Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 2011)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Fudoh

Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 2011)

Post by Fudoh »

I have a hard time warming up to DDP Saidaioujou. At the same time I had a copy of Instant Brain sitting in my collection for quite some time now, but never got around looking into the DDP unlock. Inspired by Pyongyang's FORCE GEAR unlock manual, I finally got around unlocking DDP.

The version of DDP included with Instant Brain is a clean, bare-bone conversion. It's better than both the PS1 and the Saturn version, but you don't get any extras and you don't get to tate your screen. If you're fine with that, DDP remains a blast of a game from a very different era of shoot'em up gaming (at least when compared to Saidaioujou).

Instant Brain can be picked up for a mesely 1,500yen 2nd hand in Japan and with DDP unlocked that's absolutely worth it.

On GameFAQs you can find a walkthrough to Instant Brain, but clicking through a japanese visual novel for hours and hours is nothing I can be bothered with. Unlocking DDP without that isn't this hard, it's nothing illegal and does not require a modded XBox. Maybe there are other manuals for this online already, but I couldn't find any and it's not this easy to wrap your head around it, if you've never done it before.

What you need:

1) a 360 which can run Instant Brain (likely region locked, so japanese or RGH/JTAG)
2) a copy of Instant Brain (LE or regular)
3) a USB stick (1GB or more, not the slowest you can find)
4) this: http://pms.hazard-city.de/DDP.zip
5) 10 minutes of spare time

How to do it:

1) format the USB stick on your XBox360, so it can be used to store XBox files
2) start Instant Brain with your regular profile signed in
3) when the game asks you which storage device to use, choose your USB stick
4) start the game, (hold LT to fast forward), hit the Start button to pause and save your game
5) exit the game, switch off the console, take the USB stick to the PC.

6) unpack the zip file, you'll find a savegame for Instant Brain, USBXTAF and the XBox Save Editor
7) start USB XTAF, Click on FILE > OPEN DEVICE SELECTOR, choose your USB Stick and click OPEN DRIVE
8) In the left window, nagivate into the Data Partition, Content Folder. You'll find two folders. Open the one with numbers and letters (that's your profile code), open the folder 435A07E0 (that's the game code) and the folder 00000001 inside.
9) Inside you'll find your save game (GAME DATA 1 and SYSTEM DATA). Extract one of the files (right button, extract)

10) open the XBox Save Editor, open the file you just extracted. Click on SAVE ID Defaults (in the middle of the window).
11) Now open the first of the save games you extracted from the zip (GAME DATA 1). Click LOAD ID DEFAULTS, check the box LOCAL SIGN (bottom right) and hit RESIGN SAVE. Choose the included KV.bin, when the program asks for a keyvault. (Now you signed the first game save file with your own user code and device id, which makes it usable on your own 360.
12) repeat for the other files (GAME DATA 2-7 and SYSTEM DATA)

13) In USB XTAF delete all the existing files in the 00000001 folder. Right click into the right window, choose INJECT and put the newly signed files into this folder.
14) Close everything and take the USB stick back to your console.
15) Start up the game, when asked for a storage device, choose your stick.
16) Choose SPECIAL in the main menu and here you'll find DDP for Kinect, DDP and Nin2-Brain.

You can copy or move the save games from the USB stick to your hard drive using the storage management in the system settings of your XBox360.

Enjoy a brilliant conversion of a real shoot'em up gem !!

Because who wants this

when one can get this ?

Last edited by Fudoh on Fri Jul 25, 2014 12:29 pm, edited 3 times in total.
trap15

Re: Unlocking DoDonPachi in Instant Brain (Cave, XBox360, 20

Post by trap15 »

Does that save also have nin2-brain unlocked?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

yes it does.
trap15

Post by trap15 »

Well then, I might have to get Instant Brain at some point :arrow:

If anyone does this, can they tell me if Nin2-Brain has different stages than Nin2-Jump?
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
brentsg

Post by brentsg »

I also have EOJ's playthrough FAQ archived if people wish to do it the old fashioned way.

I tried to reach out to see if he minded it being published here but the e-mail bounced. I might PM him here, but I kinda doubt I'll get a response.
Breaking news: Dodonpachi Developer Cave Releases Hello Kitty Game
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Fantastic! :D

Does this port support TATE?
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

It's better than both the PS1 and the Saturn version, but you don't get any extras and you don't get to tate your screen
EllertMichael

Post by EllertMichael »

Still, thanks for this!
Thjodbjorn

Post by Thjodbjorn »

That's disappointing that you can't rotate the screen. I had considered picking it up.
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Fudoh wrote:
It's better than both the PS1 and the Saturn version, but you don't get any extras and you don't get to tate your screen
And no over-scan adjust. You also can't format your button inputs. You're stuck with the game's default layout... although, there's always the Kinect Controls...
drunkninja24

Post by drunkninja24 »

Kiken wrote:
Fudoh wrote:
And no over-scan adjust. You also can't format your button inputs. You're stuck with the game's default layout... although, there's always the Kinect Controls...
If I can't use Kinect to pleasure an Element Doll, it ain't worth it.
Pyongyang

Post by Pyongyang »

Very cool Mr. Dudes! I'll have to check this one out. :D
--
Blog: Pink Bullets / YouTube: StuffiWrote / VGMdb: Pyongyang

Image Image
brokenhalo

Post by brokenhalo »

It's crazy that they didn't do an extra bit of work and throw ddp up on xbla.
genetik

Post by genetik »

Thanks! I was holding off on purchasing it because I didn't really care to play the actual game and just wanted to get to DDP. The save file is all I needed to convinced me to import it.
"When a madman appears thoroughly sane, indeed, it is high time to put him in a strait-jacket."
Edgar A. Poe
Some-Mist

Post by Some-Mist »

brentsg wrote:I also have EOJ's playthrough FAQ archived if people wish to do it the old fashioned way.

