MAMORUKUN CURSE!?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Elaphe

MAMORUKUN CURSE!?

Post by Elaphe »

I've seen some videos of this game and it looks interesting. I have not found it in the PS Store (UK).

Do I have to create a Japanese account to download it?
Is it worth the price?
Is the aiming mechanics the same as in Under Defeat?
Does it allow tate mode?
Lord Satori

Re: MAMORUKUN CURSE!?

Post by Lord Satori »

I know it was released in the US, I can't say for sure about elsewhere...
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Elaphe wrote:Is the aiming mechanics the same as in Under Defeat?
No.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Kollision wrote:
No.
Actually, the dual-analog aiming is the same as in Under Defeat HD.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Pretas wrote:
Kollision wrote:
No.
Actually, the dual-analog aiming is the same as in Under Defeat HD.
Yep
I was referring to vanilla Under Defeat
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Dual analogs!!?? I play Under Defeat HD with my arcade control panel with digital controls only. Actually, I've never ever used the right analog of my pads in any game. I hate using analogs in 2D games that could work with digital controls and I particularly hate dual analog games, which are many, now that there's a tendency to use the right analog for aiming, instead of using traditional methods (see Shock Troopers or Zero Gunner 2, for instance). Well, if Mamorukun Curse can only be played with analogs, then I've lost all my interest in this game.
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Mamoru-kun is playable with digital controls; this was an arcade release originally. The dual analog mode was added in for the home release (wide mode).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

Don't let "dual-analog" scare you, it's purely optional.

Your spread-of-fire pivots not unlike Under Defeat, but with manual scrolling; It's a lot like Pocky and Rocky, actually.
There's also a "curse" mechanic that let's you either temporarily cripple enemies, or give yourself a brief boost of firepower.

It's on the US and Japanese Stores, not sure what other regions offer it, though. Definitely worth picking up if you can, especially since it has a glut of content outside of arcade mode, like missions that re-use stages with different objectives and the like.

Your money goes pretty far with this one.
Vetus

Post by Vetus »

Not a bad game but not something really worthing either, expecially for a game made by G.rev that have made gems like Senko no Ronde and Under Defeat. If you want a game a la Pocky and Rocky (it's from my favourite games), you will probably appreciate it.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Vetus wrote:Not a bad game but not something really worthing either, expecially for a game made by G.rev that have made gems like Senko no Ronde and Under Defeat.
It was actually made by Gulti with support from G.Rev. Gulti also handled the porting work for Raiden Fighters Aces.
Neorebel

Post by Neorebel »

I would say it's definitely worth a download- one of the few shmups availible on the PSN in the US and it's got its charm
Strikers1945guy

Post by Strikers1945guy »

I actually was considering buying a Naomi set up just to play this game. Looked really fun and has lots of nice color and character to it. Not a typical shmup obviously but looks fun. I own the 360 version and its super fun.
Mister Midnight wrote:btw, cant trust them Koreans; remember Pearl Harbor
Elaphe

Post by Elaphe »

Today I've created an american account, a new user and I've changed my data to a false american address in Amazon so as to buy a PSN card and finally be able to purchase this game. Well, it's been worth. I love it. It's such a happy game and so enjoyable! I've been playing the arcade mode, in tate mode, using a 4:3 CRT and my homemade arcade control panel. It's true that it reminds Pocky and Rocky, which is one of my fav SNES games. I rather like the directional shooting style more than the one in Under Defeat. The graphic are a bit simple (ala Dreamcast) but they're beautiful, tender and full of color. The presentation is superb, with great illutrations. I also like the music very much, nice melodies, as well as the fact that the characters can change their costumes. It's great that the game runs so smooth and that it supports tate and 4:3. The gameplay is very nice although I find it a little easy. Definitelly, a very cute and funny game.
aoiddr

Post by aoiddr »

Elaphe wrote:The graphic are a bit simple (ala Dreamcast) but they're beautiful, tender and full of color.
You're right on the money as it was made for the Naomi (Sega's arcade equivalent of the Dreamcast hardware).

