DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
oso

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by oso »

Heads up that the game and all the DLC are heavily discounted on the PS4. Good time to pick it up if you haven't.
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

oso wrote:Heads up that the game and all the DLC are heavily discounted on the PS4. Good time to pick it up if you haven't.
I see the discounts on Steam, but not PS4. Am I too late?
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

prophetic wrote:
oso wrote:Heads up that the game and all the DLC are heavily discounted on the PS4. Good time to pick it up if you haven't.
Oso should have said its region specific, EU to be exact, US PS Store doesn't have it on sale though.
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
oso

Post by oso »

NeoStrayCat wrote:
prophetic wrote:
Oso should have said its region specific, EU to be exact, US PS Store doesn't have it on sale though.
Ah, sorry I missed that! Yeah, I'm in EU so it seems this sale was EU specific. My bad.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

ACSeraph wrote:Been trying to play my PS4 version in 2P coop recently and for some reason the game refuses to recognize a second controller after booting up AC preventing me from starting a coop game. In the main menu I can configure controller 2 but AC seems to entirely forget it's there. Has anyone else encountered this? Is there a fix?
Try going into AC mode setting and selecting a controller for player 2's input method. In the PC version it defaults to keyboard for player 2 even if it detects a controller, even if you used a controller to set up custom controls. I'm guessing it does something similarly silly in the PS4 version.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I finally found a physical copy for a decent price and jumped in last night, but as my copy is in Japanese I'm a bit lost and have been searching for mode and gameplay info this morning. I'm combing through this 85+ page thread (....) but I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a beginner's guide to the basics? I've played plenty of Darius games in the past, but I'm a bit lost on the Burst function and mode variants atmo.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Ok one big question before I spend on a PSN points card... Can I use the DLC ships in ANY mode? How does that work? I will buy pretty much all of them if I can use them all over the whole game!!!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

No, you can't. Each DLC ship comes with its own dedicated handful of courses to play, with unique mechanics and custom music. Neat but not really worth it at full price, in my opinion.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Jonpachi wrote:I finally found a physical copy for a decent price and jumped in last night, but as my copy is in Japanese I'm a bit lost and have been searching for mode and gameplay info this morning. I'm combing through this 85+ page thread (....) but I'm wondering if anyone can point me to a beginner's guide to the basics? I've played plenty of Darius games in the past, but I'm a bit lost on the Burst function and mode variants atmo.
I don't have a guide but here's the basics.

The red orbs upgrade your main weapon. For most ships, the laser does more damage than the wave so you don't always want to upgrade all the way. The green orbs improve your bombs and missiles, you always want to pick those up. The blue orbs improve your force field. If you don't have a shield, a blue orb will add 3 hit points of shielding. If you do have a shield, a blue orb will add 1-3 hit points depending on how many blue orbs you've collected. Your shield changes colors as it reaches higher levels. The final tier of shielding takes damage from crashing into terrain, crashing with anything below that kills you instantly.

Most ships have a super meter that recharges from damaging and destroying enemies. They do a variety of things, like the ship from Darius Gaiden can drop a black hole bomb when fully charged. Three ships, Legend, Next, and Formula, are burst ships that work similarly to each other. Their burst fires a moderately powerful laser beam straight ahead that drains their burst meters very quickly. They also have the option to use a fixed burst where a turret is left somewhere on the screen which fires a miniature burst laser. The fixed burst is far more energy efficient than a regular burst and your ship can fire your main gun while using it. For survival you want to strongly favor the fixed burst over the regular burst. To aim the fixed burst, stop firing, and it will start to rotate based on your ship's position. Legend and Formula aim away from your ship, Next aims towards your ship. Start firing your main weapon again when it's aiming at what you want. Some enemy ships have their own burst lasers. If you activate your non-fixed burst just as you get hit by an enemy burst, you'll absorb their burst and fire a very powerful, very efficient, and very high-scoring counterburst. Generally I find the easiest way to counterburst is to perform a cut-in counterburst where you wait for the enemy to fire their burst, dodge it, and then vertically move into the beam, pressing your burst button just as you get hit. Genesis and Assault don't behave like conventional burst ships, but they can also perform counterbursts.

Cancelling is a big part of the game. The red shot main weapon can cancel enemy red shots. The yellow laser main weapon can cancel enemy yellow lasers. A burst and a fixed burst can cancel most things. You can gain energy from cancelling, and the fixed burst can be left up indefinitely when under heavy fire.

The scoring system is about building up your ship's multiplier and destroying enemies with high-scoring weapons. Every ship starts with a x1 multiplier, and it goes up from killing enemies. Killing multiple enemies all at once seems to raise it faster. Ships cap out at different points, if I remember right, Legend goes up to x6 and Origin goes up to x60. Different weapons also have different score multipliers. Generally the highest scoring weapon is a counterburst, followed by a burst or burst-equivalent. You main weapon, bombs, and fixed burst all have a lowly x1 multiplier. When you kill something your ship's multiplier is multiplied by your weapon multiplier, and that is multiplied by the enemy's score value. The last enemy in a formation tends to give an extra score bonus if you destroy all of them, and you ship and weapon multipliers are also applied to that bonus. Your ship's multiplier is lowered by taking damage. Basically you want to keep your ship's multiplier maxed out and kill as many high-value enemies as possible with your best weapon. You get a time bonus for killing bosses quickly, but it's generally worth delaying the kill a bit if it will allow you to finish them with a counterburst.

