The shmups sales/deals thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sima Tuna

Re: The shmups sales/deals thread

Post by Sima Tuna »

A bunch of stuff is on sale on switch right now.

Shock Troopers ACA is on sale. I grabbed it up and it's great fun.

A few shmups are on sale from hamster. Omega Fighter, I believe, and a couple others. Forgot to say that the ACA stuff on sale is half off, so $4 per.

Darius Cozmic Console and Arcade are on sale. I think each is around $25-30 digitally.

Cotton Reboot is on sale. Around $24 IIRC.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Omega Fighter is great great great. Anyone into Alfa's Shikigami no Shiro / Sisters Royale games should grab it, the Tension system came straight from UPL and it's a killer game in its own right. Uncommonly generous firepower for its time, as was UPL's wont for outsized blasting across all genres. Bundles the regular and Special revisions (plus an oddball dev PCB that's nice to have around).

Shock Troopers, nuff said. :cool: Masterpiece topdown shooter/slasher. Legit one of the best cooperative experiences in its entire subgenre, too... levelling stages back-to-back in a six-commando juggernaut raid impels some bloodening teamwork.
harborline765 wrote:How was the Famicom Zanac port in Zanac x Zanac? Fwiw you can still pick up that title via the PS3's store, and it runs perfectly on PSP. Constantly drops frames on Vita though, I think Vita emulates PS1 games by emulating the PSP.
AFAIK, Zanac X Zanac's FDS, NES and Special versions of the first game run flawlessly, at least on a stock PS1. I never noticed anything amiss, or heard complaints from Compile devotees. Our local MSX godfather Shatterhand gave the set his blessing, always enough for me (though he naturally had to object to the lack of MSX Zanac Image).
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I finally got Zanac X Zanac for JPS1 (not cheap) recently and I agree the games run well. Lots of tweaking options for some of the versions of classic Zanac IIRC.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

On the US E-Shop

Star Hunter $4.99
Missile Dancer $7.99
Cotton Reboot $27.99
Darius Burst $27.99
Space Moth $5.59
Sisters Royale $3.49
Shmup Collection $4.49
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

I totally missed that Sisters Royale was also on sale. $3.50. Grabbed dat shit too. Castle Shikigami II is my favorite shmup and pretty much the sole game responsible for me liking shmups as a genre.

I got space moth a few days ago but I'm not really feeling it. I don't like the soul draining mechanic and the game feels a lot more punishing than vanilla mushihimesama.

I think one of the ACA shmups on sale is called Terra Force? And the other is Terra Cresta? I don't know. They both are games I never heard of.

As for the ps1 version of Zanac/Zanac Neo/Zanac X Zanac, that's one of those games I've been meaning to buy for ages and haven't yet. I'll make sure to grab it before the PSN goes down though.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Terra Cresta is really cool, imo. It's basically to Xevious what the earlier Moon Cresta was to Galaga - simpler, faster-paced and more generous with firepower and mobility. Great tunes as well - the ACA release includes both the JP and International PCB revisions, the latter with FM synth and a really addictive little loop (this is probably its decisive edge on Xevious, haha).

Terra Force I've never really gotten into. I like its grainy, detailed yet cartoony spacewar aesthetic, and the obscenely fat bombs, but it seems to lack concision. Went quite a while with no apparent progress in sight. Armed Formation F has a similar effect, solid games but nothing I go nuts for. Nichibutsu have a lot of those.
professor ganson

Post by professor ganson »

Terra Cresta is an all-time favorite. Sisters Royale for 3.49 is nuts.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hey, good to see you bud :smile:
professor ganson

Yes, sorry for my terrible attendance! I’m back again to drink from your bottomless fountain of shmup knowledge.
Creamy Goodness

Post by Creamy Goodness »

R-Type Dimensions Ex is $7.49 on the US eShop.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

professor ganson wrote:Terra Cresta is an all-time favorite. Sisters Royale for 3.49 is nuts.
Sounds like terra cresta and omega fighter will be my next purchases then. My wallet is gonna hate me bro.
Creamy Goodness wrote:R-Type Dimensions Ex is $7.49 on the US eShop.
FYI, don't feel like you have to bite on that price. This collection goes on sale fairly regularly for half off. Unlike the ACA stuff, which I almost never see go on sale (and then only in tiny batches, as we're seeing now,) R-Type and Gradius go on sale regularly.
professor ganson

Hamster’s physical release of Terra Cresta on the PS2 is so nice, with its option for rotating the screen. If you like 80s shmups, Terra Cresta is a must play. If you’re not so excited by old-school shmups, then it’s not a priority.
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

BIL wrote:Omega Fighter is great great great. Anyone into Alfa's Shikigami no Shiro / Sisters Royale games should grab it, the Tension system came straight from UPL and it's a killer game in its own right. Uncommonly generous firepower for its time, as was UPL's wont for outsized blasting across all genres. Bundles the regular and Special revisions (plus an oddball dev PCB that's nice to have around).
Chalk another one up for BIL. I had seen a dude play this game for one of the shmup slams, but it didn't look all that great. But hey, it's on sale, and people here recommended it. Why not?

Damn. 1989. 1989 and they were already pioneering concepts for bullet hell and contemporary shmups. Your firepower covers about half the screen, you respawn instantly (no checkpoint hell! Yay!) and enemy bullets are clearly visible. Recovery is not an issue, at least not in the early levels I was playing.

