Gradius Gaiden: Jade Knight "The Kiken"

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Kiken

Gradius Gaiden: Jade Knight "The Kiken"

Post by Kiken »

Ok, given the fact that I know several of you have taken some interest in viewing this replay, I chose to post a bare-bones version right now.

The version featuring commentary will follow in about 2 weeks time (assuming that schedules don't get completely full). I figure this will actually give me a chance to make this replay a little more "interactive", so to speak. If any of you have questions or concerns about my technique, please post them here and I'll address them in the final commentary version.

So, without further delay:

Gradius Gaiden: Jade Knight "The Kiken" (286 MB)

BTW, if any of you who host shmup replays would care to mirror this video, I would greatly appreciate it.

Thank you.

As always, please enjoy this demonstration.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Awesome! D/ling right now!
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

Awesome, I love your videos, man.

do you still have your Sanvien video (either on your space or the ftp)? I'd love to check that one out again sometime. I had downloaded it to my laptop back before the harddrive crashed on it and haven't seen it since :(

When this download finishes i'll upload it to my space to help share the load and spread the direct link love
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Hm, my download got cut off at 90 megs...oh well, I'm more interested in the commentary anyway.

From what I saw it's pretty solid playing, though some of places where you deliberately lose the last bit of your shield to access a new one seemed a bit odd. Speaking of which, why'd you go for the shield first? I always take four options before the shield at the start of the game. Offense is the best defense and all that.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Ghegs wrote:Hm, my download got cut off at 90 megs
Even though I have broadband now, that still happens occasionally. So for any files 200 megs or larger, I use good ol' GetRight.

Kiken, your server rocks. 130k/s is close to double what I get from most other websites. I've never played this game before, so I'm looking forward to checking it out.
landshark

Post by landshark »

Ya know, until watching this video, I didn't know the barrier-buster boss of level 9's engine flares couldn't hurt you?

I always dodged them while dodging the rest of the crap.

Edit: also didn't know about the safe spot on the end boss. I always dodged inside the snakes.
Zach Keene

Post by Zach Keene »

landshark wrote:Ya know, until watching this video, I didn't know the barrier-buster boss of level 9's engine flares couldn't hurt you?

Which'll make you better prepared for loop 2+, where the jets do kill you.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Awesome stuff, Kiken. Like Omega, I've never played the game, so I was just impressed by the levels and boss designs themselves. Unfortunately, not having played any of it greatly dimishes the awe I should be feeling after watching your 1LC. I was awed by the game, not by your surely phenomenal performance. Sorry.
Balzac

Post by Balzac »

Got it at about 450k/sec, thanks! Can't wait to see the commentary version.
Good luck or cry.
roushimsx

Post by roushimsx »

landshark

Post by landshark »

Zach Keene wrote:
landshark wrote:Ya know, until watching this video, I didn't know the barrier-buster boss of level 9's engine flares couldn't hurt you?

Which'll make you better prepared for loop 2+, where the jets do kill you.
Ahahaha, evil evil Konami. I don't think I'll ever see it though. I'm very inconsistent with this game. And there is yet to be any game where I can handle the 2nd loop.

Nemesis - nope
Vulcan Venture - nope
Gradius Gaiden - nope
Gradius V - nope
Cave games - nope

2nd loops own me.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Ghegs:
Yes, I will certainly answer the whole "Why did I get Shiled first?" thing.
And can you name any of the areas where I purposely took the last hit on the shield that felt weird to you? Just use the video time-markers.

roushimsx:
Thank you kindly for the mirror. Yes, my Sanvein video is still on my website.
Sanvein All 61,920.4 Pts (322 MB)

alpha5099:
No problem. I knew that for some folks, this would be their first time seeing the game. That's why I left the full intro in the video. :)
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

OmegaFlareX wrote:Kiken, your server rocks. 130k/s is close to double what I get from most other websites.
That's Gushi's work... he rocks :D
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Kiken wrote: And can you name any of the areas where I purposely took the last hit on the shield that felt weird to you? Just use the video time-markers.
On the second watch-through (of a complete video this time) I realised that they weren't actually weird, it was just the difference in our playing style. I like to play it safe and wait until I have the next Shield at ready, while you would often take the last hit few power-ups short, knowing there's more power-up carrying enemies arriving in a little while (like at 15:25 and 22:47).

Still, 18:21 felt like you were just showing off. :wink: Nothing wrong with that, of course. If you got it then flaunt it, like my mother absolutely never said.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos