Special Demonstrations #18: Leiria -Stargazer- (12.6.23)

This is the main shmups forum. Chat about shmups in here - keep it on-topic please!
Skykid

Re: Battle Garegga: Special Demonstrations (replay #1 releas

Post by Skykid »

Wow, she topped it. I'm in awe.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

D

Post by D »

Incredible, thanks
Weak Boson

Post by Weak Boson »

This is amazing. Thank you Icarus and if for some reason you haven't already I hope you let Kamui know how much western players appreciate this. What a great gift.
z0mbie90

Post by z0mbie90 »

Like everyone else I can just say Awesome. I just have one question, is it possible for you to upload it so people can download it, or maybe get an torrent?
I watched it on youtube, but had to reload it many times, I get alot of problems from youtube, videos stop and all kind of weirds things.

But other then that, awesome done Icarus and can't wait to see more what you have planned :D
Jeneki

Post by Jeneki »

Just put "download youtube video" into your favorite search engine, there are plenty of tools out there. :)
Typos caused by cat on keyboard.
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Skykid wrote:Wow, she topped it. I'm in awe.
She obliterated it last year, though it is interesting that she used the same high score entry as her fail scores for it.
I doubt that run is recorded as well. Which is a shame, because if I was in her position, scoring that much on a regular basis, I'd be asking the arcade clerk for a DVD copy of every run that came close to it. :p
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

I said I was open to commentary translations, and endoKarb has provided the very first one, into Italian! Thanks mate!
Those who prefer to read the commentary in Italian can find it here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz74nh8YU7M (link also in first post).
I've also added zakk's .ass subtitle conversion to the OP.

Things are starting to silently move here, and there could be some very good things coming soon, so fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for all the comments so far.
PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Icarus wrote:I said I was open to commentary translations, and endoKarb has provided the very first one, into Italian! Thanks mate!
Those who prefer to read the commentary in Italian can find it here; https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lz74nh8YU7M (link also in first post).

Things are starting to silently move here, and there could be some very good things coming soon, so fingers and toes crossed. Thanks for all the comments so far.
That is cool!! Thanks for doing work like that Endokarb!
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
CIT

Post by CIT »

Just finished watching the replay. Great work on the editing/presentation Icarus!

It's hard to believe that there's still more upside potential in Kamui's score. I'm guessing the 21 mil. will boil down to luck on the random parts (flamingos, BH2 grenades)?

I'm really looking forward to seeing some top level play with some of the more unpopular characters/ships.
coturnix

Post by coturnix »

Another question that popped my mind. About the green plane milking in the sky stage, you say that in can be done twice in the stage. Is there something that makes this milking finite, or could it be done ad eternum? Was thinking that once she gets that lucky BH2/birds combo the only secure way to improve score afterwards would be that tedious plane milking in the sky stage.
endoKarb

Post by endoKarb »

PROMETHEUS wrote:
Icarus wrote:I said I was open to commentary translations, and endoKarb has provided the very first one, into Italian! Thanks mate!

That is cool!! Thanks for doing work like that Endokarb!
Heh, I like translating. :mrgreen: I hope to do more work like this in the future.

It looks like the Italian community is slowly starting to come back from it's long slumber. Even AST-PEY, the western record holder in Esp Ra.de. and DOJ White, has resurfaced. Apparently he's coming back for SDOJ!

There's not much of a following for Yagawa games here. These kind of videos are exactly what could make the genre more popular.
"Compendaria res improbitas, virtus longa."
jepjepjep

Post by jepjepjep »

Would there be much to be gained by driving up rank earlier in the game? Since she can survive the end of the game at near max rank and she tries to drive it up for BH2, could this be another way to add more tick points (or do more enemies appear with higher rank)?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

coturnix wrote:Another question that popped my mind. About the green plane milking in the sky stage, you say that in can be done twice in the stage. Is there something that makes this milking finite, or could it be done ad eternum? Was thinking that once she gets that lucky BH2/birds combo the only secure way to improve score afterwards would be that tedious plane milking in the sky stage.
It appears to be finite. I'm not entirely sure how it works exactly, as I've only seen her do it a handful of times now, but from what I gather, there may be a secondary health rating for targets within the deadzone that ticks down as you're shooting it, probably determined by rank. This is necessary as it would be boring to milk them ad infinitum otherwise. If you watch this, the 18.9mil run from Stunfest, and the two livestreamed Stunfest replays carefully, you'll notice that after a certain time, the drone is destroyed even in the deadzone.

