Degica Shmups Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Meseki

Re: Degica Shmups Thread

Post by Meseki »

Shepardus wrote:The fact that that's even an issue is concerning (albeit not surprising) because it implies that the gameplay code is tied to the hardware speed. It's far from impossible to keep the two decoupled (for specific examples, notice that MAME runs at the same speed on any system assuming the system meets the base requirements to run it at 100% speed, or just play any online multiplayer game). If you target both PS4 and Xbox One, or even just PS4 and PS4 Pro, you're already going to have to deal with that, albeit to a lesser extent.
It's probably not that the gameplay code is tied to hardware speed (as that would probably result in the game running too fast, like what apparently happens with some old PC/DOS games), but rather that the exact gameplay experience is designed around the hardware having a very specific strength so that the (inevitable) slowdowns will trigger at the same exact points. In the case of ports, that hardware strength has to be accurately emulated/simulated or it results in an inaccurate port.

The actual problem is that they probably should not have exceeded what their hardware could handle at full speed; if the game always ran at 60 FPS, nobody would complain about slowdown inaccuracy because it wouldn't have slowed down originally. Or if they absolutely wanted to have that many bullets while still wanting accurate ports, they could have just had the game go half-speed at a certain bullet and/or object amount that the hardware could just barely handle at full speed, so that the slowdown wouldn't be hardware-reliant.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

the slodowns accuracy is one thing but there's also the basic framerate handling; i've ranted about that already but on two of my computers Mushi can't run without severe frame hangings once every few seconds, no matter the vsync setting, that's with two different windows pc's and two different nvidia gpus
on both I have to disable the gpus and switch to the intel igpus to get the game to run correctly, it's like the game was developprd to run on mommy laptops

there's just a million different pc configurations out there, being able to port games also means knowing how to deal with that
when M2 run a demo on a pc, well it's theirs, so it"ll be ok of course
you can think they're talented and it's true, but porting off-60hz games coming from a massively different system to windows is tough af

and when you hear 'pc port' you expect better than MAME that relies heavily on the cpu and laggy sync methods (not even mentioning the driver accuracy here), not saying it's mission impossible for the devs, but it's not running doujin with a translation patch either, with the shitty way Cave games were designed the difficulty is on a whole other level

that + picky audience = risky
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Frankly I'm not too shocked by the framerate and slowdown issues (it could certainly be better but I imagine getting it right isn't trivial for inexperienced devs), but there are also some bugs that just baffle me, namely the thing in Mushihimesama where scores sometimes get submitted to the wrong leaderboard. I don't think that was ever fixed.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

wait, maybe i wasn't clear, but when the picture hangs the game is still running but i can't play for like a second
and tha happens every minute or so
basically unplayable
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Xyga wrote:the slodowns accuracy is one thing but there's also the basic framerate handling; i've ranted about that already but on two of my computers Mushi can't run without severe frame hangings once every few seconds, no matter the vsync setting, that's with two different windows pc's and two different nvidia gpus
And I've never had any issues with Mushi (aside from the global bugs/inaccuracies) on 3 different computers, one of which was a shitty laptop from 2007 that was far below spec.

e: apparently the last few nvidia driver releases have been quite poor, lots of problems for people. Maybe rollback to 388.xx and see if that helps.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

it's not a cpu/gpu issue, i've had it running perfectly on a third...running XP!

the cave ports on Steam were just not prperly optimized for all kinds of windows pc configs, just stating the obvious
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

For me it ran fine until one of the patches, which I think was supposed to reduce lag with vsync, actually made it worse for me, vsync on or off. By then I had already played it all I wanted to, though.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Happy to hear Cave is still with Degica :)
Really hope Ibara would be released one day..
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
Gespenst

Post by Gespenst »

qmish

Post by qmish »

bytestorm wrote:Happy to hear Cave is still with Degica :)
huh? did they say smth about Cave recently?
mycophobia

Post by mycophobia »

Degica said they love Cave and want to kiss them.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

It's not a new announcement (yet!), but to mark 6/16, Space Invaders Day, Space Invaders Extreme is on sale, we have a free demo version too and two high score contests with prizes!
Details on Steam here: https://steamcommunity.com/games/744050 ... 1139512317

bytestorm

Post by bytestorm »

Dare we hope for satanclaws to bring a Cave release for christmas?
Looking to buy, working or faulty: Dodonpachi, Deathsmiles, Ibara, Rainbow Islands, Bubble Bobble.
DietSoap

Post by DietSoap »

bytestorm wrote:Dare we hope for satanclaws to bring a Cave release for christmas?
Interested in future Cave plans as well. I hope they haven't given up on Steam.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

"DOUBLE POST"
Last edited by Tokyo-J on Mon May 20, 2019 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

James_Degica wrote:Now I've been allowed in, I'll try to keep you (somewhat) up to date on what we're doing over at Degica RE shooting games!

