Super Fighter Team releasing Magic Girl for Genesis/MD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Ganelon

Super Fighter Team releasing Magic Girl for Genesis/MD

Post by Ganelon »

The Super Fighter Team's next project is Magic Girl, originally developed by Gamtec as an unlicensed Asian Mega Drive top-down shooter: http://www.magicgirlgame.com/

Pre-order the Gamtec-authorized, translated, bug-fixed cart for $40 and get it sometime in 2015. Be warned that the game is pretty awful in every way and overly repetitive but that probably won't mean much to the folks who need to collect every shooter or are looking to resell for quadruple the price. This release is likely in response to an announcement a few days ago from a homebrew group planning to illegitimately package Magic Girl for physical release.

Super Fighter is also releasing Telenet's previously unreleased MD remake of Epyx's Cascade puzzler: http://www.playcascade.com/
soprano1

Re: Super Fighter Team releasing Magic Girl for Genesis/MD

Post by soprano1 »

Will they fix the frameskipping/stuttering/whatever it's called that plagues the game?
ChurchOfSolipsism wrote:I'll make sure I'll download it illegally one day...
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Ganelon wrote:but that probably won't mean much to the folks who need to collect every shooter or are looking to resell for quadruple the price.
I don't own a Mega Drive, but I briefly considered investing.

One thing I found interesting about Magic Girl is that it's almost like a full-length Caravan game - most enemy waves seem to spawn as soon as the previous one has been destroyed, so speedkilling absolutely everything would be important for scoring. I didn't care for it when I played it, but at least it has more potential for score play than most games for the system.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Gmintyfresh

Post by Gmintyfresh »

Gmintyfresh

Post by Gmintyfresh »

Fasebonus/1985Alternativo version arrived yesterday:

vingadorjr

Post by vingadorjr »

I do have the original Tai version in T shape. Doesw someone know how much it is worth? Its so rare that its very difficult to find any price history. Thanks.

KindGrind

Post by KindGrind »

I remember buying a copy of this for 125$, but this is when Twinkle Tale / Gleylancer were worth roughly 100$ complete, mint with reg card. Considering the ghetto nature of the game, I doubt it followed the other games' pricing patterns. I remember selling mine a bit under the price I had paid, and it didn't sell quickly... It just doesn't have the glow and sexiness of the glossy, complete Megadrive games. The reprint may spark interest for the original, but in this case I doubt it, especially if they fixed the aforementioned nuisances plaguing the original cart. I may be wrong about all this though.
Muchos años después, frente al pelotón de fusilamiento...
vingadorjr

Post by vingadorjr »

Just to let you guys know that im selling my original Tai copy of Magic Girl. Auction beginning with 200 U$.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/271620518809?ss ... 1555.l2649
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

This is barely a step above Divine Sealing in the MD STG library.
Aquas

Post by Aquas »

soprano1 wrote:Will they fix the frameskipping/stuttering/whatever it's called that plagues the game?
I played and beat Magic Girl on MegaEverdrive flash cart on Genesis recently. Maybe it was the new one? But I didn't notice anything crazy bad.

I think it's a good game for what it is. Music is annoyingly catchy, design is very cute'em'up. It does have a Caravan feel and it has a lot of frantic dodging and shooting, it's fairly exciting. The bosses are like TwinBee1 arcade simple. So it has a certain charm. The art / character and story is hilariously adorable and thought out too. My friends and I got a kick out of this one just this last week.

It has it's rough edges of course.
STG Weekly!, 1cc's, twitch, XBL: DJ Aquazition
The in-game papers prove that being the paperboy is actually a position of the greatest importance,
ranking alongside top elected officials for notoriety. -Ed Oscuro
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Ganelon wrote:Be warned that the game is pretty awful in every way and overly repetitive but that probably won't mean much to the folks who need to collect every shooter or are looking to resell for quadruple the price. This release is likely in response to an announcement a few days ago from a homebrew group planning to illegitimately package Magic Girl for physical release
How time flies, I guess... Another legitimate physical release of this is now the Piko cartridge for the evercade. Mask ROM format with 20 titles inside (fortunately most of them way better than this one), which makes Magic Girl value roughly 1$.
X - P - B
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Not gonna go into details again, but in short: Don't support Piko.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Sumez wrote:Not gonna go into details again, but in short: Don't support Piko.
Why? Because of the 5 volts thing?

viewtopic.php?p=1375972#p1375972
X - P - B
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Piko claims that they use voltage regulators, but they aren't specific on the details and switch between calling them regulators and shifters. That said, that's obviously not a problem with the evercade cart, though I still retain skepticism about the company itself.
Sumez

Post by Sumez »

Also screwing over devs etc. Just a lot of not very clean business practices.