I tried to reach out to see if he minded it being published here but the e-mail bounced. I might PM him here, but I kinda doubt I'll get a response.
I wouldn't mind seeing it. I actually spent a couple hours just spamming buttons for awhile and actually got super far into it - but I'm stuck.

then again, this method might be easier but I don't have a spare USB drive to format.
a creature... half solid half gas
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

You can directly mount your 360 HDD using the the same program. Process is the same.... Slim HDDs have a direct SATA port, while the old (on-top) HDDs require either a special cable or need to be taken out of their casing.
Shinobi

Post by Shinobi »

Thanks for posting this! I might have to track down a copy of this game now :lol:
CStarFlare

Post by CStarFlare »

Kiken wrote:You also can't format your button inputs. You're stuck with the game's default layout... although, there's always the Kinect Controls...
What is the default control? I've hate Cave's defaults and always change them so that would be a serious deal breaker.
Restart Syndrome::
Shmup leaderboards and Video Index! | My score history on RS
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

X is rapid, A is laser and B is bomb.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Is Instant Brain available on the Games on Demand service yet?

Also, is there any possibility that messing with the files in this manner could constitute hacking? Any modification of files could in theory be detectable on Xbox Live and possibly result in a ban.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

The files you inject into your USB stick are 100% identical to what you'd get by playing through the game for real offline on a different system (using your profile) and carrying the file over to your "live" 360 after that.
bcass

Post by bcass »

I realise that, but I just wonder if the tampering is detectable at another level. For example, when you inject the save into the USB container file, some sort of checksum may have altered in the container file.
Chaos Phoenixma

Post by Chaos Phoenixma »

Also, there's the possible issue with the fact that you'd have the DoDonPachi achievements without having the Instant Brain ones.

Or the achievements just end up unlocking and they know something's up from that. Though I guess that only matters if you aren't RGH/Jtag since with those you wouldn't be on Live anyway.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

you can get 700 points of Instant brain by clicking through the gallery.... guys, don't be paranoid about it. And if you're, just use a secondary profile.
bcass

Post by bcass »

Fudoh wrote:you can get 700 points of Instant brain by clicking through the gallery.... guys, don't be paranoid about it. And if you're, just use a secondary profile.
What if they ban the console? Even if they don't detect this kind of tampering atm, there's nothing to say they won't in the future. And as per Chaos Phoenixma's post, it's very easy to detect. This kind of tampering definitely violates their terms & conditions.
AntiFritz

Post by AntiFritz »

Do you really think microsoft are going to look at an ultra niche game and check who has gotten the achievements legitimately? No.
RegalSin wrote:Rape is very shakey subject. It falls into the catergory of Womens right, Homosexaul rights, and Black rights.
Fudoh

Post by Fudoh »

I've gotten various achievements on pre-release titles on a JTAG and when I took the profile over to my non-modded Box, the achievements simply got deleted (automatically when the account resync'ed with the servers) - nothing else.

And don't forget that you can log in two different profiles on one console at the same time using two controllers. Theoretically person 1 can have the unlock, while person plays DDP, so I'm not even sure if the proper achievements would be a neccessity.
bcass

Post by bcass »

AntiFritz wrote:Do you really think microsoft are going to look at an ultra niche game and check who has gotten the achievements legitimately?
No I don't, and that's not what I'm alluding to. There's nothing to stop a future update from analysing files on the system for discrepancies (all saves, not just for a single game). Discrepancies that constitute file tampering, which is absolutely frowned upon in the T&Cs. Like I said, it could be possible to detect this sort of tampering using other methods too, not just discrepancies with achievements. Microsoft take this sort of thing pretty seriously and at a whim could easily ban your console permanantly. It's probably unlikely to happen, but personally, I wouldn't want to risk losing my profile which has several hundred pounds worth of downloaded software associated with it.
JAPJAC
Banned User

Post by JAPJAC »

Is this "Instant Brain" available from any region's XBox 360 marketplace as a digital download?

And if so, does this technique work for this version?
http://www.japjac.proboards58.com/
http://www.youtube.com/japjac

1989 UK Japanese Mega Drive Thunder Force II MD Champion.
BPzeBanshee

Post by BPzeBanshee »

I thought it was Japan-only. Save file should work anyway.

As for its legitimacy, the last time this discussion repeated itself someone linked here a while ago (I actually thought it was bcass, but apparently not) a thread where a person did some real thorough testing of save files, and discovered that most tools do edit files in such a way that they can be detected and thus result in a ban, but some tools can alter data without leaving traces.