Any Air Buster (Aero Blasters) fans?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
superhitachi4

Any Air Buster (Aero Blasters) fans?

Post by superhitachi4 »

Busted out my copy of Air Buster once again, and it seems even better. Haven't played it in a while, but it more than deserves the attention I'm giving it. :) I have the Genesis / Mega Drive version by the way. Any other fans?
adam76

Post by adam76 »

I used to love this game too mate-played down the arcade every bloody weekend! I've got the PCE, MD and MAME versions and while its still a hoot to play, i can't help but feel a bit gyped by levels 4+ 5 when the game loses the plot and decides to pit you against gravity itself. Cheers.
"What the hell kind of a two-bit operation are they running out of this treehouse, Cooper? I have seen some slip-shod, backwater burgs, but this place takes the cake."
Fighter17
Banned User

Post by Fighter17 »

I love the PCE version of the game. :)
kemical

Post by kemical »

Have this game for my TG16, used to piss me off quite a bit when I was younger, I like the music in it though.. want to get the PCB ver I think.
dpful

Post by dpful »

I love it
SheSaidDutch

Post by SheSaidDutch »

I love the 2nd level negoatiating through those tunnels 8)
LoneSage

Post by LoneSage »

I've got some strange love for Kaneko, and no matter how plain Air Buster is, I like it as well.
llaoyllakcuf

Post by llaoyllakcuf »

yep, I sure enjoy this game.

basic and straightforward, just the way I like it.

(and yeah, the funky gravity in phases 4-5 is a bitch)
ROBOTRON
Remembered

Post by ROBOTRON »

I love this game...I have Aeroblasters for my TG16, too.
Fight Like A Robot!
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

I love it..the music rocks...stage 2 is totally bad ass...I just love Kaneko shmups. 8)
system11

Post by system11 »

I never did finish this one. Nice graphics and music, fun to play. Great first boss battle (and tune) but it's a shame he's so easy to kill. Inertia stages are tough.
System11's random blog, with things - and stuff!
http://blog.system11.org
dpful

Post by dpful »

The ending is one of the best parts- it gets really intense
TWITCHDOCTOR

Post by TWITCHDOCTOR »

Yea, I've always liked it.
I own both the Genesis version as well as the Turbo Grafx-16...
I don't really have a preferance, but the Genny version is closer to the actual arcade PCB.

Plus, I always thought that the Genny version was easier to navigate through the anti gravity area's. Even though I simply push the ship against the left border of the screen constantly, for "control".
The "inertia" effect is greater in the Turbo version...if my memory serves me correctly.
Bydobasher

Post by Bydobasher »

It's the other way around, TWITCH -- in the Turbo version you only move one or two ship lengths when you tap a direction. For the PCB and the Genny, you just go like Pac-man from one side of the screen to the other.

Anyway, it's a great game, I've always loved it. It was, and remains, unique among the sidescrollers. It doesn't really remind me of any other shmup I've played, which is unusual. Plus it's colourful -- especially on Turbo -- it's got a few catchy tunes, and some interesting level designs.

I think I like the PCB best, but they're all fine to play. The Genesis port is a faithful one; the biggest difference is maybe that strange tableau you're presented between stages -- who are these people!? :lol: The Turbo port -- as with a number of other ports on the system -- is worthwhile precisely because it's such a different experience from the original.
Molloy

Post by Molloy »

Aero Busters and Raiden 1 were the two shmups that really hooked me on the genre. I think the game gets rather cheap after level 3 but I never got that far most of the time anyway.
Jon

Post by Jon »

Molloy wrote:Aero Busters and Raiden 1 were the two shmups that really hooked me on the genre. I think the game gets rather cheap after level 3 but I never got that far most of the time anyway.
Exactly why I could never get into it. After the first couple of levels the game always tends to hand me my ass on a platter. This would be just fine if there were other aspects of the game to draw me back but its a bit to ho-hum and vanilla in my opinion to keep me coming back again and again. I certainly don't think its bad by any means though. BTW my only experience is with the turbo version.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

I borrowed Air Buster for Genny from a friend about ten years ago and for a long time after that I wanted to get the cart for myself. I ended up getting Aero Blasters for the TG-16. Once, I finished it both times through within the five credits that it gives you. It's mostly level 6 that gets me. The "Out of Gravity" thing (or were they thinking air friction?) doesn't bother me too much, just gotta keep moving, even if it's in a tight circle.
tehkao

