Where the Darius Love at?

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Rastan78

Re: Where the Darius Love at?

Post by Rastan78 »

That would make total sense, BrianC. The problem with RayForce was there was a game developer that made rpgs with the same name. Hence Layer Section etc.

https://www.giantbomb.com/rayforce/3010-8503/developed/
BIL

Post by BIL »

Hewwo friends, I have DariusBurst CS for PS4 and enjoy it bigly in both Another Chronicle/AC and Chronicle Saviours/CS mode.

There is an Another Chronicle EX+ I have never been clear on WTF it even is. Is it some kind of arrange modo? New game? Mission pack? It better not be a hentai! Pls advise - IDGAF about price, but I don't want 2 get cornholed buying the same game twice, naw mean ;3 ;3 ;3
Klatrymadon

Post by Klatrymadon »

It's a fairly no-frills port of DBACEX with the Event missions restored (these were conspicuously missing from CS' arcade port), and CS' Murakumo thrown in as a playable ship. I think it's well worth having for the Event content, and the leaderboard functionality is great (IIRC it displays target scores in the letterboxed area), but YMMV. :)
BIL

Post by BIL »

Excellent, cheers! That does sound good to have around. I nabbed G-Darius HD sight unseen back at release, but never quite figured out what I was looking at here. Can't believe it's been almost two years already, damn.

...I know I'm about fifteen years late here, but it's not just me thinking Hyper Jaw's transformation is a Rayforce reference, right? >_> :lol:

Was like "Faaack! COOOL!" when he busted out the RG01-style red/white pylons and green lazors :cool:

LOLOLOLOL dumb spacefi - Oh FUCC (◎w◎;)
Spoiler

Fish. Fish has changed. Image
XtraSmiley

Post by XtraSmiley »

Can someone who is good at Darius help me out! I'm trying to get the trophies for the Cosmic Collection Arcade and man, I cannot do it!

I'm playing the following games on normal difficulty, and cannot get 4 million on Darius, 3 million on Darius 2, and 10 million on Darius extra version.

I've tried playing through, I've tried save states, etc. My score is pretty good, but like a million shy of the needed.

Is there a trick to this or a path I need to take to get more point?

Any help or tips would be appreciated!
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Possible Voltes V reference in Darius? One of the beast knights is a scorpionfish and looks like something out of one of the Darius games. It reminded me a bit of the first boss in Darius Gaiden, though that was probably a different species of fish.
cfx

Post by cfx »

BIL wrote:Excellent, cheers! That does sound good to have around. I nabbed G-Darius HD sight unseen back at release, but never quite figured out what I was looking at here. Can't believe it's been almost two years already, damn.
In Japan, Taito released G-Darius HD and DBACEX+ together as Darius Cozmic Revelation. Strictly Limited Games also released that combo, and then they did their usual thing as ININ and separated them. Not bad as that way you can just get what you want, but does add to the confusion of the various releases.

I have the PS4 Taito Darius Cozmic Revelation, and it's one of those discs where you can install just one of the games, or both, and they show up as separate entities on the PS4 dashboard rather than as a collection with a main menu.
XoPachi

Post by XoPachi »

BIL wrote:...I know I'm about fifteen years late here, but it's not just me thinking Hyper Jaw's transformation is a Rayforce reference, right? >_> :lol:
It wouldn't surprise me considering Dark Helios is a Syvalion reference. I'm willing to bet a few bosses are acting as cameos. Burst is basically Smash Bros for STG's as it is.
BIL

Post by BIL »

cfx wrote:
BIL wrote:Excellent, cheers! That does sound good to have around. I nabbed G-Darius HD sight unseen back at release, but never quite figured out what I was looking at here. Can't believe it's been almost two years already, damn.
In Japan, Taito released G-Darius HD and DBACEX+ together as Darius Cozmic Revelation. Strictly Limited Games also released that combo, and then they did their usual thing as ININ and separated them. Not bad as that way you can just get what you want, but does add to the confusion of the various releases.
Japan got individual digital releases too - I just went with G-Darius (aka Cozmic Liberation) back at launch.
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

I bought the stand alone JP digital of G Darius on PS4, as well. Nice version of the game too, even before the update with version 2 added. It also had full English from the start, unlike previous releases.
cfx

Post by cfx »

I was only referring to physical; I failed to pay attention to BIL's original link being to the PS store.

