-

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Cagar

Re: Ikaruga PC ver.

Post by Cagar »

Could it be that your laptop has a very shitty integrated and another gpu, and nulldc uses the better one by default and ikaruga port the other one?
Try right clicking ikaruga shortcut and see if you have "Run with graphics processor.." selection

EDIT: Really it's terrifying how laptop sellers don't point this out, many of my friends didn't know about this feature until i told them
Neptas

Post by Neptas »

trap15 wrote:An emulator requires at least somewhere in the ballpark of 10x the specs of the target machine. For 2D systems. For 3D systems it's far far greater, especially one as complex as the Dreamcast. And past that, the CPU on the DC is far more efficient, so the MHz are worth more than the same on a PC.

Bottom line: If your game runs better emulated rather than native, you're probably doing something terribly wrong.
Even with a 5 years old weak laptop, I never had any problem running any game with the DC emulator. 10x, more or less yeah, but it can't be compared like that, it really depends on how the emulator is working. nullDC is now pretty well optimized, and I don't think a computer now can't run DC games correctly.
Cagar wrote:Could it be that your laptop has a very shitty integrated and another gpu, and nulldc uses the better one by default and ikaruga port the other one?
Try right clicking ikaruga shortcut and see if you have "Run with graphics processor.." selection

EDIT: Really it's terrifying how laptop sellers don't point this out, many of my friends didn't know about this feature until i told them
This should be done carefully, it was the same on my laptop, you generally have the intel integrated GPU and the GPU card, but by default, the intel one is selected.

My laptop is 2 years old (and it's not a good laptop) and it runs the game very fine.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

neorocker wrote:If a game this old has "minimum requirement" specs higher than those used to emulate the game perfectly there's clearly something wrong with the port (although this seems to have been established) :lol:
Or they don't have computers that weak to test the game on. They can't go around listing low specifications if they can't say for sure if the game will run on them. This happened with platinum and the MGR port. It recommends an i5 minimum which is far more powerful then what an xbox or ps3 had. Turns out that was the slowest pc they had available to test on.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

So how does this version compareto the other versions of Ikaragoo out there?
This has one foot in the realm of opinion, but-

Naomi/Dreamcast > Steam > Gamecube > 360

360 is the only one i haven't actually played, but I've heard rumours to the effect that it has broken scoring and other annoying issues. The guy who used to run the Ikaruga score board here also called it "broke ass edition." Which I interpret as unequivocal proof..

Steam over Gamecube because when I played the latter there were some odd speed issues, the timing all seems to be a lot faster than the original, the graphics are actually worse- less crisp looking. I lack the technical confidence to point out the cause of this.
Also, sections that had slight slowdown on DC no longer have that. Can we really rule out the possibility Treasure leaving the slowdown in DC version on purpose?

The GC also had well documented issues such as the options on 1st boss being the wrong colour, and in my experience: the player gets control of the ship a few frames later after some of the WARNING screens- it has caused me to die before.
1cc List - Youtube - You emptylock my heart
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

The GC also had well documented issues such as the options on 1st boss being the wrong colour, and in my experience: the player gets control of the ship a few frames later after some of the WARNING screens- it has caused me to die before.
You're probably talking about the glitch where your missiles can't hit the main body. This only concerns the PAL version. The japanese GC version is pretty much perfect. The GC version is superior to the steam version in terms of the practice mode which let's you play different subchapters instead of having to play the entire chapter again and again.

Indeed the 360 version is fucked up. The options of the third midboss spin in the wrong direction and the bonus balls behave differently making the scores almost non-comparable to the other versions.

So it should more look like this:

Naomi = DC > GC NTSC = Steam > GC PAL > XBLA
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

Plasmo wrote:which let's you play different subchapters instead of having to play the entire chapter again and again.
THIS. Steam ver needs this.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Awesome, cheers Plasmo.

Is that just the bonus balls after Stage3 midboss?
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Blinge wrote:Is that just the bonus balls after Stage3 midboss?
Yes. I'm not sure if the steam version is based on this or the arcade version.
I like chocolate milk

ciox

Post by ciox »

Blinge wrote:Awesome, cheers Plasmo.

Is that just the bonus balls after Stage3 midboss?
Those enemies don't show up anywhere else so yeah. But it doesn't seem to matter if you actually look into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MoniJKCjY&t=10m52s <- SWY playing the Naomi version, score gained from balls is 740890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6Vzon4eoM&t=3m15s <- good XBLA player, score from balls is 706480
That's about 5%, and SWY seems to kill the midboss faster (as expected) spawning more bonus enemies.

