spaceship model kits

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
eatdogs

spaceship model kits

Post by eatdogs »

Anyone here dabble into model kits? I was thinking about getting the two for Ikaruga. I've also seen one for Raystorm I think. They look pretty awesome.
arcade-stg

Re: spaceship model kits

Post by arcade-stg »

I have a few of them:

- Ikaruga White
- Ikaruga Black
- Dodonpachi Type A
- Dodonpachi Type B
- Ketsui Poster Version, this is my favourite
- rtype

Last edited by arcade-stg on Thu Apr 14, 2016 10:54 am, edited 2 times in total.
A piece of Akihabara in your Home?
http://akihabarainhome.com
Sly Cherry Chunks

Post by Sly Cherry Chunks »

Some awesome shit from the recent wonder festival:

Mosquito (at last):
http://members2.jcom.home.ne.jp/13bspec ... index.html

Last Resort:

I have the r-9 and a Vic Viper. I'm yet to build a kit that didn't look like garbage though. I also dicked around with making my own garage kits of Big Core and Hangly Gruttons which I post everywhere because I'm a huge attention whore.

The biggest unanswered question is where is the money? [1CCS]
eatdogs

Post by eatdogs »

Man, all those models you guys posted are awesome! I love the R-Type ones and those fish from Darius.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

I have some STG related kits myself, but haven't finished building them yet. I have both the Ikaruga and Ginkei, and the Dodonpachi Dai Ou Jou Type-A. Just don't quite feel comfortable enough with my painting skills to work on that one yet. :|

The two Ikaruga kits are very nice, but they are both packed with some absurdly tiny parts that make the painting process very labor-intensive. I'm hoping to finish the Ikaruga soon; I'm about 60% done with it. I was going to work on it over the weekend but some video editing projects took up all of my time.

Only finished thing I have worth photographing is my Metal Slug kit, which isn't a spaceship and is only vaguely STG-related (at best).
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Axelay

Post by Axelay »

Only finished thing I have worth photographing is my Metal Slug kit, which isn't a spaceship and is only vaguely STG-related (at best).[/quote]

You have. A slug model ! Show me I love that tank
Arms installation complete Good luck
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Axelay wrote:You have. A slug model ! Show me I love that tank

It's the first model I've built/painted in a very, very long time, (and my first time ever using an airbrush) so there are a lot of small mistakes, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. Learned a lot from the process.
I love Ibara.
eatdogs

Post by eatdogs »

Softdrink 117 wrote:
Axelay wrote:You have. A slug model ! Show me I love that tank

It's the first model I've built/painted in a very, very long time, (and my first time ever using an airbrush) so there are a lot of small mistakes, but overall I'm pretty happy with it. Learned a lot from the process.

That's freakin' awesome!
Pretas
Banned User

Post by Pretas »

Is that the "Metal Bug" knockoff? I don't believe there's been an official kit of the Metal Slug tank, at least not for a long time.
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Pretas wrote:Is that the "Metal Bug" knockoff? I don't believe there's been an official kit of the Metal Slug tank, at least not for a long time.
Yep, "Metal Bug" indeed. :wink:

It's technically a knockoff, but it's a very good likeness. The casting quality leaves a lot to be desired though; it took a lot of work to get it this presentable, and there are still quite a few mistakes. Several of the parts broke and needed to be fixed or replaced with scratchbuilt sections. And the plastic quality itself is very meh. Still happy I got the chance to work on it though.

Apparently getting hard to find. I got mine for like $20 on ebay a year or so ago, but a quick glance online and I didn't see one for sale (although it looks like there are Slug Flyer and SV-002 models out now... tempted by the latter, actually. Although at this point I really shouldn't add anything else to my kit backlog.) XD
I love Ibara.
eatdogs

Post by eatdogs »

Softdrink 117 wrote:
Pretas wrote:Is that the "Metal Bug" knockoff? I don't believe there's been an official kit of the Metal Slug tank, at least not for a long time.
Yep, "Metal Bug" indeed. :wink:

It's technically a knockoff, but it's a very good likeness. The casting quality leaves a lot to be desired though; it took a lot of work to get it this presentable, and there are still quite a few mistakes. Several of the parts broke and needed to be fixed or replaced with scratchbuilt sections. And the plastic quality itself is very meh. Still happy I got the chance to work on it though.

