RAZION - NG:DEV.TEAM shmup coming to NEO GEO Fall 2014

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Herr Schatten

Re: RAZION - NG:DEV.TEAM shmup coming to NEO GEO Fall 2014

Post by Herr Schatten »

Ghegs wrote:Here's a direct-feed video showing roughly the first half of the game on Maniac difficulty: http://youtu.be/EPf3waKjDzU
Thanks for that. Looks like a fun game. (That first midboss is a little disturbing, though, openly wanking in front of the player.)
hien

Post by hien »

Looking at videos I must say that the missiles irritate the hell out of me.

edit: just noticed how stupidly redundant that post probably is. :oops:
rtw

Post by rtw »

If you select NORMAL and start your game with your B or C button instead of A you will use the ships from NOVICE and MANIAC.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

hien wrote:Looking at videos I must say that the missiles irritate the hell out of me.

edit: just noticed how stupidly redundant that post probably is. :oops:
shmups.com Inc.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

hien wrote:Looking at videos I must say that the missiles irritate the hell out of me.
Personnally, it ( missiles ) doesn't bother me when I play.
And i have good vision, even with the red ship on maniac mode, i distinguish every bullets. ( pink bullets etc...)
Plasmo and Ghegs were beta-testers, they're more talented than me on shmups, i don't know if they are agree with me about these details.

About missiles, it can be reduced easily with neo geo shrinking capability.
But as i said, size of missiles doesn't bother me.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

I do agree about the missile visibility, it's not a problem at all when actually playing the game, but for some reason in videos they can be confusing. System11 experienced this effect as well.

Shrinking the missiles would also have an effect on the gameplay (assuming their hitbox is reduced as well), so I doubt there's going to be that drastic a change at this point. But then, I don't know what NG:Dev has planned.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

Yes, i have same feeling.
And we need big missiles in order to destroy all theses big ships. :mrgreen:
the allett

Post by the allett »

So far managed a 1 credit clear on normal mode and getting to stage 6 on maniac
Points to note;
There is an extends bonus at killing the final boss.
There is a secret technical bonus for not using the beam at endbosses. It get signaled by a sound effect.
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
sengoku 2

Post by sengoku 2 »

The allett, you made 67 million at neo xyx, so for razion it would also be a huge score.
Good job. 8)

So, i posted a video about some gameplays info and because of my english, i used your same word about the no beam info against the boss and also 2 others infos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OzgYfD3oJvs
the allett

Post by the allett »

Finished Maniac mode a few days ago, i like this game very much as it has a fun scoring system

Another thing to note there is no TLB in this game
In the words of an alcholic, have another drink!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reclaimer

Post by Reclaimer »

On vacation and Razion is just sitting at the post office back home. Really excited to tear into it next year! Thanks for the impressions guys.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Just picked it up from the post office, and played a quick 15 minutes. There may be some slowdown and a hint of flicker in some spots, but it's still impressive. Prerendered backgrounds and enemies work well here. The self-charging beam weapon is a nice touch, also being used to cancel bullets and freeze gold.

As for ports, NGDT could try releasing them on digital channels (let M2 help with NG emulation, if they go that route) but AFTER the final MVS and AES versions are finished.

Xyx was OK on Dreamcast despite those two minor issues (stick to Tate and you avoid that crash). OTOH Gunlord is about perfect.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
AKAperly

Post by AKAperly »

really enjoying this one so far; haven't had a ton of time with it yet. playing on my 2-slot gold cab, pretty game.

still working my way to 3rd level boss on one credit (with the neo releases being few and far between, I try to treat e'm like slow burners).

a few questions for other players:

- the majority of times, score cubes start to blink before they are about to expire, but on some occasions they vanish almost without warning. why?

- I notice the multiplier does not reset after death; does the multiplier have any correlation to the score cubes, or purely number of enemies killed?

- sometimes your beam charges quickly, and sometimes it takes several seconds. Is it cooled down by enemy kills or cubes?

- how much is the secret boss tech bonus worth (no beam use)?

thanks.

_Perly
support western shmups.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

AKAperly wrote:- I notice the multiplier does not reset after death; does the multiplier have any correlation to the score cubes, or purely number of enemies killed?
The multiplier comes from the collected score cubes. The bigger the cube, the bigger its contribution to the multiplier.
- sometimes your beam charges quickly, and sometimes it takes several seconds. Is it cooled down by enemy kills or cubes?
Collecting cubes recharges the beam faster.
The tech bonus doubles the boss' base value, which varies between difficulties.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
RaidenViper

Post by RaidenViper »

Damn I regret not picking this one up. and reprints will not happen before next year :(

Still no DC port announced?
AKAperly

Post by AKAperly »

Ghegs wrote:
AKAperly wrote:- I notice the multiplier does not reset after death; does the multiplier have any correlation to the score cubes, or purely number of enemies killed?
The multiplier comes from the collected score cubes. The bigger the cube, the bigger its contribution to the multiplier.
The tech bonus doubles the boss' base value, which varies between difficulties.
thanks ghegs.
support western shmups.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

Ghegs wrote:
AKAperly wrote:

Collecting (big) blue cubes, to be exact.

rtw wrote:If you select NORMAL and start your game with your B or C button instead of A you will use the ships from NOVICE and MANIAC.

