Bullet Heaven HD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
OmegaFlareX

Re: The Official Bullet Heaven HD Episode Thread

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Serraxor wrote:We also have a no-emulation policy, mostly to better deal with Youtube copyright junk, though in the grand scheme of things, I guess it doesn't matter whether we use legit copies of everything.
You might want to re-think that policy. It'll open up so much more content to cover and get some money back in your pockets. Chrontendo, for example, would not be possible if he had to track down hard copies of everything.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Yeah, as it stands, Ser's policy will remain legit, no matter what, he can only do either physically, and/or digitally from a legit online game shop (Steam/PSN/XBL/NTD/Etc...)
I've Come to Deliver Some Bad Luck!
DenT4F

Post by DenT4F »

Oh so nice to see you here Ser Flash and Daeruna!

I'm kind of new to this forum. I registered a while ago but haven't been active at all so I wasn't aware of this thread. Was wondering if your channel was well known around here. Sweet.

For reference, I just posted a comment on your Crimzon Clover review...
1up

Post by 1up »

Been watching the show for a while now and just now realised that theres the "show" and "EX" episodes? What's the difference?
AxelMill

Post by AxelMill »

EX episodes usually are about DLCs (in the case of DBCS), ports of already-reviewed games (Mushi, Strania, the latest one, retroactively) or notable updates. Also, there's no scoring.
DJ Incompetent

Post by DJ Incompetent »

Thank you. I think I'm going to buy it now. I only ever saw grainy tiny video of it in action.

It still reminds me of a slow Armed Police Batrider.
Shepardus

Post by Shepardus »

I enjoyed your RefRain review! The bullet patterns in this game do look quite splendid. I'll have to check out the game for myself, it seems like a real doujin gem.
NTSC-J: You know STGs are in trouble when you have threads on how to introduce them to a wider audience and get more people playing followed by threads on how to get its hardcore fan base to play them, too.
1CCs | Twitch | YouTube
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Yeah, these last several episodes have been very useful in helping me decide which doujins/main releases to buy. I appreciate laying out the different mechanics in RefRain because all together they look a little hard to figure out.
Xonatron

Post by Xonatron »

That is the best review ever on Score Rush Extended! I wish you could get rated in MetaCritic! It's so great to see someone fully appreciate our game.
Matthew Doucette, Xona Games
Score Rush Extended [PS4]: viewtopic.php?t=55520
Emuser

Post by Emuser »

Hey guys, I stumbled across your recent Zenodyne R video. I had never ran across your channel in the past and want to look at more videos later, but I just wanted to raise a few points mentioned earlier.

As far as tech points, bullet visibility, and ship speeds go I cannot say much because time consumption and ship preferences will vary from person to person. Some say it's bad and others don't have an issue with these, so these are neutral points for me. Concerning leaderboards, there are pros (competitive spirit) and cons (cheaters, possible dev limitations at the time) so this is also a neutral point for me. I just wanted to brush over a few other things mentioned, I'm hoping that I don't sound like a prick at some point about any of these since neither of us know each other:

Fire Arrow I feel was a good addition as another well rounded ship that isn't too fast, too slow, or too weak. Admittedly I haven't used it much because of it's later addition as a guest ship promoting the upcoming caravan shmup of the same name. There could be a discrepancy with it's stats due to it's guest nature people are not aware of, but Dualizer is actually quite strong with it's focused shot, and there's a trick to stack both shots at once. Spread shot alone is meh. The reason it's the first unlock yet one of the strongest ships is because it has a fixed movement speed at all times and later parts become tricky as a result.

The constant moving before enemies fire thing could be referred to as tap dodging, not a serious issue but a missed opportunity to mention it as such.

The main contention in the spotlight for me: you guys mention this game is far removed from bullet hell, but compare the gameplay and/or difficulty to Futari God and Espgaluda II at times. It felt misplaced in a way like taking one stance on an issue and then changing mid-way through an essay and reaching a different conclusion. I was a little disappointed that there wasn't a comparison to Toaplan games like Truxton(huge inspiration for this game), the Raiden series, or Psikyo games. These focus solely on survival and on less bullets that move faster than those in a bullet hell. If the number of bullets decreased but stayed the same speed as bullet hell, you'd end up with something like Exostorm that ceases to be anything at all. To compensate for not being a full blown bullet hell in a shmup, faster bullets are necessary otherwise people would have never coined the term "sniper tank" thanks to Raiden...or never die like a good arcade operator would have wanted them to (I'm looking at you Gradius I and II). Another minor point I am making with this is that panic shouldn't have been a minus if it acted as one as panic is a broad team and could apply to any shmup really, just differently across each one for different reasons.

To be honest I don't know if Futari God is really easy enough to give people a chance without some serious practice (having played Ultra I don't imagine the difficulty is significantly lower to the point that you don't need to memorize a lot of things). I understand based on the last posts that you guys cover recent ports and releases and have a no emulation policy, which is fine and I also don't know how familiar you guys are with Toaplan games before Batsugun, but I personally would have liked to see more of a nod to those, shedding a little bit of history on past games that this falls more in line with.

