurt to have for the game - is there one? I got the blind 1CC, but with an all-too humble rank. I think I've been able to see most of the alt-stages. Admittedly, no clue what I'm doing most of the time. OST is filled with absolute bops, though, so I'm enjoying the ride.
The scoring is very different. Overall there's much more of an emphasis on honest survival and scaling score bonuses. For example, previously, the Silvergun-like sweet spots only existed on bosses and gave a flat bonus, and could be activated during a bomb. In 2.0 the spots are present in stages, the bonus value scales up the more you reveal but drops harshly if you get hit, and the spots are invulnerable during bombs. There are also no-miss, no-bomb, all-sweet-spot and scaling time bonuses on bosses. There's a clear directionality of NMNB > no-miss > no-bomb, while leaving space for situational exceptions. So that it's actually possible to do these things, the patterns, ships and rank have been overhauled. I was easily able to hit rank 500 with Mecha C1 and even stay on it for a while which would have been unthinkable pre-2.0.

The sweet spots cause mini-bullet cancels which can be abused to create gaps in e.g. 3B Apple's lanes and make them safer to chase after during stages. When cancelled, some bullets get downgraded to smaller/slower versions instead of cleared. This might serve as a replacement for the fake bullets in older versions, where the game would create rank-intermediate patterns by spontaneously deleting some of the bullets. It also means that streaming into a corner with a grazing ship isn't a 100% trivial escape any more, because some of the bullets will survive and clog up the screen, which of course can in theory be taken advantage of for more grazes.

What else... the early stage bosses have less phases. Stage 4B and Veloce-B/Veloce-2's first forms are completely different. Both TLB final patterns are bomb immune, and Veloce-2's rings are now sweet spots instead of destructible. So it's still possible to milk it (with a presumably absurd skill ceiling), but not worth doing until you've mastered the rest of the game, which has gotten much more complicated, but also much less bullshit. There's more and different slowdown, a bit more Cave-y, which is something I'm never sold on. A million other smaller things.

Also it controls way way way better than before thanks to using a newer engine fork and OpenGL + SDL2 instead of DirectX 9. The hitboxes are not at all forgiving in this game, so being able to dodge better feels nice.

Edit: Recommend looking at the new in-game manual, it explains things in much more detail than the old one. Doesn't mention the new 12k point item though.
beer gas canister

Just noticed the select button disables focus fire. It'd be nice to have the controls labelled in the manual somewhere.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

For PC players, enabling sleepless rendering via Special K kills all the forced slowdown. Much more enjoyable IMO, enough so that I'll probably not be playing the stock version from now on.
hamfighterx

Post by hamfighterx »

Almost overlooked this because the Switch eShop art (and the app icon) is so bad. Shame they couldn't have done a better job making that first eshop impression, because the presentation kinda screams shovelware trash.

Glad I remembered the name and then refreshed my memory from this thread, otherwise I would have ignored the game.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

Yep, the Switch port of Mecha Ritz has a whopping 42 page manual -- managed to do a 1cc with no lives in reserve on the teddy bear boss (which unlocks the green colored fightercraft as well on the second play through) on my very first try at it with final "C" overall ranking -- not bad for a five stage endowed stg title. I've noticed that if you play a serious session in yoko, the resulting superplay run will also be shown in yoko (whilst if played in tate, the superplay will be shown in tate as well). Go figure.

Really nice bonus to be able to watch your superplay runs if so desired (not mentioned on the USA region eShop site Mecha Ritz listing whatsoever) -- just select Ranking and then select whatever score you managed last and it'll boot up by simply pressing button "A" -- pressing button "B" cancels the superplay run -- press right on the left analog stick to increase the playback speed and press left on the left analog stick to decrease the overall playing speed of the superplay. Easy as pie.

No online leaderboards with the Switch port of Mecha Ritz this time around as it's all "off-line" indeed. Looks quite polished on a 2nd gen OLED endowed Switch setup.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Forgive me if I missed this, but will the update be coming to the DRM-free version of the game on PC? If my Humble library is accurate the version there was last updated in 2016.
beer gas canister

Managed to pull of a clear yesterday. This is a really slick game. I'm not very good at shmups but it offered a stiff challenge the whole way through, scraping by on my final life with no shield remaining. That rank system is quite a thing.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

C2 damage is a little bit silly...

BulletMagnet wrote:Forgive me if I missed this, but will the update be coming to the DRM-free version of the game on PC? If my Humble library is accurate the version there was last updated in 2016.
They didn't give you a Steam key too? Ironically the Steam version is DRM-free.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Lethe wrote:They didn't give you a Steam key too? Ironically the Steam version is DRM-free.
I do have the Steam version, and if I can make a backup of that I suppose it really isn't a necessity to update the standalone version (appreciate the tip); hopefully most of the folks who own the game on Humble (I think that's the only other place you can get it?) are aware of that fact.
Nugs

Post by Nugs »

Very interesting game. I do wish it had an auto fire and focus fire button as well as customisable controls.
My thumb is sore by the end of the run from button mashing.

Managed to clear it with what I think is the good boss at a low rank on my first playthrough with no idea what was going on. But it throws so many resources at you it's hard not to clear it.
Also cleared with a different boss on the next run.
Now need to figure out the details, try some different mechas and see if I can get a decent score.
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

I'd like to draw attention to this video, a full run from the game's premier player, featuring a secret that drains time to 0 for a quicker final boss.
jehu

Post by jehu »

Lethe wrote:I'd like to draw attention to this video, a full run from the game's premier player, featuring a secret that drains time to 0 for a quicker final boss.
Wow, Lethe, thanks for sharing. I had no idea about the early secret, and the arranged OST. This, I have to assume, is a new 2.0 thing, right? So cool.
CRP

Post by CRP »

Mecha Ritz & Dezatopia - Strictly Limited Games !
https://twitter.com/gosokkyu/status/1597795727283212288
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

https://youtu.be/7PnoFlX_IUs

Mecha ritz and dezatopia double pack officially announced
Pre-order 12/4 for those interested
Lethe

Post by Lethe »

New play from the guy linked above, this time nearly reaching a counterstop via the vast power of G1 micro.
CRP

Post by CRP »