Are you sure about that ? I did start my game many times with any other buttons, and my ships never changed at all. Novice ship has like 7 missiles while Maniac has only 2. I would have noticed it.
AKAperly

Post by AKAperly »

I can confirm it works, but its just color, not missles. Pick normal difficulty with C and you will start with the red maniac ship instead of the green one.
support western shmups.
-S.L-

Post by -S.L- »

oh so it's only a color design that changes, obviously not the weapons.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Is it even possible to destroy the 2nd midboss of stage 3? It always seems to escape, no matter how much I shoot it. Ghegs even tried on his Youtube vid- same result.
One thing I've figured is that the number of cubes on screen influences how fast they grow.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

gameoverDude wrote:Is it even possible to destroy the 2nd midboss of stage 3? It always seems to escape, no matter how much I shoot it. Ghegs even tried on his Youtube vid- same result.
It is, but it's really difficult. I'm not sure I've ever done it on Maniac difficulty, but I have on the easier ones.

My videos
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Ghegs wrote:
gameoverDude wrote:Is it even possible to destroy the 2nd midboss of stage 3? It always seems to escape, no matter how much I shoot it. Ghegs even tried on his Youtube vid- same result.
It is, but it's really difficult. I'm not sure I've ever done it on Maniac difficulty, but I have on the easier ones.
I guess you probably have to start wailing on it about immediately after it comes down, stay on it, and use BOTH the regular shot and beam. One thing is certain- you don't have much time to take it down.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

Now I got that midboss. I stayed slightly to the right of its center and kept firing, using some beam shots as well. As it was getting ready to leave, I saw the explosion. Looks like the key is indeed to get on that sucker immediately.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
MommysBestGames

Post by MommysBestGames »

Is there any new video of this?
Did they change the missile shape and color?
Not played it, but never seen a shmup with this harsh an 'unreadability effect' before and I think this situation is instructive from a design perspective.

I realize the size change could effect hit-boxes and unbalance things, but I'd very much like to see if color/shape changes help fix the issue of losing your ship in your peripheral vision among the similar-color-shape objects.
In addition to the size/shape/color, I'm guessing the slow, straight, mechanical, movement of the missiles is contributing to the effect as well.
Made a giant arcade-adventure: Pig Eat Ball. Also made shmup with multi-ships: Shoot 1UP DX, Gunstacking game: Serious Sam Double D XXL, and more shooters.
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

One thing about the gold: if you let a piece of gold go off the left side, all onscreen gold will be instantly lost.
Even the green "marked" gold can flash out, although it takes longer than unmarked yellow pieces.

Sometimes if you have used a beam a few times in a boss battle, an alarm goes off and the multiplier will start ticking down Ketsui style but at an even faster rate. Not sure how many uses of the beam triggers this.

The large sized green cubes come in real handy for later stages especially when you're using them to quickly charge the beam. Take some, bust one off, take more, repeat.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
jasoncslaughter

Post by jasoncslaughter »

MommysBestGames wrote:Is there any new video of this?
Did they change the missile shape and color?
Not played it, but never seen a shmup with this harsh an 'unreadability effect' before and I think this situation is instructive from a design perspective.

I realize the size change could effect hit-boxes and unbalance things, but I'd very much like to see if color/shape changes help fix the issue of losing your ship in your peripheral vision among the similar-color-shape objects.
In addition to the size/shape/color, I'm guessing the slow, straight, mechanical, movement of the missiles is contributing to the effect as well.
I know a few people have complained about the missiles, but honestly I've played the game a bit and haven't had any trouble with this "unreadability effect." Anyone else who's played the game have any thoughts?
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

gameoverDude wrote:Sometimes if you have used a beam a few times in a boss battle, an alarm goes off and the multiplier will start ticking down Ketsui style but at an even faster rate. Not sure how many uses of the beam triggers this.
Yep, that's an important point for scoreplay. To get the maximum points out of a boss, you can't use the beam even once.
jasoncslaughter wrote:I know a few people have complained about the missiles, but honestly I've played the game a bit and haven't had any trouble with this "unreadability effect." Anyone else who's played the game have any thoughts?
I never had any problems with it either. For some reason the effect seems to be far worse in videos, but not really there when you're playing the game.

My videos
system11

Post by system11 »

jasoncslaughter wrote:I know a few people have complained about the missiles, but honestly I've played the game a bit and haven't had any trouble with this "unreadability effect." Anyone else who's played the game have any thoughts?
Yes they bother me a bit - too prominent compared to the ship and sometimes I do lose the ship within them leading to a feeling of disconnection with position and movement. I think the fact that they sort of move out from the ship slowly and then accelerate away actually makes this worse than it would be otherwise. They should have changed it and reduced the size of them a lot, or made them primarily a different colour to the player, probably remove the backward movement too.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
zouzzz

Post by zouzzz »

Hi everybody,

I suggest you to give a maximum of RAZION bugs (MVS release). The link will then be given to the German dev team to hope have a 1.2 update.
I have began the list of the problems discovered on the game (some are maybe not really bugs) : BUGS Report RAZION / BUGS Report RAZION.
Of course you can post your feedback here with photos / videos / explanations, I will update the post link.
This message is posted on several forums for the maximum feedback.

Thank you for your participation.
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -
Sier

Post by Sier »

Cheers for the update Zouzzz,

If I could stray a little off topic - just in way of thanks.
It's always a pleasure to visit the DC news site & its forum.

Great, great blog.