The differences are honestly kind of overstated unless you're a top player, and even then it seems possible to adapt. Like another "huge glitch" in the XBLA ver is the second boss letting you shoot open its hatches during its intro which might let you kill the boss a few seconds faster, is 20,000 or 30,000 points a big deal?

I watched a replay of all 5 stages and just about everything looks right in the PC port i.e like the arcade/DC and not like XBLA, it's a pretty solid port as long as you ignore people saying this developer is competing with an emulation of their product from 12 years ago and their benchmark for performance should be NullDC instead of Steam hardware surveys.
Not to mention this port is just $10 where a new DC disc goes for at least 50.

Taking another look at the XBLA port it does have online coop and being very close to the original as far as scoring potential I don't think it's that bad, it just throws you a curve ball once in a while.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

I really don't rate the idea of online co-op for a game in which you need frame perfect input
ciox

Post by ciox »

Blinge wrote:I really don't rate the idea of online co-op for a game in which you need frame perfect input
Me neither, but a lot of people do, even for the average shooter a lag spike would be disastrous. They just play for fun and use up all the continues I guess.
hail good sir

Post by hail good sir »

ciox wrote: Those enemies don't show up anywhere else so yeah. But it doesn't seem to matter if you actually look into it.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8MoniJKCjY&t=10m52s <- SWY playing the Naomi version, score gained from balls is 740890
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iD6Vzon4eoM&t=3m15s <- good XBLA player, score from balls is 706480
That's about 5%, and SWY seems to kill the midboss faster (as expected) spawning more bonus enemies.
compare to this - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9A4zKfyFAIk

also in the 360 version both the stage 4 midbosses are harder to chain, but you can adapt, but stage 5 to my knowledge can't be chained to it's max due to the hitboxes on the big guys before the boss rush being too big. there are also other tiny variations in things.
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

Haha, okay, there are some new emoticons [or, people finally have them for sale]...

I've noticed they also FINALLY started previewing the emoticons as they'll actually appear in chat, some of which are VASTLY different from the Market icon [perhaps because they finally realized just reducing them looks like crap]:

:Ikaruga:
Image Image
:Shinra:
Image Image
:Kagari:
Image Image
: Pigeon: (???)
Image Image
:EnergyMax:
Image Image
:Warning:
Image Image

MOAR Backgrounds [oh snap and they full size them, too!--cfb]:

Ikaruga & Shinra

Kagari

Edit: oh hey there's a place that shows everything better [also previews of all the full card artwork] http://steamtradingcards.wikia.com/wiki/Ikaruga
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

ehh?
That last one doesn't look like Kagari =|
Mero

Post by Mero »

This is getting an update to sort out some bugs and change a few things.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/ikaruga ... 8629158767
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

For reference the pigeon thing is displayed when you dot-eat a stage, so I'm assuming that's what it's referencing.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
ciox

Post by ciox »

It's a reference to the Ikaruga ship since it means "spotted dove/pigeon", just about everything is named after a bird in this game IIRC.

Btw, there's something on the Treasure twitter about propagating the PC version's changes to Nesica, suggesting this edition might be the most accurate yet.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

That bird already appeared on the VMU for the DC version of Ikaruga and of course is this one: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Japanese_Grosbeak
I like chocolate milk

Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

ciox wrote:It's a reference to the Ikaruga ship since it means "spotted dove/pigeon", just about everything is named after a bird in this game IIRC.

Btw, there's something on the Treasure twitter about propagating the PC version's changes to Nesica, suggesting this edition might be the most accurate yet.
Duh! /facepalm

I totally knew that actually. Now I feel dumb.

Also if that's true that's quite interesting; I don't really want to buy another copy of this game, but I'm suddenly tempted to investigate the PC version a little more...
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Tigershark

Post by Tigershark »

5th page? Where's the love?

I'm loving the PC version and I have the DC original. HD in tate. Everything looks great. Using Radeon Pro which eliminates lag for me.

However, tha years have not been kind and I am far, far shitter than I remember I was! Oh well.

