Stunfest 2014 : Dates and Japanese guests !

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
KAG

Re: Stunfest 2014 : Dates and Japanese guests !

Post by KAG »

Plasmo wrote:KAG totally destroyed Mushihimesama Futari BL. Getting 800mill+ in Maniac like it's nothing.
Thank you Plasmo, but I'm really depressed with the score... so you may only see a list of "CAV" on the board xD
Well I don't have any equipment to practice this game for more than 1 year and now just coming back to play the sucked touhou 07 - the lag is suddenly unbearable.

May buy CRT-Monitor, XBOX and Joystick after moving to a new city.

Many thanks to @adversity1 and his colleagues for holding such an amazing festival, I'm looking forward to the next year!
Last edited by KAG on Mon May 05, 2014 10:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

KAG wrote:coming back to play the sucked touhou 07 - the lag is suddenly unbearable.
are you using the vsync patch?
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

KAG wrote:Thank you Plasmo, but I'm really depressed with the score... therefore you may only see a list of "CAV" xD

May buy CRT-Monitor, XBOX and Joystick after moving to a new city.
If you do find yourself with the ability to do so later on, perhaps you might consider posting a score into the high-score thread! 800mil+ is seriously impressive by our standards, but I can completely understand if you don't want to do so until you achieve a score you're satisfied with.
KAG

Post by KAG »

Bananamatic wrote:
KAG wrote:coming back to play the sucked touhou 07 - the lag is suddenly unbearable.
are you using the vsync patch?
already.
May judt because of the psychological effect - I heard that playing STG on CRT has less lag than LED many times. Not to mention, the machines there were really good.
HUmar

Post by HUmar »

Hey guys!

It was nice to meet you at Stunfest! You guys were awesome and this poor Battle Garegga didn't had a second to rest! :D
Thank you very much for coming there from all over Europe and I hope I'll see you again next year!
ptoing wrote:WTN also did a run of Tatsujin Oh on request of HUmar I think. I saw quite a bit of it, also quite some credits used, but nontheless very impressive display.
I have to correct this. SOF-WTN didn't played the game for two years and he was able to go to 2-2 on one credit, that was really impressive. He was really enjoying playing the game so he put some more credits but didn't managed to clear the second loop (he died a lot) and gave up.
endoKarb wrote:
Icarus wrote:
Plasmo wrote:And who was that AZG guy? He did a 37mill Dimahoo as his breakfast.
RZG? One of the French players, he was there last year.
That's BOS.

Innit.
No, BOS told me he didn't played Dimahoo. That score was made by WTN who played two or three credits on the game :D
BOS had a lot of questions about that run because WTN did a lot of things that made no sense at all.

About the Donpachi run, Yami has the .inp and is going to give it to me.
I just have a request : please, don't post a video of WTN's run on Youtube. He tried to told ptoing and me that he didn't wanted to be recorded. It would be bad to put it on the Internet against his will. It was not a good run and I understand easily it doesn't show the best of the man who is the WR owner. And if he finds out about that, maybe he'll be very disappointed.

However Plasmo, if he said to you it was OK, just forget everything I said :D
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Stunfest holds true to its name.

I've said this before, but I'll say again : I'm happy for every single one of you who came to Stunfest. This was an amazing event, and a special success for shmups. Expectations were exceeded, in fact.

Summaries already been written but I'll say, the one thing I'm always most happy to see is the number of shmup fans who show up and interact around cabs, demos or beer, also with a lot of new people attracted to the games on site. This was an international shmupmeet within such a strong event hosted in an appropriately classy environment and building. Then the games themselves played by our superGuests from Japan were all stunning in their own way. Everyone was impressed by the level of play well described and highlighted by commentators, and I believe many who hadn't heard about DDP, Ketsui or Ikaruga will now remember these games and what can be done with them, as well as those special moments of witnessing live superplay of them in Rennes.

It was a big job for us, and I really want to publicly thank Adversity1 and Erhune for all the huge work they have done to make this happen.

There are many more to thank for their work, commentators, the shmup.com team, James & his coworkers, the 3hitcombo staff...

To WTN, SPS and Hattori, a very big GG is in order. It is the quality of their play and skills that triggered reactions, applauses, and general attention and interest towards shoot'em ups, and seeing them mingle with players from Europe was a pleasure. I know their presence will be remembered, and they will remember.

I ended up being quite exhausted during most of the event and didn't play very much at all, anxious for everything to work out for the best, and it did, so I'm happy. Except for some things that didn't work out well in fact, like was said, that's too bad, but I think there was too so much load of things to make work and next time we can do better and there are always things that go wrong. Not cool for those who couldn't demo, but those who did made a good show too and that was great :)

I can't keep writting as I need to sleep. lol. Good night :p :p :p

prom
Last edited by PROMETHEUS on Thu May 08, 2014 1:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Even as someone who didn't attend, I want to thank everyone who made Stunfest possible. Love everything that comes out of these events. :)
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Blackbird

Post by Blackbird »

Sad I missed it, sounds like everyone had an incredible time. I will have to save up and try for next year, it's pretty tough to travel internationally when you're broke =P.
ALFARABI

Post by ALFARABI »

endoKarb wrote:Isn't RZG just Raizing? Like CAV in cave games.

but yeah thats BOS.
Right, RZG is for Raizing but unfortunatly it was not BOS who scored that
He was too exhausted on saturday night and he didńt play at all on sunday

But it was SOF WTN who scored it, for sure, BOS saw him playing
I had some problems to plug Dimahoo Cps2 pcb, that ´s why we plug it later on saturday evening

Anyway, SOF WTN found some time to play Tatsuji Oh on MAME , but personaly I did not have the time to watch it all, he manage to arrive to second loop...
Last edited by ALFARABI on Tue May 06, 2014 7:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Well that's two years of wishing I could have been there. Sounded like another amazing event, and glad it's becoming a thing already. I'll need to rearrange my visa trips to coincide with Stunfest next time around.

Thanks to everyone for the awesome feedback, moar pics!
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

Palgork

Post by Palgork »

KAG wrote:
Plasmo wrote:KAG totally destroyed Mushihimesama Futari BL. Getting 800mill+ in Maniac like it's nothing.
Thank you Plasmo, but I'm really depressed with the score... so you may only see a list of "CAV" on the board xD
If I remind me well, your best score at this Stunfest was 870M which is enough to take the 3rd place on the ranking of this forum, really a depressing score indeed ... :D

I think whoever is depressing is the owner of the PCB if he want to put a highscore himself on his PCB (In addition to your Maniac score, I put a 1.5B in Original and this PCB was used for NAK live run last year in God mode :D )
Smraedis

Post by Smraedis »

Hey everyone,

Just a short post to say thank you to everyone who organized this event, and everyone who made it a fun and great weekend.
I'll write a bigger post when I'm back home and awake, I'm just at spadgy's for a bit longer here.

Best event I've ever been to!
The Unknown? I'm the one who knows!
My shmup achievements | and my Superplays!
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

HUmar wrote:About the Donpachi run, Yami has the .inp and is going to give it to me.
I just have a request : please, don't post a video of WTN's run on Youtube. He tried to told ptoing and me that he didn't wanted to be recorded. It would be bad to put it on the Internet against his will. It was not a good run and I understand easily it doesn't show the best of the man who is the WR owner. And if he finds out about that, maybe he'll be very disappointed.

However Plasmo, if he said to you it was OK, just forget everything I said :D
I also have that input file (and the emulator that goes with it), along with a 55min video I recorded with my iPhone.
However, I recall adversity1 saying to me to not make a big thing out of this, nor broadcast it to everyone eg tweeting about it or publicly releasing it on YT (in case he gets into trouble for it for whatever reason), therefore the only person who'll be getting the footage will be Plasmo as it was Plasmo who requested WTN play Donpachi for us iirc, and Plasmo who requested I record the footage for him just in case.

The replay itself used 9+ credits to clear both loops, and isn't a great reflection of WTN's true capabilities, so it's understandable that he doesn't want it publicised. Nor would it be of any use to anyone outside of serious Donpachi players looking for nuggets of information for scoring routes using Type A.
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Nor would it be of any use to anyone outside of serious Donpachi players looking for nuggets of information for scoring routes using Type A.
This. It's basically useless if you're not really into the game.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
DEL

Post by DEL »

Just a couple more shots:

After 3 hours sleep on Sat night :D

The Dimahoo SCOARER & Spadgy & ptoing

Smraedis wrote;
Hey everyone,

Just a short post to say thank you to everyone who organized this event, and everyone who made it a fun and great weekend.
I'll write a bigger post when I'm back home and awake, I'm just at spadgy's for a bit longer here.

Best event I've ever been to!
Great G Darius run on the Cinema sized screen! 1 miss clear with a good score. Damn shame they didn't sort out the sound until the last stage. Loved the "Hi Mom!" shout-out :lol:
You've been responsible for me rinsing the G Darius ost this am:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=79WxiIR ... zz2HfQSyXL
Gemant

Post by Gemant »

About the Donpachi... after this stunfest someone know details from WTN about his actual WR? I speak about infos only (score after 1st loop, max hits, if capacity bonus is confirmed until 2-4) not about a possible video available.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Gemant wrote:About the Donpachi... after this stunfest someone know details from WTN about his actual WR? I speak about infos only (score after 1st loop, max hits, if capacity bonus is confirmed until 2-4) not about a possible video available.
Plasmo, CHI and adversity1 asked him a load of questions about the WR, and got some nice stuff from him - scoring maximums per stage, general strategy ideas etc. What surprised Plasmo and myself was the fact that he got the capacity bonus in 2-4, and didn't bother with it in 2-5 as the chains are worth a lot more than 10mil (or something to that effect, I couldn't quite hear what Plasmo was saying to me at the time as it was quite noisy). I think the score after the loop was 40mil+.

The best thing about all this was he was really accommodating about both the "interview" and the simple demonstration he did, which did a lot to dispel the myth of the "Donpachi Mafia" thing that's been going around. adversity1 even said to me that if we had a Donpachi PCB handy, we could have asked him to run it on that instead. The MAME setup had a pretty dodgy stick (according to Smraedis), so it is entirely possible the demo he did could have been much better, too, although it's no surprise that he was rusty given he hadn't played it in two years or something.

WTN's a really cool guy, seemed a bit shy but was really friendly when we talked to him about stuff. Shame I missed his demonstration of Tatsujin Ou which HUmar asked him to do, as I was out for dinner with a bunch of French players, DEL and CHI at the time.
olisan

Post by olisan »

Hi all!
Just to say that this was an excellent meeting; it was great to see an huge shmup community in the same places!

Down, a talk by Lerebours on shmup.com in English for you!
Mickey wrote:Voilà la version UK pour nos amis anglophones. Traduction par Lyv, relecture par Cormano. Merci à vous !

Stunfest 2014: A Glance at the Shoot'Em Up Market with Masaki Sakari

Just got back from Stunfest – tired, but my eyes filled with stars and my heart still burning from the fiery passion, from meeting countless cool people over a game, a bar-room table or a hotel hall. I won't inflict you with a full account of our journey. Suffice to say, those three days can be summed up as follows: Meet and Celebrate.

Even more important than the festival and its heat, I will remember the interview we had with Sakari-san (Bullet Soul Infinite Burst producer), John (event manager for Japan) and Olisan. What should have only been a small farewell talk evolved into an insightful discussion about shoot'em up games in Japan, and how producers such as him do their best so that the genre stays alive. And indeed, a matter of life and death it is.

It would be hard to write down everything that was said, but the gist of it is that small developers struggle to get big companies involved in shoot'em up games. It also means that the choice of Microsoft's console as a platform wasn't made out of thin air. Sakari-san stressed how hard it is for small structures such as his to get in touch with Sony, since the whole shoot'em up genre is deader than a doornail in their eyes. One could think that a service such as NESiCA, alongside with the consoles' online modes, could change the deal by targeting both the arcade and console markets at the same time, without having to cope with the high costs and barriers that come with PCB development. However, even market leaders such as Taito and Sega don't see it as a valuable opportunity, and they choose to focus on dedicated cabinets instead – much more attractive and profitable to their opinion, even more so with games that bait and hook players through loyalty benefits, customization options or just progress saves.

So, what's the point of setting up a Wasshoi in Europe given that the genre is so poorly regarded? For people who were there last year, the first edition was something absolutely incredible and most welcome, 10 years after the website's beginnings. But more than the hype created, the main thing was that the event's attendees took part in bringing back a glimmer of light that ran through land and sea to reach the office of a few high-level executives. Who? I couldn't tell, but Sakari-san let us know that the event was a test, even a message. The partnership with shoot'em up actors isn't a coincidence. Some could see in it just some Japanese marketing method, but they would be mistaken, since the goal is to promote the shmup genre in the West once again, and show to the big companies that it still attracts players abroad, so that they would be tempted to insert some more coin.

So yes, we did enjoy every moment of this wonderful event that was the 10th Stunfest. However, it's your turn to play now, and by "you", I don't mean (only) the experienced shmup enthusiast, I mean you, viewer, player, retrogamer or just reader. By supporting the latest shoot'em up productions, you give the whole genre some credit back. And if this doesn't happen, the fire will die out, the heat will cool off. I might overstate the point, but Sakari-san talked about opening up and reaching foreign countries. A bit like the 1978 Invaders, it seems.

Once again, all our thanks to Sakari-san, John, Hattori, SOF-WTN, SPS, to Treasure and Mages for the partnership, to the James Game Center crew (we couldn't have done it without you), to all the shmup enthusiasts that came from all over France, to our fellow foreign friends from shmups.system11 (who were even more passionate than I'd have thought), to the 3Hit Combo association, to all the volunteers and staff at Stunfest. And thanks to you, you who dropped by at the stand, you to whom we all may have transmitted our passion.

By Lerebours

Last edited by olisan on Tue May 06, 2014 4:49 pm, edited 1 time in total.
www.coinoplegacy.com
http://instagram.com/arcadeevents

Wishlist Arcade Cab cocktail Sega T-13 (just for fun)
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Icarus wrote:The best thing about all this was he was really accommodating about both the "interview" and the simple demonstration he did, which did a lot to dispel the myth of the "Donpachi Mafia" thing that's been going around.
sounds like something a member of the mafia would say
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

I know I'm an unknown here, but wanted to say: Stunfest was incredible, and the shmups area was my favourite part of the event. Seeing SPS 2-ALL Ketsui with a crowd roaring him on was something else. Plus Hattori's double play, and that Ikaruga playthrough on Saturday afternoon (Plasmo I think?)... just amazing.

Basically, it was cool to see an actual in-person shmup community, and I was inspired by the skills on show. Thanks to everyone! Now I need to practise for next year.
KAG

Post by KAG »

JackieHarris wrote:...and that Ikaruga playthrough on Saturday afternoon (Plasmo I think?)... just amazing.
I saw Plasmo's Ikaruga-Normal Mode demo with 28+M on Sat. morning, not sure in afternoon.
Palgork wrote:
KAG wrote:
If I remind me well, your best score at this Stunfest was 870M which is enough to take the 3rd place on the ranking of this forum, really a depressing score indeed ... :D
the 870M'run is not clear. I got 400M after Stage 2, but:(
zlk

Post by zlk »

Bananamatic wrote:
Icarus wrote:The best thing about all this was he was really accommodating about both the "interview" and the simple demonstration he did, which did a lot to dispel the myth of the "Donpachi Mafia" thing that's been going around.
So there is a video and inp that only certain people can see? I am not sure that is dispelling any myths at all. Just making everything EVEN more mysterious in my opinion.

On the positive side, I think its really cool the guy played ddp and he showed some very interesting tactics. I think it is also cool he answered questions there.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

zlk wrote:
Bananamatic wrote:
So there is a video and inp that only certain people can see? I am not sure that is dispelling any myths at all. Just making everything EVEN more mysterious in my opinion.

