The official Yagawa worship thread and 10,000th topic

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ed Oscuro

Re: So this is apparently the 10,000th topic in Shmups chat.

Post by Ed Oscuro »

BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS, everyone!

And yes, "I'm going to beat the hell out of you." :mrgreen:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: > everything
That's not Mid-Garts. That's not even Prehistoric Isle in 1930.
Doctor Butler

Post by Doctor Butler »

Stephen Hawking tells me to go to space, so I do, then I die, and he mocks me.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I5LdCI70A3o
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

Squire Grooktook wrote:Gradius & Darius > R-Type > Raiden
You must be trolling :lol:
I hate horizontal shmups almost as much as I hate Garegga. Gradius, Darius, and R-Type are so far beneath Raiden.
Raiden series > every other vertical shmup > every horizontal shmup > Galaxian and Garegga
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:
Squire Grooktook wrote:Gradius & Darius > R-Type > Raiden
You must be trolling :lol:
He is.

R-Type > Gradius & Darius > Raiden.

There, that's better.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

R-Type is a notch below Gradius and Darius mainly because I only really like the first one and Delta.

Raiden will always be the bottom of the barrel, though.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
chempop

Post by chempop »

You guys are idiots.

Raiden > Plasmo's socks > anal fisting > HD bootlegs > STV
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Sly Cherry Chunks

Ed Oscuro wrote:BE ATTITUDE FOR GAINS, everyone!

And yes, "I'm going to beat the hell out of you." :mrgreen:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote: > everything
That's not Mid-Garts. That's not even Prehistoric Isle in 1930.
SuperSoaker360

Post by SuperSoaker360 »

Otomedius > Gradius III ARC

in other news pausing the game at any point in time during a run means your score isnt fair hahahaahahwwwwwww
1CC List | YouTube Channel | Twitter | RebKMG/KMG
RegalSin wrote:Wait a minute, everything else is better then an aerodactyle, with a man face on it.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:Gradius, Darius, and R-Type are so far beneath Raiden.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
Sly Cherry Chunks

Brilliant!
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I've been wondering what "Be attitude for gains" is from.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Radiant Silvergun

aka The King
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

ACSeraph wrote:
Emo Fox Jet Pilot wrote:Gradius, Darius, and R-Type are so far beneath Raiden.
Ughhhh :roll:
chempop wrote:You guys are idiots.

Raiden > Plasmo's socks > anal fisting > HD bootlegs > STV
At least chempop has the right mindset though 8)
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

This page needs moar Mars Matrix
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_buVwr3qy1k
holy shit 2,660,000 experience in one stage :shock:
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Let's start a petition.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

Lets first poll if we want a petition !
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Petition for Steam games to be released on Cave.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
ciox

Post by ciox »

LordHypnos wrote:On Topic: Lookit that chaining :shock:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCedpkQ6Ros
That really reminds me, I would love to see a Matrix superplay with good audio/video quality.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Hellsinker>R-type>Darius>Gradius>Cave>shmups
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

Yagawa>everything

Hail Raizing full of grace Yagawa is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst Shmup devs, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Rank. Holy Raizing, mother of Yagawa, pray for us casuals, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

LordHypnos wrote:
M.Knight wrote:I would like to try out Mars Matrix but I don't have a Dreamcast nor a powerful enough PC to emulate it. '^_^

I do have a Wii to play Milestone shmups, though. And they are aaaawesome~
are you sure? I got basically fullspeed CPS2 emulation on a netbook in shmupMAME (with frameskip, anyway).
I should really try out some milestone games one of these days...
MM is CPS2, like Progear? Silly me, as Mars Matrix was ported to the Dreamcast, I thought it was on some more recent hardware such as the NAOMI. :lol:
So, yep, I tried it out and managed to reach stage 3 once, and I must say it is an interesting game! Its frantic pace, the bullet canceling mechanics and the fact that touching ennemies don't harm you remind me a bit of Milestone games, which is cool in my book.
I am not too fond of the the music (save for stage 1's theme) but the game mechanics are fun. Not sure what to think about the chaining and leveling, as I usually don't like those kind of mechanics when they are intertwined. However, the chaining in itself is more visually appealing than, say, DDP, because you naturally want to collect "those gold cubes".
I doubt I'll play it as much as you, but thanks for endlessly blabbering about it. :D
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project
Casey120

Post by Casey120 »

cave hermit wrote:Yagawa>everything

Hail Raizing full of grace Yagawa is with thee. Blessed art thou amongst Shmup devs, and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Rank. Holy Raizing, mother of Yagawa, pray for us casuals, now and at the hour of our death. Amen.

Mamoru Furukawa puts the cherry on top :!:
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

M.Knight wrote: MM is CPS2, like Progear? Silly me, as Mars Matrix was ported to the Dreamcast, I thought it was on some more recent hardware such as the NAOMI. :lol:
So, yep, I tried it out and managed to reach stage 3 once, and I must say it is an interesting game! Its frantic pace, the bullet canceling mechanics and the fact that touching ennemies don't harm you remind me a bit of Milestone games, which is cool in my book.
I am not too fond of the the music (save for stage 1's theme) but the game mechanics are fun. Not sure what to think about the chaining and leveling, as I usually don't like those kind of mechanics when they are intertwined. However, the chaining in itself is more visually appealing than, say, DDP, because you naturally want to collect "those gold cubes".
I doubt I'll play it as much as you, but thanks for endlessly blabbering about it. :D
My thoughts on your comments:
Yes, not dying from touching enemies is excellent. I didn't realize that Milestone games were like that as well. cool!

