Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
ACSeraph

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by ACSeraph »

PedroMD wrote:
Also unrelated Darius Burst question: What exactly are the controls for maneuvering your laser? Half the time it doesn't spin the direction I'm expecting when I try to move it. Is it different between the ships? A highly detailed "Lasering for Dummies" explanation would be vastly appreciated.
IIRC, it will simply spin towards your ship. The direction in which it will rotate is probably the one of the smallest angle between your ship and the laser.
OHHHHHHH!

That makes sense. Knowing that will make it a lot easier to tackle the more difficult courses. Thanks a lot!
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Xyga wrote:I've had a fun experience with Saturn Darius II and the DVDO iScan VP30: full size/screen gameplay ! :D
(plus that was with an XRGB in-between so it looked really awesome)

Some tvs might be able to do this without the help of an external scaler, just check if yours got some zoom options somewhere in the menus.
I'd love to see a pic of that, to be suitably jealous. It sucks that I can't enjoy Darius II in glorious full size.
ACSeraph wrote: Well at about half screen at 1/10 youll fire a consistent stream of shots, but when you are forced further towards the back of the screen there starts to be a very noticable gap between streams of shots that can easily get you killed when shit is rushing right at your face (read: always). If the autofire doubles the shot limit it would cause that gap to disappear, making the whole thing a helluva lot easier. When I played it at the arcade they had it set up with an autofire button, so the basic in game autofire options are legit I think.

I'll definitely try out that suggested course, if of course I can ever learn to no-miss stage 2. Probably I'll either grind stage 2 using stage select or play using save states in MAME for a bit to get it down. How much harder does it get compared to stage 2, because theres like what, 7-8 stages? So if it gets exponentially harder with every stage the game may just straight up be impossible at my current skill level.
Memorization for stage two is key - vaguely knowing when and where turrets and rocket-spewing things are. Also, killing Green Coronatus as quickly as possible (or just letting it go without getting killed). The first half of Zone B is really tricky, but the level lightens up and opens up physically later on, making it far more manageable.

The next two zones after that are fairly easy (except for Zone D, which is really tricky with suicide-bullets - you have to know when NOT to fire). Zone E is very easy, with only a few rough spots, and all of the Moon zones are rather straight-forward, with a very easy boss to boot. Earth gives you a run for your money and Mars is an extremely dense and unforgiving level. Jupiter on all accounts is brutal if you are not fully powered-up, and even then it's no picnic.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

Huge DB 404s. I guess the site's died a second death.
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

EmperorIng wrote:@Sinful: if there's a safe-spot, screen-cap it! I'd love to see it!

K, I'm slightly having doubts on this safe spot. Worried if some random factors are at play or it just that hard to line up? As last time I played Easy mode it wasn't until I had zero lives left that it finally worked. Next time I got there I found somthing shocking, and where I realized Easy mode in the Arcade may give you more powerups + would explain why there are less in PC-Engine version Easy mode? Cause when I got to Fatty Glutton I had the mighty Wave Beam and it just toasted him in no time flat to fully test out the safe spot properly again. So off I went to Normal difficulty, and yep, less powerups. So no Wave for Fatty this time ever being possible (maybe with one route it may be possible? But that's no answer). And also, this time when I got to Fatty on normal I made a state save again to more fully test it on normal too, and I seemed to have more trouble? Even if I got it to last until the time out cubes, eventually they would get me when usually the're supposed to pass by or eat missile. But luckily I realized an alternative too taking out Fatty in one of my playthroughs (might of been that one?). It's really one of those that hit me pretty fast like a lightbulb all of a sudden went off in my head & slightly bassed off my supposed safe spot.

But first the supposed safe spot; right in the middle and all the way back, lol. Basically line up you lazer shot with the top or tip of the circle (while being in or out of the circle? Hard to tell) that's part of the background and keep repeating over and over, one after another. Like a pixel higher or lower or so around there. Just mess around. I did save a pic of last time I beat him with it working & right after I beat the boss with it, but it might of been on Easy and it might not be the same as Normal? I can get it again for you if you want. But I got something better for that Fatty for you to try and still requires some skill so it don't outright feel like cheating too. ... Even if that Fatty Gluton deserves nothing less then cheating. :lol:

Basically forget about where Fatty is and always try to place youself in front of his still in one piece shot before it splits (don't even have to hit it, as I mostly miss anyways with the tiny lazer I got, and because they split within close proximity anyways on their own). Once it splits don't move a muscle, as chances are good they'll miss as long as you don't re-adjust position. You don't always have to be dead center either, and sometimes can be pretty way off. But as long as you freeze before they start to split or during it, it'll miss you. But the more off you are, the more you seem at risk of being clipped it seems? Only problem is you will get the time out cubes. So to prevent the amount of time in time out cube zone (which is manageable for a bit), at the start don't stay all the way in the back and somewhat close to Fatty so you can get more Lazer shots off. Thanks to less bullet travel till of screen or point blank shots. And slowly back up bit by bit as his shots kinda fore you back bit by bit. Yeah, kinda contradicts what I said about not moving, but if you lined up pretty close to the center of his shot, backing up is fine + gives you more error room. So yeah, sorry I couldn't explain this in fewer words. Have fun. Cause the sooner you get that wave, the better for them last levels it seems, especially in tight areas thanks to through walls wave ability. ... Just got to learn not to bounce of walls with the Gold shield now and this 1cc is in the bag (unless I run into another Fatty Glutton boss), cause that wave beam just murders everything.

@ACSeraph; will reply in next post. This one is just too massive. Please don't feel left out. I really want to reply to you too. But left EmperorIng hang for too long for my reply. Especially when I had this info on me I just discovered. And he suffered Fatty Gluton pain for too long too. Most impotantly.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

In honour of this thread (and now I'm back in the vicinity of it) I will venture out today to see if DariusBurst is still in the local arcade. If not, I'll be crying all the way home. :(
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

^ Godspeed man!

Beat the shit out of that bastard Mirage Castle for me while you're there.

I really want to head up to the city to play this weekend, but it's like a 2 hours drive...
royalfan84

Post by royalfan84 »

I've got some Darius Love.

I just bought Taito Legends 2 the other day and have been playing Gaiden and G quite a bit. Certainly unique. The soundtrack is eerie and the sound effects are odd at times; really cool stuff. I think thus far I like Gaiden slightly better but I've also spent a little more time on it. Although Gaiden is older than G I think I actually appreciate the style and design slightly more; again I've spent more time on it though.

I like the gameplay of both quite a bit...it doesn't get much better than reeling in mechanical fish and spaceships to join or battling gigantic psuedo-organisms for long periods of time in a sci-fi setting. I am feeling a bit overwhelmed at times by all the different things flying at me throughout the mid and later stages...the boss battles are actually a bit less chaotic and easier for me. Still....not without a few cheap deaths.
My 7 and 8 year old boys are enjoying the games as well on co-op. It's right up their alley- catching fish, flying spaceships, and blowing stuff up.

Much Darius Love.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

K, was playing the Old Japanese version of Darius 1, and it really took me awhile to reach Fatty on Normal this time? But I think it's just cause my vision was still too blurry from waking up from a way to long afternoon nap (double shots looked like single most of the time) or me just sucking way too much all of a sudden? But when I got to Fatty, I started without the safe spot, but after awhile I shorta ended in it and felt that it would work. Even the time out cubes didn't nail me. So I grabbed a pic of me firing my lazer against the top of them circles I use for reference in the background during Fatty's death animation. But for some reason PhotoBucket changed how to upload photos now (us have to use email/phome or some BS now, what?! Screw this wasting my time crap), so I just uploaded it on the Gradius Forum, here; http://www.gamestone.co.uk/gradius/foru ... #post34897
ACSeraph wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:Probably I'll either grind stage 2 using stage select or play using save states in MAME for a bit to get it down. How much harder does it get compared to stage 2, because theres like what, 7-8 stages? So if it gets exponentially harder with every stage the game may just straight up be impossible at my current skill level.
So you'd rather use state saves then play Easy difficulty setting?! :shock: Heck, I just found out I didn't even need to use state saves for Fatty testing, since you can continue right at the boss as much as you want (but I found after continuing on a Boss, they like all of a sudden become super weak and go down almost instantly. So you have to give that life up for proper testing/practice), but I still feel dirty. :(

K, listen to this. I switched to Normal to see if I could get past that second stage without dieing after only having played Darius 2 on Easy. And guess what, I got it on my second try (the first I very stupidly nicked a wall, lol). And I have zero frustration levels to report from playing Darius 2 also. :D But if I would of started with normal maybe that would of been a different case with this no death game (in part one dieing can still be fine at least)? Cause restarting over from level one after every death way too often is a sure thing to drive one nuts (especially when not even getting past level 1) + a great sign to switch to Easy for at least just a little while to develop a much better feel for the game with a tad less stress & repetition. And when you get to Normal, you'll probably not even notice a difference. Hence you're pratice for when going to the Arcade centre to play Darius 2 won't be wasted at all.

