The shmups sales/deals thread

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Steven

Re: The shmups sales/deals thread

Post by Steven »

Kamui 50% off on Steam again. With RayForce on everyone's mind today, this is nice timing.

https://store.steampowered.com/app/283820/_/
BIL

Post by BIL »

Kamui is legit good enough to deserve a spot on Ray'Z, absolutely killer first-rate STG. Image
Steven

Post by Steven »

Unquestionably. People might think me insane for saying this, but I think Kamui is slightly better than RayForce.
BIL

Post by BIL »

I definitely put it in the same ballpark, with RF edging ahead mainly for its sheer intensity; even then, Kamui's relative flexibility has its own advantages. Ultimately, they represent the best aspects of arcade and consumer STG design. Ages ago, I used to rate Siter Skain's title an echelon down in the Top 25, but after a decade or so, I had to concede it's a true classic on par with its Taito and Raizing inspirations. I like RefleX and especially Alltynex Second as well, not least for Jirurun maintaining that electric, haunting, techno-ethereal atmosphere (few games of any genre can encompass the funereal and the furied like this trilogy!), but Kamui is just uncannily good.
Steven

Post by Steven »

Yeah, they are really close either way, and once it's time for the next top 25 Kamui is absolutely going to be up near the top third of my list unless something changes radically, and RayForce probably will too.

As for the OST, I've been looking at that OST option there on Steam for a few months now for a few damn good reasons and you know exactly what I mean! The whole series is on sale now, so I might just get the thing that has the other two games + all of the OSTs.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

I really wish Kamui would click for me. Seems like an excellent game, lovely presentation and awesome weapon system, but I find my self losing interest after a few credits and feel like I'm forcing my way through it.

Something about some bullets being fired quite low on the screen and some hits feeling a bit cheap I suppose. Or maybe the sound effects being kinda quiet in the sound mix combined with the relentless pace of the music? I've never really figured it out.

I wish it would click for me because I like a lot of what the game offers.

And yeah, since it doesn't have that weird auto centering mechanic in Rayforce, it's probably a bit better than it's inspiration, to be honest.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

Darius Cozmic Collection Arcade is 60% off on the PSN store.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

US Playstation Store
All the S-tribute games are 20% off, I think through next week.
Didn't even know there was a Puchi Carot release.
Picked up Elevator Action Returns for around $12.

Also got Mr. Driller Drill land for around $5 even though I've never particularly been a fan of the series.
And Yakuza Origins (0, 1, and 2 remakes) was something like $13
To Far Away Times

Mr. Driller Drill Land is probably my most played game in the series. The Aztec puzzle mode, RPG mode, and of course the arcade mode are fantastic.

And the menus are so swaggy.
Koa Zo

Post by Koa Zo »

It's probably my most played too, which isn't saying much.
It was my introduction to the series back on GameCube, but it never clicked or I just never figured it out.

The swag factor is what had me come back to it. The graphic design and style is charming and polished though almost too saccharine.
Browsing the PSN sale games and seeing it for so cheap, figured I should give it another go
Having it in English is certainly nice and is helping me learn how to play but the chit chat is a bit excessive. Thankfully dialogue can be skipped with the Options button.
The addition of the casual difficulty is welcomed too.

Played a bit of Elevator Action Returns as well tonight. While exciting to have on PS4 and what a beautiful game, I couldn't help but feel some deaths were due to a delay in jumping or other control lag. Nonetheless I think it's completely playable and super rad to have on PS4 and will be eager to play through it. Again having it in English is fantastic, I never knew about double points after shooting the lights out!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

shmups deal adjunct:

Steam Decks are 10% off

Plus, it's the Spring sale, so whatever game you want is probably on sale.
To Far Away Times

I bought Darius Cozmic Collection on the Steam Sale.

The M2 Gadgets, Replays, and Save States really make this the best possible way to play these games.

High effort ports really make a big difference.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Ray'z collection is out in Japan and City Connection's Layer Section/Galactic Attack "collection" is still on sale for over 20 dollars. ugh.
cfx

Post by cfx »

m.sniffles.esq wrote:shmups deal adjunct:

Steam Decks are 10% off

Anyone know if Strania works on the Steam Deck?

No info on the page so I assume that means Valve hasn't tested it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4073 ... la_Machina
To Far Away Times

cfx wrote:
m.sniffles.esq wrote:shmups deal adjunct:

Steam Decks are 10% off

Anyone know if Strania works on the Steam Deck?