The shield mechanic is definately my favorite part of the game, and I think it's more interesting than any other shielding mechanics I've seen.

I tend to think that the music works well in the context of the game, but not so much outside of it. Stage 5 and 6 are my favorites though, and you probably haven't had a chance to listen to those yet. Also, the explosions are very loud and I think the music + explosions that cover it up regularly works pretty well.

I would say that the chaining is mostly better than other games because of how much control you have over it (you can turn bullets into gold cubes with the shield to bridge gaps in the chain). I can see your point about them being intertwined though. I think you'll probably be good if you can get to about level 4 shot (100,000 ep), but I don't really remember how hard that might have been to get there before I knew how to chain the first stage, for example. Also there are definately a few places where having shot level 6+ is really helpful (perhaps less so if you aren't trying to chain in general though). Low level runs are definately possible though. I've seen some clears with lower experience than I usually get by the end of the third stage...

One last thing is that in the DC version, there's an auto button for the piercing cannon that makes the game a bit easier (at least in the first 4 stages, I basically don't use it in the 5th stage, and haven't made it to the 6th yet, but I probably wouldn't use it there, either). I really ought to learn how to deal with the manual piercing one of these days, because the one button control scheme is pretty cool, actually.

Anyway, somebody played Mars Matrix, so my work here is done :twisted:
1) Create Scoring System
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

Thanks for this reply!
I was not aware that you could use the shield to keep the chain going, that's good to know.
As for the auto-piercing shot, I think it is also in the arcade version. At least, when I held B in the MAME version, my ship was auto-piercing. It is convenient but also makes it a bit counter-intuitive to panic-bomb as I am not used to pressing the A button for that. But that's nothing training can't fix.
I was curious as to how this one-button scheme worked, and it is indeed well thought.

Oh, and to be more accurate about Milestone games, Radirgy, Karous and Illvelo allow you to touch ennemies without losing lives. Radirgy Noa doesn't and that's one of the reasons I don't like it as much as the others, and I don't really know about Chaos Field, but that's mostly a boss rush so it is less relevant.
RegalSin wrote: I think I have downloaded so much I am bored with downloading. No really I bored with downloading stuff I might consider moving to Canada or the pacific.
nZero

Post by nZero »

M.Knight wrote:At least, when I held B in the MAME version, my ship was auto-piercing.
That was hacked into shmupmame and doesn't exist on the original arcade version. One button only.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

M.Knight wrote:Thanks for this reply!
I was not aware that you could use the shield to keep the chain going, that's good to know.
As for the auto-piercing shot, I think it is also in the arcade version. At least, when I held B in the MAME version, my ship was auto-piercing. It is convenient but also makes it a bit counter-intuitive to panic-bomb as I am not used to pressing the A button for that. But that's nothing training can't fix.
I was curious as to how this one-button scheme worked, and it is indeed well thought.

Oh, and to be more accurate about Milestone games, Radirgy, Karous and Illvelo allow you to touch ennemies without losing lives. Radirgy Noa doesn't and that's one of the reasons I don't like it as much as the others, and I don't really know about Chaos Field, but that's mostly a boss rush so it is less relevant.
Well, when you reflect bullets onto objects, the bullets turn into gold cubes, you can then collect those to continue the chain. Have you figured out that you don't need to bomb with the shield? if you drain a small amount of the shield gauge it will regenerate faster, and unless you hold down until the bomb, you can reflect the bullets in whatever direction.

shmupMAME has autopiercing mapped to B, but it's not as well implemented as in the DC version (sometimes doesn't work, and A doesn't override). It's easier to panic bomb (The best way to do this, by the way, is holding down for a very short time so that your shield recovers really fast. You can also abuse the split second invulnerability that you get after shielding) if it's remapped to a trigger or shoulder button, as well. this is default in the DC version, but you could probably create a custom button that is set to button 2 and then map that to the trigger/shoulder.
1) Create Scoring System
M.Knight

Post by M.Knight »

nZero : Wasn't aware of that. Thanks!

LordHypnos : I indeed noticed that I could stop shielding early to make it recover faster. In that sense, it is not as in Milestone games where activating the shield depletes its entire jauge and you have to refill it from scratch. But it refills faster in Milestone games.
Therefore, I also noticed that you can pick gold cubes from defeated ennemies thanks to the shield but I haven't really mastered in what direction deflected bullets go so it still seems a bit random to me. By experimenting and playing the game more, it should become more understable, I guess.

Thanks for the tip for the trigger but I play on a keyboard, so I'll try to find another comfortable set-up. Playing with three buttons on a keyboard can be cumbersome, but I manged to do rather fine with ESP Ra.De and Touhou games, so it should be alright.

EDIT : Oh, just a little something I have forgotten to say : the Game Over sound is one of the cheesiest I ever heard in a shmup. :lol:
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

cave hermit wrote: and blessed is the fruit of thy womb Rank.
hahahah oh man, damn near pissed myself
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
nosorrow

Post by nosorrow »

LordHypnos wrote: The shield mechanic is definately my favorite part of the game, and I think it's more interesting than any other shielding mechanics I've seen.

I tend to think that the music works well in the context of the game, but not so much outside of it. Also, the explosions are very loud and I think the music + explosions that cover it up regularly works pretty well.

I would say that the chaining is mostly better than other games because of how much control you have over it
Entirely agree.
Mars Matrix is one of the (if not THE) most replayable games I have ever played (I'm 37 and have been enjoying games since my father got us an NES in 1988). I don't know why it eluded me all those years but I'm never letting it go now, lol.