I'm already in the process of switching to Normal difficuty in the home ports even though I haven't 1cc'ed them yet or close too cause I feel at least the home ports are getting way to easy/boring now on Easy. And may very well do so too for at least Darius 1 Arcade since after a couple of playthroughs of testing Fatty Gluton on Normal so far? So see, I'm stress free, even more into Darius, and the replay value I've gotten out of these games in these past few days is huge. It's all win win. Why I'm blabering none stop about it, lol. If it was for the worse, I'd warn you. Trust me. I like everyone to get the most out of their games. Always.

But for morst games I for sure can see Easy not being an option. ie. All Cave games don't feel right at all below normal. You just have to figure it out on your own when it's time & it seeming right to play easy. Cause you have to be carefull as playing some games on easy first can really do more harm then good.

Another thing I love to do with my fave games is that after I master normal, I like to move to the next difficulty in order one after another as I master them one by one at my own pace instead of going to the hardest ASAP. Like most seem to do for some reason? But I think it's wrong cause it really kills the replay value & fun I find.
Xyga

Post by Xyga »

ACSeraph wrote:
Xyga wrote:I've had a fun experience with Saturn Darius II and the DVDO iScan VP30: full size/screen gameplay ! :D
(plus that was with an XRGB in-between so it looked really awesome)

Some tvs might be able to do this without the help of an external scaler, just check if yours got some zoom options somewhere in the menus.
Yeah that's how I've been playing it on my HDTV actually, just zoom in and it fills most of the screen except for a small border at the top and bottom. It's awesome! Unfortunately though they put the score/lives/weapons info at the very top so I can't see them when it's zoomed, but that info isn't really all that important to play it.
Don't know if you noticed but you can move down the score/lives/weapons info witht he D-pad when the game is paused.
To eliminate the small borders I apply some vertical zooming on the vp30, which doesn't even mess up the scanlines alignment.
Strikers1945guy wrote:"Do we....eat chicken balls?!"
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Xyga wrote:Don't know if you noticed but you can move down the score/lives/weapons info witht he D-pad when the game is paused.
Whaaaaaat!? I love you so much for telling me that.
Sinful wrote:So you'd rather use state saves then play Easy difficulty setting?! :shock: ...Cause restarting over from level one after every death way too often is a sure thing to drive one nuts
Exactly, that's why I use them.

I don't consider save states illegitimate at all, it's just practice, and my goal is to learn to get through the entire game on a credit at the arcade in the most efficient way possible. For me save states are the best way.

Easy mode is kind of unrelated, it's more an issue of that not being my goal. I have no interest in learning it. And if I was interested in learning it, I'd probly still use save states to keep the process efficient if the need arose.

I think our fundamental goals are somewhat different actually. Yours seems to be getting the most mileage out of the game which naturally means playing without states is better, and also starting at easy makes sense. But my goal is to quickly learn a survival route for use at the arcade, so it requires a different approach I think. I already have more shmups I want to play through than is reasonably possible to do, so I don't want to spend needless time playing through early stages hundreds of time to get one more chance at the 5 second segment that kills me. I gots a jerb man! Aint nobody got time for dat!
royalfan84 wrote:I've got some Darius Love.
Welcome brother!

I never though about it like that before but you are totally right, it's like you are reeling in the fish when you capture them in G Darius. Also I agree with you, G is awesome, but Gaiden has a better feel graphically. I think it's because 2D stands the test of time better than PS1 era 3D.

Just realized Darius Twin was on the Wii VC last night so I picked it up. Love it, the fact that (like Burst) you don't lose your weapons at death is vastly appreciated. Seems easy after all the Darius II lately, but I love the visuals and that Megaman X music it has going on. I'd like to get Force too, but it's not on the VC as far as I can tell, and I don't have access to a super-fami at the moment.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ACSeraph wrote:^ Godspeed man!

Beat the shit out of that bastard Mirage Castle for me while you're there.
Well it's still there, except they moved it next to all the music games and when I plug in headphones I don't get any of the effects audio. Have a crushing headache now.

Mirage Castle or Phantom Castle? I think Mirage is in Chronicle mode iirc.

Phantom Castle on F is a complete dick after he sheds his armour. :x
Does anyone have a reliable strat for dodging his relentless sets of red homing lasers? I rarely escape without getting pinged by them, and everything else I can handle. Annoying F is really short, feeds you a ton of shields and power ups, mainly because it knows you're going to get imminently pwned by the damn blowfish.

Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Man, I like literally played Darius 1 all afternoon non-stop. Still avoiding Extra version (bosses too easy, but levels seem harder past middle maybe? So still good for later) and playing all the other versions on Normal, cause I gots to get better at handling Fatty Gluton with the Lazer. Only thing that don't make the safe spot work is when shots come from above. So getting in front of all shots above the middle of screen and never going bellowe the middle of screen seems to be the answer = this increases my chances of getting hits in as opposed to also going below the middle of the screen too. I managed to beat him twice this way today (once on first try, so yay Wave Beam of glory. And the next playthrough on my second try... no Wave Beam. Just an earlier death >_<). Last time I got to him just now I totally failed. And I found out the Japanese version don't have continues, so no further pratice even... that Fatty is just counter attacking me with head games now. >_< But this is the best way I can come up with, and seems good enough, since he's at least now possible to beat. 1cc shouldn't be too far now... but if it don't happen too soon, I may shift focus to part II as to not wear out part 1 too much? Haven't touched the home ports of 1 much either. Fatty is all that's on my mind. But maybe I should?

My game for Darius 1 Arcade also improved after I switched from my PC monitor and onto my 50" TV. Can't believe I haven't done this sooner, cause no more squinting needed when eyes get tired & blurry. Plus that Lobster's shots don't hipnotize as much now either. All I need now is to hook up a subwoofer seat + decent Arcade Stick and I got the Arcade experience at home.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sinful wrote:And I found out the Japanese version don't have continues, so no further pratice even...
Save state? :P
Sinful wrote:My game for Darius 1 Arcade also improved after I switched from my PC monitor and onto my 50" TV. Can't believe I haven't done this sooner, cause no more squinting needed when eyes get tired & blurry. Plus that Lobster's shots don't hipnotize as much now either. All I need now is to hook up a subwoofer seat + decent Arcade Stick and I got the Arcade experience at home.
Close but not quite, you got to have a chair that rumbles every time shit goes down to get the true arcade feel. Darius at the arcade feels like a shmup turned into a theme park ride. I hope you get to play it at some point, it's so awesome!

I really wish I could play Darius 1 more at the arcade because it really spoke to me, but unfortunately those kinds of classic games are impossible to find in my area of Japan, so I can only play when I go to Tokyo. But at least we have Burst! 2 hour drive away... :(
Skykid wrote:Mirage Castle or Phantom Castle? I think Mirage is in Chronicle mode iirc.
Oh? Didn't realize the name was different in the arcade version. That blowfish really overstays his welcome. Phantom sounds like it has different attacks than Mirage, and my experience with the arcade version is fairly limited, so I can't offer much in the way of strategy. I plan to go up there and spend a day with it soon though.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

ACSeraph wrote:
Sinful wrote:And I found out the Japanese version don't have continues, so no further pratice even...
Save state? :P
Turns out I didn't need the extra practice. The Darius 1 1cc (which turned into a less impressive no miss run) is now complete since yerterday. So double :P :P back at you. :D ... I got that Fatty Gluton fight down just right with that last tactic I mentioned. Next is Darius 2 and/or maybe some other routes I'm not familiar with at all in Darius 1? (Only did all upper levels)
ACSeraph wrote:I hope you get to play it at some point, it's so awesome!
Yeah, when I one day book a trip to Japan (the promised land of gaming) is most likely the day it'll happen. You're lucky. >_< .... If anyone knows a Darius Arcade game in Toronto, Ontario, Canada, let me know. Heck, anywhere in Ontario might even be fine? But if it's not in Toronto, I doubt it's anyhwere else? Got to check at bottom of the Tower in Niagara Falls still has that massive Aracde center downstairs next time I go there this mid December too.

I also wonder is anyone here has multiscreen Darius 1 and/or 2 PCBs here? If I collected PCBs, I'd start with these.

@ACSeraph; hey, which Darius 2 Arcade you have access to, the 2 or 3 screen one? And I think only the 3 screen one that uses mirrors to get rid of the gaps by careful mirror lining up have no gaps. So Darius 2 with 2 screen has a gap in middle then, right? (Due to no mirror use. But MAME has an option to remove it, thankfully) And if you do have the 2 screen one, I thought they were much more rare?
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Sinful wrote:Turns out I didn't need the extra practice. The Darius 1 1cc (which turned into a less impressive no miss run) is now complete since yerterday. So double :P :P back at you.
Very very nice. My time with Darius 1 is extremely limited (basically 1 hour at Kawasaki Warehouse) but from what I played it's obvious that game doesn't take any shit. Major congrats on the clear!
Sinful wrote:@ACSeraph; hey, which Darius 2 Arcade you have access to, the 2 or 3 screen one? And I think only the 3 screen one that uses mirrors to get rid of the gaps by careful mirror lining up have no gaps. So Darius 2 with 2 screen has a gap in middle then, right? (Due to no mirror use. But MAME has an option to remove it, thankfully) And if you do have the 2 screen one, I thought they were much more rare?
Well I'm mostly playing it on Saturn at the moment. The arcade I'm talking about is in Akihabara Tokyo, Taito Hey Arcade. Most guys on here who are in Tokyo would know it I think. I only get to go down there a few times a year unfortunately.

Anyhow the machine I refer to there is unique. Its the two screen version running on massive projectors rather than a screen. There's no gap between them. You kind of just have to see it in person to understand how awesome it is. Next time I go I'll get pictures of it.

I'm sure I could find the standard versions if I looked around though.
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Stop making me envy your mad "I live in Japan" skills! ... So now I need to invest in a projector? Yeah right. I just gotta make sure I get to Japan one of these days, and sooner.

Yeah, Darius 1 seem like a pretty hard game at first. Still is with it's slight random factor due to where you are on the screen affecting the hight & width of where enemies enter the screen (I consider this factor a big bonus to the game). Getting past the crappy Lazer weapon and onto the uber powerful Wave weapon made things much easier since I didn't really need much practice for the later levels at all. And the other bosses were only tricky cause you kinda have to wing it eveytime, but very manageable.

And you can still practice later levels & bosses to a good extent due to not losing all powerups once you reach a new weapon level. Unlike part two where you lose it all.

So, how's your progress in part II? This sure does seem much tougher comparing both Arcade games... But either way, what other Darius games you playing? I tried me some G Darius yesturday, and it has the first games weapons & powerup style. But you still get extra firepower from captured enemies to make it more on Darius II amount of firepower.
EmperorIng wrote:*snip*
Hey, where'd you go? Did you manage to beat Fatty Gluton via Lazer with my latest tactic yet? I need updates!
Mortificator wrote:Huge DB 404s. I guess the site's died a second death.
Is this site coming back on again? I'm really sad now I didn't back it up the first day I added it to faves just a few days ago, cause like the next day it went off. There really ain't like no other Darius site or worthy reading out there at all. :cry:
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Hell yeah, just got my 1cc of the second Darius Burst course (ABDFI) and sent Thousand Knives to the grave :twisted: 2 more to go...
Sinful wrote:So, how's your progress in part II? This sure does seem much tougher comparing both Arcade games... But either way, what other Darius games you playing?
Not as good as my Burst progress for sure. I only practiced one evening this week, and I more or less have stage 2 down, but I still die regularly in it due to random mistakes. It's mostly the part right around the middle where you have the seahorse, the blue missile tank and a shitload of turrets all unloading on you at once that gets me. The boss I more of less have down at this point. I think I will be able to get through stage 3 pretty easily, not so sure about 4. The game seems to get a lot easier once you finally get the second laser upgrade. That impossible recovery though... such a huge design flaw.
Captain

Post by Captain »

ACSeraph wrote:
Anyhow the machine I refer to there is unique. Its the two screen version running on massive projectors rather than a screen. There's no gap between them. You kind of just have to see it in person to understand how awesome it is.
A.... :oops:
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

GradiusuiraD wrote:
ACSeraph wrote:
Anyhow the machine I refer to there is unique. Its the two screen version running on massive projectors rather than a screen. There's no gap between them. You kind of just have to see it in person to understand how awesome it is.
A.... :oops:
A? :?
Sinful

Post by Sinful »

Alright on that Darius Burst 1cc. I should give this another shot today. But, how about some details. Here or in the 1cc thread (where I posted my details on Darius 1). And I like to bounce between games in one series a bit too to help ease with the restart syndrone a bit by not making it feel as repetative/help keep things fresh.

