RAZION - NG:DEV.TEAM shmup coming to NEO GEO Fall 2014

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Jeneki

Re: RAZION - NG:DEV.TEAM shmup coming to NEO GEO Fall 2014

Post by Jeneki »

NGDev is mid-tier, but that price sounds fine to me. Then again this genre is an easy sell to me, so I don't speak for the mainstream. :lol:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

Terramax wrote:Jesus, is it really worth £18? I just got Espgaluda 2 for £3 cheaper, and that's a top-tier shmup. Perhaps they're wanting to convience more to buy the physical instead? Or, when nobody downloads it, they have an excuse again to complain that nobody bought their game?
The physical sold out in minutes, so it definitely wasn't that. And I don't think anybody goes through all the hoops to put games on storefronts just to have something to complain about. The world provides more than enough of that for free already.

I don't think they're overcharging TBH, I think most shmup publishers are undercharging based on the perception that the genre's dead. Nobody's making enough to live on from shmups, the economics are out of whack.
geremy

Post by geremy »

Also, many people have ESP II on multiple platforms already...not really true with Razion (for most anyway!).

Personally I loved the Gunlord release on switch, so I'm looking forward to this.
Terramax

Post by Terramax »

Sengoku Strider wrote: I don't think they're overcharging TBH, I think most shmup publishers are undercharging based on the perception that the genre's dead. Nobody's making enough to live on from shmups, the economics are out of whack.
I'm not bothered about the publishers. I care if I'm going to get £18 worth of fun out of this product?
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

To me it's a 7/10 game. Nothing special, but more polished and balanced than some of ngdev's past work. The pre-rendered sprite work is less garish too than something like Fast Striker, but that said all the bosses are "big blobby and/or mechanical wall" and many of the patterns are repeated too many times. Worth a play, and worth investing enough time into to get a 1CC on Normal at least.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
Darkseed_5150

Post by Darkseed_5150 »

I'm liking it a lot so far. Simple, tight gameplay. Great pacing lets me blast without too much stress. Glad I missed out on the physical. Would've been my sole physical cartridge for switch.
SPM

Post by SPM »

First impressions weren't the best. The art-style could benefit from a cleaner look and gameplay wasn't anything special (maniac improved over normal, but still)

2 hours later, and the style has grown on me (scanlines on, intensity 0), and playing casually with the beam is so fun. But there's more, scoring is so damn satisfying! (even though I'm not sure about all the details yet).

Give it some more love @Jonpachi
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

I consider 7 a good score! I said it's worth sticking with it for a 1CC on Normal (at the least), which is more investment than I'd give many indie dev shmups.
SPM

Post by SPM »

Does a recorded high-level run exist for this game that you know? I want to check some stuff and see the true potential of scoring. Getting to 1+ billion is really doable, but are 10+ billion possible? I say so because there's a digit for it in the score...
Jonpachi wrote:I consider 7 a good score! I said it's worth sticking with it for a 1CC on Normal (at the least), which is more investment than I'd give many indie dev shmups.
Ok, ok! That "nothing special" sounded more negative to me.

It may end up not being as great as I think though... Trying to "max out" score is quite stressful LOL and a bit repetitive (and that's only after trying to get all 3 extends in the first stage). Playing without that random goal in mind is still super fun though hahaha
"There are three possible endings: the good one, the bad one and death" - Locomalito, Super Hydorah
Redfox

Post by Redfox »

I'm loving the game, THANK YOU TO NGDEV TEAM for releasing it on eshop.

It's amazing that this title started life on Neo Geo................that alone blows me away when I see the graphics and everything else.

Solid title!
SPM

Post by SPM »

Addictive game! What a Razion weekend! I managed a 1 billion 1CC and now it's time to get back to a normal life hahaha I need some sleep. I've been so into it that I've posted my journey on twitter. I have some more clips I want to share (cool parts of the game or discoveries) but that will have to wait.
Elixir

Post by Elixir »

geremy wrote:Also, many people have ESP II on multiple platforms already...not really true with Razion (for most anyway!).
Galuda II was only ever released on one other platform though?

Also, I don't think shmup reviews are really relevant any more. It's like trying to review a rhythm game. Judge for yourself.
I haven't actively browsed/used this forum in many years and it's no longer an accurate representation of me.

I have retired from genre-specific content creation after 13 years, but I'll always love this little genre in my own personal way.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Elixir wrote:Galuda II was only ever released on one other platform though?
There was also the iOS version if that counts.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

SPM wrote:Addictive game! What a Razion weekend! I managed a 1 billion 1CC and now it's time to get back to a normal life hahaha I need some sleep. I've been so into it that I've posted my journey on twitter. I have some more clips I want to share (cool parts of the game or discoveries) but that will have to wait.
I've been watching! I am looking forward to giving this a go myself, having picked it up this morning. I can't skim all of the topic, but is maniac mode just a difficulty, or does it remix the mechanics in any way?
SPM

Post by SPM »

Nice! The main mechanics don't change between modes, but I only played 3 runs outside of maniac. I've noticed however that this one has additional, more interesting patterns and the enemies last longer, leading to overlapping attacks if you don't deal with some of them soon enough. It's the best mode IMO, and the beam attack is quite OP if used strategically so it's really doable. BUT the other two modes are fun as well and not too far away from the "full" experience.

For instance, the first boss's small missiles explode in all directions when you kill them, whereas in novice/normal they don't, making that part a bit dull (once you know the pattern)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Thanks for the clarification. I've gotten to the stage 3 midboss last night, trying to kill it instead of just dodging its attacks. Pretty decent game and pretty decent Pulstar clone. The cube collecting feels pretty enjoyable and not too stress-filled. The game tells me to "find secrets!" but I don't know what type of secrets there are to find!

I feel like I've seen that R-Type-esque item carrier in 5 NGDEV games already. 8)
CIT

Post by CIT »

Got the physical, since that was kind of a no brainer, but only just got around to trying this game out.

Gotta say I was never impressed by the NGDEV games, but Razion has won me over! Probably because it's the first time one of their games brings something unique to the table and doesn't just rip off an existing IP. Audiovisuals are top notch too.

Game is super fun, and I particularly love how scoring high also makes the game easier to play (since your beam charges much faster). 1CC on Normal should be very doable.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Fired this back up this morning and found myself getting sucked back in.

How many score extends are there? I am able to hit the first one at 30,000,000 (I think that's the number) but I wasn't sure if there's a second one to strive for.
SPM

Post by SPM »

3 extends. In maniac every 80M. In normal every(?) 30M.
CIT wrote:Game is super fun, and I particularly love how scoring high also makes the game easier to play (since your beam charges much faster).
True, true! <3
EmperorIng wrote:The game tells me to "find secrets!" but I don't know what type of secrets there are to find!
The secrets/tricks refer to scoring nuances I guess? I'd really love to see a high level run of several billions. If anyone manages to get close to 2 billion please share :D (my sum of PBs was 1.3 and don't know how far one could push it. If only we had online leaderboards...)