Raiden Fighters 1,2,Jet +Viper Phase 1 now playable in Mame!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
poieo

Post by poieo »

Are the options supposed to be unchangable on the 2k version, or is that just something in the drivers that hasn't been addressed?
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

poieo wrote:Are the options supposed to be unchangable on the 2k version, or is that just something in the drivers that hasn't been addressed?
It's all SPI games. The Flash RAM simply isn't working yet. You can change the options, but they'll reset as soon as you exit.

If it's the difficulty you're worried about, just read my post above about getting the real RF2 working.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

And I started a new high-score thread. Now we can play RF2 in its true intended difficulty.
The age of Alluro and JudgeSpear is over.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Frogacuda wrote:lol! Ok, good news everyone:

The OG version of RF2 is playable in the current MAME.

Just take the graphics ROMs from 2000 and add them to rf_us.zip and fire the game up. The graphics ROMs are the same and it works like a charm, original difficulty intact. Should have tried this sooner. The music is still screwed up (but differently from the 2000 version). I guess this will improve with further revisions of the driver. More important is the difficulty which is MUCH more enjoyable in the original.
Which ones are the graphics roms? Do I just then add them into the other files and make a new zip?

sidebar- man, this sucks. I wish I wasn't so poor all the time.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

cigsthecat wrote:
Frogacuda wrote:lol! Ok, good news everyone:

The OG version of RF2 is playable in the current MAME.

Just take the graphics ROMs from 2000 and add them to rf_us.zip and fire the game up. The graphics ROMs are the same and it works like a charm, original difficulty intact. Should have tried this sooner. The music is still screwed up (but differently from the 2000 version). I guess this will improve with further revisions of the driver. More important is the difficulty which is MUCH more enjoyable in the original.
Which ones are the graphics roms? Do I just then add them into the other files and make a new zip?

sidebar- man, this sucks. I wish I wasn't so poor all the time.
It's the files that start with "obj" and "bg" in the RF2K set. add these files to the existing RF2 set, and fire it up. MAME will give you a "ROM needs redump" error message when you start but will proceed to play fine.

I think the sound rom might be incorrect. It sounds like it's playing the wrong samples. It might just be an emulation issue though.
poieo

Post by poieo »

I think it's playing the right samples, or at least some of the right samples, but playing them way too fast.

With mine, i also had to rename fix0.54something and fix1.54something to fix0.bin and fix1.bin. fix2 had to be renamed to fixb.bin.
cigsthecat

Post by cigsthecat »

Thanks a bunch, I got it working. I'm not getting any sound except a few blips at the end of the stage. But whatever, at least it's hard now.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

poieo wrote:I think it's playing the right samples, or at least some of the right samples, but playing them way too fast.

With mine, i also had to rename fix0.54something and fix1.54something to fix0.bin and fix1.bin. fix2 had to be renamed to fixb.bin.
You shouldn't switching or renaming any of the program ROMs. Use the ones from the standard rf2_us set. They are already named correctly.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

I just can't wait to see if the RF series get home ports. I hope Seibu gives the XBOX some love in this regard, considering that Raiden Fighters Evolution was cancelled.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
poieo

Post by poieo »

Frogacuda wrote:You shouldn't switching or renaming any of the program ROMs. Use the ones from the standard rf2_us set. They are already named correctly.
Well, that's not entirely true, as i've just realized myself. There was yet another lovely ROM change/merger. Or maybe it has no bearing wahtsoever, but rf2_us apparently uses rf2_eur as a parent now, which is why it complained about fix1.bin and the like.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

http://mamelife.blogspot.com/

Looks like a couple more hours of picking at it, and SPI should be fully decrypted. RF, RFJ, and Viper Phase 1 are probably just a few days away. Then I suppose it's up to ville to tighten up the driver a bit, fix the sound, and add alpha blending.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

FYI:

Raiden FIghters and Viper PHase 1 are done. raiden fighters jet is almost done. go here:

far as i'm concerned this is the biggest shmupping accomplishment in years. can't wait for the high score thread explosion...
Thunder Force
Location: research and development facility for Vasteel Technology.

Post by Thunder Force »

Stormowl wrote:Raiden FIghters and Viper PHase 1 are done. raiden fighters jet is almost done.
Amazing. Nicola Salmoria should get Shmup Magazine's Man of the Year. 8)
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Stormowl wrote:Raiden FIghters and Viper PHase 1 are done. raiden fighters jet is almost done.
If by almost done you mean "Not really looked at or started" then yeah.