I've seen her do that trick in two separate places in stage 5, so it might be likely she'll need both in a 21mil run. The thing is, it's only a small amount of points gained compared to other places, but at this level, the most extreme optimisations are necessary.
jepjepjep wrote:Would there be much to be gained by driving up rank earlier in the game? Since she can survive the end of the game at near max rank and she tries to drive it up for BH2, could this be another way to add more tick points (or do more enemies appear with higher rank)?
I don't think so. Driving rank too high too early makes some key targets, such as the propellers on the flying platforms in stage 5, very difficult to destroy. I would think that in Kamui's case, the right time to drive up rank is just as she starts to fight Nose Laughin 2, since at this point, rank control is pretty much not required at a high-level of play. The trick with the two circling green drones seems to add to this case.
charlie chong

Post by charlie chong »

just want to say thanks to kamui and icarus for this replay 8)
one day i will beat that glow squid (or so i keep telling myself)
Icarus

Re: Special Demonstrations 2: Dodonpachi DOJBL (PMT, 2.52bn

Post by Icarus »

I'm happy to finally release Special Demonstrations #2: Dodonpachi Daioujou Black Label to the public! This replay features our very own Prometheus beasting DOJBL for a 2.52bil 2-ALL with A-Exy, and is an extremely impressive run all round.

This came about more from a general query, replying to a comment made in this thread. I just asked him if he was thinking about doing anything with the MAME input for this score, and things progressed from there. Capturing the source material for the replay was the most difficult, as Cave games have this flickery alternating graphical animation on things like ship shadows that doesn't show up very well on 30fps videos unless you capture in 60fps and then frame interpolate into 30fps.

The biggest problem here was getting the source in 60fps initially, as FRAPS hates emulation - I had to use MAME's aviwrite option to record, but even then the source refused to play ball in anything other than Virtualdub, crashing both avidemux and Final Cut Pro before I could do anything. Eventually managed to get Virtualdub to process the replay into a source file that worked nicely in Final Cut. The actual edit only took a day of work to complete, and the replay was actually uploaded a week ago, but I left Prometheus to annotate the run, as I wanted this one to be commented by the player himself. He also chose the intro track, so don't shoot me for that one. ^_-

I've provided the .xml for the annotations for anyone that wants to translate the annotations for uploading, or wants to convert the .xml into a subtitle file using zakk's method.

Thanks for the assist and the original MAME input, PMT! Enjoy the replay, everyone!
chempop

Post by chempop »

I just finished watching Special Demonstration #1 and returned to see that #2 is here :D
Wow, can't wait to see the DOJ-BL run. Any chance of doing a Dimahoo demonstration down the road? :mrgreen:
"I've had quite a few pcbs of Fire Shark over time, and none of them cost me over £30 - so it won't break the bank by any standards." ~Malc
Softdrink 117

Post by Softdrink 117 »

Wish I had time to check this out right now; I'm a huge fan of DOJ, and Prom's runs have been massively inspiring. I'll definitely put some time aside to watch this in the next couple days.

I'll second the Dimahoo request, actually. It's a game that has always intimidated me because of the complexity of the system and the reputation for being absurdly difficult. Would really love to see some high-level commentary deconstructing and demystifying the game.
1CC List | youtube | twitch
I love Ibara.
rtw

Post by rtw »

