DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
boagman

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by boagman »

qmish wrote:Why do you say things like that in a thread where publisher himself posts :roll:
My thoughts exactly. You're on a forum that, ostensibly, is for the appreciation of a niche genre of game. On occasion, a true high-quality game/experience is made which sort of takes the fanbase by storm for its quality and your response, *on this forum*, is "How can I keep from compensating the people who've made this product, yet enjoy it surreptitiously?"

Spend some money on a quality product. Do your part in making sure that those who make games like this receive their due. Don't be a dick about it. Grow up.
NickPalmerDegica

Post by NickPalmerDegica »

I mean, all publishers know that their stuff gets pirated. No one likes it, but we accept it happens. But at the very least, don't tell us to our faces. :(
boagman

Post by boagman »

NickPalmerDegica wrote:I mean, all publishers know that their stuff gets pirated. No one likes it, but we accept it happens. But at the very least, don't tell us to our faces. :(
Dude, at least to some degree, it's your livelihood. You shouldn't have to expect something like that from real fans of the genre.

For myself, I've bought it twice: for the PS Vita, and for the PS4, physical copies, both. I wasn't going to pony up for digital copies, but for physical mediums? You betcha. You've made a *fine* product, and you should be proud of yourselves. As a result, you should be compensated for your efforts.

I apologize on behalf of any idiots who are unfairly taking advantage. I guess "shame" is never a good thing, anymore. It's too bad; it has a legitimate purpose.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

People take jokes too seriously these days...
Image Image Image Image
qmish

Post by qmish »

Well i thought you were "trolling" cause you are well known member in other retro communities, but still it sounded "ewww".

I'd better talk instead how i shown DBCS to my friends who are not shmuppers. They liked dynamics of motions but were a bit confused by Space Harrier ship moveset :mrgreen: but laughed at Double Craw epicness
boagman

Post by boagman »

Magma Dragoon wrote:People take jokes too seriously these days...
People do a piss-poor job of indicating that they're "joking" on the internet these days. People *also* tend to (poorly) hide behind the "I was only joking!" refrain when they've been appropriately called out on their garbage. Yeah: it's always the fault of "other people".

SJW, are you?
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

[notactuallyajoke][joke]You expecting people to annotate the intent behind their posts or something? Language doesn't work like that. Really, your frustration sounds a lot more stereotypical "SJW" than anything Magma Dragoon said.[/joke][/notactuallyajoke]
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
qmish

Post by qmish »

So, should i loose hopes for Kota Hoshino / Hideyuki Eto remixes for Dariusburst DLCs (if you remember that twitter poll)? I mean, Shohei Tsuchiya worked with those guys at some point before leaving FromSoftware for Zuntata :idea: and Hoshino once did cool remix for DDP DOJ
NickPalmerDegica

Jokes are hard. They take timing and knowing your audience and a whole lot of other little skills.

If you say a joke, and you are finding your audience completely missed that it was a joke, more than likely, you screwed up the joke, not that the audience is taking it too seriously.

Also, I'm not sure how "I wonder when I can pirate the rest of the content" qualifies as a joke anyway. It isn't clever satire, there was no one here talking about pirating to even satirize.

C'mon man, don't hide behind the idea that people take things too seriously... I don't know if it was actually intended as a joke or not, but if it was, it was a failed joke. Which is on you, not the audience.
Magma Dragoon

Post by Magma Dragoon »

NickPalmerDegica wrote:Jokes are hard. They take timing and knowing your audience and a whole lot of other little skills.

If you say a joke, and you are finding your audience completely missed that it was a joke, more than likely, you screwed up the joke, not that the audience is taking it too seriously.

C'mon man, don't hide behind the idea that people take things too seriously... I don't know if it was actually intended as a joke or not, but if it was, it was a failed joke. Which is on you, not the audience.
Can't deny that. I was satirizing the post above mine talking about adding more DLC. If you or anyone felt offended then I apologize.
Image Image Image Image
boagman

Post by boagman »

Magma Dragoon wrote:
NickPalmerDegica wrote:Jokes are hard. They take timing and knowing your audience and a whole lot of other little skills.

