Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 2011)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
HydrogLox

Re: Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 20

Post by HydrogLox »

Shelcoof wrote:I'd love to play through the story but there's no point if I can't understand :(
The "point" is that you unlock everything and that is what this FAQ is for:
Walkthrough (JIS) 04/02/13 souvlaki139 51K
http://www.gamefaqs.com/xbox360/622617- ... 43?print=1
Author: souvlaki139
This is a walkthrough for Instant Brain intended to help those who don't have a good grasp of Japanese. You could use this to get through the game even if you don't have any Japanese knowledge. Following this will give you 100% of all gallery and CG unlocks and achievements.
The Xbox 360 USB drive protocol most likely changed during the 2015-Apr-30 update with 2TB USB storage support.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

HydrogLox wrote:
Shelcoof wrote:I'd love to play through the story but there's no point if I can't understand :(
The "point" is that you unlock everything and that is what this FAQ is for
Agreed. Also, you can probably figure out what is going on by watching your screen and following the walkthrough. Besides...it's not a fucking Nolan movie but just an excuse to see drawn boobs.
Last edited by d3vak on Thu Jan 21, 2016 2:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

d3vak wrote:
HydrogLox wrote:
The "point" is that you unlock everything and that is what this FAQ is for
Agreed. Also, you can probably what was going on by watching your screen and following the walkthrough. Besides...it's not a fucking Nolan movie but just an excuse to see drawn boobs.
Going through it right now...... wish I knew Japanese though
borislaw

Post by borislaw »

Shelcoof wrote:Going through it right now...... wish I knew Japanese though
something that might help you a little --perhaps you've already done this -- if you have an iPad or smartphone use Google Translate take a picture of the Japanese; while it won't give you a coherent English translation, it should return some useful clues.

Other than that I just wanted to say that I appreciate this thread. For all the effort plus the 20 bucks, a version of Dodonpachi without tate, without a practice mode, and without a customizable button layout is, for me, not worth it.
'twas in times of old / as eagles screamed // and holy streams flowed / from the Heaven-Fells
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Yhaa the guide actually was very useful and if you follow it correctly you'll be able to unlock the game without much issue.

I actually spent about 9 hours because I was unfamiliar with the game and was extremely careful just in case so I would not screw up... looking at every character correctly before confirming a move. Eventually once I got to Chapter 6 I began to get use to the game and ran through it a lot faster.

It would be nice to understand what is going on as the story seemed pretty interesting. I just hate seeing something unfold and not understand what is going on.

I got the game for dodonachi but ended up also really enjoying NinNin2 Brain quit a bit.

Worth it in my opinion.... I'm just finally happy after so many years of owning this game I finally get to play the game :)
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

WTF!! Ddp has no screen adjustment or button layout etc! Smh

Btw: playing instant brain (even with the walkthrough was the most painful experience I have ever had with a game, even with fastforward option..

Here is some artwork I made (with help from pixel_outlaw) to make the gAme cover ddp instead of instant brain;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ey83d88qleou3 ... .jpeg?dl=0
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Yeah, it's a bonus feature in another game, I don't know why you expected it to be a full-fledged port (if you even did; I'm pretty sure plenty of posts here already mention that).

That said, I enjoyed going through it to unlock Nin2-Brain.
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

^
People like u suk
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

lol
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

wtf i hate cave now
BIL

Post by BIL »

JAPJAC is crying in heaven 3;
Pixel_Outlaw

Post by Pixel_Outlaw »

Ah, I remember when you could play a Cave game out in the open.
Those were the days [looks wistfully to the horizon over a cup of coffee now cold with time].
Some of the best shmups don't actually end in a vowel.
No, this game is not Space Invaders.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

Depending on who you ask, you still can, or you never could in the first place.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
Strider77

Post by Strider77 »

^
People like u suk
No, you...
Damn Tim, you know there are quite a few Americans out there who still lives in tents due to this shitty economy, and you're dropping loads on a single game which only last 20 min. Do you think it's fair? How much did you spend this time?
2dvertical

Post by 2dvertical »

Strider77 wrote:
^
People like u suk
No, you...

