No bullet hell shmups?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
shmupmaniac
Banned User

No bullet hell shmups?

Post by shmupmaniac »

I'm shmup noob looking for good gear maybe one that is already made with good joystick and lotsa buttons. In the same time I'm interested to know which shmups should I play first. I'm quite certain I don't want to play bullet hells. Can you please tell me where can I find a list of such shmups? Are there any good 3d shmups?
trap15

Re: No bullet hell shmups?

Post by trap15 »

@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

Thanks!
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

Why don't you like bullet hells? Is it overwhelming?

Anyways, that's not the point, here are none bullet hells to get you started.

Steel empire
Thunder force 3-6
Fire shark
Truxton
Raiden series
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

Hi! I dislike them because they're overwhenlming like you said and also too confusing. Mate, can you please list all the 3d shmups as well, I'd appreciate it very much?
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

shmupmaniac wrote:Hi! I dislike them because they're overwhenlming like you said and also too confusing. Mate, can you please list all the 3d shmups as well, I'd appreciate it very much?
Well Raiden 3 and 4 are both 3d.

Gradius 5 (I wouldn't start out with that one) is 3d.

Sorry man, None bullet hells aren't exactly my strong point.

Just out of curiosity, why does it have to be 3d?
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

Because 3D are looking cool and interesting visually. That's my opinion. I'm not an expert on the subject since the only shmup I played so far is this one http://www.codergames.com/games/gamedet ... -attack-2/

I was looking for more such games using search engine and that's how I find your forum. Are there any cool looking 3d games such as that one?
DoomsDave

Post by DoomsDave »

If you have an Xbox 360 then check out Eschatos or Ginga Force. They are 3D and very fun. Both are region free so they'll play on any console.
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

I only have computer. I'm not just shmup noob I'm also games noob in general, I don't own any consoles.
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Ikaruga is 3D, I wouldn't really call it bullet hell, because of its polarity system. It's available on pc too.
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

I watched videos of games you mentioned on YouTube and they're ok, but still too many bullets. I guess I should purchase the gear first then train. I assume it's much simpler and better to play with proper joystick than using keyboard.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

How about G-Darius? It's 3D, for PC and with focus on atmosphere instead of difficulty.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Cagar wrote:How about G-Darius? It's 3D, for PC and with focus on atmosphere instead of difficulty.
G-Darius is excellent, but wouldn't it be hard to track down the PC port and get it working properly on new computers?
Heavy Viper

Post by Heavy Viper »

If it has to be 3D, then Einhander is the most obvious answer. That's another one with a lot of emphasis on atmosphere.
VPR@Twitter ~~~ VPR@Soundcloud ~~~ VPR@Bandcamp
Sound Design/Music Composition/General Audio Hand: Zenodyne R, Fire Arrow X, Jet Buster, Zenodeath and...
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

I wouldn't write off bullet hell games entirely. They look scary to a beginner, but they're quite approachable when you learn where to keep your eyes, what bullets are there just for visual flair, etc. I'd strongly suggest taking a look at Blue Wish Resurrection / BWR Plus, which has very easy mechanics to learn and has extremely slow bullets on its easiest difficulty (while still being fun to play).

For non-bullet hell games, grab a GameGear emulator and pick up GG Aleste 1 & 2 (Power Strike II). Fantastic games both of them and they're probably more along what you're after since they were made for a handheld console and thus naturally have few bullets onscreen at a time compared to modern games (the hardest difficulties are still very fun and intense).
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

Cagar wrote:How about G-Darius? It's 3D, for PC and with focus on atmosphere instead of difficulty.
That could be something I could play though it's a side scroller from what I've seen, but all the games you recommended to me so far have plain graphics. They don't fall into Invader Attack 2 graphics category. There surely must be shmups that are of same graphic style?
nasty_wolverine

Post by nasty_wolverine »

let see:
- R-Type Delta (PS1)
- Einhander (PS1)
- G-Darius (PS1)
- Eschatos (Xbox360)
- Ginga Force (Xbox360)
- Gradius V (PS2)
- Raiden III (PS2)
- Raiden IV (Xbox360)
- Trizeal (PS2)
- Psyvariar (PS2)
- Psyvariar 2 (PS2)
- Chaos Feild (DC)
- Ether Vapor (PC)
- Alltynex 2nd (PC)

anything not Xbox360 can be emulated and some available for other platforms/PC. I suggest starting out with Rtype Delta and Einhander.