I only buy digital when there's no other choice so my brain tends to always think everyone is talking about physical releases. :oops:

I ended up buying that Japanese double pack even though I only wanted DBACEX+ as it was cheaper than the ININ release of only that game. So I was pleased that I could just install the one game.

I'm weird and do not like G-Darius at all. :shock:
Everything is huge and feels cramped, and the amount of enemies onscreen is few because of it. I have the same complaint about many 2d-with-3d-graphics shooters of the era.
To Far Away Times

Post by To Far Away Times »

Huh, I never found G-Darius cramped, but it was also my first Darius game that I played.

I love the presentation. In some ways, G-Darius might be the most generously budgeted and most ambitious shmup ever. A game like that could not be made today. Even DariusBurst AC, one of the more impressive modern shmup releases, has some very noticeable limitations next to G-Darius.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

cfx wrote:I'm weird and do not like G-Darius at all. :shock:
It took years for G Darius to finally click for me, but once it did, I really fell in love with it. I think the issue with it is that it just doesn't really feel like a Darius game. Everything feels just a little too fast (including your own movement), and the capture system completely changes how you approach everything.

But! These things are also an integral part if its DNA. Come back to it in a couple years with an open mind and no preconceptions about what a Darius game should be, and you might discover something really special. At least that's how it went for me.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
BIL

Post by BIL »

XoPachi wrote:
BIL wrote:...I know I'm about fifteen years late here, but it's not just me thinking Hyper Jaw's transformation is a Rayforce reference, right? >_> :lol:
It wouldn't surprise me considering Dark Helios is a Syvalion reference. I'm willing to bet a few bosses are acting as cameos. Burst is basically Smash Bros for STG's as it is.
Syvalion's always lurking about the periphery, it feels like. :mrgreen: I hope it gets an ACA release. This year's as good a bet as any, with Hamster being in an established Namco/Taito/? groove atm.
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

ACSeraph wrote:
It took years for G Darius to finally click for me, but once it did, I really fell in love with it. I think the issue with it is that it just doesn't really feel like a Darius game. Everything feels just a little too fast (including your own movement), and the capture system completely changes how you approach everything.

But! These things are also an integral part if its DNA. Come back to it in a couple years with an open mind and no preconceptions about what a Darius game should be, and you might discover something really special. At least that's how it went for me.
I think it's really interesting how to score you need to shoot enemies with your standard shot as little as possible. It's a treat to see how high level players have been creative with routes to use each capture to its fullest potential which could mean just using them as a battering ram or shield or taking advatage of their unique attacks. But then I'm always a fan of games that have you using a familiar or stand type assist that you lead around like a dog on a leash and it will fight on your behalf.

Surprisingly Takatsuna Senba of Gun Frontier and Metal Black fame can be credited with the idea for that iconic capture system that started with Darius Gaiden.

Although he left Taito before the creation of Gaiden and G, he submitted a detailed proposal for a third Darius arcade game to be titled Darius IIIrd Stage: Crest of the Falcon and Snake. This game was never realized, but the docs included the design of the capture system which was later utilized by the team that would create Gaiden.
BIL

Post by BIL »

Senba ended up having some crazy influence on 1990s/early 00s STGs. Gun Frontier directly inspiring Garegga, which in turn convinced IKD and co at CAVE to embrace danmaku in earnest, and Metal Black leading Maruyama to found G-REV on a mission to publish Border Down, those guys also working on Ikaruga... plus Darius Gaiden and G-Darius using his capture concept even after he'd left, and the latter's MB-style beam duels, of course.

It was great seeing him on the Arcade Archiver Gun Frontier broadcast, late last year. He posted his absolute beauty of a design draft, around then:

Spoiler
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Not to mention his true magnum opus, Dino Rex, would go on to help create a world wide fighting game craze. :mrgreen:
BIL

Post by BIL »

:lol:
cfx

Post by cfx »

ACSeraph wrote:

Good points. If I don't think of it as a Darius game that will help I suspect.
ACSeraph

Post by ACSeraph »

ST: Darius is finally open for business. It's still a work in progress right now (I haven't had time to even proofread it yet...), but I've prepared information and images for every course in route ABDGKPZ'. Those will be coming some time this week.