What is the word? What is going on? Any word on new releases for Steam or Consoles?
A Hardcore gamers reaction to the Lack of Kinect games. Apparently i could of played Dodonpachi with it if i beat a entirely in Japanese Visional Novel piece of shit game called Instant Brain
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

Still waiting for Shiki 2, though the timing would be hilarious since I just shelled out for the DC version.
heli wrote:Why is milestone director in prison ?, are his game to difficult ?
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The real question is: would they keep the legendary dub if that were to happen?

As an exclusive arrange: SHIKI 2: HEADSCRATCHER MODE
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

EmperorIng wrote:The real question is: would they keep the legendary dub if that were to happen?

As an exclusive arrange: SHIKI 2: HEADSCRATCHER MODE
Even if they wanted to(lol), I imagine the licensing would be hell, because it was done by XS' family.

At least Shiki 2 has JP voice. Honestly, I just want it so it receives a proper translation. 2 has a crazy story, and I don't want it to stay a footnote in bad localization history.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Personally, I'd like the option to use either the goofball translation or a redone one; off the cuff I'm not sure any remake has ever done this, but I hope at least one "infamous localization" title does at some point.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

BulletMagnet wrote:Personally, I'd like the option to use either the goofball translation or a redone one; off the cuff I'm not sure any remake has ever done this, but I hope at least one "infamous localization" title does at some point.
As mentioned above, licensing would be one probable issue with the voices, and the same goes for the translation too.
However, including some for of parody is something I'd love the chance to do if I got the chance to work on it.
Tokyo-J

Post by Tokyo-J »

James_Degica wrote:
BulletMagnet wrote:Personally, I'd like the option to use either the goofball translation or a redone one; off the cuff I'm not sure any remake has ever done this, but I hope at least one "infamous localization" title does at some point.
As mentioned above, licensing would be one probable issue with the voices, and the same goes for the translation too.
However, including some for of parody is something I'd love the chance to do if I got the chance to work on it.
Is Game Tengoku Paradise still coming to the Switch?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

From having just played the DC version, the 'localization' is literal to a painful fault.

Like for instance, Alara tells Kohtaro in the dub, "It's idiot power!", and in the JP, she says "Baka no chikara."

Fumiko literally says, "The crooked castle... I see."

In the dub? "Crooked... CASTLE? I SEE."
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Think you could get Game Tengoku 2, which was originally for the PlayStation, localized as well? Also, should Castle of Shikigami III be given another dub or is the dub still good to others?
cj iwakura

Post by cj iwakura »

xxx1993 wrote:Think you could get Game Tengoku 2, which was originally for the PlayStation, localized as well? Also, should Castle of Shikigami III be given another dub or is the dub still good to others?
Shikigami 3's dub is a masterpiece, and arguably the greatest dub of all time.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

xxx1993 wrote:Think you could get Game Tengoku 2, which was originally for the PlayStation, localized as well?
Personally I don't think the sequel looks or plays good enough to be particularly worth resurrecting, unfortunately; moreover, one of its main gimmicks was having the second player use a light gun to shoot enemies, which would have to either be re-implemented awkwardly or deep-sixed altogether.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

I still think it should be worth it, though. Not only does Yuki now sport a playboy bunny outfit, we've also got some newcomers.
xxx1993

Post by xxx1993 »

Just get rid of the light gun part and make it just like the first game. Still try to keep most of the story and characters intact.
James_Degica

Post by James_Degica »

Tokyo-J wrote:
James_Degica wrote:
Is Game Tengoku Paradise still coming to the Switch?
I don't know; that leak (or whatever it was) was nothing to do with Degica.

No plans for Game Tengoku 2 or Shikigami 3 at the moment either (we'd need to do 2 first!).
clippa

Post by clippa »

Come on, throw us a bone :D Any PC shmups coming in the near future? We're all jonesing here!