Good one, send me to the burn ward...pfft
mmz16x

Post by mmz16x »

I know im resurecting this thread from the grave but the "Game Save" download link is dead and I need this for the how to unlock DDP in Instant Brain any help or a link to the Save would be greatly appreciated!!!
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

the download link in the opening post is still up and active.
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

Not much point really. It's a busted port that doesn't even support Tate.
Formerly known as 8 1/2. I return on my second credit!
bcass

Post by bcass »

How else is it busted? No TATE isn't an issue for those of us with large displays.
d3vak

Post by d3vak »

It's better than the PS1 port.
HOW ARE YOU GENTLEMEN !!
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

bcass wrote:How else is it busted? No TATE isn't an issue for those of us with large displays.
I'm going off of the comparison video that Electric Underground did, as I was considering picking it up myself. Apparently, it's just running the game on an emulator, and not doing it particularly well. The game runs too fast vs the original and has some messed up enemy shot patterns to boot. Also, no control config is a pretty frustrating oversight.
bcass

Post by bcass »

The best way to play it outside of owning the PCB is MAME then?
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

bcass wrote:The best way to play it outside of owning the PCB is MAME then?
MisTer has it up and running plus there is a stage option as well
Jonpachi

Post by Jonpachi »

bcass wrote:The best way to play it outside of owning the PCB is MAME then?
Here's a great breakdown showing input lag comparisons on different emulators running DDP.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sw0hbW-05k0&t=1s
Sengoku Strider

Post by Sengoku Strider »

bcass wrote:How else is it busted? No TATE isn't an issue for those of us with large displays.
Large displays are an issue in and of themselves, due to how much latency is inherent to them.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Sengoku Strider wrote:
Large displays are an issue in and of themselves, due to how much latency is inherent to them.

Not an issue with Pro monitors these days as there's less than a frame of lag on a majority of them
Emerl

Re: Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 2011)

Post by Emerl »

Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone solved the issue earlier users were having. I used Horizon to re-sign the 8 save files from the .zip in the OP, and when I launch the game it doesn't have the Special menu unlocked. I've successfully re-signed all of my other saves with this method, so I'm not sure why this doesn't work.
Shelcoof

Post by Shelcoof »

Emerl wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:39 pm Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone solved the issue earlier users were having. I used Horizon to re-sign the 8 save files from the .zip in the OP, and when I launch the game it doesn't have the Special menu unlocked. I've successfully re-signed all of my other saves with this method, so I'm not sure why this doesn't work.
Use the tutorial to beat the game
Doesn't take long

I ended up doing that
Emerl

Post by Emerl »

Shelcoof wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 11:44 pm
Emerl wrote: Sun Jan 21, 2024 10:39 pm Resurrecting this thread to ask if anyone solved the issue earlier users were having. I used Horizon to re-sign the 8 save files from the .zip in the OP, and when I launch the game it doesn't have the Special menu unlocked. I've successfully re-signed all of my other saves with this method, so I'm not sure why this doesn't work.
Use the tutorial to beat the game
Doesn't take long

I ended up doing that
It did take a long time, and it sucked, so hopefully I can save anyone in the future from doing what I had to do. Anyway, the drive link below has my 100% save. Hopefully I can save anyone else from having to play this VN.

Basic instructions: To use the save, start Instant Brain to create a save, move it to a flash drive, use the program Horizon to resign System Data and Game Save Data 1 from my drive link below to your Xbox account, then replace your save files with mine.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1eDlZdg ... sp=sharing
Steven

Post by Steven »

Is Instant Brain really that bad? Somehow I doubt it. I don't think I've ever seen it for sale locally, but I forgot that it exists, so I haven't been specifically looking for it.

I have better ways to play DDP, like just going to any arcade in town because every single one I've ever been to has the game, so I don't really care about it for that purpose; I just want to see if Instant Brain is as terrible as everyone says it is or if it's just being called that because the people complaining about it don't know Japanese. I have a feeling it's probably the latter.