Post by tehkao »

BTW, that weird "tableau" between stages in the Genny version is supposedly the game decompressing data for the next stage. I forgot where I heard that info from, but it sounds pretty cool since I don't know of any other Genny game that actually does data decompression on the fly.
BAD

Post by BAD »

Yeah, I like it. it's a pretty cool game; the artwork is my favorite part. The backgrounds also look cool. I suck at it though...once I get to a certain part, I fall quick...
Turrican

Re: Any Air Buster (Aero Blasters) fans?

Post by Turrican »

Is the music in the MD Aero Blasters exactly the same as in the US localized version Air Buster?

These two videos do sound quite different to me, but maybe the uploader just used a different source (PCB, or HUcard...)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7_2XIlfR7AU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rrzE8env1FA
X - P - B
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Hmm, not sure, but I'd be happy to help spread the love. :)

Aero Blasters was my new game for the summer one year. I played it to the point where could get to the second loop every time (although I don't think I ever got a 1 life clear, curse the Death Circus).

Later I got to try the arcade version at the local mall, which took a bit of adjusting. Certain bosses have safe spots in the Turbo version that are not present in the arcade. I was able to adjust to the zero gravity change; for really tight dodging such as the stage 5 midboss hugging the edge helps (on the left side of the screen, tap up then tap left, only move up a little bit).
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Kollision

Post by Kollision »

Jeneki wrote:Aero Blasters was my new game for the summer one year. I played it to the point where could get to the second loop every time (although I don't think I ever got a 1 life clear, curse the Death Circus).
So the PC Engine version loops?
That's interesting, the MD port does not.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

Someone with a good emulator and the roms at hand should be able to quickly solve my doubt. I am a bit cautious since youtube isn't a reliable source at all, and I don't remember many cases of Megadrive games with an altered score for the overseas/europe/later version.
X - P - B
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

The one I have is the N.A. PCE version; I don't have the Japan PCE version but I doubt they'd be different. The second loop makes most popcorn enemies nearly unkillable. :shock:
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
ED-057

Post by ED-057 »

Turrican, the first video you linked has the music from the Genesis version. The second video is the PCB.
Turrican

Post by Turrican »

ED-057 wrote:Turrican, the first video you linked has the music from the Genesis version. The second video is the PCB.
Thank you. :) I suspected so, that would have been quite an accomplishment if it was on Genesis. Also, kudos to Tatsuya Watanabe, because this tune can't be erased from my brain!
X - P - B
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

If you activate the cool Easter Egg for the TurboGrsfx-16 version of Aero Blasters, you can listen to the cool BGM tunes without having to play through the actual stages. I'd have to give a thumbs up to Interstate for keeping the arcade-spec framerate at a silky-smooth 60fps. Not to mention breaking out the ol' Turbo Tap accessory + a 2nd Turbo pad (or Turbo stick for that more precise arcade joystick feel) if playing a heated co-op session.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
louisg

Post by louisg »

BTW, that weird "tableau" between stages in the Genny version is supposedly the game decompressing data for the next stage. I forgot where I heard that info from, but it sounds pretty cool since I don't know of any other Genny game that actually does data decompression on the fly.
I *think* Sonic level data is all compressed. There's also Out of This World. At least on SNES, it makes you wait while it loads-- it's probably decrunching graphics (my guess at least). I suspect compression was used more than we realize in these old games.
Humans, think about what you have done
Spyke

Post by Spyke »

Yeah I loved this game too on the old MegaDrive. Can't remember actually completing it though but enjoyed playing it.

Ant
Jp-chipped PS1 - PAL PS1 - PAL PS2 - Jp PS2 - Jp Saturn - PAL Xbox 360 - Jp Xbox 360 - Jp MD - PAL DC - Region-free DC - PS4 - PS3 Slim - PS TV - OSSC - Pi-3
Handhelds: 3DS-XL - DS-Lite - DSi XL - PSP 3003 - PS Vita
I want to eject...
greg

Post by greg »

So which is the better version to buy? PCE or MD? I have yet to get this game.
Undamned is the leading English-speaking expert on the consolized UD-CPS2 because he's the one who made it.