Apparently getting hard to find. I got mine for like $20 on ebay a year or so ago, but a quick glance online and I didn't see one for sale (although it looks like there are Slug Flyer and SV-002 models out now... tempted by the latter, actually. Although at this point I really shouldn't add anything else to my kit backlog.) XD

Or you could just use a model from New Dominion Tank Police and pass it off as one lol.
greg

Post by greg »

eatdogs wrote:Anyone here dabble into model kits? I was thinking about getting the two for Ikaruga. I've also seen one for Raystorm I think. They look pretty awesome.
There are actually three separate Ikaruga kits by Kotobukiya. The black one, the white one, and the whatever-it's-called one. I personally own the white one, but have yet to build it. Kotobukiya has also released models of the R-Gray 1 from Layer Section II/Raystorm and soon they will release the Type-A from Dodonpachi, Dai Ou Jou (as I just posted about.). I just attended the All Japan Model Show at the end of September, but I did not see this on display at Kotobukiya's booth.

As far as the Metal Slug goes, I do have the unlicensed Metal Bug kit, but its reputation for breaking easily has dissuaded me from building it. In fact, I may as well just get rid of it, considering that Wave will be releasing a kit officially licensed by SNK Playmore! This was on display at the recent All Japan Model Show in Tokyo.
Image Image

Wave has made kits for Galaga and Xevious. I built the Galaga starfighter earlier this year.

A newer company called Plum has done a lot of game-related models. They've done the ships from Darius Burst, Silpheed, R-Type, Power Dolls (this game makes me want to buy a PC-FX), Assault Suits Valken, Assault Suits Leynos, and maybe a few others I can't think of at the moment.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

That Last Resort phallus is awesome.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

greg

Post by greg »

Today I uploaded an unboxing video of two shmup models: The SA-77 Silpheed Lancer from Sillpheed and the Legend Silverhawk Burst from Darius Burst. The video is here.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.
eatdogs

Post by eatdogs »

I really want to make a Vic Viper.
greg

Post by greg »

eatdogs wrote:I really want to make a Vic Viper.
Unfortunately, those are becoming fairly expensive. It's a shame, because they are severely flawed kits. I have no idea why the model kit license went to Atelier Sai, a company that makes anime figures. I have a feeling that they haven't made any model kits since then. (Their homepage is down at the moment, so I can't even investigate.)
greg

Post by greg »

Oh yeah, I should have mentioned that I did an unboxing video of some other kits based off of video game shooters (one by PLUM, and some others) which you can see here. They are The R-Gray 1 from Layer Section/Raystorm by Kotobukiya, and the R-9A Arrowhead from R-Type Delta and Jake-type Assault Suits Valken by PLUM.
greg

Post by greg »

I was in Tokyo yesterday for the Miyazawa Model Event. It was mostly focused on anime figures, models, keychains, etc. I saw a great Darius fishmonster Figma of Iron Fossil. I stopped by Plum's table and talked with the company rep there. I told him how great it is that they've made models of subjects from R-Type, Darius, Silpheed, Valken, Leynos, and others. I told him about this English-language forum dedicated to shmups and angry atheism and how you guys appreciate their models, and that made him happy. They're such a small company that they don't really have a way to market their products overseas really and thus they aren't really aware of who buys them in other countries.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Cool, thanks for the tip, I'll keep my eyes peeled for that kit. I'll have some photos to share of the Kotobukiya DOJ Type A later next week when the paint is done.
Sly Cherry Chunks

greg wrote:I was in Tokyo yesterday for the Miyazawa Model Event. It was mostly focused on anime figures, models, keychains, etc. I saw a great Darius fishmonster Figma of Iron Fossil. I stopped by Plum's table and talked with the company rep there. I told him how great it is that they've made models of subjects from R-Type, Darius, Silpheed, Valken, Leynos, and others. I told him about this English-language forum dedicated to shmups and angry atheism and how you guys appreciate their models, and that made him happy. They're such a small company that they don't really have a way to market their products overseas really and thus they aren't really aware of who buys them in other countries.
Plum teased their own Vic Viper at WonFest, any news on that greg??
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Some awesome shit from the recent wonder festival:

