R-Type Dimensions PS3 release dates for NA / EU

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
HydrogLox

Re: R-Type Dimensions PS3 release dates for NA / EU

Post by HydrogLox »

I suspect that the statement was with reference to the PS3 version that was released 2013-Nov-21 on the Japanese PSN - not the original XBLA version.
http://www.siliconera.com/2013/11/13/r- ... next-week/
Other features like slow motion
PS3 Control Settings from http://blog.us.playstation.com/2014/05/ ... day-on-ps3

Also the XBLA version has one fixed control scheme (without a slow-motion control; the left trigger is used for "shot/missile" (i.e. chargeable/non-rapid)) - no 'key config' like the PS3 version.
Pretas wrote:slo-mo button with no option to disable it?
You can effectively disable it by not mapping "slow motion" to any button (e.g. map "shot/missile" to L2). There will be a warning that some functions haven't been mapped but it will let you do it. However you can't force anybody else to do the same and I doubt there is any indication in the score that "slow motion" was used.
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Elaphe wrote:Does the PS3 also suffers from hiccups in the scroll as the XBOX 360 does? This one feels like playing the emulated version without syncrefresh.

Can anyone answer this question, as also wish to know if the scrolling has been fixed in the ps3 version
slk486

Post by slk486 »

I just like that they've finally enabled button remapping. Main reason that I didn't like the XBLA version. Playing with a stick was just too cumbersome.
tikipod

Post by tikipod »

Enemy wrote:
Elaphe wrote:Does the PS3 also suffers from hiccups in the scroll as the XBOX 360 does? This one feels like playing the emulated version without syncrefresh.

Can anyone answer this question, as also wish to know if the scrolling has been fixed in the ps3 version
I have the PS3 version and noticed the scrolling to be a bit unstable. I have not played the 360 version, but I noticed a few issues with the PSN version (been playing original art version):

1. scrolling/game speed does not feel stable. Hard to put my finger on it but something feels off.
2. In R-Type2 level2, the walkers fire small electrical looking bullets. In the PSN version these go right through your pod - but in the arcade and RTYPES (PS1) they expired if hit your pod.
3. In R-Type2 level3, get to where the background goes black, but not as far as the halfway checkpoint. Now die and start at the beginning of the level - the background art is stuffed up - it begins black and the regular background slowly scrolls on.
4. In R-Type1 level 2, when sat above the boss - snake bullets seemed to expire on some invisible collision sometimes.

I asked Tozai if they will patch these issues, no reply as yet... :(

Bit shoddy really, as RTYPES on PS1 feels like a better version (the 3d in Dimensions is very patchy, some nice backgrounds but overall pretty low poly and chubby looking with awful explosions - Gradius V by comparison is a far better example of how to update a classic into 3d).

The slowdown button is an interesting feature, but surely its makes leaderboards meaningless as you can just hold it down permanently?

EDIT - tozai said they will look into the bullet bug. Is quite a biggie really as makes the end section of that level far harder with no pod protection :/
Enemy

Post by Enemy »

Thanks for confirming, sounds like it stutters like the 360 version. Unbelievable! Wtf is wrong with these programmers
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

tikipod wrote:EDIT - tozai said they will look into the bullet bug. Is quite a biggie really as makes the end section of that level far harder with no pod protection :/
Seriously? This bug is in the 360 version too.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
slk486

R-Type Dimensions PS3 release dates for NA / EU

Post by slk486 »

I guess no one, who really knows R-Type, played the 360 version. I passed because reasons.
tikipod

Post by tikipod »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
tikipod wrote:EDIT - tozai said they will look into the bullet bug. Is quite a biggie really as makes the end section of that level far harder with no pod protection :/
Seriously? This bug is in the 360 version too.
ah thats annoying to hear - I tried the demo on 360, but it only had level 1 to play.
Guess its unlikely they will ever fix it then :/

I would really like companies just to do a complete history version - all versions of R-Type ever made, and with the arcade versions include all regions and all setting just like mame.
But in the meantime I can stick to emulators and original hardware
bcass

Post by bcass »

ZaKa-tokyobassist wrote:Damn after I got a Japanese PSN card and bought this earlier this year. I had a hunch it would come over considering all the menus and trophies are in English anyway lol. I'll probably double dip so I don't have to keep hopping back and forth between accounts to access all my games (that and I want to support the PSN shmup releases considering they are flowing in and they aren't garbage ones like Soldner X-2 either).
You don't need to change between accounts. Any account on the console can play any game downloaded on that console.

