Three new Xbox One Shmups announced (Moss, qute, Triangle)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Re: Three new Xbox One Shmups announced (Moss, qute, Triangl

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Pretas wrote: wouldn't mind at all if Raiden took a similar path while avoiding said balancing issues; the Raiden III/IV formula is getting stale.
You know what else is getting stale? Me, waiting for more news, a trailer, or gameplay of the new Raiden game. They need to make another game like Raiden DX for sure. Hopefully, since there will most likely be more than one new Raiden game that makes up this Raiden 25th anniversary project according to my last post, we should expect many new improvements!
Mero

Post by Mero »

I bet it's going to be like Caladrius: Vertizontal and with Caladrius-type patterns, assuming it's 2DSTG.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Mero wrote:I bet it's going to be like Caladrius: Vertizontal and with Caladrius-type patterns, assuming it's 2DSTG.
Whatever format they go with, I'm sure it will be awesome! (Assuming it's a shmup) (Although I wouldn't mind seeing an Ace Combat style Raiden)
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Honestly, I don't think MOSS has the experience or resources right now to handle a game in full 3D space, unless they receive major development support from Microsoft.

Whatever this Raiden game is, chances are it will be marketed more heavily outside Japan than past releases to help promote the One. I could even see Microsoft publishing it themselves here.
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

cave hermit wrote: Also I've been hearing Ginga Force has a story mode; how does that work? Does it still have an arcade mode or score attack mode?
Anybody has an answer for that?

Also, how well does Ginga Force play on a CRT television? (Any black bars you can't get rid of?)
Special World

Post by Special World »

nosorrow wrote:
cave hermit wrote: Also I've been hearing Ginga Force has a story mode; how does that work? Does it still have an arcade mode or score attack mode?
Anybody has an answer for that?

Also, how well does Ginga Force play on a CRT television? (Any black bars you can't get rid of?)
Ginga Force has a story mode, and it's incredible. Really fun ship customization. Two of the levels are kinda weak imo, but the game's level-based system means each stage can be longer than in most shooters, plus there are more stages overall than is typical of the genre. I'd say even removing those two levels it has more/better content than just about any shooter out there.

There is a score attack mode with three standardized ships, and they're the exact ships you'd want them to be. Each one is so cool that it'd be worthy of its own game.

If you haven't gotten Eschatos and Ginga Force yet, you're really missing out. I'd say they're the #1 essentials after [insert your favorite Cave game here].
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

I am currently awaiting the arrival of the Wonder Pack (Eschatos + GF) from Play-Asia. :wink:
CDexWard

Post by CDexWard »

Bring on Cave Shooting Collection One! And some proper arcade sticks without crappy fighting game designs.
mdsfx

Post by mdsfx »

CDexWard wrote:Bring on Cave Shooting Collection One! And some proper arcade sticks without crappy fighting game designs.
The art comes right out. Also, the regular TE2 is a non-game-specific design.
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Have there been any new recent updates about the new Raiden 25th anniversary project? I'm getting impatient waiting to hear more about it, and I could care less about the other shmups announced in this thread, Raiden is the only one I care about.
Cuilan

Post by Cuilan »

We're probably not going to get any new information until at least TGS at the earliest.
:lol:
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Cuilan wrote:We're probably not going to get any new information until at least TGS at the earliest.
Well that's not too far off, but I hope they do reveal some new information about it though.
Mero

Post by Mero »

Natsuki Chronicle is going to have a teaser trailer shown at TGS

http://www.famitsu.com/news/201409/16061369.html

EDIT:And so is the new Raiden game, and they're going to reveal the proper name of it.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/262/G026225/20140917004/

TGS starts tomorrow so not long to wait.
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

See that an upcoming Hori RAP Hayabusa for Xbox One will be out stateside:

http://www.amazon.com/HORI-Real-Arcade- ... ade+pro+v4

The earlier 360 based HRAPs won't work on the Xbox One which doesn't fare well.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Mero wrote:And so is the new Raiden game, and they're going to reveal the proper name of it.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/262/G026225/20140917004/

TGS starts tomorrow so not long to wait.
This just keeps getting better and better. First Raiden 2 and DX are working in MAME, now a trailer for the new Raiden game, this is awesome! :)
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

But...

XBone?
Bonus!