Love this game also, though, because of the Kiki Kai Kai/Pocky & Rocky mechanics and yokai enemies.
digitron

Post by digitron »

Does this work in mame? Getting driver error...maybe Xenia?
pja

Post by pja »

digitron wrote:Does this work in mame? Getting driver error...maybe Xenia?
If this is indeed a Naomi game I think you'll have the best chances of success with a Dreamcast emulator with Naomi support (like Demul or Flycast). But I didn't try it.
harborline765

Post by harborline765 »

The lighting and shaderwork is significantly upgraded over the NAOMI originals, mind, including in arcade mode. Same models and textures though.
sunnshine

Post by sunnshine »

digitron wrote:Does this work in mame? Getting driver error...maybe Xenia?
The NAOMI version runs in Flycast/NullDC/Demul and I think the 360 version runs ok in Xenia.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I hear the 360 version is much improved over the original arcade game. I would really like to try this out; it's a shame it never got a pc or digital (or HD) release, like so many other GRev games languishing away.
digitron

Post by digitron »

EmperorIng wrote:I hear the 360 version is much improved over the original arcade game. I would really like to try this out; it's a shame it never got a pc or digital (or HD) release, like so many other GRev games languishing away.
Seems to play well in Xenia..
Austin

Post by Austin »

The PS3 version of this is still available. It's cheap and worth the price, IMO. Fun, quirky game.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

it's a shame it never got a pc or digital (or HD) release, like so many other GRev games languishing away.

Well, when you do a really good job creating a HD port of (arguably) your best title, and no one fucking buys it, committing time, money, and energy to do the same thing for (arguably) lesser titles becomes a real hard sell...
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I really need to get xenia up and running, there are just too many games that I need to give a solid go at.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:it's a shame it never got a pc or digital (or HD) release, like so many other GRev games languishing away.

Well, when you do a really good job creating a HD port of (arguably) your best title, and no one fucking buys it, committing time, money, and energy to do the same thing for (arguably) lesser titles becomes a real hard sell...
I recall Iconoclast mentioning that in an interview, Maruyama said that the sales of Strania were about the same number as their other releases, except instead of selling it as a $50.00 physical + collector set, they sold it on the XBLA market as a $8.00 game with another $8.00 dlc no one bought.

Oof shmup bros, talk about a financial blunder.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Well, after Under Defeat HD was out for a month or so, I took a look on XBLA to see how it was selling, and at that point I believe it was around 640...

Six hundred and forty copies.

For comparison, I took a look a some piece of shit sudoku title I picked at random, and it had about 1800. About three times the amount of Under Defeat HD.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

EmperorIng wrote:I really need to get xenia up and running, there are just too many games that I need to give a solid go at.
m.sniffles.esq wrote:it's a shame it never got a pc or digital (or HD) release, like so many other GRev games languishing away.

I recall Iconoclast mentioning that in an interview, Maruyama said that the sales of Strania were about the same number as their other releases, except instead of selling it as a $50.00 physical + collector set, they sold it on the XBLA market as a $8.00 game with another $8.00 dlc no one bought.

Correction on Strania price, $10 base game with $5 DLC. And yes, I did buy it, that, and the PC version too. (And even the PS3 ver. of Mamoru-Kun Curse, with what little time I had on it. >.>)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
Astro City II

Post by Astro City II »

EmperorIng wrote:I really need to get xenia up and running, there are just too many games that I need to give a solid go at.

m.sniffles.esq wrote:Well, after Under Defeat HD was out for a month or so, I took a look on XBLA to see how it was selling, and at that point I believe it was around 640...

Six hundred and forty copies.

For comparison, I took a look a some piece of shit sudoku title I picked at random, and it had about 1800. About three times the amount of Under Defeat HD.
The fault here is purely with the 'gamers' who only limit themselves to Playstation and Nintendo products. It's exactly the same issue now some twenty plus years later.

Strania is still playable and purchasable on the newest Xbox consoles because that company actually gives a damn about you making an investment in their ecosystem.