shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Fri Apr 03, 2020 7:35 pm View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post subject: Re: Fixed shooters appreciation thread
PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2020 9:54 pm 

The other day I decided to check out the Game Boy port of Space Invaders, whose reputation precedes it.

It's a somewhat commonly known fact that this version actually contains the Japanese Super Famicom release in its entirety and will allow you to play it when using a Super Game Boy. Lesser known seems to be the fact that the Super Game Boy mode has a hidden border modeled after the cocktail table release, which I thought was a nice treat.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 4:56 am 

WelshMegalodon wrote:
The other day I decided to check out the Game Boy port of Space Invaders, whose reputation precedes it.

It's a somewhat commonly known fact that this version actually contains the Japanese Super Famicom release in its entirety and will allow you to play it when using a Super Game Boy.

Not quite in its entirety since it's missing the 2p mode from the cart release (which came to the US and is AFAIK near identical to the JP version aside from text language). I heard the 2p mode isn't much of a loss, though.

Edit: tcrf page suggests the vs. mode was blocked out of the sgb SNES version rather than removed.

Also the JP GB Space Invaders is a different port and has no SGB support at all. SGB version only came to the US/EU/AU and has the text in english.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2020 7:18 am 

After some searching, I see that you're right - websites point to an earlier, barebones Game Boy port released in 1990, four years before the US and Europe received their version. The newer release appears to be based on Space Invaders DX, which was released that same year, while multiple sources claim the older one is actually a port of Space Invaders Part II.

Interestingly enough, the older Game Boy release claims to feature a 2-player mode that uses the link cable.
A little math shows that if you overclock a Pi3 to about 3.4 GHz you'll start to be competitive with PCs from 2002. And you'll also set your house on fire

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Mar 24, 2020 12:11 am 

I started to get really into Moon Cresta on the mister. Pretty amazing game especially considering when it came out.

Offline Profile