I'd probably buy this again if they'd added uploadable/downloadable replays on the leaderboards. Big oversight IMO.
Monstermug

Post by Monstermug »

I've got the original pcb but decided to try this out. Maybe it might be my setup but the input lag is terrible. First time I ever complained about input lag too. What a waste of £7.99. Could of got burger and chips instead.
tikipod

Post by tikipod »

Addtional bugs spotted:

> the orbs you can collect above and below the ship - these do not stop basic enemy bullets. Dunno how they missed this, its pretty important :/
> audio sfx looping on the retry/continue screen
> can confirm scrolling is not smooth in 2d mode, it fluctuates every second or so

heres hoping they fix the critical stuff like scrolling and collision
bcass

Post by bcass »

Oh dear. Pretty depressing that fundamental stuff like that got overlooked in favour of gimmicky extras.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

tikipod wrote:> the orbs you can collect above and below the ship - these do not stop basic enemy bullets. Dunno how they missed this, its pretty important :/
Bits never stopped shots in the arcade. They did on C64.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
tikipod wrote:> the orbs you can collect above and below the ship - these do not stop basic enemy bullets. Dunno how they missed this, its pretty important :/
yeah, I also found the affirmation weird
I remember bits were just capable of inflicting damage that's all
tikipod

Post by tikipod »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
Thanks for the correction (just tried my arcade board again) - you are right, I had misremembered how they worked.
I think the speccy version (first I played outside arcades) stopped bullets too, which got me thinking it did for all versions thereafter.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Was browsing the PSN store after not having the PS3 on for quite some time (cause I was playing Demon Souls), and I was shocked to see R-Type Dimensions on there. I knew I had to buy it just for the sake of seeing if it had the music remixed this time? Seeing the trailer first seemed to hint at this, and finally giving the game a quick go, says this to be true. Finally some remixed tunes to go with the remixed graphics.

Also read this entire topic again, and seen I made a post here, but totally ended up forgetting this game was coming to the PS3 anyways. But the rest of this topic sadly confirms to some weird issues and bugs like to stuttering scrolling and some emulations errors making it not match the Arcade original. That really sucks. Well, the smooth scroll can at least be eliminated while playing it in 3D, and I mostly will be playing this one in 3D anyways, otherwise most likely will always via MAME or PS1 version on my PSP.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Via the Shmups Twitter, this is now headed to Steam and Switch.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Somewhat tempting to pick his up on Switch since I love the R-Type games but the hit boxes are all sorts of messed up on 360/PS3, which messes up the safe spots and routes.

And considering that this is R-Type, a game about safe spots and routes, it really needs to be perfect in that regard.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

Very happy about this, I'll be almost certain to pick it up on Switch.

Hopefully we'll see a physical release too, just because I'm a sucker for anything R-Type. I almost bought the Super R-Type / R-Type 3 re-release on SNES even though I don't even have the console...
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
FRO

Post by FRO »

Ghegs wrote:Very happy about this, I'll be almost certain to pick it up on Switch.

Hopefully we'll see a physical release too, just because I'm a sucker for anything R-Type. I almost bought the Super R-Type / R-Type 3 re-release on SNES even though I don't even have the console...
I bought the Super R-Type/R-Type 3 re-release, and finally got a ship notification via email this morning, so anyone waiting on that should hopefully be seeing that soon. As for R-Type Dimensions coming to Switch, that's fantastic news, and I'm happy to see that's coming. I expect it will probably be a straight-up port with no additional frills, but it was already a strong package, so that works. And yes, a physical release would be amazing, but I don't see that happening, unless LRG does something. The fact that they've talked about releasing some PS3 stuff, and now this is coming to Switch, might lend credence to the idea of a physical release through LRG, because they could do that simultaneously, but either way, it's awesome that this is happening, and I hope it does well enough to encourage further ports.
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

Really not sure why this is getting re-released 10 years after it's original release, I wish companies would get some new ideas instead of boring ass ports that are remasters of remasters. Why don't they just remaster some of the other R-Type games instead of rehashing a remaster 10 years later? Sigh.

I guess the quick money from hungry Nintendo fans is too tempting instead of actually doing new work.
JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
reckon luck

Post by reckon luck »

Already have this on Xbox, I feel no need to buy this again. I do hope it does well though, we could get some Delta/Final remasters out of this.
FRO

Post by FRO »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:Really not sure why this is getting re-released 10 years after it's original release, I wish companies would get some new ideas instead of boring ass ports that are remasters of remasters. Why don't they just remaster some of the other R-Type games instead of rehashing a remaster 10 years later? Sigh.