I find Next to be a very intuitive and effective ship for learning the game.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Thanks to both of you for the replies! I still think I'll have to buy a couple just to check it out. Playing as the Gambler from Pro Gear is too tempting!
boagman

Post by boagman »

Bringing this thing *back*!!! Kind of!!!!

So, I find that I end up playing this basically exclusively on airplanes when I travel. It's kind of my "reward" to myself that I get to do it while trying not to murder everyone else on the plane for being, well...on the plane with me.

Do most of you play it on the PS4, the Vita, or...what/where?
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

At this point, I feel like I end up playing the DLC levels more than anything else. I really with they'd update the game so that you could play CS mode with the DLC ships, it would add another 100 hours (and I've logged about 115 at this point) of gameplay for me, personally.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

boagman wrote:Do most of you play it on the PS4, the Vita, or...what/where?
I still play pretty often, though it's not really my main game these days. I usually practice Arcade mode on PS4 and plug away at CS mode on the train. Seems like no matter how many courses I finish there's always more to do.

That said I think I play this at the arcade more than the home versions; I will play it basically any time I go to an arcade that has it. I originally learned this game on the cab so much like Cosmic Collection on Switch the home ports are mostly practice for the real deal at the arcade. I can't stress enough how different the impact of the game is on a cab.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
boagman

Post by boagman »

ACSeraph wrote:
boagman wrote:Do most of you play it on the PS4, the Vita, or...what/where?
I still play pretty often, though it's not really my main game these days. I usually practice Arcade mode on PS4 and plug away at CS mode on the train. Seems like no matter how many courses I finish there's always more to do.

That said I think I play this at the arcade more than the home versions; I will play it basically any time I go to an arcade that has it. I originally learned this game on the cab so much like Cosmic Collection on Switch the home ports are mostly practice for the real deal at the arcade. I can't stress enough how different the impact of the game is on a cab.
And see, being in the States, there aren't too many of those cabinets in the wild (none in Michigan, that I know of...), so home console/portable console use is all I've ever known. It would be a lot more difficult for me, I think, to try to transition to the arcade cabinet after being "brought up on" the home stuff.

I do love it being portable, though. It's pretty freaking amazing on the Vita.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

I played two successful Kyokkuho runs yesterday. (PC) One with Legend and again with Delta Sword (who sucks against Violent Ruler). Easily shmup of the decade but as discussed in the other thread, its super-lame that it still costs over 50 dollars.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I'm thinking I'd like to get back into this for a bit and finish some of those AC mode routes that I never did back when the port originally came out.

I have it on both PS4 and PC. It looks better on PC, but it's a little bit of a hassle on a technical level (especially if you want to try to capture footage...) so PS4 ends up being where I play it, usually.
auryn

Post by auryn »

boagman wrote:Bringing this thing *back*!!! Kind of!!!!

So, I find that I end up playing this basically exclusively on airplanes when I travel. It's kind of my "reward" to myself that I get to do it while trying not to murder everyone else on the plane for being, well...on the plane with me.

Do most of you play it on the PS4, the Vita, or...what/where?
Same here, I usually only whip out my Vita when I'm travelling. Traveled through Mexico/Belize/Guatemala beginning of this year and would play CS mode missions anytime when I was on the bus/plane. It definitely helps on the plane, I'm 6'4 and I really need something to distract me from the cramped conditions. Bonus was meeting some of the bosses in real life when going snorkeling!
awbacon

Post by awbacon »

this reminds me I still need to play CS. I've embarrassingly had the LRG version on a shelf unopened. Massive shame pile
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Every now and then I come back to CS mode to whittle away the levels on my years-long journey to Gigantic Bite. My last milestone was making it to Azure Nightmare.

It just gets fatiguing to grind levels over and over again, usually to buy shields to cheese harder areas so I can get to the content I want. Maybe I should go after more Arcade EX clears... I still haven't found the squid boss yet!

To be honest, this would be the perfect game to sit back and relax on a TV, but no PS4... And I wouldn't be keen on doing all of these CS levels, dozens of them, again.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

Are you playing every single course? You only need to do the larger, intersection courses unless you're going for 100% completion.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, though you can't tell at a glance which intersections will open up new paths. If I fail enough times, I have to go do some random missions to get points to unlock different ships.

