Degica Shmups Thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Erppo

Re: Degica Community Outreach For Crimzon Clover

Post by Erppo »

Blackbird wrote:Would you mind if I reposted these, Erppo?
Sure, go ahead.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Just a heads up, folks: I'm going to have to take the Unlimited video down temporarily. Thanks to a YouTube bug, it is stuck in processing and people can't download it. It looks like the only fix is to delete the video and reupload it, so it might take a little while. I'll probably take it down later this evening to minimize downtime. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Update: Okay, taking down the video now. Will post a new link tomorrow when the video is restored.
Last edited by Blackbird on Tue Aug 19, 2014 5:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

That shiropanda guy on steam has 901b on stage1 with Type I Unlimited somehow, apparently even higher than in the arcades? Then again you can grind all you want for free on World Ignition

I wonder how the hell do you go that high, 700b is fairly doable but past that I have no idea
Tim James

Post by Tim James »

This might be a good time to ask: what is the point of the "Stage 1 Only" scores?
Patashu

Post by Patashu »

Tim James wrote:This might be a good time to ask: what is the point of the "Stage 1 Only" scores?
It's like tracking fastest individual lap times in a racing game where 3 lap races are the norm - it's interesting to optimize in its own right. It also provides opportunities, for example, for people who can't 1CC a mode yet to still be able to demonstrate scoring ability.
Milspex

Post by Milspex »

any news on a possible console release?
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I kind of feel like it would be interesting to see the highest scores on each individual stage, but maybe that would be a bit too much.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

gonna ask just in case, I assume I can freely link to the replays in a guide?
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Yep, now that the replays are available on youtube, they are freely available. Link them wherever you like. The Unlimited run will be back soon... presuming processing doesn't bug out again =P.
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

LordHypnos wrote:I kind of feel like it would be interesting to see the highest scores on each individual stage, but maybe that would be a bit too much.
Without having a secondary mode for stage by stage score attack, scores from subsequent stages are impacted by what you carry into them. They're not comparable in quite the same way.

The stage 1 score does give a little extra hype to that stage we play hundreds of times, too.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

I saw a guy today at Hey Akihabara called "frog", his Nesica card showed his Unlimited Type Z score at 11,346,xxx,xxx,xxx

The guy was not an amateur :shock:
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Anyone interested in helping out with some shmup evangelism?

Gamespot, Hardcoregaming101, and Metacritic all allow user-submitted articles and/or reviews, but don't have any information on Crimzon Clover WI yet. I could write something myself, but I thought to ask you all first. I know some of you have written articles for HG101 before with great success. Crimzon Clover is definitely cult enough at this point to deserve a mention on HG101 at the very least =D.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Blackbird wrote:Anyone interested in helping out with some shmup evangelism?

Gamespot, Hardcoregaming101, and Metacritic all allow user-submitted articles and/or reviews, but don't have any information on Crimzon Clover WI yet. I could write something myself, but I thought to ask you all first. I know some of you have written articles for HG101 before with great success. Crimzon Clover is definitely cult enough at this point to deserve a mention on HG101 at the very least =D.
For Metacritic, you guys at Degica should've sent some review codes to Destructoid, PC Gamer, and the like. I don't know if too late though. Otherwise you'll only have a user score showing up.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Actually, that's what I'm doing right now. Maybe we could see some more press coverage soon =).
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Blackbird wrote:Actually, that's what I'm doing right now. Maybe we could see some more press coverage soon =).
Also, send some review codes to prominent YouTube guys like Mark from Classic Game Room.

On an unrelated note: I noticed a possible bug in CC:WI today. I was credit feeding through Arcade - Boost, and noticed that while the local hi score had the proper score (..ending with 0) and the proper counter for boost time (only to the end of the first credit), the score on the leaderboard had the total boost time I accumulated during my entire play time.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I emailed Mark already. He's apparently buried under a backlog of games, which is pretty expected, honestly ^_^;.

That's a pretty weird bug you found. I'll pass it along.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Blackbird,
here are two images that show the problem. The one with the lower boost count is my local score, the other the score as it was uploaded to the global leaderboard:
http://imgur.com/aBUTLkF (global)
http://imgur.com/SDDYFRe (local)

Further, I noticed a spelling error in the tutorial for Boost Mode: it says 'ivincible' instead of 'invincible' at one point.

Lastly, I'd like to suggest making the shot button skip the launch sequence as well, in addition to the start button. Also, it would be great if the shot button would skip the tutorial, too.
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Thanks for the images, it helps to see the problem on screen.
Eidern

Post by Eidern »

Hi Blackbird,

First of all, thank you for bringing Crimzon Clover to steam. I have been a STG fan for more than 20 years now and it's a great pleasure to see that kind of games coming to the steam platform.

I was wondering i Degica have plans to bring more STGs to steam ? if Yes, did you try to reach CAVE in order to bring their games ? Ithink it would be a great deal both for you, Cave and the players.

Then, do you have a partnership with Yotsubane to release his next game ( garukilla ) ?
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Any info on when the Unlimited video is coming back?
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

I wish I knew. There's this bug with YouTube where video processing freezes at 95%, so the video never gets published. It takes 16 hours to reupload every time I have to take the video down and retry, so it's quite a tedious process. I'll give it one more shot tonight, and if it still fails, I'll just have to live with it being unlisted but at least watchable.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

No it was up for a few moment because I had the time to save it on my computer, so I personally have it !
Eidern

Post by Eidern »

Blackbird, did crimzon clover sold well on steam ? Do you have any numbers regarding that mather ?
rtw

Post by rtw »

@blackbird, before uploading it try a 1:1 conversion with handbrake and upload the converted file.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

The video in question is encoded in high quality H.264 .mp4. What would Handbrake do to improve compatibility in this case?

I really think this is just a bug, because I have another video of similar length encoded in the exact same way, and that video processed fine.

I do have sales estimates for CC on Steam, but I cannot share them for confidentiality reasons. I can't say whether the sales were good or not, because I don't have a basis for comparison. I would need to know how many units an average indie game and/or shmup usually sells before making an assessment like that.
Eidern

Post by Eidern »

Thank you.

Regarding the future of Degica, do you have plans to bring more shmups on steam ?
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

I'd say that CC:WI is doing really well, compared to most indie games. Besides, Degica has hired you, so things can't be too bad. :) In any case, the success of CC:WI is well-deserved. It's a fabulous game.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Blackbird wrote:The video in question is encoded in high quality H.264 .mp4. What would Handbrake do to improve compatibility in this case?
I have used handbrake with great success to get past strange encodings.

To verify that your file is correct you can ask ffmpeg to recode to nothing, this will expose any format errors.

Download ffmpeg here:

http://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/

Then run:

Code: Select all

ffmpeg.exe -v error -i input_filename.m4v -f null -
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

@Eidern: Definitely. The long term plan is to localize doujin games of all genres, and we're planning to make shmups a significant part of our catalog. Everyone I've met at Degica really enjoys them, or at the very least recognizes the value of the genre.

@rtw Certainly can't hurt to try it. I'll wait a bit to see if this current upload attempt works out, then give handbrake a shot if it fails again.
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Blackbird wrote:@Eidern: Definitely. The long term plan is to localize doujin games of all genres, and we're planning to make shmups a significant part of our catalog. Everyone I've met at Degica really enjoys them, or at the very least recognizes the value of the genre.
Can you give us a hint regarding potential future releases? ;) Revolver 360: Reactor would be a nice game to have available on Steam, for instance.