It's over, CAVE is dead... or maybe not...

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Muchi Muchi Spork

Re: It's over, CAVE is dead... or maybe not...

Post by Muchi Muchi Spork »

I'm not completely sure of the stage unlock calculations but this is up there with the funnest ios games of all time for me. It's like being able to go through the tweaking at the end of Cave game development during location tests for end difficulty. Add the 3rd stage and the 1-2-3 combos.

Awesome.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

I doubt Stage 3 and up is available in this game; the game seems focused on just doing Stages 1 and 2 over and over until you have enough firepower to murder everything (or until you give up and uninstall the game :P)

Anyways as budget as this game is, it's free, so I can't really complain about it much. It's a nice simple romp where I don't have to think too much about things like chaining. My only real complaints are "double tap to bomb" (DDP Maximum has "tap with two fingers to bomb" which is less accident-prone) and lack of obvious pause button and restart buttons.

As for stability (which seems to be a complaint in the last few pages), running this on an iPad 4 with iOS 9.2, no crashes so far.
Muchi Muchi Spork

I've played it a lot now, and maxed out type A. My biggest complaint is that it lets you upgrade the ships too much, making a clear way way too easy, even on later difficulty. You can end up with 6 men with 7 auto bombs each. It would be too much probably if they even added all 5 levels. My second biggest complaint is with the enemy clearing percents, at some points you're better off ramming your ship into enemies and bullets and setting off the autobomb to up your percent, and that feels stupid. Overall though it's a gift and I hope cave makes money on the ads. If they put the next levels up for like 1-2 dollar downloads it would be the quickest iOS purchases of my life.
rtw

Post by rtw »

On my iPhone 4S, iOS 8.4.1 the app crashes just before I get to the second boss :cry:
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Muchi Muchi Spork

It works on 4s with iOS 9.2. It has crashed on me before but not often.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Muchi Muchi Spork wrote:I've played it a lot now, and maxed out type A. My biggest complaint is that it lets you upgrade the ships too much, making a clear way way too easy, even on later difficulty. You can end up with 6 men with 7 auto bombs each. It would be too much probably if they even added all 5 levels. My second biggest complaint is with the enemy clearing percents, at some points you're better off ramming your ship into enemies and bullets and setting off the autobomb to up your percent, and that feels stupid. Overall though it's a gift and I hope cave makes money on the ads. If they put the next levels up for like 1-2 dollar downloads it would be the quickest iOS purchases of my life.
I have my best percentages with well placed bombs. 99.8% on stage 1, 98.54% stage 2.

Incidentally, maxing Type-A out first is the right decision. Type-A upgrades are triggers for new stage unlocks. I went with Type-C and consequently I'm even more banchou on the easy difficulties.
NTSC-J

Post by NTSC-J »

Cave actually made money from September through November of last year thanks to Gothic wa Mahou Otome.
Teufel_in_Blau

Post by Teufel_in_Blau »

Thanks for the positive news NTSC-J!

Whenever this three years old thread gets bumped I die a little inside. This is probably my most embarrassing thread on this forum and somehow turned into a CAVE-general thread. -.-

I'm sorry, everyone.
GaijinPunch wrote:I don't have 40 minutes to do anything other than fist myself these days.
BulletMagnet

Post by BulletMagnet »

NTSC-J wrote:Cave actually made money from September through November of last year thanks to Gothic wa Mahou Otome.
The evil SOB in me wants to go over to the "lolis in shmups" thread, link this, add a big "TOO BAD", and lock it. :P
apatia77

Post by apatia77 »

Kinda stopped playing the game, I have everything unlocked and like 800 credits and still have no idea how to unlock Stage 3 or how to unlock Red difficulty 1-2.

Well the game was free so no complain I guess.
colour_thief

Post by colour_thief »

NTSC-J wrote:Cave actually made money from September through November of last year thanks to Gothic wa Mahou Otome.
I know to us Cave is a shmup factory, but I was under the impression that they played a lot of different markets and one cellphone shmup is just a drop in the bucket as it were. Did the report actually attribute the net profit to that game? If so it's way better news than "Cave posted a small profit". It would mean a shmup offset the general profit challenge they are finding in all markets.
slateman

Post by slateman »

Finally had time to sit down with this thing. The patch update (Dec 22) says Other Secret Elements Added. Not sure what that is or if you guys covered it already.

Has anyone succeeded in hitting 100% on level 1? Is that an unlockable prerequisite?

