shmups.system11.org

Shmups Forum

* FAQ    * Search
 * Register  * Login 
It is currently Sun Dec 15, 2019 7:32 am View unanswered posts
View active topics

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26
 Post subject: Re: Where the Darius Love at?
PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:03 pm 

Am I the only one who actually likes the "Freedom" music? It's been my theme song along with "Sekai wa Hitotsu no Butai" from Project X Zone 2. I've been considering making AMVs with that "Freedom" song anyway, no matter how bad it is.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 1:10 pm 

No you're not the only one. I really like it and listen to it outside of the game every now and then.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 7:34 pm 

The vocal Freedom haters haven't realized the actual shitty track in the game is Dograce. I like Freedom myself but at least those who dislike it only have to hear it once in the very first CS mission's first stage and never listen to it again. Dograce is another story.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 10:17 pm 

I love Dariusburst CS for a lot of the reasons ACSeraph mentioned, and can easily recommend it if you have even a passing interest in the series, A Skeleton. It's a hugely customisable experience from which you can take or leave whatever you want, but at the heart of it is a rich, tactical gameplay system that rewards thoughtful experimentation with each ship's unique capabilities (which themselves explode what could otherwise be fairly pedestrian scoring mechanics), and it's capped off with one of the most satisfying and addictive methods of dispatching bosses there's ever been - the Burst Counter! I wrote a little about getting into the game here (with a link to an official guide) if you do decide to go for it. :)

If I were to make one criticism of it, and I am loath to, it's that its art direction isn't up to all that much. This is forgivable, especially considering the material conditions of its production (it's essentially souped up from a PSP game), and the boss designs are all incredible, but its 'world' is for the most part a whole lotta nothing, in fairly stark contrast with the other main entries in the series*, which are often bizarre and thrilling visual experiences with a strong sense of place. Thankfully, the soundtrack does a lot of the heavy lifting for it on this front.

*Actually, the strongest scenes come when it's directly calling back to the original Darius, IMO.

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Mon Nov 11, 2019 11:06 pm 

Klatrymadon wrote:
If I were to make one criticism of it, and I am loath to, it's that its art direction isn't up to all that much.

This x100

If Burst had more mysterious planetary stages like the earlier games it would probably lift it into the best in series position for me. The backgrounds just don't feel like Darius, they have more of a poor man's Gradius vibe. I really loved the new stage that opens CS mode as it's much more "Darius", but unfortunately it wasn't really a sign of things to come in the mode.Could you imagine Burst with G Darius level art direction? That would be some god tier gaming.

Also... I'm really feeling the Darius love right now with 3 different Darius topics on the front page :)

Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:51 am 

They've made it impossible to pull off Burst Counters for me when I use the Legend for some reason...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:12 pm 

ACSeraph wrote:
Could you imagine Burst with G Darius level art direction? That would be some god tier gaming.

Man, that would be the perfect Darius game. Burst really shows how it was originally a much less ambitious than its predecessors PSP game with copy-pastable and cheap space-themed environments made with mission/challenge design in mind rather than the very specific setpieces from G-Darius that you can't reuse forever. Man, if only Burst had the same kind of attention to detail to the way the boss fights were framed and introduced.

And speaking of G-Darius bosses, here's some love from me in the form of a few fanarts I've done in the past few months:
Queen Fossil : https://i.imgur.com/i2zBrby.png
Eclipse Eye : https://i.imgur.com/DJqhJ1z.png
Dimension Diver : https://i.imgur.com/xDgy4uE.png
Great Thing : https://i.imgur.com/eaSKZ7P.png

-----

xxx1993 : have you tried the Side Counter? It's triggered by entering in an already active Burst beam while toggling yours as well. The timing still needs to be nailed correctly but you have a lot more control over when you get in rather than having to use the audiovisual cues from the boss even if you're not ready yet.

Remote Weapon GunFencer - My shmup project

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 2:58 pm 

I don’t think I tried it...

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2019 11:42 pm 

@xxx1993

I just posted a quick explanation of the side counter in the main DBCS thread you can check out.

---

Since it came up let's talk about G Darius. It is my most shameful confession that this is the only game in the series I've never cleared. It looks and sounds like Darius, but doesn't really feel like Darius, so it's like my general series skill level just doesn't transfer over.

That said I really like it and I want to clear it. Give me tips. What's the easiest baby course? I don't want to worry about score yet, I want the path of least resistance.

Image Image

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Wed Nov 13, 2019 4:22 am 

I'm not much of a fan of G-Darius either. I think it was a massive downgrade in just about every way from everything the series had been improving towards with Gaiden. The reason it doesn't feel like Darius is because, in a series known for satisfying game-long power-up systems, the ship weaponry in G-Darius are underpowered and leave you feeling like you're using a peashooter throughout nearly the entire game. They really, really wanted you to rely on the firepower from captured enemies and memorizing all the right moments to launch a laser attack.

That said, the easiest route depends on which version of the game you're playing. I think Lightning Coronatus is for sure the easiest boss on the console releases, but it's massively more difficult in arcade v2 where's it's probably more of a tossup between it and Accordian Hazard. Zone Eta is the easiest of stage 4 choices because Fire Fossil is essentially similar enough to Queen Fossil that most of your strategies work the same. The giant fish stages play out pretty much exactly the same every time once you figure out how to tackle them (i.e., memorize the right times to fire off lasers).

Offline Profile  

PostPosted: Sat Nov 16, 2019 1:36 am 

Does anyone have or know the list of issues there are with the port of Darius Gaiden on Switch without the patch applied?
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?

Offline Profile  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 761 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26