TRP-STGT 2014 Conversation Week 1: Raiden Fighters

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Despatche

Re: TRP-STGT 2014 Conversation Week 1: Raiden Fighters

Post by Despatche »

rdft and rdftj are both japan, rdftj is set 2. this has been the case for a long time now.

i would think we should be using set 1.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Oops! Good catch Despatche, thank you for covering my ignorance. Yes, please use rdft. Don't bother removing your old scores if you used rdftj, I don't think there's a big change. I will comment this on the submit thread.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
hanasu

Post by hanasu »

One of the few games I actually have, but pretty sure it's US version. :oops:
Ed Oscuro

Post by Ed Oscuro »

CStarFlare wrote:By the end of this I won't need to restart stage 1 ever again.

I swear it.
I actually got pretty good at it after a while.

As far as I could tell, the massive differences were from going between the Japanese and US releases. US version gives you a lot more time to trigger stuff than the Japanese version, AFAIR.
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

mastermx wrote:
shmuppyLove wrote:Hmm yeah are we playing "rdft" or "rdftj" ?
Depends what the "J" stands for. If it's RDFT (J as in japanese version), then yes, if it is RDFTJ (J as in Jet), then no. Just wanna put that out there for anyone that was as confused as I was in the beginning.
trap15 wrote:Nope.
Thanks, for a first time STGTer you can never be too sure on the rules.
The Raiden Fighters Jet rom should be called rfjet or rfjetj, so there should be no confusion between it and the rdft or rdftj rom.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

How do I unlock Raiden and Viper ships on mame?

derpa derp.

Edit: got it dw.

"Raiden mk-II: Highlight the Endeavor, then press and hold RIGHT on the joystick. This will select the "?" While still holding RIGHT on the joystick, press the Start button.

Judge Spear: Highlight the Chaser, then press and hold DOWN on the joystick. While still holding DOWN on the joystick, press the Start button."
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Despatche

Post by Despatche »

press f2 to go into the test menu, go to GAME SETTINGS, set RAIDEN & VIPER to ON, and just exit out.

eh, you don't have to use those codes. with the above they just pop up on the ship select.
Rage Pro, Rage Fury, Rage MAXX!
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

For X medals, does every medal tier have to be at x8 or x9 value?
dunpeal2064

Post by dunpeal2064 »

max medals in each tier iirc
DocHauser

Post by DocHauser »

I don't want to clutter up the score thread with chat, so, uh...what game is macaw playing? :?
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

can't figure out how to get the slave ship select input to work in mame
Volteccer_Jack

Post by Volteccer_Jack »

Chaos wrote:can't figure out how to get the slave ship select input to work in mame
Easiest way is to map Start, Shoot and Bomb all to one key.
"Don't worry about quality. I've got quantity!"
Chaos

Post by Chaos »

thanks
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

So I got to try this out a bit last night and did research because before today I understood fuck all of nothing about RF. Taking a look at a few videos, I decided to abandon even going for some insane stuff like getting to max medal value before the 1st boss. It ain't happening within a week. Trying to take everything in makes me feel like my head is going to explode and this is probably the most insanely difficult stage 1 I've ever seen, you can't ignore it at all and can't half ass it as it sets up for the rest of the game.

Also, Beast Arrow '_'
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

lrn2play
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Plasmo wrote:lrn2play
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Icarus wrote:
KAI

Post by KAI »

lrn2play a different gaem.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Cee wrote:
Icarus wrote:
also

ply2lrn :roll:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I <3 this gaem

I actually like this one the best of all of them for some reason, I guess because I have shitty taste. Glad I have an excuse to actually learn it now, though I'll be quite busy this week so I'm not sure how much progress I can make.

Judge Spear is stupid fun, not sure if I'm going to use a slave ship or not yet, because I wanted to learn this game the "right" way.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
sikraiken

Post by sikraiken »

Cee wrote:
Icarus wrote:
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

ACSeraph wrote:I <3 this gaem

I actually like this one the best of all of them for some reason, I guess because I have shitty taste. Glad I have an excuse to actually learn it now, though I'll be quite busy this week so I'm not sure how much progress I can make.