Still has the best "intro" of any shooter in my opinion. Beautiful, short and atmospheric.
spl

Post by spl »

It's a shame this is WIndows only. :( My DC won't ready discs properly anymore - I really wish the X360 version was accurate.
deexor

Post by deexor »

Another update - there's surprisingly active support for this release.

Updated (Build 260346)
9 MAY - TREASURE CO.,LTD.
DirectInput device support
Tweaked Analog stick
Fixed delay of drawing in some environments
Added 'QUALITY SETTINGS' in the 'VIDEO SETTINGS'
C1: Fixed battery placement for the second time "Ajisashi"
C2: Fixed some blocks had appeared on the screen suddenly
C5: Fixed the error shutdown after the result screen
Fixed some textures
Fixed minor bugs

アップデートしました(ビルド ID 260346)
DirectInput 形式のゲームパッド対応
アナログスティックを調整
一部の環境で描画にウェイトがかかっていた問題を修正
「VIDEO SETTINGS」内に「QUALITY SETTINGS」の項目を追加
C1、2回目の「鰺刺」(アジサシ)の砲台配置がずれていたのを修正
C2、地下シーンで一部ブロックが急に画面に出現していたのを修正
C5、ボス戦リザルト表示後にエラーで終了する場合があったのを修正
一部のエフェクト、テクスチャの修正
他、バグ修正など
GAME OVER
BazookaBen

Post by BazookaBen »

I guess this is a sign that it's making them some cash, otherwise I don't think they'd still be polishing it up like this. The dinput thing is a pretty big deal. Contrary to popular belief, there is still a significant chunk of players who don't use the 360 controller.

I'll report back on how it plays later.

EDIT: Played it, and it now I think we can say it's close to a full-fledged PC game. It has options for anti-aliasing and anisotropic filtering. So even at a lower resolution like 1440x1080 or 1600x1200, it can have virtually zero aliasing. And the D-input controls are fully mappable.

It even has an option to turn off trilinear filtering and lighting, which may help it run on netbooks or something, not sure about that though.

In the boot file, there seems to be an option to load the entire game onto your system memory. I guess that's to shorten load times, hopefully it stops those momentary stutters between levels too.

Lag from v-sync seems to be improved as well. It's still one or two frames compared to no v-sync, but it's much more playable. Hopefully they can improve it further, or maybe improve the frame-pacing with v-sync off. With v-sync off, even one partially dropped frame can cause the "tearing-line" to be in the middle of your screen. If you pause and alt-tab out, it can move it back to the edges.
Blinge

Post by Blinge »

Second this - Now my Madcatz stick works, and with no lag =D
mastermx

Post by mastermx »

I'm glad they patched the controls. I don't need to use Xpadder anymore with my TE Stick.
El_Spank

Post by El_Spank »

I guess I can drop x360ce.ini override now?

Did they patch the odd bonus chains vanishing in the clouds midway through stage 1?

Are there any other oddments to the Steam version I am missing. I don't miss the Gamecube training modes since I only ever had DC/Naomi versions.
~ Used to post here as Greng - Lost access to that email address :< Hi :))))
~ Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bepreying/
ciox

Post by ciox »

https://twitter.com/TreasureCoLtd/statu ... 3986538496
Steam "Ikaruga" Updated. Added Gallery, SoundTracks mode.
deexor

Post by deexor »

"More" details
--

Updated (Build 354142)

- Added 'APPENDIX' menu. Gallery and SoundTracks mode.
- Change title screen pictures to HD
- Chapter 1: Fixed slowdown of the scene after the chapter title.
(Change far objects to billboard, and speed up)
- Fixed minor bugs

アップデートしました(ビルド ID 354142)

- おまけメニュー(APPENDIX)追加。ギャラリー、サウンドモード。
- タイトル画面を高解像度化、調整
- Chapter 1 雲海上のシーンの高速化
- 他、バグ修正など

http://steamcommunity.com/games/ikaruga ... 0619655971
GAME OVER
El_Spank

Post by El_Spank »

(Change far objects to billboard, and speed up)

This is the most intriguing and ambiguous part of that update report.
~ Used to post here as Greng - Lost access to that email address :< Hi :))))
~ Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/bepreying/
ciox

Post by ciox »

El_Spank wrote:(Change far objects to billboard, and speed up)

This is the most intriguing and ambiguous part of that update report.
Not really, it means they made the enemy ships that fly far away in the background of stage 1 into 2d sprites.
The sky there also looks different to me, much thicker clouds and probably better.