Hope you guys find it helpful, and know that any and all feedback and discussion is welcome in the thread.

Go kill some fish, people.
<STG.1cc> 死ぬがよい <ACT.1cc>
BIL

Post by BIL »

Beautiful! The original Darius, and to an only slightly lesser extent Darius II, always intimidates me more than the average iconic 80s STG. Partially the screen aspect, but the myriad revisions, too. Will enjoy having your guide at my disposal next time I go space fishin'!
Steven

Post by Steven »

Can confirm Old version is still at Mikado.
Ishmokin

Post by Ishmokin »

Hi guys, was just at Hey Akihabara last April 20 and 23. Darius Old version cab is there. Also played OLD at Mikado as well.
Ishmokin

Post by Ishmokin »

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to share this clip from my visit of Mikado Takadanobaba last Month. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ip7YoY7yp7E

Darius Old was a blast to play on the original cab! :)
caincan

Post by caincan »

BIL

Post by BIL »

Amazing :o I particularly like seeing the pop sheet's classic pixel arts on b/w film... really emphasises how far-out that must've seemed back then. MIRAIKANRYOU even :cool:
Steven

Post by Steven »

Playing the game on that cabinet is a crazy experience even now. It's so fucking loud lol
Lapp

Post by Lapp »

Hello!
In the physical version of G-Darius, there are instructions at least ? i don't want to purchase an empty box with only a disc inside.
Steven

Post by Steven »

I think it's finally time for me to play Darius Gaiden and I am not sure what to do with rank management. I have Cozmic Collection, so I will be playing the arcade version. Any advice?
Rastan78

Post by Rastan78 »

Hey good luck. Hope you enjoy the game. I have a pretty good knowledge of the rank system so I can help you out with any questions.

First I'd say bc things are OK even at high rank don't get obsessed with rank control, and focus your attention on just learning to survive at first. Its almost tempting to say don't even worry about rank as a beginner. That said here are three simple things I'd advise to be aware of.

Boss parts: This is a big one as destroying all of them will significantly increase rank. Note that King Fossil boss parts increase rank much more than normal on the arcade version due to what's probably a glitch. Also the way the rank interacts with the per stage difficulty modifier means late game boss parts will increase rank way faster than early game ones.

Autofire: Holding down normal shot doesn't raise rank at all, but fast mashing or holding down external auto will raise it significantly over time. Especially if playing with 30hz just fire when you need to and don't hold it down during dead air. You can use default shot during sections with only zako as well.

Rank is always increasing constantly so during boss fights speed killing with auto will result in lower rank than a long drawn out fight with default shot. 15hz is a good option to have a little less rank increase with plenty of damage and even shot spacing at all shot power levels. Also if you play without auto rank control will matter more.

Max value medals: This is any time you see 5000 pts for picking up a red, blue or green medal when you're already maxed out. Don't get yourself killed to avoid this, but also don't go out of your way to pick them up. Some players will take intentional damage if they have a full shield before picking up the next blue medal to avoid the rank increase.

Again these aren't do or die things to obsess over just rules of thumb to keep in the back of your mind. When it comes to high scoring play things get more nuanced. For survival that's about it.

General advice: You hear fighting game players talk about "mental stack" which is sort of all the things you can juggle in your mind while still being able to perform OK. Babysitting rank should definitely not be a big part of the mental stack in this game. Of course learning safe routing and boss strategies is always first. What you do want to focus on for DG is red powerup management. You want a route based around which powerups you want to avoid and which you will pick up. The goal is to have white spheres in your shot for bosses (and midbosses if you want to go for captures) since not having them can drastically alter the outcome. In short you don't powerup in a linear way but have peaks and valleys along the way especially for point blank boss damage.

TL;DR Don't worry about rank except for destroying lots of boss parts and excessive autofire use. Instead focus on planning your red power ups based on when you want to have high damage output.