I got the most awesome Saidaioujou PCB !

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
-S.L-

I got the most awesome Saidaioujou PCB !

Post by -S.L- »

For the little story, I bought my PCB back in December 2012, directly from Cave in Tokyo, it was their very last PCB in stock.

After a few games, I first thought some stuff were buggy while I play, because a few times I skipped the entire stage to the next one, without knowing why. :shock:
Then, I found out by doing some buttons combination with the start button, I could do some really crazy shit like stage skip, suicide, restart current stage or restart to stage 1, all this, in game. Good for training :wink:

That was the time I didn't connect yet the 4th button... :lol: And here it comes even more funny :mrgreen:

In game, just by pressing the thumb button, i can load many hyper I want, anytime I want. Even better, by pressing that button + start, I can load 10 hyper in one time :lol:

But today I made another crazy discovery:

Check this out !

This is NOT in the test mode, I guess nobody in the world exepted Cave, and now me can access to this:

I let you guess what options do what :mrgreen: Some stuff i have no idea what they can do as I just discover this 15 minutes ago !

So basically, I have the most unique PCB made for the programmers, before they locked it for a regular PCB :D

EDIT:

I can play the game just like normal of course, no problem, if I don't hit any buttons + start togheter in game, or (oops !) the thumbs button that gives you Hypers :mrgreen:

Now I have even more crazy guys, get ready for some REALLY mad stuff :

I can see hitbox of enemies, mid boss, bosses (hello Hibachi), but also bullets hitbox :shock:
I can also see what are the vulnerable area of ANY enemies including bosses, where you can safely go on without crashing etc...

I painted the hitbox of Stage 1 boss, so you can see what I mean.

Any Dodonpachi players should know about that, but now it's confirmed, this is the exact area of your aura around your ship in LASER. Anything within this area with be touched by the aura.

And hitbox of normal shot in Yellow

I can see the exact size of all hitbox of the bullets on screen (it can be VERY messy on screen when really busy)

Here every center of cross is the hitbox of one bullet.

More random stuff, you can also see the hitbox of the items, you can play with bullets and stars items flashing black/pink, you can play WITHOUT ANY BULLETS :lol: (yeah... I just no miss expert mode killing INBACHI, I'm so cool) :mrgreen:

Sorry for the blurry pictures.... :oops:

EDIT:

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

! HIT BOX SPECIAL !

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok here we go

First of all, I got news about your hit box.

In shot/Laser mode:

- moving up / down or standing by, your hit box is 6x6 pixels
- moving right / left (and therefor diagonals too), your hit box is 4x4 pixels

In Expert mode:

- moving up / down or standing by, your hit box is 4x4 pixels
- moving right / left (and therefor diagonals too), your hit box is 2x2 pixels

BOSSES

The green areas are obviously the hitbox, you dont want to run into it.

BOSS 1

Some parts are moving, you got the idea:

BOSS 2

MID BOSS 3

Why ? Because even thou it's a grounded ennemies, so logically no crash is possible, well, yes there is a gigantic hitbox in the middle where you can crash, happen to me too many times, now I know why.

BOSS 3

BOSS 4

MID BOSSES 5 - 1 & 2

BOSS 5

It seems that the ? area is safe.

INBACHI

I'm guessing Hibachi is the same.

:shock: shit this was heavy to do
Last edited by -S.L- on Sun Aug 10, 2014 9:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
hnns

Re: I got the most awesome Saidaioujou PCB !

Post by hnns »

nice discovery! congrats!
SuperPang

Post by SuperPang »

Fantastic. It does seem like someone at Cave raided the stock cupboard and accidentally sent you a test PCB. Can you play it like normal or does weird shit always happen?
BareKnuckleRoo

Post by BareKnuckleRoo »

Make sure that sucker gets dumped for the sake of posterity. I don't think any of Cave's debug enabled boards have yet made it to MAME?
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

I can play the game just like normal of course, no problem, if I don't hit any buttons + start togheter in game, or (oops !) the thumbs button that gives you Hypers :mrgreen:

Now I have even more crazy guys, get ready for some REALLY mad stuff :

I can see hitbox of enemies, mid boss, bosses (hello Hibachi), but also bullets hitbox :shock:
I can also see what are the vulnerable area of ANY enemies including bosses, where you can safely go on without crashing etc...

I painted the hitbox of Stage 1 boss, so you can see what I mean.

Any Dodonpachi players should know about that, but now it's confirmed, this is the exact area of your aura around your ship in LASER. Anything within this area with be touched by the aura.

And hitbox of normal shot in Yellow

I can see the exact size of all hitbox of the bullets on screen (it can be VERY messy on screen when really busy)

Here every center of cross is the hitbox of one bullet.

More random stuff, you can also see the hitbox of the items, you can play with bullets and stars items flashing black/pink, you can play WITHOUT ANY BULLETS :lol: (yeah... I just no miss expert mode killing INBACHI, I'm so cool) :mrgreen:

Sorry for the blurry pictures.... :oops:
chempop

Post by chempop »

That’s awesome! Reminds me of the special options in the saturn port of Radiant Silvergun.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

BareKnuckleRoo wrote:Make sure that sucker gets dumped for the sake of posterity. I don't think any of Cave's debug enabled boards have yet made it to MAME?
This
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Why does this seem familiar? Wasn't there a similar board of another cave game that had some unexpected options posted a while back?

This very cool as well.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
PAPER/ARTILLERY

Post by PAPER/ARTILLERY »

I seem to remember somebody had a board which would skip to the next stage with the right input. There's a YouTube video if memory serves, could be a similar board.
Freedom Is Not Defined By Safety

emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Wow! That's very cool!
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

PAPER/ARTILLERY wrote:I seem to remember somebody had a board which would skip to the next stage with the right input. There's a YouTube video if memory serves, could be a similar board.
Oh yeah.