I'm going to actually have to play this one. Like, seriously play it. Maybe even try to not be shit at it. I was a little worried at first because I couldn't find any way to continue (so a 1cc would be the only way to see the entire game), but the special game modes included in ACA add continuing from the start of last stage. So no worries.

Omega Fighter is legit. I don't know what to say. Not a kusoge, not a "so bad it's good," not "jank but fun." Genuinely a great game. If this gameplay released with modern visuals today, people would still praise it.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Crisis Wing is -25% off during the Steam Winter Sale!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/1402090
velo

Post by velo »

Sima Tuna wrote: FYI, don't feel like you have to bite on that price. This collection goes on sale fairly regularly for half off. Unlike the ACA stuff, which I almost never see go on sale (and then only in tiny batches, as we're seeing now,) R-Type and Gradius go on sale regularly.
Nichibutsu and UPL games go on sale a little more often than most ACAs (you can see the price history on dekudeals.com). The wiki (viewtopic.php?f=1&t=56114) ranks Omega Fighter just under Gradius 3, so g/l with your 1cc.
pieslice wrote:Crisis Wing is -25% off during the Steam Winter Sale!

Switch too.

Also noticed Neko Navy, all the Darius games, Aero Fighter/Sonic Wings 3... forgetting the name of one I wanted to mention, some indie scifi hori*, yeah that narrows it down I know. I took a dive on the Space Invaders-like Doughlings Invasion. I liked Mayhem Brawler by the same team.

*EDIT: Super Hydorah. Haven't played but thought it was particularly well-liked.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

In the "better late than never" dept:

Every Llamasoft title on Steam (except Tempest 4k) for $7.33 (less if you already own one or more of the titles)

It's a really good deal (82% off!), so I figured I'd share while it was still valid.

(edit: I misread the ending date)
therealjondoe

Post by therealjondoe »

Playstation store has the following on sale

Soldner-x2 $4.99
G Darius HD $20.99
R-Type Final 2 $27.99. DLC is also on sale
Crisis Wing $5.59
Gynoug $4.89
Panorama Cotton $9.89
Caladrius Blaze $2.99
Cotton 100% $9.89
Gleylancer $4.89
prophetic

Post by prophetic »

therealjondoe wrote:DLC is also on sale
I know the markets are different, but I was really hoping the JP PSN store had the volume 2 season pass on sale.
BloodHawk

Post by BloodHawk »

Huge sale for ININ published games on the US eShop (Darius, Cotton, Space Invaders, Turrican, etc.)

https://www.dekudeals.com/games?filter[ ... ININ+Games

Vast majority are priced at new all-time lows.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

That is killer.

Darius Burst EX+ is $20
Ninja Saviors is $10
G-Darius is $18
mojilove

Post by mojilove »

Radirgy Swag and Illvelo Swamp are both 35% off in the JP switch eshop for RS34's "34 day"
Swag is 1300 yen https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/soft ... 09863.html
Swamp is 1937 yen https://store-jp.nintendo.com/list/soft ... 41245.html
Sima Tuna

Post by Sima Tuna »

The cosmic collection sale prices are pretty reasonable. I might get the console games. I'm not about to deal with that 2-3 screen aspect ratio bullshit and I already have Darius Gaiden on ps2.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Game Tengoku is 65% off on Steam for the next few days. DLC is also 40% off.

Actually, there is a decent amount of games on sale on Steam: from my wishlist, Deathsmiles, Mushihimesame, Mushihimesama V1.5, DDP Resurrection, R-Type Dimensions EX, Ikaruga, Caladrius Blaze, Dariusburst Chronicle Saviours and Hover Attack are all on sale right now.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

fanatical.com having a really big sale
ie
DariusburstCS for $12.50
Mushihimesama $6!
Raiden Legacy $7.35

This is the cheapest I've seen any of the above
Verticen

Post by Verticen »

All shooting games in the Itch.io Ukraine Bundle ($10)
as of 03/10/2022

Traditional: 'Rausers/Sinistar-Like: Experimental: All games in the bundle are DRM free, as I know some here care about that. There are no steam keys given for any game purchased in the bundle fyi.
edit: added 2 games Leander mentioned
Last edited by Verticen on Sat Mar 12, 2022 9:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Verticen wrote:All shooting games in the Itch.io Ukraine Bundle ($10)
as of 03/10/2022

Traditional:
You missed Schildmaid MX, second best game in there (after ZeroRanger)!
https://hitp-studio.itch.io/schildmaid-mx

Edit: Also Viral Reload: https://retrocademedia.itch.io/viral-reload
Fingolfin

Post by Fingolfin »

Switch
eShop NA on sale now

Space Invaders Invincible Collection 60% off @ $23.99
Panzer Dragoon Remake 90% off @ $2.49

IIRC both are in the last few/couple of days at these
sale prices
seiatsu

Post by seiatsu »

Mushihimesama, Espgaluda II, and DDP Resurrection are all 20% off (bringing them to 15.99) on the eShop until 6/29
subcons

Post by subcons »

seiatsu wrote:Mushihimesama, Espgaluda II, and DDP Resurrection are all 20% off (bringing them to 15.99) on the eShop until 6/29
Glad LRG announced the physicals recently. I probably would have been tempted to add them to my library, then end up double dipping later.
pieslice

Post by pieslice »

Crisis Wing is -50% off during the Steam Summer Sale!