Bullet Heaven HD

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
EmperorIng

Re: The Official Bullet Heaven HD Episode Thread

Post by EmperorIng »

That's a hefty order, in terms of content production and your wallet! I hope you sell the games you review (and don't like!) in order to keep the cash flowing.
zendor118

Post by zendor118 »

Wow, in one season, you've basically covered all wii shmups. :P I kid, I kid... but seriously, I like the slick new intro and a big fan of the recent season 5 review format. Keep it up!
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

zendor118 wrote:Wow, in one season, you've basically covered all wii shmups. :P I kid, I kid...
Granted that list isn't long but omission of Ultimate(/Milestone) Shooting Collection (Chaos Field/Radirgy/Karous) and Sin and Punishment: Star Successor kind of leaves a big hole - so I don't think covering all Wii STGs in one season is a stated objective.

And as always, great Revolver360 Re:Actor (PC) review.
BTW do you now prefer the Hori Xbox 360 GEM Pad EX over the PDP Xbox 360 Versus Fighting Pad that you recommended in your Radiant Silvergun Revisited/PDP Vs. Fight Pad (XBLA/Hardware) review?
broken harbour

Post by broken harbour »

You aren't doing it wrong, I keep nearly all my games even if I don't like them. Hell I bought a sealed Robo Pit 2 because it was only $7. I know it's garbage but it was so cheap.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Serraxor wrote:In the case of Ultimate/Milestone Shooting Collection, I'm actually going to cover those guys on Dreamcast because I have this weird thing that keeps me from doing reviews from compilations.
I know where you are coming from and I would imagine that most STG enthusiasts would agree with you - but for North American STG neophytes the localization and platform would make the "Ultimate Shooting Collection" that much more accessible - not that I'm suggesting that Milestone's output is going to create any converts. But I'm sure that you'll at least mention the existence (and localization) of the Wii collection in passing (and possibly the Main Menu-Wii Remote: Left, Right, Left, Right, Up, Up, 1, 2 code to rotate the controls for TATE operation). I keep the Wii versions of the Milestone games and Castle Shikigami III around just in case I run into language problems with the original Japanese menus.
Serraxor wrote:the microswitches ended up giving out in about 2 years time
Your's had a good run - I think a micro-switch went intermittent on my PDP Xbox 360 Versus Fighting Pad after less than 6 months of light use.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Serraxor wrote:I'M TAKING A BREAK ALREADY!!
Who's stopping you? Feeling obligated to a quick turn around when someone shoves a review copy your way? :wink:

No Xbox 360 controller support :?: Oh - yay - right (the D-pad didn't work), that's why I was using xpadder with the GOG version. :mrgreen:
So I'm not the only one who feels that the PC version is more playable than the PS2 version. Another thumbs up! (for your review).

BTW the soundtrack seems to be the same as the one that was included in the INH Insanity DVD The Flash Desire: Raiden III superplay package.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Just a small thing to make your presentation a bit more professional. Look into kerning some.
Your logo looks like BULLET HEA VEN for example.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

That font has shit base kerning, is all. In Photoshop you can do per pair kerning by hand to adjust as needed.
This can probably be done in other programs as well. And it does not take that long either, but it will make things look a lot nicer.
ptoing

Post by ptoing »

Feel free to PM me images of what you got before you commit anything to video, if you want pointers.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Episode 121 - Mars Matrix

FYI Mars Matrix is VGA Compatible - never had a problem with my Japanese copy. Nonetheless:
  • Control: 3.5
  • Challenge: 5.0
  • Length: 5.0
  • Visuals: 4.0
  • Sound: 3.0
  • Ingenuity: 4.0
Personally I find Mars Matrix much easier one the eyes with a Hanzo/Toro RGB-VGA box with the scanline feature enabled - to the point that I view it as an essential Mars Matrix accessory - and I wouldn't call myself a scanline fetishist.

Great review as always, really looking forward to the Border Down one - not that I need any convincing.

EDIT: updated link to revised review.
Last edited by HydrogLox on Wed Jan 21, 2015 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Hope you didn't but pull the video because of that - didn't diminish the review.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

I have the North America version of Mars Matrix, and have never had problems running it through VGA.