Also, the whole thing about 3D being visually interesting, 2D sucking balls... is false. Just look at DDP:SDOJ, Akai Katana Shin (slash mode) and Crimzon Clover. And there are many more.

edit: regarding invader attacks 2, may be try the original? like Space Invaders Extreme? its on the psp which can be emulated.
Elysian Door - Naraka (my WIP PC STG) in development hell for the moment
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

The 3D style just doesn't work that well when the gameplay is 2D, which is why 3D shmups are mostly disliked.
nasty_wolverine wrote: - Alltynex 2nd (PC)
Try this out
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

shmupmaniac wrote:That could be something I could play though it's a side scroller from what I've seen, but all the games you recommended to me so far have plain graphics. They don't fall into Invader Attack 2 graphics category. There surely must be shmups that are of same graphic style?
You mean this Invader Attack 2? lol, that thread

There's a few reasons shmups aren't generally made in 3D (there's a lot that are for arcade and console though): they're hard to make look as good. It's difficult to judge the exact position of your hitbox with a 3D perspective when you're at the edges of the screen compared to a 2D game's flat images. They're also usually more memory intensive, though a lot of games use prerendered 3D graphics to make the sprites (DDP DaiOuJou, Espgaluda, etc).

I just remembered a couple PC doujins that are actually 3D: xSynergy Gate and Die Slave. They're both interesting, but a bit rough around the edges.

Cosmic Predator was also fun if you're looking for are slower paced shmup.
Last edited by BareKnuckleRoo on Sun Sep 28, 2014 3:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Got XBLA?
Try Omega Five, it's incredible.
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

nasty_wolverine wrote:let see:
- R-Type Delta (PS1)
- Einhander (PS1)
- G-Darius (PS1)
- Eschatos (Xbox360)
- Ginga Force (Xbox360)
- Gradius V (PS2)
- Raiden III (PS2)
- Raiden IV (Xbox360)
- Trizeal (PS2)
- Psyvariar (PS2)
- Psyvariar 2 (PS2)
- Chaos Feild (DC)
- Ether Vapor (PC)
- Alltynex 2nd (PC)

anything not Xbox360 can be emulated and some available for other platforms/PC. I suggest starting out with Rtype Delta and Einhander.

Also, the whole thing about 3D being visually interesting, 2D sucking balls... is false. Just look at DDP:SDOJ, Akai Katana Shin (slash mode) and Crimzon Clover. And there are many more.

edit: regarding invader attacks 2, may be try the original? like Space Invaders Extreme? its on the psp which can be emulated.
I looked and all those games on YouTube and even Space Invaders Extreme, if this is what you meant: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rQXBkKMdFc

I'm not sure what the problem is, it's probably my inability to communicate well what I'm looking for. Let me have another try. That Space Invaders Extreme has even plainer graphics than the rest of your recommendations. I already have PC, the hardware necessary, because Invader Attack 2 works perfectly, looks amazing. There must be other PC computer games like that one looking the same, same graphic style, without any special requirements for emulation or setting up special stuff to make games work. Do you know of any such games?
mehguy

Post by mehguy »

You should atleast try bullet hells. They're not that bad. The hit box on your ship isn't the whole ship, it's only a small box in the middle of the ship. Please to try them before writing them off. The most approachable bullet hell id say is dodonpachi.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Invader Attack 2 looks actually quite boring, both from a gameplay and visual standpoint. It's dark, it's slow, it's utterly lacking in style, and it was made by a special snowflake who got himself banned from here. The problem here isn't with the games you've been recommended...
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

If you want something really flashy and 3D try astebreed. If you want less bullets try some of the suggestions we've given on easy mode. Maybe even give sine mora a go. You never know what you might like until you try it. Don't forget this Genre is generally played for the challenge.
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Invader Attack 2 looks actually quite boring, both from a gameplay and visual standpoint. It's dark, it's slow, it's utterly lacking in style, and it was made by a special snowflake who got himself banned from here. The problem here isn't with the games you've been recommended...
Works great on my computer, nothing is slow. I'm noob so I wasn't able to pass level 3 and it took me many days to pass second level. Once I figured out the blue invaders have shield that can't be penetrated and that I needed to wait for their shields to go down. I can't pass third level because of homing missiles. I need proper gear to play shmups, it's hard to play on keyboard. I love the game, it's perfect for me. I love the style, I assumed those kind of games are on PC, I didn't know it was so hard to find something similar. Invader Attack 2 is the reason why I'm looking for proper joystick for shmups and why I even bother typing here so much.
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Are you a just a CoderGamesIsBack sockpuppet account? :?
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Are you a just a CoderGamesIsBack sockpuppet account? :?
Shh.... Let's keep pretending that we don't know :lol:
shmupmaniac
Banned User

Post by shmupmaniac »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Are you a just a CoderGamesIsBack sockpuppet account? :?
??
rancor

Post by rancor »

I sense a big reveal coming up - A new game from a new company that OP found, and has no connection to other than to sing it's praises. :roll:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

invader attack 3 hype