RAZION - NG:DEV.TEAM shmup coming to NEO GEO Fall 2014

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
zouzzz

Re: RAZION - NG:DEV.TEAM shmup coming to NEO GEO Fall 2014

Post by zouzzz »

Thanks Sier :D .
- Dev - Hacks - Homebrews - Games - Demos -
zouzzz

Post by zouzzz »

zouzzz wrote:Hi everybody,

I suggest you to give a maximum of RAZION bugs (MVS release). The link will then be given to the German dev team to hope have a 1.2 update.
I have began the list of the problems discovered on the game (some are maybe not really bugs) : BUGS Report RAZION / BUGS Report RAZION.
Of course you can post your feedback here with photos / videos / explanations, I will update the post link.
This message is posted on several forums for the maximum feedback.

Thank you for your participation.
Updated with new video bug.
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

I want a DC port...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
zouzzz

Post by zouzzz »

zouzzz wrote:Hi everybody,

I suggest you to give a maximum of RAZION bugs (MVS release). The link will then be given to the German dev team to hope have a 1.2 update.
I have began the list of the problems discovered on the game (some are maybe not really bugs) : BUGS Report RAZION / BUGS Report RAZION.
Of course you can post your feedback here with photos / videos / explanations, I will update the post link.
This message is posted on several forums for the maximum feedback.

Thank you for your participation.
Updated with new video and photo of new bug 10- Bug couleur et mode de jeu (bug color and mode).
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

The recent updates about Ghost Blade made me remember this game. Never had the chance to play it because it never came out for Dreamcast, but it looks really awesome. Looks like a Blazing Star with much more interesting bullet patterns, better(?) scoring system and multiple modes. And per NG:DevTeam tradition, the soundtrack is just amazing. All the comments about the game in here are even relatively positive, especially for a euroshmup, so why don't people talk about it anymore? Is it just too expensive for people to have played it?

I have almost every other NGDT game on DC, but to be honest they never really spoke to me. Last Hope was meh. Fast Striker was fun, but repetitive. This game though, seems to hit all the notes for me.
So what's the consensus now that it's been out a couple of years? Do people still like it? Or is it forgettable at best?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

I've got it for MVS, and like it. This and Gunlord would have to be my favorites of NGDT's lineup.
I also had wanted to see it hit the PSVita, for the sake of a portable version.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

gameoverDude wrote: This and Gunlord would have to be my favorites of NGDT's lineup.
Just out of curiosity (and if you don't mind me asking): What do you think about Gunlord's horizontal flying level?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

omegaman wrote:
gameoverDude wrote: This and Gunlord would have to be my favorites of NGDT's lineup.
Just out of curiosity (and if you don't mind me asking): What do you think about Gunlord's horizontal flying level?
It's not too bad. The Thunder Force IV tribute boss at the end of it is cool, though maybe a tad easy.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
omegaman

Post by omegaman »

gameoverDude:

Thanks for your reply.
I wasn't able to play it back then, I don't have an MVS (nor DC, for that matter). On youtube play videos it looked a bit easy indeed, but that may be misleading. The Neuschwanstein castle in the background was a nice touch too. If I ever make a horizontal shmup, this castle will be included for sure :)
Samuray

Post by Samuray »

I'm a huge fan of "Razion", actually. It"s the game that got me into NG DEV in the first place.

At first I didn't want to spend those huge sums on indie games because...dunno, didn't feel right or something. Different priorities. But then "Razion" was revealed and I just HAD to preorder it, for AES. In a nice twist of fate I was able to sell some strange train destination signs that had been sitting in my garage forever, which netted me pretty much exactly the needed amount...430€ it was, I believe.
(My wife almost threw them in the trash a couple of times. :D)

Anyway, I was in love with that game, especially the soundtrack, and just HAD to have it. Was able to also find "Last Hope" and "Neo XYX" later on, "Gunlord" will be this year, and "Fast Striker" hopefully in 2018.

So I suppose this answers your question....to me, it's a TREMENDOUS shmup and I love it dearly. The feel....the atmosphere....visuals, music....the enemies....it's fantastic all around. I'm sadly not genre expert so I can't go into much detail about the finesse of gameplay but rest assured, it's very awesome. Again - to me, at least. If you ever get a chance to purchase or at least play it, definitely do so!
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

I have both Fast Striker, Gunlord and Neo Xyx in the Dreamcast incarnations, and used to have Last Hope.

As I mentioned, I'm not really a fan of either, but I do think they are all decent games. Not €400-decent, but decent enough to warrant their Dreamcast ports in any collection. I do appreciate the German approach to Japanese design, avoiding almost every obvious Euroshmup flaw, while still retaining some of the distinctive European charm, whether they want it or not. I think the major issue I would have with either of the games is that they tend to get a little repetitive, especially Fast Striker with its looping backgrounds. Neo Xyx is definitely the best in this regard, but Razion looks like an even bigger improvement in that regard.

So far I still haven't seen anything really negative about that game, which is almost worrying, as I'm sure not everyone loves it :P How many people even had the chance to play it!?
djgilmour

Post by djgilmour »

Sumez wrote:I have both Fast Striker, Gunlord and Neo Xyx in the Dreamcast incarnations, and used to have Last Hope.

As I mentioned, I'm not really a fan of either, but I do think they are all decent games. Not €400-decent, but decent enough to warrant their Dreamcast ports in any collection. I do appreciate the German approach to Japanese design, avoiding almost every obvious Euroshmup flaw, while still retaining some of the distinctive European charm, whether they want it or not. I think the major issue I would have with either of the games is that they tend to get a little repetitive, especially Fast Striker with its looping backgrounds. Neo Xyx is definitely the best in this regard, but Razion looks like an even bigger improvement in that regard.

So far I still haven't seen anything really negative about that game, which is almost worrying, as I'm sure not everyone loves it :P How many people even had the chance to play it!?
Why hasn't this great game been released on Dreamcast?
gameoverDude

Post by gameoverDude »

djgilmour wrote:
Sumez wrote:I have both Fast Striker, Gunlord and Neo Xyx in the Dreamcast incarnations, and used to have Last Hope.

Why hasn't this great game been released on Dreamcast?
Good question. Dreamcast could likely handle it either intact or with minor cuts, being a 1560 Meg game like Fast Striker. I wouldn't mind buying a port on PS Vita or PS4, TBQH. Since I've got the NG cart, I'd probably go for a Vita version before a PS4 one. It shouldn't be hard for NGDT to sell this for $20 on PSN. Only problem is they'd likely have to write their own NG emulator or port the game outright.

The only shortcoming to Razion would be the ending, but I believe they spent the 1560 Megs on what truly counts.
Kinect? KIN NOT.
TransatlanticFoe

Post by TransatlanticFoe »

It hasn't been released because they can no longer reliably convert to Dreamcast. The bugs in the Dreamcast version of Neo XYX were a result of problems with the conversion process and they've discovered it's not something that's viable to fix. All of this is hidden away in Facebook comments, sadly, so people do keep asking them about it!
Lawfer

Post by Lawfer »

Strider77 wrote:I want a DC port...
3 years later...

Sumez wrote:How many people even had the chance to play it!?
Not many! Only a few copies were made (less than 5k, I think) and the game is very rare as a result (so quite expensive on ebay) and it being a NeoGeo game it was expensive from the start (450-500 EUR).
zouzzz

Post by zouzzz »

The next AES reprint is Razion.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Lawfer wrote: Not many! Only a few copies were made (less than 5k, I think) and the game is very rare as a result (so quite expensive on ebay) and it being a NeoGeo game it was expensive from the start (450-500 EUR).
Yeah I knew that. :) I guess my question was really "did anyone here get to play it?"
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Sumez wrote:
Lawfer wrote: Not many! Only a few copies were made (less than 5k, I think) and the game is very rare as a result (so quite expensive on ebay) and it being a NeoGeo game it was expensive from the start (450-500 EUR).
Yeah I knew that. :) I guess my question was really "did anyone here get to play it?"
Obvious since I've been active earlier in the thread, but I did, still have it. I still think it's pretty neat, probably NG:Dev's best shmup depending on how much you liked Neo XYX.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Turns out a Razion revision is now heading to Nintendo Switch:

Razion EX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4952fQLG94
Changes for EX version:

- reworked game play
- rebalanced and reduced difficulty
- added bullet canceling for certain enemies
- reworked controls and ship movements
- upgraded graphics and added 32 bit effects
- upgraded to widescreen
- slightly reworked levels
- reworked scoring mechanics
- unlockable continues
- added training mode for unlocked levels and bosses
- added small ending
Echoing an (older) post above, this looked to be on the better side of NGDEV's shooters, but I know they can have a mixed reaction here. Looks decent in any event! Always wanted to try this one vs. say, Last Hope or DUX.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

EmperorIng wrote:Turns out a Razion revision is now heading to Nintendo Switch:

Razion EX
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C4952fQLG94

Echoing an (older) post above, this looked to be on the better side of NGDEV's shooters, but I know they can have a mixed reaction here. Looks decent in any event! Always wanted to try this one vs. say, Last Hope or DUX.
Kinda good news, except I refuse to play shmups on Switch from now on, but it's likely this will also come out on PC and PS4, as most of their other releases have. Waiting for that news!
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:but it's likely this will also come out on PC and PS4, as most of their other releases have.
NGDEV releases on PC? Have I missed something?
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

schleichfahrt wrote:
MachineAres 1CC wrote:but it's likely this will also come out on PC and PS4, as most of their other releases have.
NGDEV releases on PC? Have I missed something?
I meant PS4, was thinking of the "offshoot" studio of NGDevTeam when I said PC, Grybanser Fox, they have a half dozen games out on Steam
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Fri May 07, 2021 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
Marc

Post by Marc »

For a moment, I read tis as 'Rezon', and was really confused as to why it's be getting a Switch port. Then again, we're getting Andro Dunos 2 so I guess anything's possible....

This looks neat, though I'm a bit split on the NGD games I've played. I think Fast Strikers is ass, and Dux doesn't seem to have the best reputation. Gunlord is great though, so they can code a decent title.... depends purely on the price point this one.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Marc wrote:For a moment, I read tis as 'Rezon', and was really confused as to why it's be getting a Switch port. Then again, we're getting Andro Dunos 2 so I guess anything's possible....
I'd be all for a Rezon port or remake or sequel.

But this is pretty neat as well, I think it's NG:Dev's best shmup (or tied with Neo XYX, really depends whether you prefer horis or verts) and it's good that more people will get get a chance to play it.
Marc wrote:Dux doesn't seem to have the best reputation.
Dux isn't by NG:Dev, but by one of the guys who's also a part of NG:Dev. If memory serves he was more in charge of art in NG:Dev games, but for Dux he did design and programming.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Lots of rotation and puppetry, not a lot of proper animation. Meh.
ShewtUmOp

Post by ShewtUmOp »

First batch of physical orders sold out within 4 minutes. Wow. The limited edition sold out within 2.
schleichfahrt

Post by schleichfahrt »

ShewtUmOp wrote:First batch of physical orders sold out within 4 minutes. Wow. The limited edition sold out within 2.
One may or may not like these guys, but they certainly know how to navigate their market.
When you ruin some enemy, add to score points.
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

schleichfahrt wrote:
ShewtUmOp wrote:First batch of physical orders sold out within 4 minutes. Wow. The limited edition sold out within 2.
One may or may not like these guys, but they certainly know how to navigate their market.

I've been buying NG Dev games for years and missed out - I logged in at quarter past- way after they'd all sold out.

Can't say it makes great business practice to underestimate the demand for your game.

I can see the point of limiting the numbers of a limited edition release- fair enough.

Limiting the numbers of a regular edition? Doesn't really make good business sense.
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Oh, I'm honestly surprised it went that fast. I was there refreshing the page and managed to snag the LE.
NAVVARR wrote:Can't say it makes great business practice to underestimate the demand for your game.

I can see the point of limiting the numbers of a limited edition release- fair enough.

Limiting the numbers of a regular edition? Doesn't really make good business sense.
Unlike Limited Run, Strictly Limited and the others, NGDev apparently has all the copies of Razion EX already on hand and ready to ship, meaning they've already all been manufactured and delivered to them from the factories, and they chose these numbers to print them for whatever reason we're not privy to. Limited Run orders their games to be manufactured only after they know how many they've sold (at least since they started using the four-week pre-order period thing) which is why it takes much longer to get your order with them.

NGDev is publishing the game themselves, they're selling it themselves and they pretty literally are just two guys in Germany doing this, so they not only have to store all the physical products themselves, but they also have to handle all the packing and shipping themselves. Storing ~3000 games in your garage, packing them and shipping them out isn't exactly fun. If they wanted to not limit the numbers of the regular edition, they'd have to massively change their business strategy and get a publishing deal with somebody else. And the way they're doing it seems to work well for them, since they've used since they started.

There's still the second batch going for sale on June 5th, so hopefully you can grab one then.

My videos
NAVVARR

Post by NAVVARR »

Guess I'm just sore at not getting a copy- will be on the ball next time! :lol:
hoots mon- crivvens, help ma boab