shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Thu Feb 27, 2020 8:17 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
 Post subject: Re: You really need to play Eschatos
PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2020 10:51 pm 

I have played and cleared Advanced Normal and enjoyed it back then but not as much as Original and its simplicity from what I recall.
With the F-bomb management and the purple crystals, Advanced seems like a mode where the new mechanics can be interesting if you get into them, but not as elegant as Original's core design. However, I'll give it this : It manages to make powerups/power levels actually interesting on a decisional level and does something to justify their inclusion. Whereas the huge majority of shmup powerup systems plain fucking suck and are only there to make the operator see another player put his credit in the cab sooner and/or skinnerboxing the new players into thinking their shots are becoming awesome after grabbing them even though they only feel this way because the default power is terrible.

You can choose to play agressively with the max power but the shield takes a hit...or you can try to be more balanced in your approach and give up the suuupaa wide JSS-style shot for a bigger safety net. And there might be sections where the shield is also the best offensive option so it's not even as if the shield was just a panic bomb you can stop thinking about if you get good enough at the game. I don't know how said yo-yo works at high level, but on paper and at a standard level it theoretically isn't as janky as you would think. It's risk-reward management and knowing your limits. Don't get too hungry for power but don't play it too safe.

It has been a while since I've played this mode though, so I may have to give it some tries again and see how much I like it now.

As for Original, I wouldn't say the speed isn't important. You're right that the multiplier is the main factor but since the time bonus is multiplied for each wave, the difference can be pretty noticeable once the multiplier is high. Both aspects are important and when you have decided you want to score in this game, you will definitely take care of both aspects. My issue was mostly that there isn't any organic pull for me to get involved into the scoring. I don't feel any real-time unlocking of bonus waves that makes speedkilling instantly rewarding for me.
It's just...not juicy enough I guess. Image

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2020 1:06 pm 

I keep getting the error message "Failed to initialize sound device" as soon as I press start on steam. The application refuses to work. I've tried uninstalling, reinstalling. I've disabled all sound devices, reinstalled sound drivers. Deleted the config file. It never ends. And it's the only game I have doing this. All my other steam shmups work fine. Can anyone help with this?

EDIT: I managed to get a pirated version to work. But it's quite sad. Dunno why I should pirate a game I've purchased! This is why I hate PC gaming so much, because of all this troubleshooting that comes with it.

EDIT2: running the pirated version of the game seems to have fixed the steam version!! I think I figured out the problem. The problem only occurs when I change the music version from "original" to "arranged". Dunno why this is happening, iirc i paid extra for the arranged sound!

I guess moral of the story. Piracy saves the day. lol

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 2:29 pm 

My Steam version works but the moment I select arranged music in the menu the game crashes :(

If anyone has a fix for this I would be very happy!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2020 7:07 pm 

rtw wrote:
My Steam version works but the moment I select arranged music in the menu the game crashes :(

If anyone has a fix for this I would be very happy!

I have the same issue, I'm still trying to figure it out. Weird because it was working perfectly fine last week with arrange music.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 20, 2020 6:17 pm 

Weird. Arranged is working today!!! I changed nothing!

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:58 am 

Well this explains everything!Image

Sent from my SM-N960F using Tapatalk

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 21, 2020 7:21 am 

mastermx wrote:
Well this explains everything!

Nice to see it is fixed, strangely the steam update info is kind of silent about it!

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 217 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 4, 5, 6, 7, 8