Battle Crust (Picorinne Soft + Hyakutaro Tsukumo)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
d0s

Re: Battle Crust (Picorinne Soft + Hyakutaro Tsukumo)

Post by d0s »

Zaarock wrote: couldnt get fullscreen working
Press enter, it switches between fullscreen and window.
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

d0s wrote:
Zaarock wrote: couldnt get fullscreen working
Press enter, it switches between fullscreen and window.
Zaarock wrote:it just scales a window with borders within the monitor space
and scales it into some really weird resolution
ryu

Post by ryu »

Fullscreen seems to work properly for me. Do you mean it's acting up if you set your windows output resolution to 31khz?

And how did you guys enable tate mode? There's no such setting in my config file :?
blog - scores - collection
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
d0s

Post by d0s »

Fullscreen works fine for me on a 4:3 CRT. For tate mode you need to get the beta, right click the game->properties->betas tab
ryu

Post by ryu »

Thanks. Didn't know about that functionality of steam.
Scanlines are only available in this tate build, too! A shame, because they're actually done well.
What I just saw was terrible. The scanlines had the wrong orientation and scaled completely with the game, so they always covered whiole lines of information instead of half of each line...
Don't worry about it. You can travel from the Milky Way to Andromeda and back 1500 times before the sun explodes.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Uh... Does this have Steam DRM?
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

Game looks way too easy. Does it get better in the harder settings?
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
STGAlmond

Post by STGAlmond »

Ruldra wrote:Game looks way too easy. Does it get better in the harder settings?
There is one replay on youtube of normal mode, and I can also say that normal mode is really easy. Both myself and that replay got 1cc on first try of normal mode. Hard mode is more difficult, but not by much. Not that many more bullets from what I remember. I think they may have just been faster, but I've only put the two credits into the game. I didnt' beat hard mode because I was kind of bored and sorta zoned out and died. Music isn't bad though.

The person who had the youtube replay also had an archived stream showing hard mode. They got a bit further than I if someone wants to see hard mode.

I think hard mode starts 30 minutes in.
http://www.twitch.tv/xaerock/v/50861352
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Full screen works fine for me. I'm liking the game, and since I haven't played any shmups properly for a long while I'm so incredibly rusty I've even died on the first stage several times. Three credits in, and the best I've done is reach stage three boss.

I was testing the Mega Charge out and found a small secret: If you destroy the first stage's miniboss (large ship, fires big laser and moves left or right following you) fast enough some kind of bonus icon appears which will give you a whole whooping 3000 points. Probably only doable with the Mega Charge. Most likely there are other hidden things like this as well.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

Ghegs wrote:I was testing the Mega Charge out and found a small secret: If you destroy the first stage's miniboss (large ship, fires big laser and moves left or right following you) fast enough some kind of bonus icon appears which will give you a whole whooping 3000 points. Probably only doable with the Mega Charge. Most likely there are other hidden things like this as well.
Yeah, the golden stag beetle, right? Pretty sure it's a speed kill thing. I've done it with the Blast Charge and Normal Charge, too.
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Ah, right you are. Just tried it out, quite easy to accomplish actually. Park yourself near the miniboss and a bit off-center, hit him once with a charge shot and finish with normal shots. He won't even have a chance to fire his second attack.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
Ruldra

Post by Ruldra »

STGAlmond wrote:I think hard mode starts 30 minutes in.
http://www.twitch.tv/xaerock/v/50861352
Just watched that. Yeah...not impressed.
[Youtube | 1cc list | Steam]
mastermx wrote:
xorthen wrote:You guys are some hardcore MOFOs and masochists.
This is the biggest compliment you can give to people on this forum.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

To be fair, you can't really tell how hard hard mode is from watching in an stg. Especially an old style one where the difficulty may be more in the realm of enemy management then sight reading.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

"Battle Crust" sounds like the hottest punk subgenre of 2016.