Can't deny that. I was satirizing the post above mine talking about adding more DLC. If you or anyone felt offended then I apologize.
I did, and if you're being sincere, I accept your apology.
NickPalmerDegica

Magma Dragoon wrote:

Not offended, just not a fan of the "people can't take a joke" excuse. And seriously mature response. I appreciate it.
qmish

Post by qmish »

i'm definetely in a wrong timing to ontopic lol
I'd better talk instead how i shown DBCS to my friends who are not shmuppers. They liked dynamics of motions but were a bit confused by Space Harrier ship moveset :mrgreen: but laughed at Double Claw epicness
So, should i loose hopes for Kota Hoshino / Hideyuki Eto remixes for Dariusburst DLCs (if you remember that twitter poll)? I mean, Shohei Tsuchiya worked with those guys at some point before leaving FromSoftware for Zuntata :idea: and Hoshino once did cool remix for DDP DOJ
boagman

Post by boagman »

Shepardus wrote:[notactuallyajoke][joke]You expecting people to annotate the intent behind their posts or something? Language doesn't work like that. Really, your frustration sounds a lot more stereotypical "SJW" than anything Magma Dragoon said.[/joke][/notactuallyajoke]
And I feel that this is out of line, or at least that you're not being fair/realistic. It's really, *really* easy to indicate that you're joking via the printed word, especially on this here internet thingie. See, there are these things called "emojis" that do a lot of that work for you (try the winking smile!). There's also (as you use) annotations. There's also "j/k". There are GIFs. There are about a dozen different ways to indicate that one's remarks aren't serious, or at least aren't meant to be taken at face value. To be sure, just because a person uses one of these things doesn't mean that the comment/joke/whatever-it-is isn't still in *extremely* poor taste, or ill-timed.

Magma Dragoon came back accepting responsibility for the issue and I applaud that. Your response truly rings quite hollow.
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Aaaaanyway.... bought this during the sale and initial thoughts are it's not bad, though a lot of the levels feel a little samey.

Perhaps the game needs to be experienced in the arcade to fully appreciate it though. Not a fan of the music at all.Seems like it tries to create an epic atmosphere, which kinda falls flat. But again, I guess it would make more sense in the arcade.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
boagman

Post by boagman »

Leviathan wrote:Aaaaanyway.... bought this during the sale and initial thoughts are it's not bad, though a lot of the levels feel a little samey.

Perhaps the game needs to be experienced in the arcade to fully appreciate it though. Not a fan of the music at all.Seems like it tries to create an epic atmosphere, which kinda falls flat. But again, I guess it would make more sense in the arcade.
I'll give you the "samey" point. There is a lot of overlap between levels/enemies in the game.

Wow, though...the music, to me, is terrific. I understand that it's a subjective thing, but I love the music for the most part.

I also love the discovery of trying to figure out the puzzle of how they want you to get through levels. Learning the ins and outs for me is a good deal of the fun, though yes: at times it can become frustrating.
John4300

Post by John4300 »

So, after some time with this game, I've completed all the routes on AC original without losing a life.

However... There is still a thing that escapes me. Counter bursting with Legend/Next/Assault.

I've tried to look videos people playing, asked about it before, but I just cannot get it down. I know technically what I'm supposed to do, but I fail miserably and miss most of the times.

Any tips? How did you practice to make those counter bursts happen reliably? Any good mission on CS with early enemy to counter?

Oh, and one thing I'm still not sure here... When you start your burst, it'll have that little wind up time. Are you supposed to hit the red laser when that is happening? Or hit the burst button the moment you hit it?

Someone should make a guide of this. :D
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

If you want to tackle a boss' beam head-on, you should start holding the Burst button at the third tone. Iron Fossil is probably the easiest to practice this technique on. For the "cut-in" method you want to be crossing through the laser during the delay period you mentioned. Many stages feature those tank enemies that fire Burst beams at you - they're great for practicing the cut-in method. You'll get the hang of it!
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

John4300 wrote:So, after some time with this game, I've completed all the routes on AC original without losing a life.

However... There is still a thing that escapes me. Counter bursting with Legend/Next/Assault.

I've tried to look videos people playing, asked about it before, but I just cannot get it down. I know technically what I'm supposed to do, but I fail miserably and miss most of the times.

Any tips? How did you practice to make those counter bursts happen reliably? Any good mission on CS with early enemy to counter?

Oh, and one thing I'm still not sure here... When you start your burst, it'll have that little wind up time. Are you supposed to hit the red laser when that is happening? Or hit the burst button the moment you hit it?

Someone should make a guide of this. :D
To put it simply: there is a delay between pressing the Burst button and a Burst being fired, if you get hit by an enemy Burst during that delay, you'll perform a Counterburst. See for yourself how tapping the Burst button doesn't bring up a Burst instantaneously.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

In my experience it works best to ignore the delay as purely audiovisual, and try to press the burst button right as you're about to collide with the laser. It's better to err a little on the early side since bursting is no good if the game's already registered a hit on you, which is where people get the impression that you need to account for the burst delay.

I recorded a video a while back that demonstrates counterbursts in a couple different situations with a button display so you can see when I'm pressing the burst button. Go to 2:35 for a "regular" counterburst and 5:30 for a "cut-in" counterburst.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
FER

Post by FER »

Unless countering a beam the moment it shoots has some hidden boost or advantage over countering an already "in-process" beam, I see no reason not to pick the later.