No info on the page so I assume that means Valve hasn't tested it?
https://store.steampowered.com/app/4073 ... la_Machina
It does, I have it.

Protondb is a good way to check compatibility. There's a Proton version called Proton GE that greatly improves compatibility over official Proton. Highly recommended you install Proton GE (you can get it as an easily installable flatpak) if you do any gaming on linux.

https://www.protondb.com/app/407380
cfx

Post by cfx »

Thanks. :D

I did stumble onto that database in my search, but saw it just said Steam Deck status was unknown, and I'm totally clueless about Linux so the rest of what is there didn't mean anything to me.
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

The Taito Egret II Mini is $200 (in the US)

That's the lowest I've seen it, and since the Astro City 2 was 2022's gaming bargain of the year (and everyone says the Egret is superior in every regard), I pounced like a goddamn jackal.

Although I now need an hdmi switcher with FOUR ports. I'm considering just trying to find one with ten...
miwa

Post by miwa »

All the Live Wire shmups (DDP DFK, Mushi, Espgaluda 2 and Radiant Silvergun) are currently on sale on the Nintendo eshop.
pulsemod

Post by pulsemod »

Graze Counter GM is 20% off on the PSN store, 30% off with a PS Plus account.
kid aphex

Post by kid aphex »

I come to you with deals

Woot has a few shmups on sale RN,

Pocky and Rocky PS4: $17.99
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/poc ... _elec_4_34

Deathsmiles Switch and PS4: $24.99/19.99
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/dea ... t_elec_4_9

Cotton Fantasy PS4: $19.99
https://electronics.woot.com/offers/cot ... _elec_4_47
Steven

Post by Steven »

Steam summer sale time. GOG as well, but there isn't much on GOG that I can think of besides Raiden V and I think everyone hates that game.
Martinov

Post by Martinov »

Always worth checking other places like CDKeys and Fanatical, they're sometimes cheaper than the Steam sale. For example, I picked up Castle of Shikigami 2 (PC) yesterday for £9.29 from Fanatical - it's £12.56 on Steam.
sunnshiner

Post by sunnshiner »

Steven wrote:Steam summer sale time. GOG as well, but there isn't much on GOG that I can think of besides Raiden V and I think everyone hates that game.
Yep, I just got Strania and Trouble Witches!
m.sniffles.esq

Post by m.sniffles.esq »

Due to the Steam sale, I double dipped Akka Arrh and can confirm it's MUCH more fun using the trackball than the controller.
The Coop

Post by The Coop »

Steven wrote:Steam summer sale time. GOG as well, but there isn't much on GOG that I can think of besides Raiden V and I think everyone hates that game.
They used to have Raiden III and Raiden IV, but I guess those were removed for some reason. However, they do have the four Toaplan games that were recently released (Zero Wing, Truxton, Twin Cobra and Out Zone), Raiden Legacy, Cuphead, Sine Mora EX, Caladrius Blaze, some NEO GEO shmups, and a number of other shmups. Not sure why the Toaplan games didn't go on sale on GOG (they're 20% off on Steam, and some 50%-plus if you buy the bundle).
BurlyHeart

Post by BurlyHeart »

Nothing extravagant but picked up Kamui, Sister's Royale, and Z-Warp during the sale.

The latter 2 are easier but fun shmups from what I've read and the former is based on BIL's glowing recommendation. If I like Kamui I'll probably pick up the Ray'z collection as I've heard they're made from a similar cloth.
Last edited by BurlyHeart on Tue Jul 04, 2023 10:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Now known as old man|Burly
YouTube
Shmup Difficulty Lists:
Japan Arcade - To Far Away Times - Perikles
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Sister's Royale is basically Castle of Shikigami 4, and a lot of fun.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

The Coop wrote:They used to have Raiden III and Raiden IV, but I guess those were removed for some reason.
The reason those versions were removed/delisted was that an updated version for those were coming out. (Raiden III: Mikado Maniax and Raiden IV: Mikado Remix)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
bobhasashotgun

Post by bobhasashotgun »

Natsuki Chronicles and Ginga Force are $4 (each) on PSN. Even less of you buy the bundle.
gradiusscrub69

Post by gradiusscrub69 »

Mushihimesama is $6.99 on Fanatical. I think this is the same price it was during the steam summer sale, been dying to buy this at a good price since I missed out :shock:

edit: looks like CAVE shooters in general are on sale at the moment on fanatical :shock: :shock: