spaceship model kits

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Soulless187

Re: spaceship model kits

Post by Soulless187 »

MachineAres 1CC wow I love the ship collection. I have been building and modeling for many many years now and I've always wanted to make a diorama of the DOJ cover with the crashed type A and Shota all hooked up to it with the cables and stuff..... I might have to try and find that kit just so I can destroy it..... FOR SCIENCE... umm I mean FOR ART!!!!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

New Vic kit was shown:

https://www.taghobby.com/archives/34748 ... MMoccmNUjY

It's NOT the T301.

Some pics on twitter make it seem like the R-90 Ragnarok is getting a kit.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
greg

Post by greg »

I just came here to post about the new Vic Viper kit. I never really played Gradius IV much (so frickin' hard), but I will buy this kit nonetheless.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Sly Cherry Chunks

Video of the Thunderforce figmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmssWDe2gc

Gross mould lines on the Styxx, that white plastic looks like it will be yellow in a few years.

https://twitter.com/quesq_info/status/1 ... 1174519809

I like the look of this.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Video of the Thunderforce figmas:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kTmssWDe2gc

Gross mould lines on the Styxx, that white plastic looks like it will be yellow in a few years.
I had those on pre-order , a bit underwhelming to be honest. Don't think I'll bother to pay for them ( they're not cheap )
Sly Cherry Chunks

Wow these are much better in hand.

Plastic quality is extremely high. rigid and satin as opposed to soft and glossy. None of that cheap, bendy and yellow Starcom/stormtrooper stuff that I was worried about. We are light years away from the original SGH gashas too.
The overabundance of accessories is an annoyance and might be why these are so expensive. Lets face it, its almost impossible to make options/Claw/satellites look cool in toy form and the snake arm stand is intrusive; distracting from the figure itself. I guess you're supposed to disassemble the arms to make one short one and one long one because you can barely position the Claw above the ship as it is. I could not get these things to look good on their stands.

Loving these side profiles, the Styx is almost identical to the sprite - and after 30 years of fanart, bad cgi and some garage kits, they've correctly included the underslung cannon that was always there. The wing tip guns can be swapped out for yellow ones to make it look as it appeared as in TFIV (cannon fodder-type). One of my gun tips is extremely loose.
Barely noticeable in the bottom pic is what looks like a paint smudge on the Thunder Sword. It actually looks like some red overspray has been touched up with white paint. Rynex also has a detachable panel on the bottom that should probably be glued in.

Shooting Game Historica doesn't seem to want to die and I'm not sure if my kid's college fund can take it. Roll on Dobkeratops
Last edited by Sly Cherry Chunks on Fri Jul 01, 2022 6:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
greg

Post by greg »

Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Wow these are much better in hand.

Plastic quality is extremely high. rigid and satin as opposed to soft and glossy. None of that cheap, bendy and yellow Starcom/stormtrooper stuff that I was worried about. We are light years away from the original SGH gashas too.
The overabundance of accessories is an annoyance and might be why these are so expensive. Lets face it, its almost impossible to make options/Claw/satellites look cool in toy form and the snake arm stand is intrusive; distracting from the figure itself. I guess you're supposed to disassemble the arms to make one short one and one long one because you can barely position the Claw above the ship as it is. I could not get these things to look good on their stands.

Loving these side profiles, the Styx is almost identical to the sprite - and after 30 years of fanart, bad cgi and some garage kits, they've correctly included the underslung cannon that was always there. The wing tip guns can be swapped out for yellow ones to make it look as it appeared as in TFIV (cannon fodder-type). One of my gun tips is extremely loose.
Barely noticeable in the bottom pic is what looks like a paint smudge on the Thunder Sword. It actually looks like some red overspray has been touched up with white paint. Rynex also has a detachable panel on the bottom that should probably be glued in.

Shooting Game Historica doesn't seem to want to die and I'm not sure if my kid's college fund can take it. Roll on Dobkeratops

Incredible the side profile on the thunder force ships are incredible .
Any information on the the thunder force v ships release?