But given the rapid progress Nicola has made on the other encryption schemes, coupled with the fact that RFJet's is likely very similar to one of them, I doubt it will take long.

Now if only someone would finish the decryption of Raiden II/DX and get to work on the other protection schemes plaguing those games, we'd be able to say Seibu's legacy is safe. But then again, it's not like the PSX port of DX isn't adequate.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Anyone else think the Helldiver is grossly overpowered?
poieo

Post by poieo »

Compared to what? The Flying Ray?
rtw

Post by rtw »

Just Raiden Fighters Jet left :D

rtw
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Damocles wrote:Anyone else think the Helldiver is grossly overpowered?
The Judge Spear fully-powered up with two Slaves is almost unstoppable under the control of an expert player.

Many people abuse the Slave, because it excels in firepower and rapid fire speed. They use Slaves of faster fighters to inherit their speed.

Don't even get me started on the Ixion in Raiden Fighters Jet...
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

Alluro wrote:
The Judge Spear fully-powered up with two Slaves is almost unstoppable under the control of an expert player.

Many people abuse the Slave, because it excels in firepower and rapid fire speed. They use Slaves of faster fighters to inherit their speed.

Referring to a fully powered up Helldiver with those friggin laser boomerang thingies. I havn't had the chance to grade all the ships, but it seems as if the Helldiver can cut through most bosses like cake. Not a Slave player myself (me likes variety), so I can't comment on that.
EddyMRA

Post by EddyMRA »

Damocles wrote:
Alluro wrote:

Referring to a fully powered up Helldiver with those friggin laser boomerang thingies. I havn't had the chance to grade all the ships, but it seems as if the Helldiver can cut through most bosses like cake. Not a Slave player myself (me likes variety), so I can't comment on that.
Yeah, I agree. The Hell Diver with the boomerang lasers is a pretty damn strong fighter. I used it a lot before I migrated to the Raiden mk-II.
nZero

Post by nZero »

RFJet pwned.

Now that the graphics decryption is finished, I can't wait for the remaining graphic and sound issues with the driver to be ironed out. What a fantastic release that will make!
Dylan1CC

Post by Dylan1CC »

The fact both my PC at home and the machines here in the office probably couldn't handle these helps me fight the temptaion and wait to buy the boards. :P

I will hopefully be able to get RF II after my refund.
system11

Post by system11 »

My favourite ship in RF2 (my favourite of the 3 RFs) is the Eraser. Sure, it's slow, but the main lasers and charge laser have unrivalled power - cut through smaller bosses like a hot knife through butter.
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

nZero wrote:RFJet pwned.

Now that the graphics decryption is finished, I can't wait for the remaining graphic and sound issues with the driver to be ironed out. What a fantastic release that will make!
then it's official: Nicola Salmoria is shmupping's man of the decade.
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

nZero wrote:RFJet pwned.

Unfortunately Nicola won't be doing that himself. I suppose it's up to Ville, and who knows when he'll get around to it. He hasn't updated his blog in quite a while. Also I don't know if he'll work on the sound either since it's not really a problem with the SPI driver but with the core, which he didn't write.
rtw

Post by rtw »

MAME 0.93 Released :D

rtw
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

rtw wrote:MAME 0.93 Released :D

rtw
Not just yet. Haze says "soon enough", but he has little time to work on it right now.

The big hold up is that Aaron Giles just rewrote the entire sound system so there's alot to do for this update. It's also to be considered likely to have a few bugs or broken games.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Frogacuda wrote:
rtw wrote:MAME 0.93 Released :D

rtw
Not just yet. Haze says "soon enough", but he has little time to work on it right now.

The big hold up is that Aaron Giles just rewrote the entire sound system so there's alot to do for this update. It's also to be considered likely to have a few bugs or broken games.
Nope, goto http://www.mame.net it was released an hour ago :D

rtw
Ord

Post by Ord »

I'll wait till the win32 version comes out.
Ikaruga review now up in PLASMA BLOSSOM
Frogacuda

Post by Frogacuda »

Ord wrote:I'll wait till the win32 version comes out.
The Win32 version is out, but not the GUI version, just the command line. One of the Gui ones should be up by tonight though.