shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 8:17 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13
 Post subject: Re: The SHMUP music sharing game.
PostPosted: Wed Apr 06, 2016 3:06 pm 

I liked all G-Darius music a lot when I first hear it, way better than new age-ish Gaiden.

For example is Invivo, plays during the "fourth" stage, love the semi-vocal choir samples also fits perfectly to the stages which really imaginative IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 2:53 pm 

Replaying Final Mission (FC) at the moment, enjoying the deep kick of those basslines and drum samples. I was thinking "sure is Contra-esque" and sure enough, composer Kyohei Sada is a 1980s Konami vet just like his Natsume contemporary Iku Mizutani. High-calibre chaps... KoNatsume, baby! The whole OST's great, with fat, almost jazzy leads shaded by a plaintive tone and driven by cybernetic bass hammer. As with Natsume in general, it's worth a play for any fan of Konami's FC music (or games). A few tracks that stood out this session:

"The Last Hope" (Intro) - an elegiac beauty, strikingly contrasted with fiery apocalyptic imagery. Both elements absent from the NES version whose name I don't deign to say here*. Just too much, chaps. (・`ω´・)

New York City Ruins (stage 1) saxy sorrow, violent backbeat, beefy explosions. Manful shooting BGM.

Boss theme - short and scintillating in the spirit of Gradius II & III boss BGMs, evocative of a desperate battle. That drum kit is getting battered. :o

The Astrotube (stage 4) - this one's composition grew on me. Rocketing tension with Steve Harris Bass Gallop™ straight into a calculatedly brutal halt, presaging the shift from feisty riffing to a bleak, spacey solo.

*awful name and missing intro aside, S.C.A.T. does make some interesting changes to the audio mix. Ultimately I prefer the fatter FC drums to the crisper NES ones, but both are worth a listen for sure.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Aug 24, 2016 7:39 pm 

BIL wrote:
Replaying Final Mission (FC) at the moment, enjoying the deep kick of those basslines and drum samples. I was thinking "sure is Contra-esque" and sure enough, composer Kyohei Sada is a 1980s Konami vet just like his Natsume contemporary Iku Mizutani. High-calibre chaps... KoNatsume, baby! The whole OST's great, with fat, almost jazzy leads shaded by a plaintive tone and driven by cybernetic bass hammer. As with Natsume in general, it's worth a play for any fan of Konami's FC music (or games). A few tracks that stood out this session:

"The Last Hope" (Intro) - an elegiac beauty, strikingly contrasted with fiery apocalyptic imagery. Both elements absent from the NES version whose name I don't deign to say here*. Just too much, chaps. (・`ω´・)

New York City Ruins (stage 1) saxy sorrow, violent backbeat, beefy explosions. Manful shooting BGM.

Boss theme - short and scintillating in the spirit of Gradius II & III boss BGMs, evocative of a desperate battle. That drum kit is getting battered. :o

The Astrotube (stage 4) - this one's composition grew on me. Rocketing tension with Steve Harris Bass Gallop™ straight into a calculatedly brutal halt, presaging the shift from feisty riffing to a bleak, spacey solo.

*awful name and missing intro aside, S.C.A.T. does make some interesting changes to the audio mix. Ultimately I prefer the fatter FC drums to the crisper NES ones, but both are worth a listen for sure.

my god, this entire soundtrack is jazz for the soul

Liar. I've known you only from latexmachomen.com and pantysniffers.org forums.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Aug 25, 2016 3:33 pm 

BIL wrote:
Boss theme - short and scintillating in the spirit of Gradius II & III boss BGMs, evocative of a desperate battle. That drum kit is getting battered. :o[/size]

While listening the boss music an image of SFC Gradius III BigCore Mk II and III fight pops in my head, really fitting. :'o

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 23, 2017 6:46 am 

Check out this new arrangement of MSX Nemesis 3 with Gradius II and (mostly) Rebirth soundfonts.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:11 pm 

How do you guys feel about orchestral music in shmups? A couple games have done this. Off the top of my head, Ikaruga, Reflex, and (what actually made me think about bumping this thread) Giga Wing 2 did it. It does seem to offer a more dramatic feel than the usual stuff, even though I'm a huge fan of more standard arcade music, as well as electronic music and stuff. I think it especially enhances Reflex, just given how cinematic that game already is.

