The SHMUP music sharing game.

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Tregard

Re: The SHMUP music sharing game.

Post by Tregard »

"The Orbital Mechanized Temple. The twin-tined instrument of mankind's destruction. KAMUI."

I'm really getting into this game at the moment, and the stage one theme is just a fantastic way to kick things off. It's urgent, majestic and faintly melancholic.

Surprised the game has had relatively little discussion on these boards, particularly now that it's on Steam. I love the way it puts the emphasis on aggression and destruction via careful deployment of your three main weapons, as opposed to bullet dodging. It also has a beautiful attention to detail in the graphics, particularly the bosses which come apart in sections like Raizing's best creations.
Lord Satori

Post by Lord Satori »

I found This on youtube. I think you guys will enjoy it.
BryanM wrote:You're trapped in a haunted house. There's a ghost. It wants to eat your friends and have sex with your cat. When forced to decide between the lives of your friends and the chastity of your kitty, you choose the cat.
city41

Post by city41 »

I love the instrumentation and feel they pulled out of the lil SNES in Super R-Type.

A Submerging Titan, level 4, Super R-type
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

WARNING
A HUGE BATTLE SHIP
GREAT THING
IS APPROACHING FAST
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Captain

Post by Captain »

WARNING
A HUGE BATTLE SHIP
GREAT THING
IS APPROACHING FAST
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Perikles

Post by Perikles »

Metamor Jupiter's ghastly stage 9 theme never fails to set the mood (I apologise for the unusual portal, I don't have a Youtube channel and couldn't find the track elsewhere). It's almost like a deranged Greek chorus intones an eldritch omen, ceasing in a wailing tremolo. It's fairly short, but immensely effective - I clearly remember how shivers ran down my spine the first time I got to this stage.
Legendary Hoamaru

Post by Legendary Hoamaru »

WARNING
A HUGE BATTLE SHIP
GREAT THING
IS APPROACHING FAST
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Smokey

Post by Smokey »

TWlight INSanity - Phantom
I always think of this song when I think of this game. A lot of the music in this game makes me nostalgic, even if it's not very good.
BIL

Post by BIL »

First I said "meh who cares about Terra Cresta music" then I went "FUUUCK." Shimoine rocks hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6l1cpIXA1sE
copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

copy-paster

Post by copy-paster »

Glad to see grad1u5 still active on YT with his(?) rendition of Battle Garegga.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^Damn, Garegga has good fuckin' music.

I kinda wanted to post some Valkyrius music, because that has several really excellent tracks (though the stage 1 bgm doesn't especially stick out to me, but everything else that i heard was pretty sick). Unfortunately there's still nothing on yt, and Stevens already posted the bandcamp page some time ago.

After skimming the past few pages, looks like I might have somehow missed posting any Ring⁻²⁷ music. Possibly just because of how unsearchable that title is. I found one upload though, somehow. Apologies if these were posted earlier already.
stage 5
boss 1
stage 2
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Feedbacker

Post by Feedbacker »

DOJ stage 1 piano version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hNBSQhsMX6Q
Ketsui stage 5 piano version : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iqW3duqZcPA
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

With all the TF music that's been posted, I'm not sure if this one is new to the thread or not, but damn! It's like a lesson in how to make YM2612 + SN76489 sound amazing: https://youtu.be/P102rpLLTaA
Yamanishi, ofc.
1) Create Scoring System
BIL

Post by BIL »

Even TFIV's bonus tracks mop the floor with typical VGM. Image

That innocent warmth and controlled intensity always make me think of a Hudson-style Caravan mode, with a fast ship methodically rocketing up and down the field as time ticks away. Truly characterful music. Actually the sunny tone is rather Hudson-esque; not even a trace of the clang lesser composers struggled with.

I've been enjoying W-Ring (PCE)'s music this weekend. Always had a soft spot for the game (a kind of Soldier/Gradius hybrid) and its oddly plaintive, warbly tunes. I really like how the EX stage BGMs match the abrupt jump in threat level, never moreso than in EX5's high-speed area. Explodes out of the gate... excellent synergy of stage design and music. It's a pretty forgiving game but that bit fires me up every time! The solo actually makes me think of Naxat's own Devil Crash, I wonder if any personnel/technique was shared.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

^The music to the genesis Devil's Crush was definitely good. I seem to remember it being made by one of the Technosoft guys though. Will have to check out the PCE version music.

