Is the Neo Geo CD System good for shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

dave4shmups wrote:So does anyone know where I could get a one-slot consolized MVS? I really don't want more then one slot.

1 slots don't consolize that well due to the shape and exposed wires. Although they work well, cosmetically they arent all that nice to look at.

2, 4 and 6 slots are rectangular and flat are ideal for consolizing, look nice etc. And you save wear and tear on your carts by having more slots.

As for RGB, you can get rgb from the jamma connector, but mine is not modded to output a raw RGB signal. It would cost about $50 to do that as an internal mod. To get RGB from the jamma harness would be cheaper. Component video mod is about $150.

I will sell my 2 slot for $300. As it has the bios upgrade already installed, a PC converted pad, a memory card and PSU, the cables. Its all ready to go.
This industry has become 2 dimensional as it transcended into a 3D world.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

You can kill two birds with one stone!

:lol:
PsikyoPshumpPshooterP

Post by PsikyoPshumpPshooterP »

how much are you selling the whole unit as pictured above

Edit: OK NVM..300 bones
The cave whore count in this thread is unbelievable!!!
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Wait a sec! How did you fit an MVS cartridge into a Neo Geo CD unit?? :shock:
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
raiden

Post by raiden »

You can kill two birds with one stone!
are you implying the CD unit still works on that system? Because then I´d be very interested in getting to know how you (or someone else) did that.
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

It was a joke. Obviously the Neo CD casing is used to house the 1 slot.

The origonal parts of the Neo CD have been gutted out to make room for the 1 slot. It was just a project someone did over at neo-geo.com.

I've seen them make consolized units out of everything but the kitchen sink.

So nobody is interested in my 2 slot then :(

Oh well, I guess it goes up on the bay then.
zubiac

Post by zubiac »

great to hear all that stuff
I can get a NeoGeoCD for 70euros but I was worried that the loading times would kill me.
but now i'll get it for sure
whoopie
War is in my Heart -- Death is by my Side
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Loading times are only bad for fighters really.

Some of the best games are pretty expensive and hard to come by though.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

How much do you think a Neo Geo CD unit that's been converted into a one slot MVS, like the one in your pic, would cost me over at neo-geo.com?

Your unit looks nice, but again, I really don't want more then one slot. It's like a CD player, I don't care for one's that can hold more then one CD.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Dave, they might be around the same price. I 've seen 4 slot consolized MVS selling for $500.00
Ritchie's 2 slot seems like a good deal for $300.00.
If I didn't already have control panel joysticks with a modded X-BOX with Kawa-X...I'd be all over that 2 slot.
When and if I buy into the world of Neo-Geo, I would much prefer a 29" Candy 4 slot cab with rotatable monitor. (should cost around $600.00)
BIG

Post by BIG »

TWITCHDOCTOR wrote: When and if I buy into the world of Neo-Geo, I would much prefer a 29" Candy 4 slot cab with rotatable monitor. (should cost around $600.00)
I think most candy's have rotatable monitors,just a pain to do it since they do weight about a ton..:(

BIG-
BIG

Post by BIG »

dave4shmups wrote:How much do you think a Neo Geo CD unit that's been converted into a one slot MVS, like the one in your pic, would cost me over at neo-geo.com?

Your unit looks nice, but again, I really don't want more then one slot. It's like a CD player, I don't care for one's that can hold more then one CD.
Dave,that's a really good deal at $300 for that two slot. I've seen quite a few that sold for $400+.

Also,the NGCD tend to handle Neo-Shmups quite well. Loading time isn't all that noticeable,if at all in most cases. However,if you want a complete library of games,you might want to go MVS instead,since the games are abundant,and more cost effective than its CD/AES counterparts.

BIG-
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

PLus, MVS carts aren't getting any newer, nor do they still make em. (I mean the older titles)
Its better to have a multi slot, to reduce the amount of plugging and unplugging the carts in and out.

Remember when you had a new cart based console? The carts fit in there really snug. Well, age takes the word "snug" right out of the picture.
Example:
I borrowed a friends AES and you had to be very carefull how you installed the carts. If you pushed em all the way down, they wouldn't work.
You have to gently let them "seat" in there...its all about "feel".
Hell, my SNES and most of the older carts act the same way. Although, the Genesis and its carts seem fine all the time.

This is the main reason why people replace the interface/pin in their 8-Bit NES. No more loose fitting carts!
neorichieb1971

Post by neorichieb1971 »

Dave, you can hacksaw it in half for all I care, then you will have one slot only :D
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

I've got a spare 1 slot MVS I'd be willing to sell for $100. It isn't consolized, but it does have the universal BIOS.