EDIT- If it's not working through VGA for real you could try tricking it. I haven't done this for a while, but, IIRC you just boot it in standard definition using your interface of choice (S-Video, for example), then switch it out for VGA at some point. If that doesn't work you could try using a boot disk (depending on how comfortable you are with burning CDs for dreamcast--but it is quite easy, and I could tell you what software works if you need me to). I recommend the Sylverant PSO patcher as a boot disk, because it's totally legal and works quite well. Here is a link: https://code.google.com/p/sylverant/downloads/list
Note that I haven't tried the most recent version
Last edited by LordHypnos on Tue Jan 20, 2015 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
YouTube | Restart Syndrome | 1cclist | Go Play Mars Matrix
Solunas wrote:How to Takumi your scoring system
1) Create Scoring System
2) Make it a multiplier for your actual score
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

2nd'ed on the NA version running in VGA. Looks even better with scan lines.

Edit - Just saw Hydroglox mentioned it on the previous page :lol:
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Well, I was very tempted to post a slight critique of your review (Mostly constructive, I think), but then I realized that it's a review, and therefore completely an expression of opinion, plus you probably get enough flack from people as a shmup reviewer in general, so I'm not gonna.

However, I do strongly encourage you to put a little time into playing it some day and aim for something basic like "level 5 by the end of stage 1" very modest goal, but you'll really understand the game a lot better if you try. The game is not really as hard as you're making it out to be, at least not in the first couple stages (Stages 2 and 3 if you're playing for score, and 4 no matter what are really where it starts to get difficult). If you could get the hang of how to use the mosquito, you would see how unbelievably ingenious of a weapon it is, and don't even get me started on the flexible-and-simple-yet-incredibly-deep-scoring. I'm sure everyone has already seen me ranting and raving about it in every other thread in shmups chat. It just takes a little time to get the hang of the mosquito system and the rhythm.

Also, holy shit how the price has increased since I got mine only a year ago :( CIB Very Good Condition under $50

Oh, one last thing: did you ever get the VGA working?

Anyway. Thx for reviewing
1) Create Scoring System
LordHypnos

Post by LordHypnos »

Serraxor wrote:
LordHypnos wrote:you probably get enough flack from people as a shmup reviewer in general
Only from the die-hards who obsess over minutia. I all honesty, any review isn't for someone who already plays the game religiously; they're for people to make informed decisions as to whether the game is for them! :wink:

On the topic, our approach is to get more people in on the genre without them feeling like it's impenetrable. A lot of people tend to think that Mushihimesama Futari and Espgaluda IIBL, for example, have super-high barriers of entry when really it's games like Mars Matrix that demand much more out of its players.

On a side note, I knew going into this one that our opinions would definitely ruffle some feathers, especially when it turned out that Mars Matrix wasn't as casually playable as 90% of the other stuff we've looked at so far (we only just obtained it at PAX 2014). As I said, Mars Matrix definitely has its place, and that place is the 0.01% of players that can actually 1CC or no-miss this game. the difficulty spike in Stage 4 is insane, after all. To everyone else, it might be an excercise in pure frustration. A "7" is still respectable though.
Yeah, since posting that I more or less totally regretted it. Of course it's not going to get a perfect score with how hard the mosquito is to get the hang of. Probably not a good one to reccomend to someone who is scared away by a Futari BL clear or whatever. 7 isn't even a bad score, anyway

I can guarantee you it's awesome, though, if you ever do want to try. :wink:
1) Create Scoring System
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Any plans on reviewing Ketsui for Xbox or PS3?

What about pro gear? I would love to see this reviewed
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
Laughingman.s9

Post by Laughingman.s9 »

Serraxor wrote:
Laughingman.s9 wrote:Any plans on reviewing Ketsui for Xbox or PS3?

What about pro gear? I would love to see this reviewed
Progear, no; not without a supergun and PCB (of which we have neither.) Ketsui though? That was actually supposed to have been done in series 4, haha... We'll cover it by the end of series 6 though.
Look forward to it!
Kidnap the presidents wife without a plan...
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

Serraxor wrote:DUN DUN DUNNNNN... Episode 126 is live. Deep Blue: Kaitei Shinwa (PC Engine)
The video was like watching an AVGN (more like A"STG"N) episode without the hyperbolic style of the series.