Yeah, furthest I made it in Darius II was stage 4 upper path (sticking to upper again. Seems easiest to me again too). Died really fast at the stage 4 start without shield, though (even forgot what it looks like?). Haven't made it there since. Been dieing everywhere, even stage 1 the odd time. :oops: For that second stage, yeah, during the first tunnel part with that mid boss is where it's the trickiest. Usually end with no shield ASAP, but if I can make though that first tunnel even without shield, I usually survive until the next shield before the boss.

Hmm, I'm starting to wonder if I'll get as addicted to part II as I did with part 1? You know, where I hit an entire day of just mostly that game. Which if it happens, it should happen when I start smelling victory is pretty close...
Captain

Post by Captain »

this is so fitting.
In search of great justice, sailing on a sea of stars.
Image Image
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Think I have Mirage Castle's pufferfish pegged: just go for glory and reverse the burst laser and get it right first time! Cuts him down real quick. Beat him twice today and made it to Dark Helios each time. I think I'm more likely to finish this route before J, which is ridiculously tough for the middle of the scale. It's tough just to make it through J, let alone take out the boss.

Want to know what's really annoying? When a girl in the arcade starts a four player novice game (infinite lives) with no-one to play with, has no idea what she's doing, excitedly invites me to join in and help, and then gets dragged away by a friend leaving me with four ships constantly dying and a boss with the highest possible resilience grade who takes a full fifteen minutes try and kill with one underpowered ship.

All this before I get one proper go.

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

Skykid wrote:Think I have Mirage Castle's pufferfish pegged: just go for glory and reverse the burst laser and get it right first time! Cuts him down real quick. Beat him twice today and made it to Dark Helios each time. I think I'm more likely to finish this route before J, which is ridiculously tough for the middle of the scale. It's tough just to make it through J, let alone take out the boss.

Want to know what's really annoying? When a girl in the arcade starts a four player novice game (infinite lives) with no-one to play with, has no idea what she's doing, excitedly invites me to join in and help, and then gets dragged away by a friend leaving me with four ships constantly dying and a boss with the highest possible resilience grade who takes a full fifteen minutes try and kill with one underpowered ship.

All this before I get one proper go.
That's hilarious actually, I didn't even realize it had a mode like that.

I've got Mirage Castle down on the PSP version here pretty well too, though I usually kill it before it lasers. Next can really tear through stuff because of the homing missiles. Last night I tried the third path and made it to Dark Helios for the first time. What an amazing boss fight, probly one of my favorite fights in any shmup now. I came really really close to killing him, but ended up dying right near the end of his second form. He definitely feels much more like a final boss than Hungry Glutton and Thousand Knives.
Sinful wrote:Alright on that Darius Burst 1cc. I should give this another shot today. But, how about some details. Here or in the 1cc thread (where I posted my details on Darius 1). And I like to bounce between games in one series a bit too to help ease with the restart syndrone a bit by not making it feel as repetative/help keep things fresh.
What details do you want exactly? I do that too with bouncing through games. I've been bouncing between Burst, II, Gaiden and Twin mostly here, plus other non shmup games. But my lack of concentration will make it hard to beat II any time soon I think.
Sinful wrote:Yeah, furthest I made it in Darius II was stage 4 upper path (sticking to upper again. Seems easiest to me again too). Died really fast at the stage 4 start without shield, though (even forgot what it looks like?). Haven't made it there since. Been dieing everywhere, even stage 1 the odd time. :oops: For that second stage, yeah, during the first tunnel part with that mid boss is where it's the trickiest. Usually end with no shield ASAP, but if I can make though that first tunnel even without shield, I usually survive until the next shield before the boss.
Same for me, stage four is as far as I've gotten, but it doesn't seem so hard compared to 2, it's just that you can't really do it blind. I suggest using the course EmperorIng mentioned: ABEIHMRX. It really is a lot easier than the top course.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Sinful wrote:
EmperorIng wrote:*snip*
Hey, where'd you go? Did you manage to beat Fatty Gluton via Lazer with my latest tactic yet? I need updates!
Haven't tried any methods yet; things have been too busy for video-games and will stay that way for at least a week.

The video-link or image link you posted up above is inaccessible to people not logged into that particular forum, so that's no help for me. And (because I take it that English is a second language for you) it's a little hard for me to understand what exactly you are advocating for Fatty Glutton. For what it's worth, I did not need to give out any personal information with my photobucket account to upload anything, though I haven't checked it in a few weeks.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

ACSeraph wrote: I've got Mirage Castle down on the PSP version here pretty well too, though I usually kill it before it lasers.
Problem is the PSP is mostly useless for practicing the arcade version outside of learning a few scoring routines - it's vastly easier as some kind of balancing for longer routes.

MathU

Post by MathU »

Wait, is there another arcade version of Darius Burst besides Another Chronicle? That's different from the PSP version? Because I find the PSP game to be quite a poor excuse for a Darius game.
Of course, that's just an opinion.
Always seeking netplay fans to play emulated arcade games with.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

MathU wrote:Wait, is there another arcade version of Darius Burst besides Another Chronicle? That's different from the PSP version? Because I find the PSP game to be quite a poor excuse for a Darius game.
The genesis of DariusBurst:

Darius Burst (PSP game is based off of this) - 2009
Darius Burst: Another Chronicle - 2010
Darius Burst: Another Chronicle EX - 2011
Darius Burst: Second Prologue (for iOS) - 2011

AC and especially ACEX up the number of stages and bosses to make things more properly Darius. AC has a weird 3-stage-per-route as does ACEX, but at least the difficulty is upped to make things more enjoyable.
Last edited by EmperorIng on Sun Dec 01, 2013 4:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

MathU wrote:Wait, is there another arcade version of Darius Burst besides Another Chronicle? That's different from the PSP version? Because I find the PSP game to be quite a poor excuse for a Darius game.
I've only played AC, and it's different from the PSP version in many respects: select new music tracks, much higher difficulty, 4 players, obviously, reversible ship directions, Chronicle Mode, and a couple of unique bosses and stages iirc (2 of each, possibly). Oh, and 3 stages instead of 5.

PSP Burst is superb, I love it, it's just far too easy. But using the Burst Cannon to full scoring effect and whatnot is great fun, as well as releasing all the unlockable ships and modes etc.

ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

I just got back from the arcade in the city here, got to play a lot for once. I got the 1cc for the easiest course while I was there (Violent Ruler). The version we have is Another Chronicle EX. I agree its definitely harder than the PSP game, but some things are easier. It's only 3 stages per route, so there's less you have to learn for a clear, and when you respawn after death it gives you a shield. Because of that the easiest course is definitely easier than the PSP's easiest course, but it kicks up a lot when you start moving down. I just wish it was closer so I could practice the more difficult stuff more often.

Also got my non-shmup playing friend to try it and he was immediately hooked. We even managed to 1CC it. It's actually a pretty damn good multiplayer game, unlike most shmups.
The basic gameplay is the same, but the game itself is totally different from the PSP game, kind of like a sequel. I'm surprised you dislike the PSP game though, it's not as good as ACEX, but it's still damn good fun imo. Love abusing that laser.
PedroMD

Post by PedroMD »

I can't compare it to the arcade version (which I wish I could play someday, must be and incredible experience), but Darius Burst ended up becoming one of my favorite shmups simply because it's so fun to play. Burst mode is something else, there's something cathartic about starting fully powered up and just lasering the shit out of everything.
Sure, the easy route is incredibly easy (I think it was one of my first 1CCs), and from what I've seen of the other games in the series there's a lot less variety of stages and bosses here, so I guess there are valid complaints to be made.

I can't talk much about the rest of the series, since I just played Burst and a bit of G Darius. No-Missed a couple routes in Burst, felt good about it and thought I was ready for the other games. Well, probably not, since I'm having my ass kicked as soon as stage 2 in any route of G Darius. It should be a matter of putting in more time in the game, as I haven't focused too much in it yet, and mastering how to exploit the capture gimmick. Burst's laser was just too intuitive to use defensively.
1CC
RegalSin wrote:Then again, SNES was under the Nintendo regime, back when buying panties and school girl outfits was normal for a young or older man.