I want the rynex so bad was it hard to grab hold of them ?
Arms installation complete Good luck
Sly Cherry Chunks

The V ships were released almost 10 years ago but Yukio has a fairly recent video of them:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8IVX23OVMc

I ordered Rynex and Styxx from Amiami. I had no problem getting them at the time, they've sold out now though.
greg

Post by greg »

This weekend I began working on the Silverhawk from Darius Burst. Here's the first video for this build:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2feJUkW7M0
Bar81

Post by Bar81 »

Very cool video. Looking forward to the next installment.
Sly Cherry Chunks

https://www.taghobby.com/archives/38840 ... BTZ_Uk3jNk

A good looks at Plum's Vic. Looks like the R-9 might get a reissue in black too.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:https://www.taghobby.com/archives/38840 ... BTZ_Uk3jNk

A good looks at Plum's Vic. Looks like the R-9 might get a reissue in black too.
8)
greg

Post by greg »

Hey Sly, the new Vic Viper by Plum is coming out in February! I just got the newest issue of Model Graphix. It has pictures of the black Arrowhead too. It'll be sold under the "R-Type Tactics" name and will be out the beginning of 2020.

I really need to finish my R-Type kit. I also need to get back to my Silverhawk! My friend on YouTube is doing the Solvalou from Xevious. Here's his latest video:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XiF2WliYxsQ
Sly Cherry Chunks

I really need to start my R-Type kit. Thanks for the heads up, Greg. Looks like Dobkeratops was delayed, dont know how long for.
Sly Cherry Chunks

VIC Viper pre-order is up:

https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=TOY-SCL3-10373

Doberkeratops was delayed again until... tomorrow!
greg

Post by greg »

I came here just to post the link. Here's the Viper page on Plum's website.
https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/211.html
I see no incentive to order the kit directly from Plum this time. With their Wings of Honneamise, they had exclusive pilot figures only available through their website or their stores. Since there are apparently no exclusive bonus items, I'd rather buy from Amiami and save some money.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Pre-ordered one from HLJ. They don't charge for the item or the shipping fee until its ready to be dispatched so don't need to pay anything until Feb which is great 8)
greg

Post by greg »

I bought the new Vic Viper kit. It's at 1:144 scale, but while it is unfortunately smaller than Atelier Sai's crappy 1:100 Viper models, it is indeed made way better.

https://www.pmoa.co.jp/product/211.html

It arrived a few weeks ago. Plum made no incentive to buy directly from their site this time, so I went with an online retailer instead. Plum has ABS pilot figures for their Wings of Honneamise which come only from kits sold directly by their website or their retail stores in Tokyo and Suwa (in Nagano Prefecture where they are HQ'd). The Viper kit comes with a pilot figure already, so with no bonuses I didn't see the point of paying list price for the kit.

There are clear parts for the nav lights and such, which is nice. One of the myriad of problems with the old Atelier Sai kits is that the cockpit pins are huge and intrusive, and looks worse than a GI Joe toy. Not so with this new kit.

And get this... you'll love it. So the ship has a single engine can in the back. It has a hole through the middle, in which additional detail can be plugged in. But if you don't use that central plug, the hole fits a 3mm LED perfectly. No drilling required! I imagine that this was deliberate.

A few years ago I had started lighting up Plum's R-Type kit. I kinda screwed up with the base and some wiring in the base. I have been meaning to get back to it. I'm also currently working on lighting their Darius Burst kit. These kits definitely required a bit of drilling for their engines. I'm tempted to get started on this new Viper kit, but I have to exercise some self-control since I keep starting so many projects and not finishing them.

I have only ever played Gradius IV on the Playstation 2 Gradius compilation (which contains III and IV). It's a port of the arcade, and IIRC there never was a home port. Gradius III on the SNES/SFC got plenty of play time with me, but the arcade version is way harder. I really do hope they have plans to do some variations, just as they did with their Twinbee kits.

Atelier Sai released versions of the Vic Viper from all the games. Those kits were really bad. They had gross-feeling plastic with a weird texture that requires sanding, a poor fit, ugly cockpit pins, hideous gaps and just so many other issues, like how they did not provide a good way to paint parts separately for later assembly. My friend who works in the industry told me that Atelier Sai couldn't recover from this big problem and it led to them going bankrupt. They should have stuck to figures, but I think maybe they had some issues and were looking to diversify. Instead of providing a straightforward model kit, they attempted to go the Gundam snap fit route, but their engineering ability was not up for it. The new Plum kit also has different-colored plastic, but there are no gaudy stickers like Atelier Sai did.

