DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ATTRACTS

Re: DARIUS BURST CHRONICLE SAVIOURS (STEAM/PS4/Vita)

Post by ATTRACTS »

boagman wrote:
Elixir wrote:Found some images of the Vita version.

Image Image Image

I regret preordering the Vita limited edition. I'll probably just straight up sell it once it arrives.

images taken from here
You regret it because...why, exactly?
Probably because you need a microscope to see anything?
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Doesn't that aspect ratio only apply to AC mode? Can it be changed at all?
I'm fairly sure DB on the PSP made use of the entire display.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.
qmish

Post by qmish »

Should be, CS mode is standard 16:9.

Does Vita have video out, btw?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

No, but the game also works on the PlayStation TV if you're interested in playing it on a monitor.
bulbousbeard

Post by bulbousbeard »

Vally wrote:
rtw wrote:
Durandal wrote:Wait, is it even possible to play with 4 people at a time on one keyboard?
Requires a controller with no ghosting at least.
And a Non-USB keyboard.

Even if you use a mechanical keyboard with an infinite key rollover, the USB protocol limits 7 simultaneous key presses I believe.

Complaining that you can't play 4 players on 1 keyboard is absolutely ridiculous.
Uh, how is it ridiculous when it's the most COMMON arcade cabinet setup?

https://www.ultimarc.com/ipac1.html

What do you think drives the controls in most 4 player arcade cabinets? Keyboard encoders. I'm not talking about playing 4 players on someone's laptop keyboard.
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Since the game has finally come out...
Come to the leaderboards and start scoring!
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

I'm probably more likely to focus on AC mode over CS for scoring purposes, but sure! As soon as I'm not fucking terrible at this. :lol:
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Has anyone managed to Counterburst Lightning Prison?
It's almost near impossible to Counterburst if the enemy Burst Laser is moving around at high speeds.
Xyga wrote:
chum wrote:the thing is that we actually go way back and have known each other on multiple websites, first clashing in a Naruto forum.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Durandal wrote:Has anyone managed to Counterburst Lightning Prison?
It's almost near impossible to Counterburst if the enemy Burst Laser is moving around at high speeds.
If you move into a laser during the startup of your burst you trigger a 'cut-in' counter. Start holding burst and move into the laser at the same time. If the laser is moving towards you the time window is twice as large or bigger.
Last edited by Zaarock on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1up

Post by 1up »

Rupert H wrote: Also, is there some particular mode you need to be in for the 30,000,000 and 50,000,000 point achievements to pop? I've done these both in AC and neither of them have popped.
The achievement says any mode and I've scored 100+ mill. on AC and those 2 achievements haven't popped for me?
Also, on Steam the AC Event mode is locked
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

Keres wrote:I'm probably more likely to focus on AC mode over CS for scoring purposes, but sure! As soon as I'm not fucking terrible at this. :lol:
I'm terrible at this game, too, that's why my only noteworth record is at Isanta (Origin, Defender, three waves, Lightning Claw), haha. To be fair, I currently am at the top of the leaderboard there.

Am I the only one to think that not only is the Murakumo clearly a tribute to Gradius (V, as the "Multiples" have Formation, Rolling and Tail options), but also that it is terrible? It is so weak. Even Origin is better, as it doesn't pretend to have a Burst Cannon and has an attack power that's actually decent. The Options would be useful, too, if they didn't die every two seconds.
Rupert H wrote:Also, on Steam the AC Event mode is locked
Why, is it unlocked on PSV/4? If so, that sucks. If not, I think it's never going to be playable.
qmish

Post by qmish »

And i thought that they were referring to "Space Harrier X mecha by From Software with badass soundtrack"...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7EF3f69qNXg
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Also can I throw in a complaint about how bad the menus are in the Steam version
as in
why do i always have to use P1 controller or keyboard ):
The pause menu also works very bizarrely for me as well. The controller I use can't pause (?!) so I pause with Esc
And then I can't control the pause menu with my keyboard
Also I can only use P1 controller for CS mode which makes me sad because it won't seem to accept the controller I want to use as 1P.

I'd also like the option to remap start button
because said controller doesn't have start as start lol

OK maybe I just have a weird controller but

WHERE DO I SEND MY COMPLAINTS LOL
Casual shmup player
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

If you use the Murakumo like Assault it's pretty broken. Easily the most overpowered ship IMO (though I'm not experienced with Genesis). You're meant to use the explosion of the burst for bulk damage, not the laser itself. You can literally use burst only for whole stages because charging it to explode barely uses gauge. Rotating options can point blank stuff regardless of shot level & bursting seems to recharge the HP of options.
Rupert H wrote:Anybody having issues with high scores showing up under ranking? When I load up ACEX my score shows on the attract mode but it doesn't appear under the ranking front end. Also, is there some particular mode you need to be in for the 30,000,000 and 50,000,000 point achievements to pop? I've done these both in AC and neither of them have popped.
If you're talking about that ADH score yesterday they wiped the leaderboard again just before the Steam release.
Last edited by Zaarock on Fri Dec 04, 2015 4:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Zaarock wrote:If you use the Murakumo like Assault it's pretty broken. Easily the most overpowered ship IMO (though I'm not experienced with Genesis). You're meant to use the explosion of the burst for bulk damage, not the laser itself. You can literally use burst only for whole stages because charging it to explode barely uses gauge. If you swap to rotating options you can point blank stuff regardless of shot level & bursting seems to recharge the HP of options.
Yeah murakumo has like infinite burst guage lol and the explosion restores like all the gauge you lose
Its laser is pretty shit though

idk personally I don't really think Genesis is op since it's pretty fucked once the support units die since it's like the weakest ship
Casual shmup player
Durandal

Post by Durandal »

Genesis is good for activating a long Burst whenever the situation calls for it, and it's for people who have trouble Counterbursting, but the downsides are that destroying enemies while Bursting does not increase your Burst Gauge, it lacks a Fixed Burst, you have to wait for your Burst Gauge to be completely recharged if you want to Burst, and your damage output is temporarily weaker after Bursting once your options have been absorbed.

Anyone know how to influence the option formations? They just randomly seem to pick a formation after they respawn.
Xyga wrote:
Steelix100

Post by Steelix100 »

Durandal wrote:Genesis is good for activating a long Burst whenever the situation calls for it, and it's for people who have trouble Counterbursting, but the downsides are that destroying enemies while Bursting does not increase your Burst Gauge, it lacks a Fixed Burst, you have to wait for your Burst Gauge to be completely recharged if you want to Burst, and your damage output is temporarily weaker after Bursting once your options have been absorbed.

Anyone know how to influence the option formations? They just randomly seem to pick a formation after they respawn.
I'm pretty sure they stay as the last formation you left them at, and you can switch the formation while they're gone
If you're using the formation button to fire the alpha burst it seems it likes to switch once
Casual shmup player
disCorder

Post by disCorder »

Anyone here who own this has a 16:10 monitor? Just interested how well it works on it.
rtw

Post by rtw »

disCorder wrote:Anyone here who own this has a 16:10 monitor? Just interested how well it works on it.
I have one, 16:10 (1920x1200), arcade mode has bars on top and bottom but IMHO it works beautifully.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
OmKol

Post by OmKol »

Works in 1920x1080 on 2560x1080 monitor. So AC mode has borders everywhere =(
x91

Post by x91 »

Suffering from random game crash in AC mode, 5 times today, one occurred in Zone J with 9 ARMS remaining, really upset now.

A few other thoughts about how the game can be improved:

Yes, start/pause key remapping please;
Having a faster way to restart from the initial zone in AC mode would be better, skipping the long intro and ship/route selection.

Aside from these above the game looks fine to me.
The newer version of Chinese Leaderboard is here! Check it out :>
Danny

Post by Danny »

Man just got to try this game, it's fantastic, easily my favorite release of this year. For what it's worth I highly recommend it!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Okay, Magnet-pression time:

- While I'm honestly not a big fan of Darius as a series (Gaiden's crackhead rank is almost enough by itself to make me swear off the whole mess) and the price tag caught me off guard, I decided to go ahead and grab the Steam version because 1) Most everyone who's played the thing seems to like it, and 2) I've given other developers money twice (or more) for the same game to show a bit of support, so I figured I didn't have much of an excuse not to open the wallet for something I haven't tried before. Anyway, moving on...

- The game runs smoothly in fullscreen on my not-too-impressive laptop without the fan putting up a word of protest, which is a nice surprise, considering how often I have to turn a game's settings down on this thing: I doubt too many people will have to worry about their computer running it.

- I actually do have two monitors lying around and am tempted to try the double-screen experience, but for the moment I'm thinking it'd be too much of a hassle to make my laptop cooperate. AC mode isn't TOO bad in single-screen, though it does sometimes make it tough to avoid letting a power-up carrier or two sneak by when the screen's crowded.

- Haven't messed around with too many of the selectable ships yet, but the variety is appreciated regardless. I also have yet to successfully perform a counter-burst; I manage to stop the boss from frying me for a moment or two, but my meter then runs out and I get squished if I don't scurry out of the way. I guess my timing's off...I also need practice manipulating the fixed burst, though at least that one will just take a bit of time to click.

- Random-value point pickups (I assume they're random, anyway) are still stupid, though at least their value is pretty negligible here...which is also kinda stupid. :P

- Maybe it's just me, but this game seems very adept at sneaking enemy shots in at odd angles you can't easily counter or avoid; while there are fewer "I have no idea how I'm supposed to survive that" moments than in other Darius games I've played (so far), I've been tagged by a boatload of bullets that are juuuust outside the range of my shot and laser when I'm stuck in a tight spot (a la between a boss's lasers). Perhaps I'm just too used to the brief invincibility window that Border Down's laser gives you...either way, there's still no way the series is playable without the shield mechanic to soften the blow, which I will always consider a point against it.

- Powering up doesn't always feel particularly empowering, especially since the fire rate isn't all that fast (you feel it particularly acutely in AC mode, where shots take longer to leave the screen), and you can only really effectively point-blank with the low-level missile shots; still, I do appreciate not being powered down upon dying, and not having as steep a hill to climb to get to max power.

- One thing I do give this game credit for is putting on a good show with its boss fights - I hesitate to guess exactly what makes the difference from what most other shmups (even the other Darius games, to a degree) do, but I find myself really getting engaged against the buggers here, as it truly does feel like a huge struggle to the death. Kudos to them for managing to give robot fish so much personality.

In short, while there's undeniably a lot of stuff to experience here and I've admittedly only seen a little of it, I can't help but feel that after all these years Darius remains most notable for its sense of style more than its substance...I won't say I regret supporting the release, as I'd be more than glad to see the audacity behind it rewarded, but I also wouldn't call it a game-changer for those like myself who don't have particularly fond memories of its predecessors.

As always, if I'm misstating something, by all means set me straight.
ArmoredCore

Post by ArmoredCore »

21:9 monitors for ps4 version have black bars for arcade?
IDruggedShamu

Post by IDruggedShamu »

I'm not the most familiar with past Darius games, outside of burst on PSP, but the scoring system in this game feels bizarre. The online manual doesn't really explain it all. Just makes passing remarks about multipliers and Counter Burts. So if I understand it correctly, when you game over, you can insert another credit and keep your previous credit's score, but lose all multipliers and end of stage bonuses for that current stage? (Like ARM, Time, No Miss, etc.)
Last edited by IDruggedShamu on Sat Dec 05, 2015 2:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Durandal wrote:Anyone know how to influence the option formations? They just randomly seem to pick a formation after they respawn.
Tap the burst button to cycle through option formations.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Pic Request:
PC version outputting to two projectors.
1up

Post by 1up »

DJ Incompetent wrote:Pic Request:
PC version outputting to two projectors.
granted

disCorder

Post by disCorder »

rtw wrote:
disCorder wrote:Anyone here who own this has a 16:10 monitor? Just interested how well it works on it.
I have one, 16:10 (1920x1200), arcade mode has bars on top and bottom but IMHO it works beautifully.
Indeed it does. Two monitor setup worked without any kinks and looks beautiful. Couldn't imagine playing the ac mode with only one monitor tho, everything's just way too small that way.

Are the controls really that messed up or am I just missing something? When I enter the control setup at main menu I cant leave it at all.. apparently it wants me to press confirm for every player but I cant find the correct button for all of them. I have to alt+f4 out because the game wont let me exit the setup without all 4 players confirming their controls.

Seems to be a great game, tho!
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

Can it display the full game window letterboxed on a simple 16:9 1080p display ? (black bars on top and bottom only).

PS: talking about pc/steam port.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"