spaceship model kits

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Sly Cherry Chunks

Re: spaceship model kits

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Great panel work on the silver hawk. I regret never picking that one up.
The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
greg

Post by greg »

Nice. I have the original kit. Does the Chronicle Savior reissue come with decals, or are you going to use aftermarket decals?
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Hobby Link Japan still has the silver hawk for sale for pretty reasonable price. Looking at the original kit it would seem that the reissue one has more decals even. I'll post new photos after I get around to doing the decals :) The Ikaruga Hitekkai and the Dodonpachi Type A are waiting to be done as well, whenever I'm more confident with my skills. greg, is the Raystorm kit by Kotobukiya still easy to find around Japan? The prices I see it going for online make me cry :lol:
greg

Post by greg »

No, I don't see the Raystorm kit anywhere, not even any current auctions on YAJ. And I'll tell you that the Ikaruga kits are hard to find, especially the 1P version. My wife got me the 2P one (I forget the name).

You know, I think I remember seeing the Raystorm kit at a model shop in Maebashi the last time I visited there (several months ago). If I see it again, I'll buy it and flip it for you. I won't jack the price up, either. I do this a lot for people on modeling forums. Plenty of people appreciate it, but some jerkwads hate me for it. I'll see what I can do.

So the Silverhawk was recently repopped with a Darius Burst: Chronicle Saviour box. And the Silpheed was repopped about a year ago, this time with decals.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Mine is the 2p player version too, in white. Got it from a guy from Spain who started it but gave up after snapping few parts together. It's got many parts for sure :)

That would be seriously awesome! And I'll definitely appreciate it. There's one on eBay for sale from Japan at the moment but the price is high and with the customs fees it will get ugly. Do let me know on PM if anything comes up and thanks a lot.
greg

Post by greg »

werk91 wrote:Mine is the 2p player version too, in white. Got it from a guy from Spain who started it but gave up after snapping few parts together. It's got many parts for sure :)

That would be seriously awesome! And I'll definitely appreciate it. There's one on eBay for sale from Japan at the moment but the price is high and with the customs fees it will get ugly. Do let me know on PM if anything comes up and thanks a lot.
A couple of weekends ago, I stopped by that model shop. Unfortunately, they no longer have any Kotobukiya shmup ships. They had the Silverhawk and Arrowhead models by Plum, but nothing for Raystorm, Ikaruga, or Dodonpachi. Well, I tried!

I did manage to score a Kotobukiya resin figure of Tillis from Burning Rangers though. NEAT
pixelcorps

Post by pixelcorps »

I can still get Ikaruga / raystorm / shmup kits from time to time..sadly the price is increasing due to rarity..Although I always mark customs as a gift ;)

I got 2 for myself recently.

Just send me a find request from my retro raider link below if anyones interested..
werk91

Post by werk91 »

greg wrote:
werk91 wrote:Mine is the 2p player version too, in white. Got it from a guy from Spain who started it but gave up after snapping few parts together. It's got many parts for sure :)

A couple of weekends ago, I stopped by that model shop. Unfortunately, they no longer have any Kotobukiya shmup ships. They had the Silverhawk and Arrowhead models by Plum, but nothing for Raystorm, Ikaruga, or Dodonpachi. Well, I tried!

I did manage to score a Kotobukiya resin figure of Tillis from Burning Rangers though. NEAT
Besides Ikaruga the Kotobukiya ones have became quite rare recently... I appreciate that you looked in any case! Maybe one day I'll see one on eBay again that's more affordable.
greg

Post by greg »

So I had misread that Plum flyer about the Gradius model. The development for the Vic Viper was to commence in December. All I did was look at the date and did not attempt to look up the kanji I could not read. They aren't showing anything of this yet on their social media at all.
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

Can anyone who owns the RC Berg Type A kit confirm if it comes with a pilot (Part number 5)?

I recently got a kit and it was missing.

I understand that the Type B version never came with one.

In the official pics for the Type A, the part is on the sprue (whitish in colour and pictured in the centre below the landing gear), although I can't seem to see it in the actual completed model.