I'm a little disappointed there's not an overflow debug option.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

Very interesting stuff... So the bullets are pretty much just a single point. Always assumed there was a larger rect or radius check around the center.

Thank you so much for sharing this :)
facebook: Facebook
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

do us a favour and show all the boss hitboxes, especially the 1st form of the st5 boss
also, can you see your own hitbox? are hitboxes actually smaller in Expert or is that just a rumor?
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Holy shit that's cool. It would mean the world to me at least if you got that dumped, even if you didn't share it. Backing up something like that is incredibly important.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

Please, PLEASE give us screenshots (if not a video) of all boss hitboxes! (remember different forms!)
:oops: :oops: :oops:
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

I recorded some footage, takes forever to upload on Youtube right now.

Bananamatic, you will be disappointed with boss 5 hitbox, only the lower tail is free to go on it, the rest is only a huge rectangle block.

I was more interested into the boss 3 boss hitbox, last form, with it's famous top left corner spot, and now I got it more, I recorded a footage (without bullets) so we can clearly see why there was this tiny "crash free" area there.

Basically from what I saw, there isn't any safe spot on bosses we don't know, or if there are area you could eventually go on top, you will be destroyed by bullets anyway aiming at you, in exemple here, boss 1, at the very top you can go, but with bullets, it's of course impossible.

Here boss stage 3 first form:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q6z2hVebzZE

And the top left spot:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Q-I-WE8e8c

I'm uploading an epic fight with Inbachi as we speak :mrgreen:
Cagar wrote:Please, PLEASE give us screenshots (if not a video) of all boss hitboxes! (remember different forms!)
:oops: :oops: :oops:

Yep i'll do what I can, but unfortunatly, I can't put the game on pause :lol:
n0rtygames

Post by n0rtygames »

-S.L- wrote:Yep i'll do what I can, but unfortunatly, I can't put the game on pause :lol:
You can make your life easier with the no bullets mode :)

edit: which you've done, I'll get my coat... won't hear a peep out of me... no sir..
facebook: Facebook
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

I meant mainly the rest of the boss, what about the spinning cannons? Sometimes when you point blank it you get huge hyper gain, sometimes you get less and sometimes you get hit immediately without even being that far up, so I assume that the cannons have a pretty long hitbox that starts at a random position, meaning that when it points towards the middle of the boss they just spawn on you.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

I just took a hundred of pictures with bosses "fight"

I need to check the best ones, as taking pictures on CRT monitor, you got aliasing.

And I got very incredible news for you about the hitbox of your own ship, you'll be like holy shit...

Soon... :wink:
system11

Post by system11 »

Yeah, this is cool as fuck. Nice find!
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
50Hz

Post by 50Hz »

-S.L- wrote:And I got very incredible news for you about the hitbox of your own ship, you'll be like holy shit...

Soon... :wink:
Such a tease
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

Personnal best :lol:

Ok, give me an hour and you will know EVERYTHING about hitbox on bosses AND your ship in normal/expert mode, you'll be surprised :shock:
Stompp

Post by Stompp »

Just wow! :shock: Thank you for sharing :D
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

Ok here we go

First of all, I got news about your hit box.

In shot/Laser mode:

- moving up / down or standing by, your hit box is 6x6 pixels
- moving right / left (and therefor diagonals too), your hit box is 4x4 pixels

In Expert mode:

- moving up / down or standing by, your hit box is 4x4 pixels
- moving right / left (and therefor diagonals too), your hit box is 2x2 pixels

BOSSES

The green areas are obviously the hitbox, you dont want to run into it.

BOSS 1

Some parts are moving, you got the idea:

BOSS 2

MID BOSS 3

Why ? Because even thou it's a grounded ennemies, so logically no crash is possible, well, yes there is a gigantic hitbox in the middle where you can crash, happen to me too many times, now I know why.

BOSS 3

BOSS 4

MID BOSSES 5 - 1 & 2

BOSS 5

It seems that the ? area is safe.

INBACHI

I'm guessing Hibachi is the same.

:shock: shit this was heavy to do
lilmanjs

Post by lilmanjs »

This is just nuts. Now everyone will be a master of SDOJ!
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

trap15 wrote:Holy shit that's cool. It would mean the world to me at least if you got that dumped, even if you didn't share it. Backing up something like that is incredibly important.
Dump it for trap15. Maybe he can figure out how to implement this for other Cave games.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
chempop

Post by chempop »

Very useful info!!!

-S.L-, we really appreciate that you went through the process to share this knowledge with the rest of us!
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Good shit, -S.L-, my man. For those who don't know, hitboxes that shrink while moving is a very common and very normal thing. Don't be alarmed.
brentsg wrote:Dump it for trap15. Maybe he can figure out how to implement this for other Cave games.
No point, I wouldn't bother anyway. This is worth dumping because it's an interesting look into dev process and is something worth preserving. If it takes 50 years for the dump to be released, I'm fine with that, I just want it to be preserved and backed up in the case that the board fails.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

trap15 wrote:Good shit, -S.L-, my man. For those who don't know, hitboxes that shrink while moving is a very common and very normal thing. Don't be alarmed.
I didn't know that ! I thought I had a scoop here :mrgreen:

I'm sure my board reserve more surprise, I didn't try all those options yet, scared to fuck things up :oops:
waiwainl

Post by waiwainl »

You got a development enabled board - very nice! Ultra rare :-)
I see new strategies are already being developed. You should add *spoiler* behind the thread title. :-D
Visit: https://shmu.ps
Experience the National Video Game Museum in the Netherlands