shmuplations.com - 12/1 Zanac

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Softdrink 117

Re: shmuplations.com - 7/11 Ibara special

Post by Softdrink 117 »

As a massive Ibara fan, these were very much enjoyed. Thanks Blackoak!

Keep up the awesome work.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
Vyxx
Banned User

Post by Vyxx »

Softdrink 117 wrote:As a massive Ibara fan, these were very much enjoyed. Thanks Blackoak!
This x 10

Now we just need an Ibara STGWeekly video 8)
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

bump with new developer interviews for Caladrius and Dodonpachi. The DDP one isn't long, but its conducted by superplayer ZBL-NAI which is kind of neat. Lots more coming now that moving stuff is all settled. I still want to get to those Milestone interviews and the Salamander/Parodius ones found on the SS/PSX discs.
shmuplations.com - translated game developer interviews and more
support shmuplations on patreon!
jepjepjep

Re: shmuplations.com - 8/13 Caladrius and Dodonpachi

Post by jepjepjep »

Awesome work blackoak, thanks again!

I got a lol out of this:
Ikeda: Bombs were added as an emergency feature, but… even with a full bomb stock and 0 lives, a real man won’t even have his finger anywhere near the B button.
Mortificator

Post by Mortificator »

shmuplate my heart
RegalSin wrote:You can't even drive across the country Naked anymore
daigle

Post by daigle »

Enjoyed the Caladrius interview very much. Thank you for the translation!
instagram @admiralcrunk
xbla admiralcrunche
stryc9

Post by stryc9 »

Thought the Caladrius interview was interesting, thanks for taking the time to translate.
Facebook is for handbag users.
XBox Live Name: Katbizkitz
rtw

Post by rtw »

Thanks for yet another great translation!
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Always a pleasure good sir, keep up the good work.
blackoak

Re: shmuplations.com - 10/21 Dragon Saber, Mushi, Salamander

Post by blackoak »

thanks everyone for the Caladrius/Ibara comments!

bump with three new shmup interviews: Mushihimesama Music and Design interview, Dragon Saber 1991 development team interview, and Salamander PSX/SS developer memories. I've added the usual bits of concept art and such, so I hope they make for interesting reads. The Salamander materials came from the doc files embedded in the PS1/SS ports, and are really more a bit of "game center culture" than substantive info about the original Salamander development. I almost didn't translate it, but thought it might be a fun read nonetheless.

Not sure what's next, got a bunch of things to sift through...
KAI

Post by KAI »

“Seeing your work copied illegally is like seeing your cute daughter violated.”
wow, harsh analogy.

Thanks for translating Hosoe, Namiki and Iwata. Keep at the good work (and don't forget about the K.H.D.N. interview xP)
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I just wanted to pop in and say I really liked the series of "big name" developer interviews; thanks for all the great reads.
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Nice translations as usual. Do you have any Shin Nakamura interviews, blackoak?
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

thanks!

@KAI, I haven't forgotten about KHDN. Just taking my sweet time getting to it, sorry... haha. Thanks for updating the vgmdb with the liner notes I translated, btw. Got a bunch more to do. Actually, I contacted someone about the latest Mahou Daisakusen cd, which apparently has interviews with the entire Raizing development team. Looking forward to that one when he posts the scans for it.

@Hagane: Do you mean Shinsuke Nakamura of Psikyo? If so, I've got two 1997 interviews with him. Neither are particularly heavyweight, but its better than nothing. gamengai has a round table interview with him and several other STG developers too, that I'm sure you've read...
Hagane

Post by Hagane »

Yeah I've read the one on gamengai, very good. Hope you translate those interviews sometime, but anyways I'm really grateful for what you do with your site.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Thank you kindly, good sir.
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
blackoak

Re: shmuplations.com - 11/25 Psikyo, Stunfest

Post by blackoak »

alright, finally got this big update done. There's two Psikyo interviews; one on the short/promotional side, but another cool "versus" interview with Yoshiki Okamoto (Gun.Smoke, Gyruss, Time Pilot, many more) of Capcom. I also completed the Stunfest interview/live report from STG Gameside #8, which is a nice little memorial coda from Clover-TAC, Pikachu, and Jon Rodgers.