Anyway, the game sure looks bad, the bagel without the hole among the tasty lines of bagels.
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

The question is now "Will Bullet Heaven survive its encounter with Planet Joker?"

Also, the Soukyogurentai review was very good. I likewise enjoyed the Mars Matrix and Bangai-O reviews. Could Deep Blue be harder than Mars Matrix? Mysteries abound!
HydrogLox

Post by HydrogLox »

Interesting. To me the presentation screams "Dodonpachi Maximum" - which isn't a bad thing.
Great find and a nice way of promoting it!
Alfred

Post by Alfred »

Serraxor wrote:Episode 131 is live - Shooting Love 200X (Xbox360)

Main post updated.
Hello i liked your review of Shooting Love 200X it was great thank you. Can i ask your Gamertag and the co hosts because i want to check out your scores please.
Gamertag: Alfred Saxon
Arcade: ENG
Kiken

Post by Kiken »

Serraxor, I seriously have no idea how you and Daeruna find Exzeal to be easier than Trizeal. Exzeal is easily Triangle Service's most difficult game (and a lot of that comes from the absurd 6th stage). As annoying as the final boss rush in DealtaZeal is, Exzeal is far more punishing.
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Serraxor wrote:Episode 132 is live - Jamestown: Legend of the Lost Colony (PC)
Your episode on Jamestown brought me tons of nostalgia. I really wish that the plus content ends up on Steam someday.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

Serraxor wrote:Episode 133 is live - Supercharged Robot Vulkaiser (PC)
IMO this game is kinda sloppy and looks awful, but I enjoyed it. I cruised through on easy and had a fun time. It has the oh-so titillating feature of learning more backstory about your companions the more you use them, ha.
I like the yellow hard-subs. Just like one of my Japanese animes!
Serraxor wrote:New EX Episode is live. XIIZEAL [Steam Ver.] (PC)
I don't think it's a coincidence that nearly everyone is obligated to sell XIIZeal for $12.00. I remember the PAL port having a +12 rating as well.

I like being able to play this and show a little support for Fujino (bring on DeltaZeal!), though the first few stages are pretty much "Here, hold on to your wiggle shot while enemies line up!"

Nice reviews; they convinced me to pick up Vulkaiser, in any respect!
S_Fang

Post by S_Fang »

Serraxor wrote:
Oniros wrote:I really wish that the plus content ends up on Steam someday.
That wold be really nifty.
The developers said nothing about it, other than they'll focus on the PS4 version in order to be a good product. I think is probable, just like Guacamelee! STCE from console to PC, so there's only waiting as a choice.

Also, great reviews, both Jamestown and XIIZEAL.
awry

Post by awry »

Bullet Heaven EX - Eschatos Revisited (Steam) wrote:In certain places, a wonderwitch can be revealed by shooting a specific spot. The longer she is on the screen, the more points she is worth when collected.
That can't be right. This guide says that "When you pick up one, the next one you pick up is [increased]... the values of the wonder witches are: 1k, 2k, 4k, 8k, 20k, 50k, 100k. Your multiplier is applied to the point values."
EmperorIng

Post by EmperorIng »

I'm glad DeltaZeal finally released; I'll probably try and pick it up with next week's paycheck.

It's good to see that all the good configurations of the XIIZeal port are present here as well. As for your point about graphics, I'd say that XIIZeal is a step down visually from DeltaZeal - the designs in Fujino's game, from sprites to the actual level design, feel a lot more considerate.
Stevens

Post by Stevens »

This was purchased based on your recommendation. Thanks!
You're sure to be in a fine haze about now, but don't think too hard about all of this. Just go out and kill a few beasts. It's for your own good. You know, it's just what hunters do! You'll get used to it.
ElOhTeeBee

Post by ElOhTeeBee »

I still read the thread (and watch the episodes). Might be all I can do as shmupping goes for a while; my hard drive got fried and it'll be a little bit before a replacement arrives :(
OmegaFlareX

Post by OmegaFlareX »

Someone linked the latest in the Something Awful shmups thread, so I watched it and a chunk of others. Pretty good stuff, but is there any particular reason you're not doing arcade titles? Is the lady your SO? I like her voice.