Countering a beam when it fires needs you to take some things into account: position and the boss beam's speed.

The timing for countering the beam when up close to the "source" of the beam wont be the same as coubtering from further away, lets say of about fraction of seconds maybe.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

You do get a little bit of extra time on the burst simply by virtue of starting earlier, but they're essentially the same thing, so do whatever you're more comfortable with.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
John4300

Post by John4300 »

Thanks for all the tips - I'll probably try to find a mission with early burst counter opportunity on CS mode to hone my skills!
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

Leviathan wrote:Aaaaanyway.... bought this during the sale and initial thoughts are it's not bad, though a lot of the levels feel a little samey.

Which mode, though? AC mode has entirely unique levels, as far as I know (haven't done anything in the EX levels, maybe those are repeats). CS does reuse levels though. CS is more like "let's put the player in this situation with these stages and see how they do".
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Despatche wrote:

Which mode, though? AC mode has entirely unique levels, as far as I know (haven't done anything in the EX levels, maybe those are repeats). CS does reuse levels though. CS is more like "let's put the player in this situation with these stages and see how they do".
Mostly CS. It's fine for a casual play, but I can't ever see myself playing it too seriously. It just feels too...um, bland? The backdrops, the music, the ships, the patterns...it just doesn't engage me.

But that's grand, I only paid 10 bucks and there are plenty of other shmups out there for me. I will give AC a proper play through at some stage, though.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Leviathan wrote:
Despatche wrote:

Mostly CS. It's fine for a casual play, but I can't ever see myself playing it too seriously. It just feels too...um, bland? The backdrops, the music, the ships, the patterns...it just doesn't engage me.

But that's grand, I only paid 10 bucks and there are plenty of other shmups out there for me. I will give AC a proper play through at some stage, though.
CS Mode is structured like a campaign with stages which do get harder over time. At first you'll have an easy time because the stages are being played on easy mode instead of hard mode later on, you're given way more shields, and you'll mostly be facing the easier bosses. But later on you'll see some of the harder stages, and you'll start to curse once you start to encounter Great Thing.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
FER

Post by FER »

A campaign challenge mode.

I guess its a fine mode for begginers considering how slows its starts, but the later stages (more or less the scond half) gets HARD AS HELL!.

Still, the best mode is hands down AC and it EX counterpart. I just wish they had an EX2 with all the bosses only seen in CS and chronicle mode...
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

AC and EX are the original arcade modes. CS is essentially a bunch of remixes of those stages adapted to a one-screen aspect ratio; aside from the new bosses and ships (Murakumo and DLC ships) and a couple throwbacks to past Darius games there's little in there that wasn't originally built for AC. So naturally you're going to see more care put into AC, and the pieces fit together better. I'm a fan of the ADH/ORV route (top routes in AC and EX respectively, ORV is essentially a harder version of ADH) because the music flows seamlessly through the entire route, from stages to bosses and even the inter-stage interludes and ending credits.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
CHI

Post by CHI »

Shepardus wrote:AC and EX are the original arcade modes. CS is essentially a bunch of remixes of those stages adapted to a one-screen aspect ratio; aside from the new bosses and ships (Murakumo and DLC ships) and a couple throwbacks to past Darius games there's little in there that wasn't originally built for AC. So naturally you're going to see more care put into AC, and the pieces fit together better. I'm a fan of the ADH/ORV route (top routes in AC and EX respectively, ORV is essentially a harder version of ADH) because the music flows seamlessly through the entire route, from stages to bosses and even the inter-stage interludes and ending credits.
+1

Some people here still thinks DBACEX and DBCS are the same game :roll:
schmumps: as my sister would say!
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Hey all, apologies if somewhere this got troubleshot earlier on, but I've got a prob getting DBCS running properly in Steam.

Since installing Parallels on my Mac and using that to play Windows only Steam titles, I can only get my installed DB to run in Windowed mode, which slows the game down considerably and is less than desirable.

When I start the game I get a 'Parameters incorrect' error, which after closing will bring up the Launcher window... in Japanese. If I click on the 'full screen' option on the launcher window, I instantly get another popup saying 'Parameters incorrect', and there are no resolution options in the dropdown. If I launch the game from here, I just get a windowed blank white screen.

Clicking on the 'Windowed' option, I get a bunch of resolution settings and can change between 16:9 and 32:9, and then launch - although none of the settings are really optimal for my screen (and as mentioned, it's slow in windowed mode.)

I wonder if this is to do with my Macbook's display resolution of 1920 x 1200? Or is there some file I need to open in a hex editor and start tinkering with or something?

Thanks all!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die