All of that being said, I know this game was probably a bit different than the norm for y'all. I can assume that time is a factor in making these episodes as well so there isn't time to explore everything. It's still cool that you all reviewed this game of course and promoted it, but the extent to which some points go were a little bit exaggerated in my opinion. I'm not saying there is a right or a wrong here because people are allowed to construct opinions, I just felt that there were a few fair points to bring up having cleared this game completely.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

Emuser wrote: To be honest I don't know if Futari God is really easy enough to give people a chance without some serious practice (having played Ultra I don't imagine the difficulty is significantly lower to the point that you don't need to memorize a lot of things).
cagar cleared it in a day
MarioNintendo

Re: Bullet Heaven HD

Post by MarioNintendo »

You have to be aware of Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo by now... Any chance it will appear on the show? :lol:
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

did you unironically recommend the steam controller for shmups? it doesn't even have a dpad
clippa

Post by clippa »

Hehe, I've seen him do that before. To be fair, he's very very good with an analogue stick - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0dbqSmSg71U&t=5m25s
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

here is my $40 poorly configured steering wheel
here is the steam controller

If I mapped the vertical movement to the pedals and randomly pressed it a few times, no one would suspect anything, I could say it's a good controller and recommend it based on this gameplay clip and people would tell me they want to get one right away
chempop

Post by chempop »

One of the best Ikaruga players in the country used the analogue stick on gamecube.
Maybe that speaks more to the terrible small d-pad on the gamecube controller :lol:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
clippa

Post by clippa »

Good point, very well made :D
chempop wrote:One of the best Ikaruga players in the country used the analogue stick on gamecube.
The xbox port of ikaruga has analogue controls, not sure if the pc version is the same.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

Um, Ser, if I may ask (that's if you're willing to post back here.) What's up with the x's?

I know it sounds like someone is being an ass somewhere, so I quote this...
Serraxor wrote:
charlie chong wrote: YOUR THE FOOL WHO SPENT "THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS" ON A YOU TUBE SHOW. MOST OF US COULD DO BETTER THAN YOU WE JUST DON'T HAVE ENOUGH PRECIOUS TIME TO WASTE COS WE ACTUALLY PLAY THE GAMES AND HAVE JOBS AND LIFE
He's probably right.

But not about the job thing. I've worked myself into the ground.
Indeed you worked yourself, but seriously, eff this Charlie Chong guy, he/she deserves just desserts. I just hope this doesn't mean you're giving up entirely all because of one asshole's remarks.
---
Edit/Update: I've gotten Ser's reply elsewhere, and got his point across.
clippa

Post by clippa »

There's a lot of love for you and your channel here, serraxor. Hope you're just having an off day.
Squire Grooktook

Post by Squire Grooktook »

Yeah, don't get down man. We love you.
RegalSin wrote:Japan an almost perfect society always threatened by outsiders....................

Instead I am stuck in the America's where women rule with an iron crotch, and a man could get arrested for sitting behind a computer too long.
Aeon Zenith - My STG.
NeoStrayCat

Post by NeoStrayCat »

clippa wrote:There's a lot of love for you and your channel here, serraxor. Hope you're just having an off day.
Yeah, well...>.> (see below...)
Squire Grooktook wrote:Yeah, don't get down man. We love you.
Indeed, but not all of shmup community here, I'm not naming names, for the sake of privacy concerns, it seems some users here in the forum aren't being nice here and trying to..."1UP" Ser. Besides, for those that harassed Ser, you should be ashamed, seriously. You know better then that than being assholes to him. Regardless, he already spoken his peace, and will not return.

Considering...
Serraxor wrote:Let this thread die.
Then you've should have asked the mods to lock it. Either way, hope you can fine you audience elsewhere, and "be attitude for gains!"
Cagar

Post by Cagar »

There are assholes* in every community. Looking and reading about this, I just want to say: Learning to separate your work from yourself and therefore not taking criticism or feedback personally, is a valuable thing to learn when producing content. (As seen here)

*Usually this just means people who do those aforementioned things.
Cee
Banned User

Post by Cee »

Cagar wrote:There are assholes* in every community.
Whilst occasionally true there are also just as many who pander to cry babies, it's pretty simple really if you can't handle criticism then don't publish your material on the internet and further more if you really care about developing something of value then not only should you expect criticism but should also desire and cherish it. Serraxors reaction is deeply deeply childish and unfortunately causes those who make legitimate points/criticisms to be demonized by all those people who seem to think the person being over emotional should be sided with because victim hood.
cave hermit

Post by cave hermit »

I get the impression that there's more to this than just whatever happened here (something to do with the steam controller review from what I can gather?).

I noticed over the past few days Ser's posting had become inexplicably bitter and pessimistic, and it gives me the impression that there's a lot more going on in his life than he lets on.

It wouldn't be that much of a stretch to say whatever happened just now was the last straw for him.