Off Pic of the parts laid out.
http://www.rc-berg.co.jp/products/galle ... hi_a09.jpg

Rest of pics.
http://www.rc-berg.co.jp/products/galle ... chia2.html
2d will never die.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Any word on these Thunder Force figures by FREEing ?
I saw the article on Forbes over a year ago :) Link
Sly Cherry Chunks

They were shown at the recent wonder festival along with a new dobkeratops figma??

https://game.watch.impress.co.jp/docs/news/1135519.html
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Cool! The dobkeratops figma sure is a beast :o
MachineAres 1CC

Post by MachineAres 1CC »

I finally put together my whole collection of shmups figures/models and took some pics. I'll write a little bit about each one. You can click each picture for a higher resolution image

These are all from various Darius games, mostly Burst, except there's also two original Silver Hawks from Darius vanilla. All of these were just DB:CS PS4 collector's edition Yujin toys, Shooting Game Historica toys that had a small amount of assembly required and the Iron Fossil is the Figma that also had very little assembly. The exception is the big red Silver Hawk from Burst, that one is a model kit by PLUM that required assembly. It was pretty easy to build and detail, all things considered, didn't have any extra decals or anything.

Here's just an overhead shot of these, looks a lot like the promo images from DB:CS where all the ships are arranged in a circle.

These are STG Historica figures from Cute 'em ups, Fantasy Zone and Twinbee. Detail is really well done on both sets, not really any assembly on these.

A few more STG Historica's from Metal Black, Xexex, and X-Multiply. These all actually had some assembly required, Metal Black also had some VERY fragile parts on it, so it was harder to put together than it should have been.

Here's more STGH from Star Blade, Star Luster, Star Soldier, and Gradius 2. All of these had almost no assembly, but all look pretty awesome.

Here's more STGH's of Image Fight, RayStorm, Raiden, and Soukyugurentai. The RayStorm ship was actually a HUGE pain to put together and required some extra cutting and glue to get the pieces together. Raiden and Soukyugurentai were pretty difficult as well, since both of them have multiple "modes" you can put them in, with extra parts and moving parts around.

R-Type Final, R-Type 3, and Aleste STGH. The R-Types were actually surprisingly hard to put together, there's a lot of pieces and little wings that are hard to get in place, and then the options had their own stand parts which also required some extra cutting/maneuvering to get in place.

This is a special STGH that's about 10 times the size of the normal ones, from Terra Cresta, of the full size Wing Galiber formation. This wasn't too difficult, but you did have to fit all the pieces together to get the full formation, and it wasn't entirely cooperative all the time, but I love the final result.

DoDonPachi DOJ Type-A model kit by Kotobukiya. This was probably the best quality of all the full model kits I had to build. Everything fit together well and looked great in the end. Love the custom base/stand as well with the DOJ logo. This was a fun build.

Silpheed: The Lost Planet model kit by PLUM. This one was kind of a mess. The pieces they give you aren't necessarily low quality plastic overall, but the coloring on them is very plain, and it requires a lot of detail and painting to get it right. Aside from the coloring already being a mess, applying the decals was a total nightmare. They're water-based decals, to begin with, and most of them are literally microscopic, so a lot of them just got damaged or lost all their adhesive before they could even be applied. I had to use some extra glue to get most of the decals to stick and I also did a gloss enamel coating on top to get them all to stay in place. The final result is pretty cool, but it was a frustrating build.

This is a Vic Viper model that is technically from the Sky Girls anime that Konami did in the late 2000s, but the detail and shape here are great. Unfortunately, the quality of the plastic and the model itself were not great. Took a LOT of work to do the details and get everything to fit right, and required a good amount of extra glue and cutting of pieces to get them to fit right. This is an alternate coloring, but I've always liked how Vic Viper looked in red as opposed to the blue it's usually presented in. It also came with no stand or base, so I had to custom build one out of a Gundam 1/144 base, took a good amount of work.

I have a few more small additions coming soon, but this is the bulk of it. If you have any questions about them, ask away, I'll try to answer as best as I can.

JUST A COUPLE MORE SHOTS です
Achievements/trophies|1CC List
Twitch|Genesis Shmups project
XBL & PSN: IDOLxISxDEAD
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

For MachineAres 1CC,

Do you have the two different Kotobukiya Ikaruga model kits (white and black colored variants) assembled & painted as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
MachineAres 1CC

PC Engine Fan X! wrote:For MachineAres 1CC,

Do you have the two different Kotobukiya Ikaruga model kits (white and black colored variants) assembled & painted as well?

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
I have the White Ikaruga kit but haven't built it yet, and I also have Xevious and Galaga kits I haven't built yet, but that's it for now
greg

Post by greg »

MachineAres, that collection of yours is stellar!

Good news for you guys. Kotobukiya will be repopping some of their shmup kits. The Ikaruga will be re-released in November, and in February we'll see the Ginkei (Ikaruga 2P ship) and the R-Gray1 from Raystorm. Wave's Solvalou from Xevious is due in October.