I included an unboxing of the kit in this video: https://youtu.be/Htb9TrZ5P2s?t=2576 (It should start at the 42:56 timecode.)
Sly Cherry Chunks

The Atelier Sai kits also recycled parts from the original Skygirls Vic, so of the five or six they released - non of them were particularly accurate to any game art.

My Plum Vic is in the mail and my Dobs has been sat, unopened since before Christmas.

Greg, I'm interested in that K'Tinga. How's that going?
heli

Post by heli »

Can you scan em to print ?
greg

Post by greg »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:The Atelier Sai kits also recycled parts from the original Skygirls Vic, so of the five or six they released - non of them were particularly accurate to any game art.

My Plum Vic is in the mail and my Dobs has been sat, unopened since before Christmas.

Greg, I'm interested in that K'Tinga. How's that going?
I have the lighting kit for the K'Tinga which comes with photoetch. The photoetch was a real selling point for me because I don't remember Polar Lights ever offering photoetch. The problem is that it was not thought out properly. For the brass band that goes around the outside of the bulb, the windows do NOT line up with what the plastic has, leading me to have to drill out way more plastic than necessary. Moreover, it's not even big enough to fit the area it goes onto. I ended up ruining the plastic getting it on. Others have learned from my mistake and left the plastic alone on that part. Theirs turned out fine, while this big flaw really sucked the joy I had for the kit. It's still in pieces and I haven't touched it in 10 months.

I am still working on the Darius Burst Silverhawk though. Hopefully that will turn out alright.
6t8k

Post by 6t8k »

:o
greg

Post by greg »

My Darius Burst Silverhawk plastic model is done.
https://twitter.com/stevethefish76/stat ... 1848199168

Also, Plum will be releasing a Raiden kit! At their pace, it'll come out in 2-3 years from now. They're slow and it might just be one guy working on these models. Plum seems to focus more on anime figures.
Varth

Post by Varth »

Love SHMUPS kits. Got the 2 Ikaruga ones in Japan back when they came out, but gifted them to the guy at the office who did the paint and assembly job in the end. Kinda trying to stick to prebuilt or snap models, like the Shooting historica gacha series, but ALWAYS TEMPTED to go out of my way and get some kit.

Also REALLY wish they would put out retro/pixel models once in a while.

First post btw. Hi :)
stuf999

Post by stuf999 »

Does anyone know anyone that has the rc berg models of the vic and salamander? I'd like to get some reference photos if I am able to.

https://www.rc-berg.co.jp/products/gall ... viper.html
Furry Fox Jet Pilot

Post by Furry Fox Jet Pilot »

https://gamp.ameblo.jp/plum-pmoa/entry- ... ssion=true

Some new pics of the upcoming Raiden model. I’m considering getting this as my first kit but I have a couple of questions. I believe it does come pre painted but does anyone know if it’s a snap together or if it requires any kind of glue? Also, can anyone who can read Japanese confirm whether or not the Raiden V pedestal and Miclus are bonus items exclusive to ordering directly from Plum? If those items don’t come with it through any other retailer I might need some help ordering through their site because the checkout page doesn’t seem to translate at all for me. If anyone could help me with that I would greatly appreciate it!
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

That Azuma is great. The game is just alright, but the ship designs are fire. I was literally searching around for a model of this in the summer, to no avail. I hope they do the other two since judging by the leaderboards practically everyone plays Spirit of Dragon.
greg

Post by greg »

Plum has posted a vid on the Raiden V model:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jI1OQwSv7I

And I forgot to post on here after I finished my Darius kit.

Final build video on YT:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cUIDM-znwaA

Photo gallery:
https://stevethefishdotnet.tumblr.com/p ... gend-plamo

Sly Cherry Chunks

Amazing work on the Silver Hawk Greg, too bad about the gun barrel. Can you open her up? I hope they re-release that kit again someday.