Judge Spear is stupid fun, not sure if I'm going to use a slave ship or not yet, because I wanted to learn this game the "right" way.
Same here, I always preferred RF1 to the later games for some reason, not that I've ever been particularly good at them, but still :D
Sakurei

Post by Sakurei »

I don't know why people think it's a good idea to present a game a lot of people have never played and put it in a scoring tournament when the scoring entirely is based off of obscure shit that you have to find, but the game gives you no indication whatsoever that these things even exist. That makes the game incredibly unfun to learn, not to mention that we only have a week to do it. It may not be an awful game in itself, but it is an awful game for this format of tournament.
cham0mile

Post by cham0mile »

Chaos Phoenixma wrote:Both versions of RFA are based on the Japanese version, so you're fine with it. Just make sure the difficulty is set to Arcade and not one of the others.
And if we had to "provide" a replay I guess webcam record?
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

So, here's a MAME noob question: How do I set up one button to shoot with autofire and one to shoot without? A button with autofire can't be held down to deploy the ship's special weapons in this game (because holding down autofire just makes it fire over and over, obviously). So ideally I'd have a button for rapid shot to use most of the time and a button I can hold down for special fire when I need it.

Do all the ships have a special weapon mode, or is it just the default 5?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sakurei wrote:I don't know why people think it's a good idea to present a game a lot of people have never played and put it in a scoring tournament when the scoring entirely is based off of obscure shit that you have to find, but the game gives you no indication whatsoever that these things even exist. That makes the game incredibly unfun to learn, not to mention that we only have a week to do it. It may not be an awful game in itself, but it is an awful game for this format of tournament.
If you have never played RF before you are a bad person, and you should be glad that trap15 has decided to enlighten you.

I learned to build a max chain by early stage 2 in this game within 1 day of play. Try harder.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Blackbird wrote:So, here's a MAME noob question: How do I set up one button to shoot with autofire and one to shoot without? A button with autofire can't be held down to deploy the ship's special weapons in this game (because holding down autofire just makes it fire over and over, obviously). So ideally I'd have a button for rapid shot to use most of the time and a button I can hold down for special fire when I need it.

Do all the ships have a special weapon mode, or is it just the default 5?
On MAME I assume?

Lets say for example you are using a playstation controller with MAME, you set button 1 to "O" with auto turned off. Then you set custom button 1 to "X". Go to the tab menue -> custom buttons, and highlighting custom 1 hit the "1" key. This will set button 1 to custom 1. Then just turn custom button autofire on. So you have aut-off as "O" and auto-on as custom "X"
Sakurei

Post by Sakurei »

ACSeraph wrote:
Sakurei wrote:I don't know why people think it's a good idea to present a game a lot of people have never played and put it in a scoring tournament when the scoring entirely is based off of obscure shit that you have to find, but the game gives you no indication whatsoever that these things even exist. That makes the game incredibly unfun to learn, not to mention that we only have a week to do it. It may not be an awful game in itself, but it is an awful game for this format of tournament.
If you have never played RF before you are a bad person, and you should be glad that trap15 has decided to enlighten you.

I learned to build a max chain by early stage 2 in this game within 1 day of play. Try harder.
Unfortunately due to the format I'm forced to learn the game in, it makes me dislike it very easily. It was no different when I played dimahoo in that one tournament, regardless of whether this is supposed to be "enlightening" or not. Raiden Fighters goes into the corner with the other games I consider awful.

Congratulations. Now what? You having maxed our your chain on your first day of playing is of no relevance to me whatsoever. It says nothing about your or my own capabilities. Maybe I'm awful and it would take me a month to do so? I do not believe to have let out any information as to how much I have already played the game, what makes you think I am not already trying hard? What makes you believe I haven't already spent hours on trying to learn the early stages? With as little information as you have "try harder" is a terrible way to try to encourage someone. Not to mention that I do not feel very inclined to put in much more effort into a game I have already decided to never play again after this week, possibly even before it is over. I've told my teammates before the tournament that I have other things I'd like to do rather than participate in this tournament, but they insisted and I agreed that I'd play if I could stand the game. Seeing how this turned out after day 1, I am sure you can imagine the amount of time I am willing to put into this game.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sakurei wrote:Congratulations. Now what? You having maxed our your chain on your first day of playing is of no relevance to me whatsoever. It says nothing about your or my own capabilities. Maybe I'm awful and it would take me a month to do so?
->
Sakurei wrote:That makes the game incredibly unfun to learn, not to mention that we only have a week to do it.
Anyhow, technically a tournament is intended to find the best players, and in this case that would mean the players who can learn this game's quirks the fastest. Maybe you can't keep up. But that is no reason to complain about the game being chosen for this tournament.

I'm no pro at RF though, in fact I kind of suck at it. So I've got to say, seriously, just try harder. I don't believe for a second it would take you a month to learn basic chaining in this.

Raiden Fighters Emporium is your friend.
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Yeah tbh I don't think there's necessarily a game that's "better" for this format than another, it's as acseraph said, everyone has the same time to figure the game out, the question is, can you do it better/faster than others in the allotted time? Of course you're gonna have people already familiar with the game, but that's really kinda unavoidable.