Kingdom Grandprix Saturn

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Andi

Kingdom Grandprix Saturn

Post by Andi »

I recently acquired Kingdom Grandprix for Saturn. It's pretty cool, but I'm a bit confused about it.

In terms of high-scoring, is it better to go for killing all the enemies or actually racing for a high position? Do the ships cause the screen to scroll upwards at different speeds when not boosting? (I can't tell). If so, when playing two players, does the screen scroll at the speed of the fastest player? Also, if both players boost, does the screen move super fast?

Thanks.
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

The closer to the top you are, the faster the screen scrolls. And about the highscoring-thingy; why not try both? It's a very individual question that may differ from person to person. When I cleared the first loop I finished second, which denied me the second loop. So if you're that good, you have to be first in order to amount even more points in the second loop
Andi

Post by Andi »

I'm getting used to the racing aspect of the game however, whenever I encounter a boss it slows me down a bunch and people seem to pass me (since I have to constantly dodge and stay toward the bottom of the screen). Is there any sort of trick to this?
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Someone really needs to write a giant FAQ on this game, like the ones that we had on the old forum. This would be the perfect game to start out with, too. I'd do it if I had the game and had it mastered.
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
Anarchos

Post by Anarchos »

Yeah, I have cleared the first loop after an intense week or 2 playing, so it's not nearly as hard as Garegga and the likes, but still many things are unclear to me. Feel a bit confused about the whole game.
Andi

Post by Andi »

I didn't assume their was any sort of rank system on this game initially, but it seems like it gets much easier after I die. Is there a rank system and what is it based on?
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

It's a Raizing shmup, it has to have some wonky rank system in there someplace...I shoulda saved that thread from the old forum where Rando listed (roughly) what affects rank in a whole bunch of Raizing games...I'm almost positive KGP was on there someplace, but I forget exactly what affected the rank.