You just get a little tired of the fifteenth Mud Wheel fight of the day. Or going through 6 long stages only to die at the last. On your third attempt.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I think you would enjoy it a lot more if you played only with default ships Emperor; it eliminates the grind and basically turns it into hundreds of Arcade style Darius mini-clears. I can vouch for it's playability, as I've made it all the way to Gigantic Bite and never once have I used a custom ship. I have never been able to seal the Bite clear though, that dude is not fucking around. The Darius equivalent of Hibachi.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

I haven't cleared the last few stages in CS mode yet, but one of the minor/skippable stages in the tree has you fighting Gigantic Bite alone (I'll get the name of it soon). It's great for practicing - if you can clear the stage with the 15 shields provided you should be all set to repeat the feat in the final stage, where you can hold onto quite a lot more. :)
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

I've just about 100% cleared CS mode, just gotta do the stage where you use the Darius 2 ship against GTV and the super secret real final stage. Haven't played in a while though.
boagman

Post by boagman »

See, basically, CS is all I've played. I started out with the Japanese version of the game and played a goodly bit through the courses (not all the way, but a good bit of the way...), and then I got frustrated by having to continue to deal with the language barrier, so I bought a copy of the LRG version for the US, and I'm playing my way through that.

I still find the Burst Reversal to be a terribly frustrating thing to pull off, and the other type of "helper" use of the Burst is still quite difficult for me to aim...but that could be because I honestly need to do the tutorial. I've never properly done the game's tutorial, and it's probably hurting my chances. Still: I love this game, enough to buy three different versions of it (4 if you count the PSP version), but I still will never enjoy it more than on the Vita, I don't think.

Terribly good game, even with its repetition.
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

boagman wrote:I still find the Burst Reversal to be a terribly frustrating thing to pull off, and the other type of "helper" use of the Burst is still quite difficult for me to aim...but that could be because I honestly need to do the tutorial.
Ok so you know that metronome sound that plays before enemies fire their burst laser? You want to press the button right when a fourth beep would play.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Vanguard wrote:
boagman wrote:I still find the Burst Reversal to be a terribly frustrating thing to pull off, and the other type of "helper" use of the Burst is still quite difficult for me to aim...but that could be because I honestly need to do the tutorial.
Ok so you know that metronome sound that plays before enemies fire their burst laser? You want to press the button right when a fourth beep would play.
I always found that inconsistent when I learned to counter (in the PSP title) so I abandoned it for the side counter method. For the side counter you basically fire your burst while ramming into the enemy's beam. The timing is the exact moment you would take damage when you would here the 'ping' sound damaging your shield.

It's similar to timing special move cancels in 2D fighting games (the moment of impact) which is where my arcade origins lie, so that's probably why the method works for me. It's also good if your burst meter fills while the enemy is trying to beam you, because you can still initiate it halfway through the attack.

Try out both methods and then just stick with what works best for you. Also remember that burst counter is not at all required to find success with Legend/Next, you can instead just play it safe and save your beam for defense. All the beam attacks can be dodged without countering except for G.T.'s beam in the original Dariusburst on PSP. And even if you get consistent landing it you will find yourself ending it early in later courses so as not to waste your meter.

---

Now on the topic of the "drop laser" or whatever people call it, I really recommend first learning this with Next as the way it moves will feel natural pretty quickly. Drop the laser, move your ship away from the bit, stop firing, and with Next the laser will quickly swing to form a line connecting your ship and the bit. When you have a line you like start firing again. As a beginner, just focus on creating vertical and horizontal "walls" and don't worry too much about adjusting the beam for offensive purposes mid-fight. You can learn the early 1ccs with purely defensive walls and no burst counters.

One reason Next is so well suited to beginners is you can essentially stay behind you wall while making it. Legend has the opposite properties, the laser moves away from your ship, and it's also slower. This means creating a wall requires you to fly in front of it first, which is obviously risky. Legend is a more advanced ship intended to be played offensively with a whole lot of point blanking (same as the old days). tldr: Learn to walk before you try to run.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Around the time DBCS was released I made a video of a run through ORV with an input display in the corner so you can see when I actually press the burst button: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HuxNpzI0_6E

I find that more useful for explaining the timing than trying to describe it verbally (though I could have arranged that video better too). In that video there are examples of multiple styles of timing the counter, i.e. sitting in the path of the beam when it fires, or entering from the side after it starts firing.

And yes, I find Next easier to learn than Legend. More responsive, and a bit more intuitive, with the fixed burst motion than Legend. My video demonstrates Legend, though.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Vanguard

Post by Vanguard »

ACSeraph wrote:I always found that inconsistent when I learned to counter (in the PSP title) so I abandoned it for the side counter method. For the side counter you basically fire your burst while ramming into the enemy's beam. The timing is the exact moment you would take damage when you would here the 'ping' sound damaging your shield.
Since the beam doesn't cross the screen instantly, you want to delay pressing the button the slightest bit depending on how far away you are. But yeah, I favor cut-in counterbursts too.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

You guys are really making me want to pick up a Vita just for this. I so wish it was on the Switch... I love this game, but I just don't get enough time with it, and having it for commutes and lunch breaks would be a dream.