Post by Bonus! »

Wasn't it already announced that Raiden would come to other platforms, too? I sure hope so.
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Bonus! wrote:Wasn't it already announced that Raiden would come to other platforms, too? I sure hope so.
No. It is still an Xbox One exclusive.
KAI

Post by KAI »

Despatche

Post by Despatche »

i'm worried about raiden v. the "raiden iii and iv formula" (being the entire series formula) being "stale" somehow is pretty laughable. if you're not going to stick to basic series principles, please don't make a "new entry" and force the series to "change". people think drastically different games in a series are good, when all that happens is that they hurt the concept of a "series".

daifukkatsu is a pretty good example of a game that sticks to the plan while still being different. i'm worried that raiden v isn't going to be like that, because the whole situation (the timing, the whole logo change) screams "let's make not-raiden 'for a change'". i hope it'll turn out that all they're saying is that it's going to be a bit more like the relatively unique raiden iii.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I haven't played it but Caladrius looked a bit more theatrical, if you interpret the current pictures as attempting to show as much we could be seeing more or less the same game but with "theatrical" things like an actual story plot or at least camera changes ala TF V boss intros. I'm hoping it doesn't go off the beaten path too much though.
chempop

Post by chempop »

Despatche wrote:because the whole situation (the timing, the whole logo change) screams "let's make not-raiden 'for a change'".
What makes you jump to such absurd suspicians?
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

Damn, Natsuki Chronicles teaser trailer doesn't have gameplay either:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1g09MyTxcco

It does have Natsuki and her stage theme song, so this definitely seems to be a direct sequel/prequel to Ginga Force.

The text might mention some game details.

Hope there is a "full playthrough" mode for scoring though, not too much a fan of Single Stage scoring. If not there is still the Eschatos collection for that.

Buying either way.
Last edited by Legendary Hoamaru on Fri Sep 19, 2014 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

That was one of the laziest trailers that I've ever seen, lol. They even re-used the music from Ginga Force. I'm still hyped for the game but I really hope that they include a Score Attack mode!
pestro87

Post by pestro87 »

Here's a translation of the text in the trailer for Natsuki Chronicles:

人類が7番目に移住した惑星
「セブンティア」
Mankind emigrated to the 7th planet “Seven Tear”

爽快感を最大限に重視したーー
”横スクロール”シューティング
“Horizontal Scrollling Shooter” emphasizing the maximum exhiliration

スクロールシューティングの枠組みを超えたーー
シューティングxストーリーxカスタマイズ
Shooting x Story x Customization beyond the borders of a scrolling shooter

シューターの魂を揺さぶるーー
最高に熱いシューティングサウンド!
The best, hottest Shooting Sound, rocking the soul of a shooter!

地球から遠く離れた惑星で
何を思い何を成すのか・・・
What do you think could happen in the planets that are far away from the Earth...?

ストーリーと融合した
新世代シューティングが
XboxOne専用で登場!
Fused with a story
New generation Shooting
Exclusive to Xbox One
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Ah, so it looks like they're going hori for this one....i'm intrigued
Special World

Post by Special World »

Sounds like exactly what you'd want out of a Qute game. I don't see how it could possibly be as fresh as Eschatos, or the jump from Eschatos to Ginga Force, but I'm hoping Qute really is this magic company that can substantially advance the genre with each new game they make.
http://catstronaut.wordpress.com/
  • catstronaut loves games
Zaarock

Post by Zaarock »

Special World wrote:Sounds like exactly what you'd want out of a Qute game. I don't see how it could possibly be as fresh as Eschatos, or the jump from Eschatos to Ginga Force, but I'm hoping Qute really is this magic company that can substantially advance the genre with each new game they make.
How exactly is Eschatos a substantial advancement from Judgement Silversword though? They have very similar mechanics and lots of similar enemy patterns. Eschatos improves on a lot of things but I don't see how people who played JSS could find it very fresh.

Not trying to hate on your idea or anything, I love all the Qute games so far. Hoping this new game is a worthy followup to Ginga Force, though I've always preferred vertical STG. Hopefully score attack/arcade mode is unlocked immediately this time so people aren't forced to grind through story if they dislike it.
amdiggywhut

Post by amdiggywhut »

Has any sort of approximate date been given for either game, outside of "2015"?
50Hz

Post by 50Hz »

Zaarock wrote:
Special World wrote:Sounds like exactly what you'd want out of a Qute game. I don't see how it could possibly be as fresh as Eschatos, or the jump from Eschatos to Ginga Force, but I'm hoping Qute really is this magic company that can substantially advance the genre with each new game they make.
How exactly is Eschatos a substantial advancement from Judgement Silversword though? They have very similar mechanics and lots of similar enemy patterns. Eschatos improves on a lot of things but I don't see how people who played JSS could find it very fresh.

Not trying to hate on your idea or anything, I love all the Qute games so far. Hoping this new game is a worthy followup to Ginga Force, though I've always preferred vertical STG. Hopefully score attack/arcade mode is unlocked immediately this time so people aren't forced to grind through story if they dislike it.
If you're looking at the games purely from their mechanics then sure, JSS and Eschatos are very similar, if you consider presentation then that's when they become considerably different.
There are shmups that play around with how perspective is used (and even then it's mainly transitions) but not many to the extent that Eschatos does.