There's a couple non-shmup things too (Quintet and Ys). I've got a huge backlog now, and some commissions to get through, so I'm not sure what's next, but it will be very cool. I recently got ahold of some BEEP! magazines which have turned out to be a gold mine for 80s game developer interviews/reports. Lots of STG stuff in there too. And of course, I still have to do that khdn interview.... ;)

By the way, if anyone is interested in helping out with the editing/formatting of these interviews, I'm thinking about getting some assistance. I could nearly double my output if I could just hand off finished translations to some kind soul who was willing to illustrate them with appropriate videos/photos (not exactly exciting work, I know). Even doing a half-assed job is time-consuming, and my utter hackjob css skillz aren't making it any better. Anyway, pm if interested...
chempop

Post by chempop »

Really fantastic (as always), I especially enjoyed the PsikyoXcapcom interview. Takes me back to the early 80's when I played my first arcade game at a pizza hut, of course that game was 1942.
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
GSK

Post by GSK »

Great work as always! I especially liked the Psikyo x Capcom interview, Okamoto's always good for a laugh. I wonder what he's doing nowadays...

That being said, this part struck me as odd:

"Okamoto: There were many games I didn’t play, but of the games Capcom made Xevious is probably the one I played the least."

Is this an error, or am I missing something here?
blackoak

Post by blackoak »

GSK wrote:"Okamoto: There were many games I didn’t play, but of the games Capcom made Xevious is probably the one I played the least."

Is this an error, or am I missing something here?
Ah yeah, major brain slip there. Thanks for catching it! I must have read the previous lines together (obviously, since Capcom didn't make Xevious). Here's the corrected translation:

"Okamoto: You know, there's many games I haven't played, but I think I've probably played Capcom's games the least. How is it for you and Psikyo's games? "
KAI

Post by KAI »

Loved those Ys interviews. GJ blackoak.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Thank you once again for your excellent translations blackoak :mrgreen:
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Frenetic

Post by Frenetic »

Dang, this is awesome. blackoak shmuplations are one of my most favorite things about this forum. How are you doing with someone else helping out with the website layout? I can solicit on STGWeekly and the twitter feed, too.

Cheers,
F
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Really great stuff again, man! :D
Image | My games - http://www.emphatic.se | (Click) I have YEN stickers for sale
RegalSin wrote:Street Fighters. We need to aviod them when we activate time accellerator.
blackoak

Re: shmuplations.com - 12/30 Jaleco, Milestone

Post by blackoak »

Thanks guys!

Bump with a couple new shmup interviews: a Jaleco STG developer round table interview from STG Gameside #8, and an interview with Hiroshi Kimura, President of Milestone, from the INH Radirgy superplay dvd. The Jaleco one is especially cool for fans of NMK, as they talk a bit about their relationship with them (one person in particular is an ardent fan, perhaps a long-lost relative of trap15?). I'd still like to find more interviews about Milestone from the programmers/designers themselves, but this will have to do for now.

On the non-shmup side there's a couple Phantasy Star interviews, which were part of a birthday present to a friend who's a fan of the series.

@Frenetic, no, I haven't gotten any volunteers for editing/formatting yet (not that I've been soliciting beyond that brief mention). shmuplations has over 100 interviews now, and I've got a tremendous backlog of really precious materials from BEEP! magazine and other sources... hope I can find the time for it all in 2014. Happy holidays everyone!
trap15

Post by trap15 »

blackoak wrote:The Jaleco one is especially cool for fans of NMK, as they talk a bit about their relationship with them (one person in particular is an ardent fan, perhaps a long-lost relative of trap15?).
Wow! That was a great interview. I didn't realize the team at Jaleco around then was so small :shock:

That A-kun is a total bro though, I'll have to meet him :)
@trap0xf | daifukkat.su/blog | scores | FIRE LANCER
<S.Yagawa> I like the challenge of "doing the impossible" with older hardware, and pushing it as far as it can go.
emphatic

Post by emphatic »

Wow, I'm gonna read that Jaleco interview right now. Thanks a bunch!
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

Excellent stuff as always, I always like a peek into lesser-known companies from time to time. Looking forward to more in '14, if you're up for it! :)
Plasmo

Post by Plasmo »

Jaleco? Fuck my ass, that's awesome!

Pleaze do moar. we're up for it.
I like chocolate milk

My highscores | Twitter | Twitch | YouTube
GSK

Post by GSK »

Hmm, it's a shame they didn't mention Cybattler in the Jaleco interview (or is that another NMK joint? I don't have a clue).

Caught a little error on the Milestone interview, too:
—I see. After Compile, how did you end up founding Milestone?

Kimura: I left Compile in December of 2012, and on April 22, 2003, I founded Milestone
blackoak wrote:@Frenetic, no, I haven't gotten any volunteers for editing/formatting yet (not that I've been soliciting beyond that brief mention)
You do now!