Brilliant presentation and packaging Icarus, and fantastic gameplay by Kamui :mrgreen:

edit: Use SubtitleEdit http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit for all conversion needs!
Last edited by rtw on Sun Jun 02, 2013 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
http://world-of-arcades.net
The future of ST-V rests upon our work and your work
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

chempop wrote:Any chance of doing a Dimahoo demonstration down the road? :mrgreen:
Softdrink 117 wrote:I'll second the Dimahoo request, actually. It's a game that has always intimidated me because of the complexity of the system and the reputation for being absurdly difficult. Would really love to see some high-level commentary deconstructing and demystifying the game.
If Zeron is around and can make a ShmupMAME input, I have no problem with cooking up a Great Mahou episode.
Alternatively, someone put me in touch with the top Japanese GMD players.
rtw

Post by rtw »

I'm trying to convert the Dodonpachi Daioujou BL (Prometheus, 2.52bn 2-ALL, A-Exy) to .ass and .srt

The script has the wrong URL embedded but that is easily fixed by:

Code: Select all

url = "https://www.youtube.com/annotations_invideo?features=1&legacy=1&video_id=" + video_id
I get the youtubeid.ass file but I cannot get it to load. I have tried VLC and BsPlayer.

Searching the web gives all kinds of tools but none seem to actually work.

Does anyone have a link to a tool which will convert the .xml to .srt ?
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

Last time I did an .xml to subtitle file conversion (to .srt), I was using SubtitleEdit: http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit
I just uploaded a new .xml as it saved as a Word XML document last time, with a crapload of extra tags.
You're better off attempting to convert to an .ass subtitle file as it has formatting and positioning support. .srt sucks .ass :P
Skykid

Post by Skykid »

Sweet, a run of the greatest shmup evah. I'll be watching this over coffee tomorrow morning.
Always outnumbered, never outgunned - No zuo no die

PROMETHEUS

Post by PROMETHEUS »

Mega thanks to Icarus for stellar work <3
I am happy that this run gets to live on youtube in this format :)
Scores, replays, videos || I have written a guide about getting good at shmups. Check it out !
Follow me on Twitch??
Icarus

Post by Icarus »

PROMETHEUS wrote:I am happy that this run gets to live on youtube in this format :)
Icarus wrote:I believe that great players deserve great quality replays
^_-
enjirube

Post by enjirube »

46 minutes well spent, splendid video ICR and what a run PMT :shock:
死ぬがよい。
rtw

Post by rtw »

Icarus wrote:Last time I did an .xml to subtitle file conversion (to .srt), I was using SubtitleEdit: http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit
I just uploaded a new .xml as it saved as a Word XML document last time, with a crapload of extra tags.
You're better off attempting to convert to an .ass subtitle file as it has formatting and positioning support. .srt sucks .ass :P
Thanks for the tip, I know .ass is better but as long as my players refuse to load it SubRip will have to do.

edit:
The .ass/.ssa files generated from SubtitleEdit work ok :shock:
Reiko

Post by Reiko »

Nice videos man. I liked that you added in some notes on basic mechanics in the daioujou video. Makes it more appealing to people who may stumble upon the video on youtube and could take an interest in the game, and help them understand what's going on a little bit.
zakk

Post by zakk »

rtw wrote:
Icarus wrote:Last time I did an .xml to subtitle file conversion (to .srt), I was using SubtitleEdit: http://www.nikse.dk/subtitleedit
Thanks for the tip, I know .ass is better but as long as my players refuse to load it SubRip will have to do.

edit:
The .ass/.ssa files generated from SubtitleEdit work ok :shock:

The .ass generated from the script I used (which I think was the one you tried initially) loaded just fine in VLC, maybe it's some VLC version issue.

Also double check that the .ass was generated correctly, the original script I used didn't properly handled line breaks and i can see that being something someone else gets wrong too. Easiest way to tell is to look at the boss name annotations
rtw

Post by rtw »

zakk wrote:The .ass generated from the script I used (which I think was the one you tried initially) loaded just fine in VLC, maybe it's some VLC version issue.

Also double check that the .ass was generated correctly, the original script I used didn't properly handled line breaks and i can see that being something someone else gets wrong too. Easiest way to tell is to look at the boss name annotations
Thanks for the info, would you mind sharing your modified script ?
Deca

Post by Deca »

Really appreciating your choice of games for this!
1CC List To miss is human; to rank control, divine.
“Fly to live and shoot ‘em all!” – Manabu Namiki