Example Ark from Giga Wing 2
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 3:17 pm 

The soundtrack is one of the best aspects of Radiant Silvergun. Possibly Hitoshi Sakimoto's most iconic score.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 6:07 pm 

LordHypnos wrote:
How do you guys feel about orchestral music in shmups?

I think anything can work, provided it meshes with the game's tone. I wouldn't want RSG's "Evasion" in Dangun Feveron or Raiden Fighters, not because it's orchestral-sounding, but because it's evocative of the game's desperate final stand - as opposed to Dangun's wacky space disco caper, or RF's superhumanly cold-blooded surgical strike.

It's not just about premise or aesthetic either - game design is a factor too. Some say RF's soundtrack clashes, but I know when I'm out slaughtering my enemies at speed in vicious yet systemic, undeniably technical ways, the BPM is going nuts! Point being RF's QUICKSHOT QUICKSHOT QUICKSHOT DESTROYED AT A TIME high-speed stunting has an innate character - frantic yet controlled, with an insistently pounding beat to suit. It's not the optimal context for the nuance of RSG's orchestrals, or even Raiden II's stoic yet subtly plaintive melodic rock. Nor Lords of Thunder's galloping power metal, or R-Type Delta's bouts of crawling ambient horror.

This is Soundtracks 101, I know. But I think the variety of tone and pace seen across different STGs bears emphasising. Despite the genre's almost universally no-brakes ethos, there are STGs that can support filmic moods and soundtracks just like there are others built for relentless techno/metal barraging.

Sakimoto's Soukyugurentai OST is broadly similar to RSG's, though it's noticeably colder and more expressly electronic - little of the burning passion redolent of a doomed but ferociously hard-fought battle to survive. I like to think it reflects the game's mercenary theme - it's a deadly-intense scenario, for sure, but it's what the characters signed up for, and they're being well-compensated for their efforts!

Last edited by BIL on Sun Oct 27, 2019 1:08 am, edited 2 times in total.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:27 pm 

^Of course you're right :mrgreen: It's all about how the music fits with the atmosphere, and orchestral stuff does fit very well with that sort of dramatic, serious, and often cinematic atmosphere.
Here's another good one from Reflex this time: An Unavoidable Choice
Actually, listening to this, I'm realizing that the reflex music actually has a driving drum beat behind it along with the orchestral stuff. This seems to add a lot of energy, but it's still very dramatic. You can feel how much is at stake here.

Giga Wing 2 boss theme 1 such a sense of danger!

Good call on Soukyugurentai. I always forget about that game. You've also done an excellent job of describing it.
1) Create Scoring System

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:38 pm 

Totally forgot to mention - RefleX's choice of "Angel Dust" during that orbital re-entry sequence was so harrowing, between it and the burning red aura, I was certain my ship was gonna explode if I took too long! Even knowing you're not on a timer, it gives the scene an incredible gravity. As you said, Siter Skain are excellent at raising the dramatic stakes like this... even not really knowing what's going on in their rather intense storylines, it's impossible not to feel their presence. My favourite is possibly Kamui's "Inherited Memory," alternating between funereal and furious with such conviction, you know you're not just witnessing a run-of-the-mill Evil Computer End Boss - there's some dark history here! That's the ideal of course, action and soundtrack playing off one another.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 15, 2018 7:12 pm 

^Very true. Goes to show that having a "cinematic" experience doesn't actually require any understanding of the plot, which is an interesting point.
1) Create Scoring System

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2019 12:26 am 

Put Cyber Brawl (32X)'s OST on while doing other things, and although it's VS fighting rather than STG - there's a lot of stuff fans of Tecno Soft's MD soundtracks will love. Naruto (Fully Armoured) is absolute Thunder Force IV material - chugging power chords, soaring elegiac leads and a battering drum sound.

Just a killer OST in general, in composition and tone alike. I remember hearing from CIT that it actually doesn't use the 32X hardware at all, being entirely YM2612-based. That would put it right up there with the machine's absolute best if so.

And uh, to keep this on-topic, here's the similarly bangin' Devil Crash MD rendition of Bloodstained Lake from Elemental Master. :mrgreen: (DCMD is another for a "shooting music in non-STGs" thread)

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 372 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13