ANYONE UP FOR A BOARDGAME!!!

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
gunbird18

ANYONE UP FOR A BOARDGAME!!!

Post by gunbird18 »

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vi ... 64264&rd=1

What a collectors item! Too bad it is in japanese! But just to have all of the vic vipers and all of the cards...I bet we could come up with our own rules, huh? :P

Very cool shmup antique! Where were you in 1986, fellas? I was still mackin on the ladies in high school, kiddos!
Blue Lander

Post by Blue Lander »

Okay, now that is cool. I'm sure at least one or two people here know enough Japanese to muddle through the manual and figure out how to play for the rest of us.
dave4shmups

Post by dave4shmups »

Wow, nice find!!

I've seen a Zaxxon boad game before on Ebay; anyone ever played that?
"Farewell to false pretension
Farewell to hollow words
Farewell to fake affection
Farewell, tomorrow burns"
BrianC

Post by BrianC »

Unlike the Gradius board game, I think the Zaxxon board game was released in the US. I remember seeing a Zaxxon arcade shaped candy box at a store once.

I wish those auctions wouldn't throw in the names of different game systems or whatever in the title to try to make it show up more. It's makes it harder for me to find stuff without getting something I'm not looking for.
system11

Post by system11 »

I used to own the Zaxxon boardgame, it's really good!
zimeon

Post by zimeon »

If it was just to hash up the 50 bucks and get it in my hand, it'd be mine today. I love boardgames. But I don't think I can bother with shopping over the net. Sadly enough.
Enthusiasm without skill
Minzoku

Post by Minzoku »

I CALL BIDS! :D

*bids*
"This is not an alien life form! He is an experimental government aircraft!"
Super Laydock

Post by Super Laydock »

Actually noticed the game before this thread, and was gonna keep quiet on it so I could get it myself...(very selfish I know, but it looks so damn sweet :P)

This was the first seller I ever bought from on ebay and he has been in my favourites ever since. Great guy!
Barroom hero!
Bathroom hero!
joshschw

Post by joshschw »

alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Odd. Those pics show the Korean version. Is Gradius called Big Hyper in Korea?

What ever happened to Bydopoly? Shmup-themed Monopoly, that was a great idea someone had a few years ago. We should revive that idea.
Darkcomet72

Re: ANYONE UP FOR A BOARDGAME!!!

Post by Darkcomet72 »

Hmmm... A good programmer and a translator could make a online board game from it....

Edit: A really good programmer and translator. That game looks confusing...
gunbird18 wrote: Where were you in 1986, fellas? I was still mackin on the ladies in high school, kiddos!
...I wasn't even born then. :oops:
Ed: He asked for mustard Eddy! Do you have corn in your ears mister?
gunbird18

Post by gunbird18 »

^^^^^^

Aye Carumba! That makes me want to :cry: ! I feel my arthritis kicking in after that last post, Dark! :lol:

But the arthritis goes away after a few rounds of DDP:DOJ! :P
Stormowl

Post by Stormowl »

alpha5099 wrote:
Odd. Those pics show the Korean version. Is Gradius called Big Hyper in Korea?

What ever happened to Bydopoly? Shmup-themed Monopoly, that was a great idea someone had a few years ago. We should revive that idea.
i'm pretty sure it was Roger Post (Postman?), and it was called Shmupopoly . he ran a shmup themed-parody contest with some pretty funny results early in 2004 i think.

EDIT:

here is his page with all the shmup parodies, and the ones from the contest. Herr Schatten's still gives me a good laugh.
alpha5099

Post by alpha5099 »

Stormowl wrote:
i'm pretty sure it was Roger Post (Postman?), and it was called Shmupopoly . he ran a shmup themed-parody contest with some pretty funny results early in 2004 i think.
Yeah, there was that. But earlier than that, there was Bydopoly. I remember it quite distinctly it, it was right after I had joined the forum, and I didn't get the R-Type reference.

It was just a thread with a bunch of What If ideas. Roger went the extra mile and actually made something