I guess the quick money from hungry Nintendo fans is too tempting instead of actually doing new work.
This could also be a "testing the waters" situation, so that maybe we'll see something more down the line, if this does well.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Does that sort of thing ever go particularly well, though? Off the top of my head I seem to recall Capcom rereleasing the older Darkstalkers games to "gauge demand" for a new entry; of course, most of the folks who would buy a new one already had the old ones, and only so many were willing to buy something they already had on the off-chance something new (let alone good) might come out of it, so it sold poorly and sequel plans were shelved. Of course, in that case Capcom openly stated their intentions, while here we're just speculating, but even if this is indeed the case, I question the logic of "pay for the same thing again and we might eventually give you something new", especially in an era where even Kickstarter-style "direct" fundraising for something new is met with instant skepticism.
MachineAres 1CC

FRO wrote:This could also be a "testing the waters" situation, so that maybe we'll see something more down the line, if this does well.
I imagine the original PS3 and 360 releases did as well as they're probably ever going to do and I can't really see these new ones doing that much better, especially enough to warrant some kind of new work afterward based on sales of this re-release of a remaster. They're still extremely niche games and at this point, anyone acting like a Switch release is going to magically sell millions of copies is as delusional as it gets. Especially now, with Nintendo opening the floodgates to any kind of shovelware garbage that developers want to get onto their platform, most of these niche releases are going to be buried under countless other games and never get seen by the general public gamer.
Does that sort of thing ever go particularly well, though? Off the top of my head I seem to recall Capcom rereleasing the older Darkstalkers games to "gauge demand" for a new entry; of course, most of the folks who would buy a new one already had the old ones, and only so many were willing to buy something they already had on the off-chance something new (let alone good) might come out of it, so it sold poorly and sequel plans were shelved. Of course, in that case Capcom openly stated their intentions, while here we're just speculating, but even if this is indeed the case, I question the logic of "pay for the same thing again and we might eventually give you something new", especially in an era where even Kickstarter-style "direct" fundraising for something new is met with instant skepticism.
This is another point I was going to make as well. Very well-said and I feel this logic of "maybe we'll get something new if we buy this" just breaks down almost instantly upon scrutiny in today's world.
Last edited by MachineAres 1CC on Mon Sep 10, 2018 3:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Kobayashi

Post by Kobayashi »

Love how you can change anytime from the classic 2D version to the remake version made exclusively for this game at the touch of a button, including the beautiful remixed soundtrack.
Marc

Post by Marc »

I don't remember a remixed soundtrack...?
Weird, Will have do fire up the 360 later.
XBL & Switch: mjparker77 / PSN: BellyFullOfHell
FRO

Post by FRO »

MachineAres 1CC wrote:
FRO wrote:This could also be a "testing the waters" situation, so that maybe we'll see something more down the line, if this does well.
I imagine the original PS3 and 360 releases did as well as they're probably doing to do and I can't really see these new ones doing that much better, especially enough to warrant some kind of new work afterward based on sales of this re-release of a remaster. They're still extremely niche games and at this point, anyone acting like a Switch release is going to magically sell millions of copies is as delusional as it gets. Especially now, with Nintendo opening the floodgates to any kind of shovelware garbage that developers want to get onto their platform, most of these niche releases are going to be buried under countless other games and never get seen by the general public gamer.
This is another point I was going to make as well. Very well-said and I feel this logic of "maybe we'll get something new if we buy this" just breaks down almost instantly upon scrutiny in today's world.
Your words, not mine. I didn't specify in my post, so yes, speculation abounds. My thoughts were more along the lines of, maybe we'll see an arcade port of, say, Leo? Or a compilation down the line? With the Super R-Type/R-Type III cart coming (licensed), and this re-release of Dimensions, R-Type is at least present. I don't expect Irem to develop a new game, or even hire out another dev to do so. But I could see an "Arcade Archives" release of Leo being at least a possibility, given how many of those releases we've seen across modern platforms. That's as far as I'm thinking. As much as I would love a new R-Type game, the realist in me would tend to doubt that could happen.
plasticxo

Post by plasticxo »

FRO wrote: With the Super R-Type/R-Type III cart coming (licensed), and this re-release of Dimensions, R-Type is at least present. I don't expect Irem to develop a new game, or even hire out another dev to do so.
Are you talking about the retro-bit compilation ?
I'm tempted, but it's not clear if it plays on a Japanese Super Famicom, and without any type of adaptator.
The cartridge shape is a bit strange... Looks like a US cartridge to me.

Edit : there seems to be 2 versions. One for the US market and one for the EU market. The shape of the cartridge is different.
But it is still not clear if the EU version will play on a Super Famicom...
MachineAres 1CC

plasticxo wrote:Edit : there seems to be 2 versions. One for the US market and one for the EU market. The shape of the cartridge is different.
But it is still not clear if the EU version will play on a Super Famicom...
As far as I know, EU and JP have the exact same cartridge shape, and the cartridge shape is the only thing that prevents you from using the US carts in EU/JP systems and vice versa, there's no actual coded region locking in the ROMs of the games. The only issue you might have is that if you're using an original European SNES to play it, they are coded for PAL video output, so the US and JP versions likely won't run correctly on a CRT TV since they're coded for NTSC. If you're using a Retron or other clone system that has HDMI output, you shouldn't have this issue, since it converts the video signal anyway