I never did get around to buying the Solvalou, so that is tempting. I have a pre-order in for the Ikaruga. I already have the Ginkei and R-Gray1.

I never did finish my lighted R-Type kit. I had to yank some of the wiring out to redo some work and I was getting frustrated and it's been sitting on my shelf ever since. Maybe I might try finishing it before the end of the year.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

Fantastic news! Wish I waited on getting the Raystorm kit as the price I payed was steep but at least I didn't rush getting the Ikaruga kit. Which website have you put the preorder in on?
MachineAres 1CC

greg wrote:MachineAres, that collection of yours is stellar!
Thanks! It was really fun to put it together and it's a great addition to display in my living room
Good news for you guys. Kotobukiya will be repopping some of their shmup kits. Wave's Solvalou from Xevious is due in October.
Funny enough, I just finished the Wave Xevious kit and it was fantastic. The size is somewhat small (the model is non-scale) but the detail and appearance is absolutely gorgeous, and the Andor Genesis on the base is a perfect touch. Here's a picture of mine assembled and detailed (click for larger):
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Funny enough, I just finished the Wave Xevious kit and it was fantastic. The size is somewhat small (the model is non-scale) but the detail and appearance is absolutely gorgeous, and the Andor Genesis on the base is a perfect touch. Here's a picture of mine assembled and detailed (click for larger):
Image[/quote]

The detail on that ship is fantastic, are these pre-painted or is this your handy work?
Sly Cherry Chunks

werk91 wrote:Any word on these Thunder Force figures by FREEing ?
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=FIGURE-042657

Woo! Its happening!

Thunderforce III & IV figures up for preorder. Feb 2019.
greg

Post by greg »

werk91 wrote:Fantastic news! Wish I waited on getting the Raystorm kit as the price I payed was steep but at least I didn't rush getting the Ikaruga kit. Which website have you put the preorder in on?
I preordered mine on Hobby Search (1999.co.jp). You can find it on AmiAmi too.
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Woo! Its happening!

Nice, but so expensive. It'd be great if somebody would make a plastic model for assembly.

The Solvalou kit comes with only stickers, unfortunately. But for those of us who paint the models, it wouldn't be difficult to paint instead. Wave's Galaga kit came with a sheet of butthundred decals.

With the Ikaruga and Ginkei on the way, I'm sure it's a safe bet that the black variants will also be re-released sometime next year. Neat.
werk91

Post by werk91 »

I found the Ikaruga's! Although I was hoping for the black variant of the Nuribotoke as I already have the white Ginkei. I suppose I can wait a few months and see if they'll re-release those variants too.

The Thunderforce ships look sweet but I agree that the price is just too much. I'll have to skip those which is a shame :?
greg

Post by greg »

werk91 wrote:I found the Ikaruga's! Although I was hoping for the black variant of the Nuribotoke as I already have the white Ginkei. I suppose I can wait a few months and see if they'll re-release those variants too.

The Thunderforce ships look sweet but I agree that the price is just too much. I'll have to skip those which is a shame :?
At this rate, I'd be surprised if Kotobukiya doesn't release the black versions of the Ikaruga ships.

And speaking of game-related models, Wave has recently come out with their 1:12 scale model of an Astro City cabinet featuring Capcom games.
https://www.hobby-wave.com/products/gm025/
They'd already released one that comes with Sega games, but this Capcom one looks more exciting. They also have a Hang On one too
https://www.hobby-wave.com/products/gm016/
...as well as newer-style arcade cabs.
https://www.hobby-wave.com/products/gm020/
Neat stuff.
MachineAres 1CC

garrz37 wrote:

The detail on that ship is fantastic, are these pre-painted or is this your handy work?
It was my work, the kit comes in flat colors, just gray, dark brown, and blue, the rest was painted or panel lined by me.
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

@MachineAres 1CC ..

Awesome job! :D
FRO

Post by FRO »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:
werk91 wrote:Any word on these Thunder Force figures by FREEing ?
https://www.amiami.com/eng/detail?gcode=FIGURE-042657

Woo! Its happening!

Saw these on Twitter yesterday. So very tempting, but wow, they're expensive.
Coryoon

Post by Coryoon »

2d will never die.
Ghegs

Post by Ghegs »

That would certainly look nice facing off against my army of R-9A figures.
No matter how good a game is, somebody will always hate it. No matter how bad a game is, somebody will always love it.

My videos
garrz32

Post by garrz32 »

Meh, not a fan of this.Looks too busy with the cables