Last Resort:
Is it possible to buy the LR model still? It looks very nice indeed.
More Bromances = safer people
greg

Post by greg »

Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Plum teased their own Vic Viper at WonFest, any news on that greg??
You mean what was spotted at last summer's WonFes? That wasn't Plum, it was actually the Lord British ship, and it was a resin kit, not a typical polystyrene plastic kit. I forget the name of the company at the moment, but they are located in Shizuoka City somewhere. If you know for sure something about a Plum Vic Viper, I haven't heard about it yet!

I did ask the Plum guy about the Wings of Honneamise kits they had on display last summer at WonFes and he said they are hoping to have them for sale sometime this year.

I was talking with a Japanese modeler last week about those crappy Vic Viper Gradius models that came out eight or nine years ago. He said that the company, Atelier Sai, should have stuck to making anime figures. They got the license to the Vic Viper designs from Konami, rolled out a whole series of crappy-ass Vic Viper models, and pissed a fortune down their pant leg. The company went belly-up and is no more. He told me that their venture into plastic modeling is what helped kill the company. I did the best I could with my Sky Girls version for my level of skill at the time, but I'd like to challenge my Gradius III model someday with better skills and using putty to fill in the horrible gaps for a change.
Sly Cherry Chunks

^Sounds like you are talking about the RC Berg kits. I was refering to this one:

http://www.tomopop.com/wonder-festival- ... 7341.phtml
Gamer707b

Post by Gamer707b »

This and that about model ships is making me want them. I dont think my wife will appreciate this. I think she's heard plenty of,"but this game is special, rare and hard to find" many times. Im thinking she's not gonna buy into another collection. Lol.
Damocles

Post by Damocles »

I would kill for a R-9E or R-9E2 model kit. I know they're out there, but damned if I can find them.
MintyTheCat

Post by MintyTheCat »

MintyTheCat wrote:
Sly Cherry Chunks wrote:Some awesome shit from the recent wonder festival:

Last Resort:
Is it possible to buy the LR model still? It looks very nice indeed.
Waiting with bated breathe here - anyone know if it is still possible to buy this model? :P

I have a bit of an affection for Last-Resort :D
More Bromances = safer people
greg

Post by greg »

SCC, thanks for sharing! I was thinking of the RC Berg GKs. Wow! I can't wait to see Plum's Gradius kit! I follow Plum's various Twitter accounts and I did catch a reference to a Twinbee project in development about a month ago. I'd forgotten about that. If they're working with Konami licences, let's hope for more to come! I am impressed. Plum is a rather small company. I've been to their HQ and it's a small building. We just need to be patient and see what they unveil later.
Wooph

Post by Wooph »

I happen to come across a video today of someone who made an Einhander fighter from scratch. It looks really impressive.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm28654587
https://twitter.com/MpqacPZk8RJY4xf
Obiwanshinobi

Post by Obiwanshinobi »

Are there any models from Advance Wars commercially available?
The rear gate is closed down
The way out is cut off

greg

Post by greg »

You guys may be interested in knowing that I am currently working on the R-9A Arrowhead R-Type platic model by PLUM and that I am working to light it up with LEDs.

My write-up on Tumblr:
https://stevethefishdotnet.tumblr.com/p ... stic-model

YouTube videos uploaded so far:
Video 1
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fWdK1yVXKzs
Video 2
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-PbiquWsHvU
Video 3
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LfaQTit5NqA