Can't wait to play this, even if it is considerably easier than its inspiration. Never thought we'd see anything redolent of Image Fight again...
MathU

Post by MathU »

MathU wrote:Uh... Does this have Steam DRM?
Anybody?
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

MathU wrote:
MathU wrote:Uh... Does this have Steam DRM?
Anybody?
lol
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
MathU

Post by MathU »

Is the joke that a game I was quite looking forward to ended up crippled with DRM and now I won't be playing it? I'm not laughing.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

If you really want that type of information about any particular game, offhand I'd suggest getting in touch with the developer or some other devoted source rather than asking around here every time something of interest comes out.
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

d0s wrote:Not working with my Hori 360 stick (VX SE Kai), pretty disappointing for a game I actually paid money for
Saw your review. You have waaaaay too many games in your library that you've never played. :( Also, buy Mushi already, you silly goon.
Spoiler
I'm also a goon :wink:
d0s

Post by d0s »

OmegaFlareX wrote:
d0s wrote:Not working with my Hori 360 stick (VX SE Kai), pretty disappointing for a game I actually paid money for
Saw your review. You have waaaaay too many games in your library that you've never played. :( Also, buy Mushi already, you silly goon.
Spoiler
I'm also a goon :wink:
I rarely play PC games, my PC is garbage (core 2 duo, intergrated intel gfx). I just buy stuff really cheap on steam sales and save it for a rainy day or something, because I am a moron. I'm mainly just a retro console player.

e: I don't really care for mushi enough to buy it (not a big cave guy). also sup goon
MathU

Post by MathU »

BulletMagnet wrote:If you really want information about any particular shmup, offhand I'd suggest asking somewhere other than here.
So this is what it's come to.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Nice edit
MathU

Post by MathU »

Thanks, think it's more to the point.
ryu

Post by ryu »

The way I take it, DRM has always been the whole point of steam.

But that aside, my impressions of the game have been good for the most part. So far, as I still haven't gotten past stage 3. It's not incredibly difficult, but I think saying it's easy is a bit of a stretch. Overally it feels like it could have been an early SNES shmup. The music is quite good too, it's just different from what Tsukumo composed for the Thunder Force series.

However I can see that people who haven't played classic console shmups won't like this very much. It's definitely a bit tame in terms of gameplay and action, but not on the level where it's a downright boring game.
Last edited by ryu on Sun Feb 28, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

ryu wrote:Overally it feels like it could have been an early SNES shmup.

However I can see that people who haven't played classic console shmups won't like this very much. It's definitely a bit tame in terms of gameplay and action, but not on the level where it's a downright boring game.
Definitely agree.

Looks like Picorinne updated the game just now with a controller fix, for those having issues!
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
d0s

Post by d0s »

Heavy Viper wrote:
ryu wrote:Overally it feels like it could have been an early SNES shmup.

Definitely agree.

Looks like Picorinne updated the game just now with a controller fix, for those having issues!
The fix didn't work, the problem's still there. Really wish the dude would go get a cheap Hori EX2 or something to properly test, he's just trying random things without having a Hori stick.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Best I've still done is getting to Stage 5. Really liked Stage 4, and 5 was pretty spiffy from what I saw of it. I do wish the first stages had more environmental hazards, though.

Also got the Golden Beetle out of the miniboss in Stage 2, so I'm guessing there's one to be found in each stage.

My videos
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

d0s wrote:The fix didn't work, the problem's still there. Really wish the dude would go get a cheap Hori EX2 or something to properly test, he's just trying random things without having a Hori stick.
Not sure if he did just that, but this just reared its head a few hours ago:
We had updated "Battle Crust" to V.1.02.
Input bug of particular controller(such as HORI Fighting Stick EX2 for XBOX360) was fixed.
Please confirm.

In "OPTION", you can find "1.02". If it is "1.01", please restart your Steam client.
d0s

Post by d0s »

Heavy Viper wrote:
d0s wrote:The fix didn't work, the problem's still there. Really wish the dude would go get a cheap Hori EX2 or something to properly test, he's just trying random things without having a Hori stick.
Not sure if he did just that, but this just reared its head a few hours ago:
We had updated "Battle Crust" to V.1.02.
Input bug of particular controller(such as HORI Fighting Stick EX2 for XBOX360) was fixed.
Please confirm.

In "OPTION", you can find "1.02". If it is "1.01", please restart your Steam client.
Yup it's working perfectly now, props to this dev.
Domino

Post by Domino »

I'm really digging the OST. So far I'm getting the PC Engine/X68000 vibe from playing this.