Bomb Custom screen translation is roughly:
Bombs in Stock
Bomb Distance?
Bomb Duration

Common Custom changes your gauge type from Impossible to Possible. *shrug* (Just discovered that changes the style of your percentage gauge)

80% to unlock the next difficulty isn't it. Just got 87.16% on Stage 1 Normal - No hard mode.

Most of you guys are already done with this...but I'm curious. There *has* to be more, right? Gotta be a level 3. Eventually!
PC Engine Fan X!

Post by PC Engine Fan X! »

With the Dec. 22 update, I was finally able to play this newfangled iOS DDP game on a mini iPad 2 with iOS 9.2 setup -- and no crashes to worry about for that matter.

Did manage to score 100% on Stage 1 but am not sure what that unlocks upon reaching that particular milestone.

PC Engine Fan X! ^_~
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Pics or it didn't happen? That's very impressive.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Nice, new Black difficulty just added! It costs coins to play, manual bombs not allowed.

New common custom upgrades: 2 "indication change" upgrades, one "operator voice audition", and a 3rd AI player.

The new button on the bottom right after a stage is complete says "again" and let's you play again.

They fixed a bug where the stage select screen would display the number "99.08%" as "99.8%".
Last edited by rjosal on Fri Jan 29, 2016 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Also, I do believe PCE fan X hit 100% on stage one. I got 99.86% and I only missed one 2p tank which was in the middle of a string a tanks underneath the mid boss. Definitely would have gotten it if my ship was further left. By the way that means there's about 1429p in stage one.
ctr

Post by ctr »

Since the last update, the game always crashes while loading Stage 2. Strange since it worked before... I've tried disabling as much as possible to reduce memory usage, but it's no use. Device is iPad 2 with iOS 8.1.3. The device is officially unsupported so I don't really expect a fix. I'm not sure if updating iOS will help but I know it will break some other apps I'm using, so yeah.... I guess it's even more "ichimen bancho" now when I can only play the first stage.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

The new update has performance issues on my 6S, even on Easy Stage 1. Maybe they will fix it later.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

CAVE I'm not gonna question your business decisions or why you made a cheap upgrade-a-thon spinoff of SDOJ because hey, I don't know squat about Japanese business or game industry.

But at least put proper pause and "exit stage" buttons.
dlundh

Post by dlundh »

After the latest update there is a stage 3 to DDP: Ichimenbanchou. Strictly boss fight. I've only done it on easy so far but fully expect to be taering my hair when the difficulty ramps up.
astroid

Post by astroid »

ImageImageImage
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

Yeah there are 14 new stages I've been working through. The TLB form of the last boss is very difficult.
gs68

Post by gs68 »

With all the coins I need to farm, especially for the EX stages, this is just getting...eh. Don't know if I can be bothered to keep playing.

I'm assuming stuff happens eventually that lets you grind coins at a faster rate? But at any rate this game's becoming a chore, even if only stages 1 and 2 being available is the whole point of the game.
rjosal

Post by rjosal »

The stage 2s give you almost 20 coins per play, so by playing those stages first I haven't ever had to grind coins, and I play a new stage with every play unless I fail which I have a few times. You'll still have enough coins to get a couple of the new 100 coin upgrades.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

these voices sound like someone's 1st attempt at vocaloid
i'm seriously worried about cave's capability to not fuck something up now
CloudyMusic

Post by CloudyMusic »

Have you heard the English operator in the iOS port of DFK? It's even worse :lol:

https://youtu.be/PK75Cr5HfpU?t=1m21s
gs68

Post by gs68 »

Best example is the warning she gives before Longhena attacks: she sounds very stressed in JP, but absolutely robotic in EN.
Bananamatic

Post by Bananamatic »

robotic is acceptable, especially for the operator

this is like a bad vocaloid that randomly changes its talking speed mid sentence
Oniros

Post by Oniros »

Late af but this is great news. Enough to lock this thread IMO, or at least should be it renamed to "DDP Ichimen Bancho general" or something.
Squire Grooktook wrote:
Captain wrote:The future of shmups is the past.
*Yagawa smiles with the teeth of a shark*

*cue Heavy Day*
The Armchair General

Post by The Armchair General »

Bananamatic wrote:these voices sound like someone's 1st attempt at vocaloid
i'm seriously worried about cave's capability to not fuck something up now
Am I the only one who's more appalled by the ship shooting sound effect than the voices?