You really need to play Eschatos

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Chacranajxy

Re: You really need to play Eschatos

Post by Chacranajxy »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:
MathU wrote:If it's not crippled with Steam DRM I'm getting this in a heartbeat. Please don't mess this up Degica.
GOG.com

Please.
That's probably going to come down to GOG.com, more than anyone else. They can be pretty shitty with their attempts at curation, and there are plenty of occasions where they've passed on great games.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

From the Degica Shmups Thread:
Blackbird wrote:I'd like to bring them to GOG, but I didn't get much interest initially because it's not as much of a cult phenom as Crimzon. With DeltaZeal on the way now, I can probably work on them a bit more.
(This was in reference to XIIZeal)

GOG's more selective than Steam in what games they choose to distribute, but I'd say a CAVE release stands a good chance of getting on GOG.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Yeah, "the last", "the extreme", etc. It's about the end of the world.

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=eschatology

"Eschatology Listeni/ˌɛskəˈtɒlədʒi/ is a part of theology concerned with the final events of history, or the ultimate destiny of humanity. This concept is commonly referred to as the "end of the world" or "end time".

The word arises from the Greek ἔσχατος eschatos meaning "last" and -logy meaning "the study of", first used in English around 1550.[1] The Oxford English Dictionary defines eschatology as "The department of theological science concerned with ‘the four last things: death, judgment, heaven and hell’."[2]"

-wikiz

Pretty rad title if I do say so myself.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Iaspis

Post by Iaspis »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Pretty rad title if I do say so myself.
Agreed. Being Greek myself, the title sounded fantastic from the start. Multiply that by 1000 for being a shmup title and there you have it. Awesome.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I'll be doing a mini-preview of Judgement Silversword on tonight's livestream, if you're interested.

8PM EST @ http://www.twitch.tv/degigames

otoed1

Post by otoed1 »

I'm not playing eschatos right now because there are no emulators for it and im poor and don't want to try and flash + region unlock my xbox 360. All this hype about it makes me want it tho...
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

On 360 it's region free and there's a budget re-release.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

It'll be coming to PC in a few weeks anyway.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Blackbird wrote:I'll be doing a mini-preview of Judgement Silversword on tonight's livestream, if you're interested.
game so good wonderwitch 4eva
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Domino

Post by Domino »

I never played Eschatos before. Will I be redeemed when it comes out to Steam?

On a serious note I always prefer the Non-Dankmaku shmups so Eschatos is right up my alley.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Domino wrote:I never played Eschatos before. Will I be redeemed when it comes out to Steam?
Only if you play it.
Domino

Post by Domino »

Special World wrote:
Domino wrote:I never played Eschatos before. Will I be redeemed when it comes out to Steam?
Only if you play it.
And if I love it? :D

I mean this screams me all over yo.
Special World

Post by Special World »

Expanded this post a bit for my blog: https://catstronaut.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -eschatos/

Eschatos comes out tomorrow. If you haven't played it yet, you should be hype of the century.
awry

Post by awry »

Can't wait to play The Single Greatest Scrolling Shooter Of All Time™.

It seems that the OST blares louder and louder in my head as the game's release approaches.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

Looks like Judgement Silversword + Cardinal Sins is a separate title
http://store.steampowered.com/app/278510/
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Special World wrote:Expanded this post a bit for my blog: https://catstronaut.wordpress.com/2015/ ... -eschatos/
That's some good Eschatovangelism there.
Gespenst wrote:Looks like Judgement Silversword + Cardinal Sins is a separate title
http://store.steampowered.com/app/278510/
Kind of disappointing, but not surprising.
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

We set up the pages so if you *only* want JSS (for whatever reason) you can get it as a standalone product. However, you can also get it in the Eschatos Wonder Pack bundle, in which case you basically get it for free with Eschatos and the OST.

Eschatos release is in 4 hours. If you get the game, please consider spreading the word. LP's on YouTube, playing on Twitch, leaving Steam reviews, etc... all of these things help to spread awareness about our games and help us keep localizing new ones.

I hope that you will enjoy Eschatos and that it meets your expectations. See you on the leaderboards soon!
MathU

Post by MathU »

Any word on DRM yet?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

It's the same as our previous releases. Initial check to see if you own the game, then after that it can be played in offline mode.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Not much left till I finally get to try this game out. I am pumped because I have heard so much about it from shmuppers. Wanna see if it lives up to the hype.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Be sure to keep at it. A lot of what makes it great are little oldschool nuances that become more and more apparent and important as you play.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Blackbird wrote:It's the same as our previous releases. Initial check to see if you own the game, then after that it can be played in offline mode.
That's really too bad. I wanted to play this.
Special World

Post by Special World »

***Just Your Daily MathU Post***
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

MathU, did you ever buy a game for a console? In that case, how did you manage to deal with the DRM situation there? Compared to consoles, the minimal to nonexistent DRM of PC games on Steam if laughable. I really don't get what you get upset about. Steam games are cheap and convenient. Yes, I like physical products as well, but when I consider that I can get a full game for a lot less than I used to pay for shipping and import taxes, I'd say it's a pretty damn great deal --- and I fully expect that games on PC will be accessible for far longer than on any console, and with much less hassle. (Tried setting up your NES recently?)
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

This game is really something, never played a shmup like this before. What difficulty is considered the arcade standard for this game?
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

mastermx wrote:This game is really something, never played a shmup like this before. What difficulty is considered the arcade standard for this game?
Hard mode.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Man the music in this game is very very good. I don't think that I'll tire of it even after hundreds of runs. Other shmups need to take notes.
Legendary Hoamaru wrote:
mastermx wrote:This game is really something, never played a shmup like this before. What difficulty is considered the arcade standard for this game?
Hard mode.
Thanks
awry

Post by awry »

MathU wrote: That's really too bad. I wanted to play this.
I'm curious about how a one-time check prevents you from enjoying the game or inconveniences you in any way.

Because this is the most minimal DRM I've ever seen. Way less DRM than on consoles, where you can't even copy/modify a game's files.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Bonus! wrote:MathU, did you ever buy a game for a console? In that case, how did you manage to deal with the DRM situation there? Compared to consoles, the minimal to nonexistent DRM of PC games on Steam if laughable.
No, what's really laughable here is this trend in recent years for Steam apologists to try and equate dedicated hardware to DRM. This attempt to redefine the definition of DRM so it makes Steam look like less of a piece of shit is what's laughable. Where is the limit when you define DRM like this? Is an operating system DRM because a game is only developed for it? Is a monitor DRM because you can't play a game without seeing it? Any day now they will be calling oxygen DRM just because you need it to play a game. It is a tactic to remove the utility of the phrase and obfuscate discussion about a genuinely anti-consumer practice.

So let's be clear on our terms here: DRM is an unnecessary background process that runs alongside another program whose sole purpose is to police the user's legitimate use of it. This is what I'm entirely fed up with dealing with and I'm keeping my money if a publisher can't respect my desire to run a game without this shit.

I will remain hopeful that Eschatos gets a DRM-free release on GOG or wherever at some point. It'll be sad if I have to wait six months later as happened with Crimzon Clover: World Ignition but as a scrolling shooter fan I am very patient.

awry wrote:I'm curious about how a one-time check prevents you from enjoying the game or inconveniences you in any way.
It wastes resources and makes me fork over some level of control over my computer, something that as a PC enthusiast I value very much.

Now ask yourself this: why should any customer be treated this way in the first place? Do you think Steam is preventing any piracy here? Raiden IV Overkill was cracked in mere hours of release and I doubt the story will be any different with this game. So the paying customer gets punished while the pirate gets the better experience.