On the positive side, I think its really cool the guy played ddp and he showed some very interesting tactics. I think it is also cool he answered questions there.
The thing is that he said he did not wish to be recorded to me and HUmar when we asked him about it before the DP thing. It is very obvious he is out of practise when it comes to DP. But at the same time Plasmo will get enough info out of the replay to sit down and polish his DP play and I am sure he will put up a video of it at some point. But you still have to respect WTNs wishes of not putting up a replay which for his standards is very bad.
JackieHarris

Post by JackieHarris »

KAG wrote:
JackieHarris wrote:...and that Ikaruga playthrough on Saturday afternoon (Plasmo I think?)... just amazing.
I saw Plasmo's Ikaruga-Normal Mode demo with 28+M on Sat. morning, not sure in afternoon.
(
Yeah just checked - it was morning, my mistake. Either way, I was super impressed :o
zlk

Post by zlk »

ptoing wrote: The thing is that he said he did not wish to be recorded to me and HUmar when we asked him about it before the DP thing. It is very obvious he is out of practise when it comes to DP. But at the same time Plasmo will get enough info out of the replay to sit down and polish his DP play and I am sure he will put up a video of it at some point. But you still have to respect WTNs wishes of not putting up a replay which for his standards is very bad.
I completely respect his wishes and that is fine with me. If he doesn't want the footage shown, then that is his right and the footage shouldn't be shown.

I just wish someone, somewhere would release a world class replay of the game outside of Menoslug's excellent play. It would be nice to see over 60m with the A ship or over 50m with the C ship. Such videos have been captured but unfortunately never released publicly for whatever reason or as I have been told "for any amount of money" lol.

I was really glad we got to see WTN play ddp. There are some very interesting tactics he uses.
Erppo

Post by Erppo »

zlk wrote:I was really glad we got to see WTN play ddp. There are some very interesting tactics he uses.
This so much. I'm really happy that there's now a publicly available replay of the top level routes. Only thing that was left missing from both runs was the end of 2-5, but everything else is pretty well covered now. Unless there's still some way to fully chain 1-5, it doesn't look like his route would have allowed that.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Erppo wrote:
zlk wrote:I was really glad we got to see WTN play ddp. There are some very interesting tactics he uses.
This so much. I'm really happy that there's now a publicly available replay of the top level routes. Only thing that was left missing from both runs was the end of 2-5, but everything else is pretty well covered now. Unless there's still some way to fully chain 1-5, it doesn't look like his route would have allowed that.
I think he was saying he thinks that there is about 90m in DP and 775m in DDP. ATM he is working on DDP, trying to beat his WR. But he wants to get back to DP as well.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Erppo wrote:Unless there's still some way to fully chain 1-5, it doesn't look like his route would have allowed that.
On his second run, at around 25:49, it looked like he has mistimed the link between the last two big ships and the long tank on the left. It looks like the intention is to destroy the centre one first, then the left one, and then link that to the long tank, but in this run, he destroyed both of the big ships at the same time. If you note the section just after with the big missile launching ships was done perfectly, so it appears that you can do it, with a bit of precision.

I'm just speculating though, since I can't chain stage 5 for shit, but that's how I see it.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

He fucked the same thing up when he was playing when DDP was on a public cab (and that was actually his best run at SF with 638m or something like that). And he said that was where he fucked up, where he did not get the long bluegrey tank on the right side and it fucked up his chain.
zlk

Post by zlk »

Icarus wrote:
Erppo wrote:Unless there's still some way to fully chain 1-5, it doesn't look like his route would have allowed that.
On his second run, at around 25:49, it looked like he has mistimed the link between the last two big ships and the long tank on the left. It looks like the intention is to destroy the centre one first, then the left one, and then link that to the long tank, but in this run, he destroyed both of the big ships at the same time. If you note the section just after with the big missile launching ships was done perfectly, so it appears that you can do it, with a bit of precision.

I'm just speculating though, since I can't chain stage 5 for shit, but that's how I see it.
Doesn't zbl-nai show how to completely combo 1-5/2-5 in one of the tapes he released? I think it is on the DDP Professional tape or the rare C-S tape where he had some additional footage of the DDP campaign version. He shows how to do that section with the C-S ship but it is more a matter of timing things properly than using the wide shot advantage the c-s ship has. I would bet WTN can do it with A-L. It just isn't 100% consistent and is very hard to do.