On a completely unrelated note, Here's a good one. It really goes well with the action onscreen, too.
1) Create Scoring System
BIL

Post by BIL »

Devil Crash MD was ported by Tecno Soft, yeah. :smile: Besides the main table BGM from the PCE original, its Omake tracks include TFII (Knights of Legend), TFIII (Venus Fire) and Elemental Master (Bloodstained Lake) BGMs... plus "Etude of Wind" from an RPG whose name I can never recall offhand, and my favourite of the bunch: an absolutely stomping upgrade of Herzog Zwei's "A Breach of Contract." That kick drum sound they got out of the MD is so damn good. You can use all of these tracks in the game itself via password, too - always found that very cool, given Omake stuff usually sat out the games themselves.

I'm 50/50 on PCE vs MD versions of the main table BGM, but it's a helluva composition regardless. Jaki Crush (SFC)'s is fantastic too. Crush Pinball trilogy's got some strong music cred.
uzernaem

Post by uzernaem »

I think I've found my favorite old-school fm soundtrack:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4IcXgQfk7m0
nice intro and then that part at 0:53, dem feels

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R-_t5UNzZig
this one is just beautiful although starts like an 2000s emo song

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THRbjMKfd8A
this just gets epic after the intro
BIL

Post by BIL »

As great as the song proper is, my favourite aspect of Gun Frontier's st1 BGM is that uneasy opening drone - synonymous with the explosive punch of its phenomenal intro animation.
Spoiler
Now that's cinema.
Captain

Post by Captain »

Nah I'm pretty sure it's Taito.
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

Spoiler
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Dariusburst/DBAC/DBCS gets plenty of praise for its soundtrack but I haven't seen much mention of specific tracks from it besides Hello 31337, Great Thing's boss music (which, by the way, is pretty cool). I'm guessing this is because DBAC, which many of the best tracks are from, hasn't been available to most people until recently and YouTube uploads of the soundtrack tend to get taken down.

I'm especially in love with "Suite Photoconductivity," which serves as the soundtrack for route ADH in DBAC and its harder equivalent in EX mode, ORV. The way it syncs up with and sets the atmosphere for the route is phenomenal and I can't get enough of how it flows seamlessly not only from stage to boss, but also from bosses to stage clear screen and from clear screen to the next stage. Zuntata's DBAC soundtrack has it in six (gapless) tracks but it's really more like a single track for the entire playthrough that ebbs and flows at different moments in the game. I can only find two of the parts on YouTube besides the short clips on Zuntata's channel:
First Tune: Iron Fossil plays during the first stage (A or O) and boss (Iron Fossil or Knight Fossil).
Sixth Tune: Guidance plays after you've defeated the last boss, Violent Ruler/Golden Ruler, through the clear screen and ending (this video also includes a bit of Fifth Tune: Tyrant from the boss fight itself).

My favorite new track from DBCS is Splendid Form, which plays during the Azure Nightmare boss fight. Unsurprisingly there aren't any YouTube uploads of the track since the album isn't actually out yet, but you can hear it in Zaarock's video of the boss fight, and there's a short preview of it on Zuntata's channel (it's around the 2-minute mark in the preview).

Some of my favorite tracks from DBAC are actually arrangements of tracks from Syvalion, which I hadn't heard of prior to learning this but nevertheless find pretty cool.
Syvalion Arrange MMIX (this is just a preview clip from Zuntata's channel since I can't find the full version anywhere on YouTube) plays during Dark Helios and Dark Flare and is one of my favorite boss themes from the game. It feels as if the boss is snaking around in time with the music in a dance of sorts.
Syvalion Arrange GOLD is currently stuck in my head. It's really different from anything else in Dariusburst, and it really left an impression on my since I was totally unprepared for the moment when it plays (which is itself a really awesome, albeit too short, tribute to Syvalion).

There's also Syvalion Arrange ONE but I can't remember where that is used.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Captain

Post by Captain »

BIL wrote:
Spoiler
Spoiler
Speaking of Dariusburst, I absolutely enjoy Hinder four.

Might be my favorite track in the game. Fun starts at around 1:10.
Image Image
BIL

Post by BIL »

You've turned my original creation into a thing of evil! :shock: :cool:
Captain

Post by Captain »

Yes. First your creations, then you are next!

Assimilate today, for death to humans and a chance to win a free copy of R-type Delta delivered right to your door, free of shipping costs, for only 0.99$ + shipping.

Here's a break from Darius. One of the most fitting boss themes ever made in my opinion. The fact that the bosses themselves all have superb presentation only adds up to it.
Image Image
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Thunder Force IV has like a million tracks
Silvery Light of the moon
Love Dream
Different ending themes for each difficulty!

And for each boss like in every Technosoft game
Recalcitrance
1) Create Scoring System
Captain

Post by Captain »

snip
Last edited by Captain on Sun Feb 28, 2016 10:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Image Image
TerraCottaFrog

Post by TerraCottaFrog »

The stage four music from Zas for the Gameboy has to be my favorite in any shmup.
Unfortunately this game now goes for $300 cart only :cry: